• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

After 50 hours I hit my first crash in chapter 5. I was spending tickets on the Anzu lottery and it hung. I wasn't too worried and decided to leave it for the night and pickup the next day.

However after just 5 minutes playing the next day it crashed again just running through Bloom Palace. Now I'm really panicking that my Wii U is dying. I removed and cleaned the disc, blew out the console and moved it to a slightly better position for airflow. Played for a couple of hours after that with no problem. It might be my imagination but I think the disc drive and fan is sounding louder than usual.

I've had two crashes in Bloom Palace and one in Fortuna Office in chapter 5 or later. The two in Bloom Palace were within a few minutes of each other. It seems like an issue a few people have had.

Brakke

Banned
Haven't played in a bit, returned to it today and remembered I still have this unused Master Seal. Still paralyzed in indecision about it. Do it lock off Carnages I haven't done yet to use it now? Can I switch between the two options later? Or should I expect every character to class change once?

Frimaire

Haven't played in a bit, returned to it today and remembered I still have this unused Master Seal. Still paralyzed in indecision about it. Do it lock off Carnages I haven't done yet to use it now? Can I switch between the two options later? Or should I expect every character to class change once?

Changing class never locks out carnages you already have available.
Basically you'll eventually want to have gone through both class changes with each character to unlock all of their carnages.
If you get every master seal available you should have enough to do this, plus a few extra.
You can't switch freely between classes even after you've unlocked them, though, so you may want to start with the class you don't want to end the game on.

Wow, getting detritus from the DLC dungeon is extremely fast. Usually get around 18 just by running to each corner and picking up the items, then run out and do it again. No need to fight anything. Really want that locksmith ability so I don't have to do these silly requests for keys anymore.

Brakke

Banned
Changing class never locks out carnages you already have available.
Basically you'll eventually want to have gone through both class changes with each character to unlock all of their carnages.
If you get every master seal available you should have enough to do this, plus a few extra.
You can't switch freely between classes even after you've unlocked them, though, so you may want to start with the class you don't want to end the game on.

Cool thanks for the lowdown!

There are a couple class changes I have no interest in, based on the description, but presumably their car ages will at least have Session skills I'll want anyway, so I'll start with the class I don't want for the first class change.

Zslgv2H.jpg

That image is a spoiler for those of us early in the game. Thanks bunches.

Brakke

Banned
Unlocked my first Duo Art I think? Maiko said Mamori X Tiki was going to be a thing. But it hasn't happened yet. Does it randomly proc? Like Ad Lib Performances?

can't believe I just went to grind out the Last Man Standing achievement

thank god I had all them Pocket Tissues to waste turns

Unlocked my first Duo Art I think? Maiko said Mamori X Tiki was going to be a thing. But it hasn't happened yet. Does it randomly proc? Like Ad Lib Performances?

They randomly come up during Sessions. You can decide if you want to activate them or not, or which one to activate between 2

Also it's super obvious he'll join you after like the second encounter with him.

I've been on such a self-imposed blackout for this game I skipped the OP to come in here and post a question. Ah well, I'm about to start Chapter 4, so I'll get him soon enough.

Anyway - do you ever get more than six skill slots in the game? I'm making some cavalier choices with skills to try different things, but the builds I'd like to go for (at least from what I can see in the weapons available) would work better with an extra slot or two.

Frimaire

I've been on such a self-imposed blackout for this game I skipped the OP to come in here and post a question. Ah well, I'm about to start Chapter 4, so I'll get him soon enough.

Anyway - do you ever get more than six skill slots in the game? I'm making some cavalier choices with skills to try different things, but the builds I'd like to go for (at least from what I can see in the weapons available) would work better with an extra slot or two.

Yes, You get one extra skill slot for each type of skill (passive, session, active) for each character.
I'm pretty sure they're all locked behind stage rank performas.

Finished the game in about 60+ hours. The cutscene before the final boss made me laugh outloud. The battle system is addicting and hopefully they utilize again somewhere. Some rough spots here and there but otherwise it is a good game and hopefully they make a sequel.

mclem

For anyone who actually wants the CD inlay cover for rips or anything, since I couldn't find a high quality version for myself I decided to simply recreate it. Can just as well dump it here if anyone wants it.

And if you're capable of printing CD labels, I accidentally managed to take a screenshot of the (complete) pause menu while it was opening, and I think it's ideal for that purpose:

So having finished the game, I can say the battle system is great and a ton of fun, but one somewhat frustrating thing is that, at least in my experience, it does the fairly common MegaTen thing where offensive magic is pretty strong early game and then increasingly physical attacks improve against it until physical pretty much blows magic away by the end of the game thanks to, among other things, better boosting skills and crits.

I mean, late game Tsubasa and (especially) Kiria can still do good damage with magic but they can't utterly obliterate things like my Touma or Ellie builds can. I'm sure they'll do better with the EX versions of their main elemental boost skills and the 4th level elemental spells, but those are locked behind the NG+ wall and therefore can't really be considered for a first playthrough.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So having finished the game, I can say the battle system is great and a ton of fun, but one somewhat frustrating thing is that, at least in my experience, it does the fairly common MegaTen thing where offensive magic is pretty strong early game and then increasingly physical attacks improve against it until physical pretty much blows magic away by the end of the game thanks to, among other things, better boosting skills and crits.

I mean, late game Tsubasa and (especially) Kiria can still do good damage with magic but they can't utterly obliterate things like my Touma or Ellie builds can. I'm sure they'll do better with the EX versions of their main elemental boost skills and the 4th level elemental spells, but those are locked behind the NG+ wall and therefore can't really be considered for a first playthrough.
You should try the superboss some day.

