• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

55 Hours into this game and it's managing to throw the occasional tutorial pop-up message about mechanics.

Some Radiant Skills give weapon skills a special effect, enabling the skill to trigger a Session when it is used on an enemy with a certain status ailment, regardless of that enemy's defensive resistance.

Like, I can barely understand what that means and what I'm supposed to do with that information.

Razmos

55 Hours into this game and it's managing to throw the occasional tutorial pop-up message about mechanics.

Like, I can barely understand what that means and what I'm supposed to do with that information.
It's because you just got Eleonora's Radiant Skill that lets her session from enemies regardless of weakness if they have a status effect.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

It does read a bit awkwardly, but how I interpret it is that certain radiant skills have passive effects that cause your weapon abilities to auto-trigger a session regardless of weakness. Like an enemy normally strong to lances would still trigger a session when using a lance special attack IF you have that radiant skill because it overrides the requirement for a weakness to trigger. Just my guess on what he means, haven't played far enough yet to see those types of radiant skills yet.

There are Radiant Skills that let you bypass resistances for weapon skills to start Sessions if the enemy is afflicted with a certain condition

IIRC Tsubasa and Ellie have them

Giolon

Thank you! This is at least somewhat helpful. Already filled in some of the the weapons I missed. Still feel like my character levels and Stage Ranks are getting leveled at a different rate than my weapons, but I guess that's how she goes.

The component you're likely missing is Macca Converters that come from rare enemy spawns (orange cloak, gold shimmer, they run away from you instead of into you). There's a couple posts on GameFAQs on where you can force these rare spawns pretty easily.

I've been wandering around block 3 of the Shibuya Illusory and I can't figure out where to go. Clown mentions a skill that makes you flash and I'm supposed to use a skill that makes me flash, but I don't think I have it.

Giolon

I've been wandering around block 3 of the Shibuya Illusory and I can't figure out where to go. Clown mentions a skill that makes you flash and I'm supposed to use a skill that makes me flash, but I don't think I have it.

That's not relevant at all to solving that dungeon. It may have just been a mention of a weakness for the boss.

Illusory Shibuya was pretty maze like. I remember that last section involves making the correct jump down somewhere, but there are only 2 "buttons" to press in the whole thing - the blue carpet button in the 2nd area, and the red carpet button in the 3rd.

Kaname

Oh my god, I just dumped all of my saved up incenses into two characters and it turned them into fucking monsters.

I did that to bring Tsubasa and Kiria MAG over 100 :p
They were dealing massive damage, around 800-1000 hp per hit, with every weakness magic.

Reached Chapter 5 Intermission.
Dark Yashiro took forever

Got my first 6-star prestige and my Unity Notifier had like 30 messages that things were ready to make

That's not relevant at all to solving that dungeon. It may have just been a mention of a weakness for the boss.

Illusory Shibuya was pretty maze like. I remember that last section involves making the correct jump down somewhere, but there are only 2 "buttons" to press in the whole thing - the blue carpet button in the 2nd area, and the red carpet button in the 3rd.

He was probably referring to Lightoma. I never used it in I.Shibuya but it probably shows you the lines of sight for the cameras if you needed them.

Oh, that's Lightoma. I believe Touma gets that skill at some point? You don't need it get through the dungeon, but it is helpful since it lights up the "danger zones" for all the cameras throughout the level (and for other traps throughout the game).

EDIT: Oh, beaten.

Frimaire

I did that to bring Tsubasa and Kiria MAG over 100 :p
They were dealing massive damage, around 800-1000 hp per hit, with every weakness magic.

Yeah, I put all the MAG into Kiria and all STR into Ellie.
Ellie also had 100 SKL even before incenses, so with Shura soul she crits like all the time.
Myriad arrows pretty much destroys everything that isn't resistant to arrows...

I found the red switch! Ran past it a bunch of times I guess.

Reached Chapter 5 Intermission.
Dark Yashiro took forever

Got my first 6-star prestige and my Unity Notifier had like 30 messages that things were ready to make

He was probably referring to Lightoma. I never used it in I.Shibuya but it probably shows you the lines of sight for the cameras if you needed them.

that boss is really annoying, especially last phase lol

aBarreras

Really? it seems pretty basic :S some characters dont need to have a weapon or elemental advantage to start a attack session IF the enemy is for example, Poisoned, sleep etc etc

For "good ending" just need to a) do all sidequests and b) talk to them before the end part - right?

Just making sure because all these random fetch quests I've been doing nilly willy. None are completely necessary unless you want the item that it gives as a reward right?

Giolon

So, about 30 hours into this game (on Chapter 4), and my biggest criticism is the Session system. Sure, it's fun when you can use your team to pile on the enemies and just obliterate them, but the opposite is perhaps the most un-fun I've had in a game.

