• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Dee Dee

There's a play record of beating 100 if you care about that

The play records are so awesome sometimes.
I got one named "sausagefest", for having no girls in the party for a few fights I assume?
I also got one called "Me vs. The World" and I think I got that one for bumping into a specific number of pedestrians on the world map. Hahaha.

I wish there was less backtracking though, and I spent 2 hours last night unlocking the special areas in the 106 dungeon, just to run out of treasure keys as I finally unlock my last missing area. The mannequin puzzle made my loose my sanity eventually as well.

I am stuck on the arena troll quest too. Is there a list of the monsters I need to find and their locations? It's tedious to the max. Don't see myself 100% all the random side quest. That Bancho guy needs to give up on Momoko already!!!

And yet, I can't wait to get home and continue playing.

Peff

The play records are so awesome sometimes.
I got one named "sausagefest", for having no girls in the party for a few fights I assume?
I also got one called "Me vs. The World" and I think I got that one for bumping into a specific number of pedestrians on the world map. Hahaha.

I wish there was less backtracking though, and I spent 2 hours last night unlocking the special areas in the 106 dungeon, just to run out of treasure keys as I finally unlock my last missing area. The mannequin puzzle made my loose my sanity eventually as well.

I am stuck on the arena troll quest too. Is there a list of the monsters I need to find and their locations? It's tedious to the max. Don't see myself 100% all the random side quest. That Bancho guy needs to give up on Momoko already!!!

And yet, I can't wait to get home and continue playing.

* Chapter 1 - Harajuku
* Chapter 1 - Illusory Daitama, lower level
* Chapter 2 - Illusory 106, 6th floor
* Chapter 3 - Illusory Shibuya, 2rd floor 3nd section
* Chapter 4 - Illusory Daitou, Film Set A 2nd floor
* Chapter 5 - Illusory Daiba, LCD screens
* Chapter 6 - Illusory 106, 3rd floor basement
* Chapter 6 - Illusory Daitou, Film Set B 1st floor
* Chapter 6 - Illusory Daiba, after the right side door from the entrance
* Chapter 6 - Illusory Dolhr, 232m level (must clear 333m level first)

Finally beat the game. Clocked at 55 hours on hard mode with all carnages unlocked and all dungeons looted

A quick impression:

+ Engaging battle system, though the later battles take a really long time. I wish they added a fast forward option.
+ Drip feeding the game/upgrade system so players don't get overwhelmed
+ Likeable characters bar Barry
+ Great dungeon designs

- Unskipable cutscenes
- Loading time, Although it's not very long, it's still too often.
- Topic. It appears too often, and being only accessable through the gamepad annoys me greatly.
- Boring sidequests.

Overall I think the positves far outweigh the negatives, and I did really enjoy the game.
I would definitely recommend this game to any SMT or JRPG fans in general.

SPOILER
And I've read there are two endings? Can anyone tell me the endings?
I got the director ending.

Draxal

Finally beat the game. Clocked at 55 hours on hard mode with all carnages unlocked and all dungeons looted

A quick impression:

+ Engaging battle system, though the later battles take a really long time. I wish they added a fast forward option.
+ Great dungeon designs

- Unskipable cutscenes
- Topic. It appears too often, and being only accessable through the gamepad annoys me greatly.
- Boring sidequests.

Overall I think the positves far outweigh the negatives, and I did really enjoy the game.

SPOILER

Ending Spoilers.

That's the true ending. The normal ending doesn't have the post credit director scene

tm24

Fucking Gangrel. I hate him so much. I don't see how i can do this without a massive shitload amount of attack mirrors

Shin-chan

A quick impression:

+ Great dungeon designs

- Unskipable cutscenes
- Boring sidequests.

SPOILER
Agree with your complaint regarding the loading. No one loading time is anywhere close to too long, but they are far too frequent. Between momentary delays in loading up the game menus and transitioning between sections of it, and going back to fortune to go to bloom palace to go back to fortune to finally go back to where you need to go to enter the idolosphere, it's just way too much. They should have let you install some stuff to the HDD to lessen this, especially with how frequently you are prompted to go in the first few dungeons.

Actually I agree with your whole summary, except I'd add another negative being samey boss fights with too many adds, but another positive being art style and use of colour in the UI.

FluxWaveZ

I never used mirrors of any kind. Actually, I thought that the -karn abilities would do that, but they only nullify the attacks. I used those several times.