Dee Dee

That image is a spoiler for those of us early in the game. Thanks bunches.

I apologize, but like most other people said, I simply didn't consider it a spoiler as most promo material includes him being a recruitable party member already.

Also, I come into this thread to talk about Yashiro being ace specifically. :C

I agree on physical attacks overshadowing magic in late game. I am so glad that Touma has become such a massive damage dealer now, but I am kinda sad that Kiria is so weak now. I fed her all the magic incense, but unless she hits a weakness her session contributions are pretty meh.
I also skilled her badly probably, I thought I could avoid putting Zan on her as I have some Zan-affinity attack already on nearly everyone else, but that makes her use very limited in the main cast with only fire/ice magic and some almighty spells that I usually avoid for lack of sessions.

Also should have read up on class change more, I didn't even consider that I miss out on skills through carnages by picking my prefered class right away - which accidentally turned out to be the better looking classes anyway, so changing them at this point feels like a huge sacrifice for those extra carnages and a subjectively worse build. I'll see how I fare against the final boss without them first.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
So for class changes should I wait til I hit a level cap or something to do them like in fire emblem, or does it not matter when I do it?

I agree on physical attacks overshadowing magic in late game. I am so glad that Touma has become such a massive damage dealer now, but I am kinda sad that Kiria is so weak now. I fed her all the magic incense, but unless she hits a weakness her session contributions are pretty meh.
I also skilled her badly probably, I thought I could avoid putting Zan on her as I have some Zan-affinity attack already on nearly everyone else, but that makes her use very limited in the main cast with only fire/ice magic and some almighty spells that I usually avoid for lack of sessions.

Also should have read up on class change more, I didn't even consider that I miss out on skills through carnages by picking my prefered class right away - which accidentally turned out to be the better looking classes anyway, so changing them at this point feels like a huge sacrifice for those extra carnages and a subjectively worse build. I'll see how I fare against the final boss without them first.

As a general rule I wanted to have every attack type possible on a character since sessions are such a huge part of dealing damage. The only possible exception I can think of would be if you have a super duper specific build for a super duper specific reason (Arena, full support not normally in the main cast, etc).

I'd suggest just dumping the Almighty attacks since you admit you almost never use them. I tend to feel if casting an Almighty spell would be the best use of Kiria's turn (and making use of it matters) then she should probably be being switched out for someone else that can do something more effective. I suppose Megidolaon could have a place on a Kiria arena build if you're set on using her there?

Ah, yeah. You should have done the one you didn't want first if you didn't want to lottery up enough Master Seals to switch three times. Wouldn't be super hard but would take a bit of time cycling buying and selling for the Melmarks.

So for class changes should I wait til I hit a level cap or something to do them like in fire emblem, or does it not matter when I do it?

You can do it as soon as possible. It doesn't reset level or anything, just applies some class specific modifiers to stats. You can switch between the two promoted classes but each time will require another Master Seal. Simply becoming either class will permanently unlock an SP skill and that class's unique Carnages, so if you switch to the other promoted class you won't lose access to those Carnages. As mentioned above in my other response, this means you may want to switch to the class you don't want to end up in first and the one you want to keep second.

HawthorneKitty

My personal character ranking:

Tsubasa
Kiria
Mamori
Eleonora
Yashiro
Touma

I guess I don't value damage that much. Touma is so limited in his weakness coverage and his utility of altering turn order works as a sub so I never use him.

Sölf

Played a bit more (I doubt more and more I will ever finish this game xD). Finished the red wall things in 106. Also got Yashiro's new Side Story and will explore more red walls before I continue with chapter 5.

My personal character ranking:

Tsubasa
Kiria
Mamori
Eleonora
Yashiro
Touma

I guess I don't value damage that much. Touma is so limited in his weakness coverage and his utility of altering turn order works as a sub so I never use him.

I'm a bit confused here. If you're worrying about weakness coverage why is Touma at the bottom? Kiria and Ellie hit the fewest session triggering weaknesses of the entire cast outside Itsuki (who actually hits the vast vast majority of enemies due to his access to all slayer skill types) with three. Touma also hits three but has access to the anti-horse moves (which often means hitting Axe-weak Lance users). I get that Kiria is a very different character due to being a mage but I consider Ellie and Touma somewhat similar in that they're naturally very focused on physical offense with great debuff access and ability to send enemies to the back of the turn order line.

Brakke

Banned
Ok the amount of Barry straight up lusting after Mamori is too much. I just don't even read his Topic messages any more. What a fucking creepo.

HawthorneKitty

I'm a bit confused here. If you're worrying about weakness coverage why is Touma at the bottom? Kiria and Ellie hit the fewest session triggering weaknesses of the entire cast outside Itsuki (who actually hits the vast vast majority of enemies due to his access to all slayer skill types) with three. Touma also hits three but has access to the anti-horse moves (which often means hitting Axe-weak Lance users). I get that Kiria is a very different character due to being a mage but I consider Ellie and Touma somewhat similar in that they're naturally very focused on physical offense with great debuff access and ability to send enemies to the back of the turn order line.
Ellie's OHKO is the only reason she is above the 2 other powerhouses. Touma is so low because Tsubasa is too high; if I really needed an extra session, she could give it to me. He might get access to a better debuff, but it's hardly necessary. I've come around to the thought that Conqueror is the better class for Chrom so that translates to needing better magical power on the field. I haven't gotten access to the ultimate skills for everyone so, yeah, this is where I am now.

Top Bottom