There's no fun of walking into a fight and having only a single character be able to take a single move, and, and then have a cavalcade of enemy Sessions wipe your entire team out with no possible recourse that you could have ever had to prevent it from happening.

It certainly encourages a "save everywhere, save often" mindset, but I can't help but think there would've been a way to moderate it to make the situation less frustrating.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guess I should take a break from ZTD & finish up Ch. 4, especially since I saved outside a boss door.

Probably will figure this out on my own, but might as well ask,
I reached Door 1 via the panel room. Is there a way to get to the other 2 staircases on the final row? I tried teleporting to the other portal, but it didn't stay in the formation I wanted.

muteki

Back in after vacation and I just finished what I assume is the mid-boss for chapter 2.

I'm kinda conflicted in the boss battles, of whether or not to pay any attention to the mob or not, or just focus on the boss. First boss I went through the effort only to have them all get called back a turn or two later, so I wasn't going to try for it again. In chapter 2 now, after attempting this I was nearly sessioned to death by the mob, so I guess it was a dumb idea.

Kiria's ad-lib saved me, and I'm starting to get Ma- spells so it should get easier, but quite a bit of that fight was left to serendipity. I should stay on top of the side quests because had I not done it halfway through the dungeon probably would have been wiped out.

Also really like this dungeon in comparison to Chapter 1. Being able to look out over the layout and figure out where to go was more fun to navigate for me.

Back in after vacation and I just finished what I assume is the mid-boss for chapter 2.

I'm kinda conflicted in the boss battles, of whether or not to pay any attention to the mob or not, or just focus on the boss. First boss I went through the effort only to have them all get called back a turn or two later, so I wasn't going to try for it again. In chapter 2 now, after attempting this I was nearly sessioned to death by the mob, so I guess it was a dumb idea.

Kiria's ad-lib saved me, and I'm starting to get Ma- spells so it should get easier, but quite a bit of that fight was left to serendipity. I should stay on top of the side quests because had I not done it halfway through the dungeon probably would have been wiped out.

Also really like this dungeon in comparison to Chapter 1. Being able to look out over the layout and figure out where to go was more fun to navigate for me.

I feel like I've been having good success taking the adds out right away, then focusing the main mob - whether or not he re-summons them. I haven't died to a "major" chapter boss using this strat (died to some side story bosses).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Might need some help with Lucky Spot 4.
"3rd floor of the studio". Does that mean the Idolasphere at Daiba Studio?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Okay, thanks. It sounds like I just need to progress further since I had to do another "leave the dungeon to find something to advance the plot" thing.

lol at
Ellie being told she was "chewing the scenery" & her reaction

Guess I should take a break from ZTD & finish up Ch. 4, especially since I saved outside a boss door.

Probably will figure this out on my own, but might as well ask,
I reached Door 1 via the panel room. Is there a way to get to the other 2 staircases on the final row? I tried teleporting to the other portal, but it didn't stay in the formation I wanted.
You can't get to parts of the LCD Panel room before the midboss. You go in through door 4 afterwards which gives you access to what you need to get to Door 2

that boss is really annoying, especially last phase lol

I used like 10 Beads and 3 Rakukaja stones because I took Rakukaja off of Itsuki. Until the end I kept Counter active on
Yashiro
to minimize damage

Shin-chan

So, about 30 hours into this game (on Chapter 4), and my biggest criticism is the Session system. Sure, it's fun when you can use your team to pile on the enemies and just obliterate them, but the opposite is perhaps the most un-fun I've had in a game.

There's no fun of walking into a fight and having only a single character be able to take a single move, and, and then have a cavalcade of enemy Sessions wipe your entire team out with no possible recourse that you could have ever had to prevent it from happening.

It certainly encourages a "save everywhere, save often" mindset, but I can't help but think there would've been a way to moderate it to make the situation less frustrating.

Agreed. Press turn was limited so that you could have a maximum amount of attacks per turn and you could only get an extra turn from an enemy once. This just lets you go ham on any enemy as long as you hit a weak point.

It's annoying to sit through the animations but like you said the enemy can go ham against you and you're generally a lot squishier than they are. Once one team member goes down you end up in a cycle of revive, die, revive die, until you manage to avoid it by RNG or because you just fucking quit and load the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished Mamori's 2nd side-story.....that wasn't the Duo Art I was expecting to unlock, but hey, glad to have a 2nd one now.

Also damn it, how much longer until Mamori can get the ability to do sessions while in the subcast.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Finished Mamori's 2nd side-story.....that wasn't the Duo Art I was expecting to unlock, but hey, glad to have a 2nd one now.

Also damn it, how much longer until Mamori can get the ability to do sessions while in the subcast.
You can check which stage level she needs through the radiant unity discriptions, but it's probably at the same rank as everyone else.