I never used mirrors of any kind. Actually, I thought that the -karn abilities would do that, but they only nullify the attacks. I used those several times.

Is there a character that can actually learn Tetrakarn and Makarakarn? I only saw Tetraguard and Makaraguard so far

FluxWaveZ

Is there a character that can actually learn Tetrakarn and Makarakarn? I only saw Tetraguard and Makaraguard so far

Oh wait, maybe the latter are what they were actually called? Maybe I always mentally ignored the suffix because I thought it'd be the spells I'm familiar with, but if the only ones the characters can learn are the latter, that would explain it.

Rodin

Beaten chapter 1 and did Touma's sidequest. I chuckled quite a bit. Now i have to do Tiki's.

Enjoying this game immensely.

Agree with your complaint regarding the loading. No one loading time is anywhere close to too long, but they are far too frequent. Between momentary delays in loading up the game menus and transitioning between sections of it, and going back to fortune to go to bloom palace to go back to fortune to finally go back to where you need to go to enter the idolosphere, it's just way too much. They should have let you install some stuff to the HDD to lessen this, especially with how frequently you are prompted to go in the first few dungeons.

Actually I agree with your whole summary, except I'd add another negative being samey boss fights with too many adds, but another positive being art style and use of colour in the UI.

Do you have the digital version? Cause i'm pretty sensitive to loading times (in the sense that they annoy me greatly, especially when they are particularly frequent), but i feel it's a non issue in this game. They're pretty quick and you barely notice the vast majority of them.

Frimaire

Is there time to finish everything up after beating the final boss or should I do everything I want to do before starting the fight?

BTA

How easy is it to grind from the EXP DLC dungeon in the 50s? Because I'm looking at a hurried 2 or 3 hours of trying to finish this, and if I can't beat any boss I'm pretty much instantly resorting to that.

Draxal

How easy is it to grind from the EXP DLC dungeon in the 50s? Because I'm looking at a hurried 2 or 3 hours of trying to finish this, and if I can't beat any boss I'm pretty much instantly resorting to that.

Incredibly easy, it gives you the xp tomes that you might already have.

BTA

Incredibly easy, it gives you the xp tomes that you might already have.

Awesome. Followup question about the final dungeon, then.

I just did the second fight against old bosses. I've noticed there's been 2 party members to talk to after each time. Am I correct in assuming there's only 3 such fights total?

Awesome. Followup question about the final dungeon, then.

I just did the second fight against old bosses. I've noticed there's been 2 party members to talk to after each time. Am I correct in assuming there's only 3 such fights total?

Four

Are you sure you were using the -karn abilities? They have things like tetraguard that nullify. I thought they had karn that reflected though.

EDIT: I saw that someone sort of made note of that. I'm pretty sure they have both and you get the karns much later.

Dee Dee

Guys.
How long is chapter 5.
Guys. Real question.

Just beat
Dark Yashiro
which took me nearly 40min.
Now the game is tellig me, there is another boss fight coming next.

I am going to bed.

Also, my Wii U just about died at that fight right now. Every time the boss
split into four
it literally slowed down to a crawl and chugged the disc reallly loudly. Like Thomas the tank engine rolling up a hill.
I was afraid the game would crash and I would have to re-do the fight... that was scary.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I never even encounter Savage enemies. I think one popped up in my whole time in chapter 2. I don't know why people are getting so much. Guess I'm lucky.

Guys.
How long is chapter 5.
Guys. Real question.

Just beat
Dark Yashiro
which took me nearly 40min.
Now the game is tellig me, there is another boss fight coming next.

I am going to bed.

Also, my Wii U just about died at that fight right now. Every time the boss
split into four
it literally slowed down to a crawl and chugged the disc reallly loudly. Like Thomas the tank engine rolling up a hill.
I was afraid the game would crash and I would have to re-do the fight... that was scary.

Just after that boss. He's much easier than the one you just beat as well.

Hobbun

I never even encounter Savage enemies. I think one popped up in my whole time in chapter 2. I don't know why people are getting so much. Guess I'm lucky.

What difficulty are you on?

I also think certain areas are more susceptible to savage encounters. There is a floor (I think 3rd) in the Chapter 1 dungeon where there is a good chance of getting a savage encounter. Most times I exit out of that mannequin sleeve (I believe it's the orange one), a savage encounter pops up.

Hobbun

Hm, maybe you've just been lucky then.

