• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Dee Dee

About to begin Chapter 6 & have all possible side quests done...

How many hours until end? I have off tomorrow & I'm hoping to finish (before MHG).

I am 3 hours in, no end in sight. Apparently I have to progress further to even unlock Yashiro's last side-story too.
Mrgrgrgr!

How in hell do people finish this game with less than 30h on the clock?

Good news is, it's more fun than chapter 5 so far!

audio_delay

Neo Member
What does Blades of Restraint actually do? I skipped it on a first glance.

If it works, it kicks the enemy to the back of the queue in a round. Probably not important if you play on normal, but useful if you go againt enemies that a 5lvl+ above your party's level. That way you can plan your next moves.

I had to put Star Ocean 5 down. Shit was bugging me too much, so I decided to pop TMS in. Having just finishes the prologue, I can already tell I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this.

Ulysses 31

I had to put Star Ocean 5 down. Shit was bugging me too much, so I decided to pop TMS in. Having just finishes the prologue, I can already tell I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this.

d165129c077b7333cc03b5ecfffda74f1a5607232f9ab6652348d76111f55a9f.jpg

Dee Dee

Are the resist passive worthwhile? Like resist ice on itsuki?

It depends. But if all else fails, just pick the right Carnage for the boss fight if your weaknesses give you a hard time. Specific resists will be useful for a small number of fights only, so I'd argue you are better of learning passives that are useful in all the fights.

george_us

This game feels like persona with a bit more garbage sprinkled on top, but its not bad.
It's Persona with pretty much all of the personality sucked out which is making it hard to slog through for me. The gameplay is pretty good but the characters/plot are about as generic as you can get.

muteki

Yeah, for dungeons and battles it takes a lot of good things from Persona, but everything outside of dungeons and battles it a bit more of a disappointment to me. It is missing something, and I think persona did a better job of dealing with the down time with social links, the calendar, school life and side jobs. TMS is more a few small disconnected areas with shops to visit but little else to do.

Vena

I must have played different Persona games from everyone else, because outside of a skin-deep veneer that is very Persona-like this game is much more classic SMT with a rebuilt battle system and mechanics.

Also a game with actual dungeon design.

Peff

I must have played different Persona games from everyone else, because outside of a skin-deep veneer that is very Persona-like this game is much more classic SMT with a rebuilt battle system and mechanics.

Also a game with actual dungeon design.

You must have, because this game is really not much like classic SMT at all. If anything you could argue about it being somewhat similar to Digital Devil Saga, which itself was a departure from standard Megaten games.

Frimaire

What the hell?
Why does the Advanced arena only give out half as many coins as the previous two?
Now I gotta go though 15 fights in a row like 9 times...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Starting the intermission after ch. 4, clocked at 41+ hours from doing side-quests & semi-grinding/arena battles.

....omg all these new skills I can make, though probably can only make about one or two of them, I bet.

oh man, also unlocked THREE side-stories to work on....and a new Duo Art, yay.

Dee Dee

Finished all the side stories!

Yashiro's were simply amazing, this guy has just the dumbest roles in everything. I just unlocked the final duo art with him and Touma, can't wait to trigger that one, holy cow.

Mamori had a cool redemption in her last story, bit unfortunately a lot of her side stories were more to show of how wacky Barry is than to show her growth.

Ellie, Tsubasa - meh.
Kiria got cute costume and music vids out of the side stories, even though the topics for her side stories were probably the dumbest (so a bit like Yashiro).

Touma is just the best - his arc was cool, and he's such a likable bro character with a really silly obsession born out if a sad back story.
He's one of my best damage dealers still, because I feed him all the good accessories. Also, when you finish that quest in the tv dungeon in chapter 6, that asks you for ambition, courage etc, once you show off Touma, the Masqueraider Ouga song can be heard in full in the background, and it's pretty hype! Do I ever unlock a music player? I accidentally skipped Yashiro's UFO theme song at that part when I could have listened to it...

60 hours on the clock for play time now...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FINALLY got more Tiki outfits (
microwavin' & maho
), no idea why it took a few more chapters to get them, maybe it was related to side-stories?

Think I need help with a side-quest.
Talked to this dude about magic, says he lost his license. Where should I be looking?

Renewed

microwavin' & maho
), no idea why it took a few more chapters to get them, maybe it was related to side-stories?

Talked to this dude about magic, says he lost his license. Where should I be looking?

I'll just say where it is:
Toubo Rooftop stage (go up the stairs and run until you come across it)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
microwavin' & maho

roof

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thank you, for some reason, I was thinking of checking there first, but when talking to him again to see if he'd give any hints, it didn't seem as obvious.

Now to finish Barry's 2nd quest & then Ellie's 2nd quest as well.

Dee Dee

microwavin' & maho

For the side quest, this guy has a knack of losing his stuff in spaces that are a bit out of normal sight. Go to the rooftop and be sure to search thoroughly.

I got all of Tiki's costumes, as apparently you can get the sixth costume only in NG+ - which I had to google because I wouldn't believe my bad luck after about 40 Melmarks.
The costumes seem to have a reasonable win chance oterwise, 10% or so I would guess.

Edit: Beaten hard.

I just did Yashiro's first side quest and it was glorious. Looking forward to the other two.