Kevinroc

Finished up chapter 2. I used up far too many recovery items, but I finally beat that boss.

Now doing some of the sidequests during the intermission. Toma sidequest 1 was definitely not built for the levels my characters are currently at.

BTA

How many chapters does the game have? And what do I need to do for the perfect ending exactly?

There are
chapters. (I feel like I asked this myself earlier in the thread without spoiler tags, oops, but maybe people don't want to know.)

To get the true ending:
1. Do all three side stories for every character before you fight the final boss
Talk to each of them (Barry and Maiko included) before you end the epilogue

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The ranks are different per character. For Tsubasa and Touma, it was Rank 8. For Kiria, it's Rank 9. Eleanor, Rank 6.
I think it's Rank 7 for Mamori. I have the special Perform needed, but it seems I need 5-Star Prestige to unlock it, because the skill is now in my Radiant Unity list.

Also damn, almost at 40 hours.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Breezing through this game on hard then I hit chapter 3 mid boss at level 30 and get floored. Not sure what to do now, I guess grind?

daemonic

Banned
Breezing through this game on hard then I hit chapter 3 mid boss at level 30 and get floored. Not sure what to do now, I guess grind?

Same thing happened to me. I thought I would be overpowerd for the fight. My strategy was to wipe out the minions first, then focus all attacks on the boss. When the support enemies respawn try charming or confusing them. Also, using the occasional attack mirror doesn't hurt.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yay, Tsubasa's 3rd side-story completed.

.........so yeah, that wedding dress "cover-up" looks kind of tacky, especially when it just looks like she's really pale in the CGI part.

NOW to actually finish Ch. 4.

Edit: lol, this pre-boss cutscene.....which results in
another Duo Art? Well okay, that's neat!
Also,
DAMN YOU, TARACHINO, JUST BEFORE THE BEST PART

....all I can think of when I see Ch. 4's boss is
those ships from Tron.

Finished the game a few hours ago and had a great time with it from start to finish. I hope the game sold well enough to encourage Nintendo and Atlus to work together again. Reviews were overall positive and word of mouth seemed to be spreading as well.

I played on Normal and finished the game and all side quests in just under 50 hours. I managed to finish the final boss fight on the first try, but it got pretty tense about 3/4 way through. Got a duo performance at a very crucial time to save me from wasting a turn on healing. I was lvl 60 with sub-cast at around 55-56.

Hoping everyone else is having/had as much fun as I did.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Quick question about Ch. 4's boss.

Was I suppose to focus on the other dude, or just the main enemy? He just left the battle afterwards, but I wonder if I would've gotten anything for beating both of them.

ohlawd

Quick question about Ch. 4's boss.

Was I suppose to focus on the other dude, or just the main enemy? He just left the battle afterwards, but I wonder if I would've gotten anything for beating both of them.
just the main enemy. He says the same thing as him leaving if you beat him first. no extra drops iirc

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, okay. Didn't want to bother with retrying the battle just to satisfy my curiosity.

Sweet, think I can FINALLY break those barriers, or at the very least get some sweet new skills.

1. Should I really be upgrading my class to the one I don't want first? And then change to the one I do want after?

2. What is the gimmick to the chapter 5 dungeon? Something with the doors and the screens after you get teleported back?

3. Do you ever end up having to make decisions on what type of session skills you use? I haven't had to replace one yet and I'm about 30 hours in

Not having Session animations be skippable seems like a baffling oversight. Special Performances and Ad-Libs both are, but they only trigger like one in ten battles, whereas you have to sit through like six Sessions in every fight. Now that I've got everyone but
Mamori
able to join in when they aren't in the active party I'm getting six-hit Sessions pretty much every time, and I find myself just staring out the window until they're over. And I'm only in Chapter 4, so I've got a loooot more of this ahead of me.

1. Should I really be upgrading my class to the one I don't want first? And then change to the one I do want after?
Optimally, Yes.
You have to do both classes if you want to get all session skills.

2. What is the gimmick to the chapter 5 dungeon? Something with the doors and the screens after you get teleported back?

Follow the numbers.
018769 is the order given by the mirage next to the entrance door. Note down the position of the numbers on the screen and go to those numbers in the order 018769.
What most people seem to miss out on is that 0 is not the entrance door, but part of the 8 doors you have to go to.

3. Do you ever end up having to make decisions on what type of session skills you use? I haven't had to replace one yet and I'm about 30 hours in

Most will not have to deal with this issue.
There are extra session skills are locked to two +1 weapons per character.
Note: Do not go out of your way to get them early on, they are not better than what you can get from the default set.
you also get an extra session slot for each character's rank 20 radiant unity

Top Bottom