I haven't run into a terrible amount of savage encounters except that one spot I mentioned in the Chapter 1 dungeon it almost seems like it is a breeding ground for them.

random25

Speaking of savage encounters, I just beat one in chapter 1 after multiple tries. Feels good man. They do seem to change whenever I level up though, so it's still scary to have them roaming in the map.

BTA

...I went almost the whole game without it clicking what incenses could do.

Shame I don't have the time to unlock the ability to get more of them with all this detritus I have. That could be helpful right now, hmm.

EDIT: Wait, huh, is it actually time consuming to do that? I'm gonna try this real fast...

Hate savage encounters. There is a lot of them in chapter 6 and you don't even get any material for carnage from them.

I usually just hit them with mass destruction if I have some sp left, or just flee using smoke machine.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hate savage encounters. There is a lot of them in chapter 6 and you don't even get any material for carnage from them.

I usually just hit them with mass destruction if I have some sp left, or just flee using smoke machine.
They give Detritus though, which is way more valuable if you don't gots DLC.

BTA

Made it to the final boss without getting the DLC. Wish me luck, because at this rate I'm only getting a few hours sleep as is, hah.

Frimaire

The game explicitly tells you that you won't be able to go back to do anything after facing the final boss.

Wait, the final boss is
Medeus
, yeah?
I'm fighting it right now and I didn't get a warning about no going back or anything.
If that really was the point of no return, I'll probably just die and load my last save...

BTA

Welp, died. Time to rapidly grind the DLC. And have a better starting party.

The start to the fight is fucking wild. I guess that's what that thread that was made when the JP release came out was about...

EDIT: Well, that was fantastic. Except for the part where I'm going on a flight to Japan on almost no sleep. But still, that was worth seeing through
and I doubt I'd have fallen asleep much earlier anyway

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The basement levels of Shibuya 106.. I'm nearly at the point of giving up, what an annoying puzzle
It's actually pretty simple as you only need to work 2 floor levels and there are 4 stations where 1 is the one you obviously end at.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Are there any good guides out there for this game? Particularly for Carnage Unity recipes and the location of the required Performa? I have now missed a Carnage for multiple characters, and despite going back to old dungeons and trying to find the missing Performa, all I get for my troubles is a lot of wasted time. Getting annoyed and don't really want to push forward without getting all the previous weapons if possible.

Now on Chapter 4, and my weapons seem like they're constantly behind where my characters are.

vareon

Finished Kiria's third side quest. That was SO worth it.

Anyway how do I get the second rare enemy? I suppose there's one in the Illusiory Studio...

16 hours in and I'm loving this game. Haven't played a turn based RPG in a few years, but I'm loving the combat in this game and the whole aesthetic in general.

The basement levels of Shibuya 106.. I'm nearly at the point of giving up, what an annoying puzzle

Leave the mannequins that has one that fits with the puzzle on B3 last. Concentrate on getting to the other one first.

Make use of Estoma and Slowtoma to avoid encounters.

ohlawd

Are there any good guides out there for this game? Particularly for Carnage Unity recipes and the location of the required Performa? I have now missed a Carnage for multiple characters, and despite going back to old dungeons and trying to find the missing Performa, all I get for my troubles is a lot of wasted time. Getting annoyed and don't really want to push forward without getting all the previous weapons if possible.

Now on Chapter 4, and my weapons seem like they're constantly behind where my characters are.

press X on the carnage page for location details. it's not that specific though so you gotta battle everywhere a bit if the directions aren't clear. if it says something like DTV First Area, that's the outside part of the place. If it just says DTV then it's probably inside. shit like that.

twelver

Ch5 studio dungeon throwing me for a loop. I can walk into 0 based on the screens, but every time i try to enter the 1 room its wrong. Is my game bugged???

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
press X on the carnage page for location details. it's not that specific though so you gotta battle everywhere a bit if the directions aren't clear. if it says something like DTV First Area, that's the outside part of the place. If it just says DTV then it's probably inside. shit like that.

Thank you! This is at least somewhat helpful. Already filled in some of the the weapons I missed. Still feel like my character levels and Stage Ranks are getting leveled at a different rate than my weapons, but I guess that's how she goes.

Ch5 studio dungeon throwing me for a loop. I can walk into 0 based on the screens, but every time i try to enter the 1 room its wrong. Is my game bugged???

Talk to the Big monster before the room and he will show you the correct order to enter. Note it down too since an side story also requires the same numbers.

Top Bottom