You ain't seen nothing yet. His side stories are the best because they are super straight forward, no location hunting or trash mob killing spree, no stupid pixel hunt. And the pay off at the end is worth it every time. Yes, it gets more silly.

Another thing I like about Yashiro is "Counter". Nothing like having Savage Enemies kill themselves trying to attack Yashiro.

microwavin' & maho

Should be on Toubo rooftop.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, why the hell did the game wait until after Ch. 4 to give me a side-quest which recommends level 30 when everyone is at freakin' level 43, yet gave me Tsubasa's final side-story when I was around 33-ish & recommended 47??

I got all of Tiki's costumes, as apparently you can get the sixth costume only in NG+ - which I had to google because I wouldn't believe my bad luck after about 40 Melmarks.
The costumes seem to have a reasonable win chance oterwise, 10% or so I would guess.
Is it actually a neat costume, or just a "hey, you played NG+, here's a little bonus"?

Edit: WTF, I had a hard time finding the enemies I needed to fight for Ellie's 2nd story, but afterwards, I get about 4 of them in a row when I want to fight the enemies for the Hee Ho Mart side-quest.

HawthorneKitty

I'm torn on doing side quests as they pop up since I think the ones plastered everywhere are the latest ones you did...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
After completing chapter 3, I had both Kiria's and Tsubasa's 3rd side stories available but I was pretty underleveled for the recommended numbers for both. Just spent like 30 min in the EXP dungeon and ended up around level 48 for everyone, lol.

I'm guessing I'll be way overleveled for chapter 4.

Vena

After completing chapter 3, I had both Kiria's and Tsubasa's 3rd side stories available but I was pretty underleveled for the recommended numbers for both. Just spent like 30 min in the EXP dungeon and ended up around level 48 for everyone, lol.

You're over-leveled for Chapter 5, lol.

Renewed

I like how everyone else's side stories made me appreciate them more... but Barry's last side story just made me lose more and more respect for him. Also ch5 late-mid-boss
Why spawn 4 Yashiro mooks if it's gonna make my game chug? Made me scared I was gonna crash or something.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I did them underleveled and they were hard as fuck.

Mashing

Is Life Gain worth chucking on Touma? Seems like it'd come in handy to avoid dying, but I don't know what to get rid of. He has:

Fire Expertise
Pierce
Blades of Restraint
Lance Expertise
Sneak Peak
Yasha Soul +1

This is currently the same setup I have on him, except fire expertise, I think I ditched that but I probably pick it up since his special performances are fire based.

Hit a stopping point for the night.

Chapter 6 midway spoilers

Lost to Gharnef first time around because I derped the weapon triangle and put Mamori in when two Sword Spirits were out. Second try was a much better experience.

Farmed in I. Memory area to get the Fujin/Raijin drops.

Got everyone at Stage Rank 20. Need more 6-star prestiges... Game clock is around 70 something hours; probably will hit close to 80 when it's all said and done. Pretty much been playing this when I'm not working or went out for something.

Ya her Elwind EX session is the best, but her Lunge EX is the woooooooooooooooooooorst.

WVW69jYJ1WUjZnfwRe

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol, Yashiro's first side-story............OH GOD, the after-math scene of his side-story. That was hilarious.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, think I need help with Lucky Spot 5.
What's "behind the misty stage"? I don't know how it could relate to the studio or TV station areas.

Also, man, seems like every time there's a "can you get me x item/force from enemy" request, I already have them.

Giolon

Chapter 4 boss is absolutely ruining my party. I'm level 39 across the board, except Itsuki who's 43. Should I just go level everyone up twice?

Basically, the fact that the boss and its companion get 2 moves per turn combined with the fact that no matter who I bring in at least 1 probably 2 chars will be vulnerable to enemy sessions at any given time. How the heck are you supposed to deal with this? T.T

Ryne

So far put nearly 20 hours into the game and only at the beginning of chapter 3. I feel like I end up missing too much stuff so I''m taking it slow. Running around trying to find all the parts for new carnages really eats up time too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh, crap, I need the ability to break those special gates open first before I can finish Lucky Spot 5.

....oh no, those prices for the new accessories....

HawthorneKitty

Chapter 4 boss is absolutely ruining my party. I'm level 39 across the board, except Itsuki who's 43. Should I just go level everyone up twice?

Basically, the fact that the boss and its companion get 2 moves per turn combined with the fact that no matter who I bring in at least 1 probably 2 chars will be vulnerable to enemy sessions at any given time. How the heck are you supposed to deal with this? T.T
Cant get sessioned if they miss or they can't attack! :D

Giolon

Cant get sessioned if they miss or they can't attack! :D

How am I supposed to stop them from attacking? I can debuff hit chance with Kiria and buff evade with Tsubasa, but usually I need them doing something else like healing. Plus the boss gets buffed w/ Sukujaja repeatedly.
:(

Edit: finally lucked out with some good ad lib performances, and lucky dodges.

So generally speaking, is it better to keep the single or multi target versions of abilities? Bufumvs Mabufu, etc? What about when the AOE version available is 1 or 2 tiers lower?

Frimaire

Just beat the game with like 78 hours.
Does anybody have any suggestions on whether to do the ng+ or the lunatic playthrough first?
I'm probably gonna go for 100% eventually...

Top Bottom