• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Ellie's OHKO is the only reason she is above the 2 other powerhouses. Touma is so low because Tsubasa is too high; if I really needed an extra session, she could give it to me. He might get access to a better debuff, but it's hardly necessary. I've come around to the thought that Conqueror is the better class for Chrom so that translates to needing better magical power on the field. I haven't gotten access to the ultimate skills for everyone so, yeah, this is where I am now.

Ah, that makes sense. Yes, Tsubasa is, when you factor in how sessions work, pretty much just a better Touma as a main cast character whereas Touma is much better than she is as a sub character. He's really the closest to being a character completely outclassed by another. Gaia's Whisper can be great but you can always just swap him in to use it. And yes, Fog Breath does the most important parts of what Debilitate does.

I certainly agree with you on Chrom if you're without access to Elec Mastery+ and Thoron although I'm thinking once you have those Great Lord probably becomes the better choice based on the numbers (subject to actually testing it).

That said, I'm not convinced that physical Itsuki necessitates a higher magic focus of the other two active characters, at least not as a general rule. There are certainly cases where this is true, though.

In hard I find that almost every character works fine in a fight and most of the time you have the sub function and items if you want to do more sessions. Never really felt that *character spoilers*
yashiro
was that useful other than his counter. I never relied on the instakill of ellie mostly while kiria was useful for her cc abilities as well as her great damage from beginning to nearish the end where she kind of falls off. Mamori was useful as her tank and I never explored making her do more damage. Touma and Tsubasa were pretty good and I could use them with other characters how I saw fit.

Baliis

Got to (late Chapter 6 spoilers)
the Medeus fight, jesus what a difficulty spike that was. Wasn't prepared the first time going in and got destroyed by all the damage and debuffs. Went better the second time until I got to the second phase and got destroyed by his almighty spell hitting for 80-90% of everyones hp followed by another AoE spell.

Once you class change do the carnages unlock permanently regardless?

So, like, can I swap over to the other classes now, even though I haven't bought their 6-star prestige weapons for their current class yet?

Totakeke

Mamori is missing every other hit and ending my sessions early making her pretty unusable in main cast. She came with a axe hit rate up passive which I discarded early on, I haven't seen a weapon that gives that skill back. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Kindekuma

Banned
Got the game a few days ago but didn't get around to playing until Monday. Just finished Chapter 1 as of 30 minutes ago. I had my doubts at first but I'm actually really enjoying this game. Got that streamlined SMT feel with the dungeon crawling aspects and engaging fights.

Hit a wall with the Chapter 3 miniboss.
All these bosses having a bunch of normal enemies with them on top of potential sessions is insane (and feels straight up unfair). I'm getting destroyed on Easy even though I'm above the suggested level.

SPCTRE

I'm in Chapter 3 now and what really gets me is how this game so far just can't introduce characters that I don't end up liking

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hit a wall with the Chapter 3 miniboss.
All these bosses having a bunch of normal enemies with them on top of potential sessions is insane (and feels straight up unfair). I'm getting destroyed on Easy even though I'm above the suggested level.
Evasion, sleep, cute Kiria and 2 turn Itsuki are all powerful options at your position.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So it seems like I've missed something easy/obviousin Tsubasa's side story about the cat. Someone near the statue told me to check the alley by the Hee-Ho Mart, but I can't check the alley.

I've since wandered around Shibuya talking to everyone, but nobody has anything relevant to say. and now everyone's kind of blurring together & I have no sense of which people I have and haven't spoken to. Seems like I've talked to everyone 2 or 3 times... except the person who makes the cat spawn in the alley, of course.

damn you, devil cat

damn you

please help me

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So it seems like I've missed something easy/obviousin Tsubasa's side story about the cat. Someone near the statue told me to check the alley by the Hee-Ho Mart, but I can't check the alley.

I've since wandered around Shibuya talking to everyone, but nobody has anything relevant to say. and now everyone's kind of blurring together & I have no sense of which people I have and haven't spoken to. Seems like I've talked to everyone 2 or 3 times... except the person who makes the cat spawn in the alley, of course.

damn you, devil cat

damn you

please help me
Talk to the guy just a little above the alley by Hee-ho.

muteki

Into Chapter 3 now. Cool dungeon aesthetic, Ellie is awesome. Favorite character so far.

Most of the story setup dialogue is still bleh to me, but the side stories are getting more interesting as time goes on.

Javier

Finished Mamori's 2nd side quest, and I have a question:

I picked Ellie since it seemed like the logical choice, but would the scene have played differently if I would have picked Tsubasa or Maiko?

Finished Mamori's 2nd side quest, and I have a question:

I picked Ellie since it seemed like the logical choice, but would the scene have played differently if I would have picked Tsubasa or Maiko?

No, it'll just eliminate a selection and you'd have to pick again

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Talk to the guy just a little above the alley by Hee-ho.

The pompador guy that I needed to talk to was standing around with the film crew for the woman whose taste performa was stolen, and I guess I talked to everybody but him.

Thanks for the response, I don't think I would have bothered talking to him otherwise

knkng

So I just finished this game, probably about 95% completion, 75 hours on the clock.

This is definitely one of the most entertaining JRPGs that I've played in a long time. It's the kind of game that is just delightful to play, and makes me smile all the way through. I'm sure it's been mentioned about a hundred times, but it's really sad how so many people turned their backs on this game simply because it doesn't meet their preconceived notion of what it should be (and admittedly, I was almost one of those people from the early reveal).

But anyways, enough of that, I'll just point out the biggest things that stood out to me compared to many other JRPGs.

Talent Agency/Entertainment Industry setting:
What an incredible idea. It basically let's the developers pack as many songs and other fun stuff in there as they want, and it all makes sense within the story.

Sessions:
Incredibly satisfying, especially later in the game when you can get them up to 17+. Duo Arts are a real joy.

Boss Prompts:
"You are about to fight the boss" type warnings are always nice to see. There's nothing worse than accidentally walking into a boss battle unprepared.

Some cons:
- I didn't mind the censorship, but the wedding dress costume is fucked. At least make it look like fabric, instead of just painting directly onto her skin. :/

- The final dungeon is a little bit tedious. I've never been a big fan of
fighting all the previous bosses again.

But anyways, amazing game, and I hope we will get a sequel one day (lol).

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and finding it difficult to care about Kiria at all. She's levels behind. Dies easily, only good at dealing ice damage, etc. Does this ever change?

(Mamori, on the other hand, my god. She is unstoppable, at least at this point in the game. Used the first available Master Seal on her, not regretting it.)

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and finding it difficult to care about Kiria at all. She's levels behind. Dies easily, only good at dealing ice damage, etc. Does this ever change?

(Mamori, on the other hand, my god. She is unstoppable, at least at this point in the game. Used the first available Master Seal on her, not regretting it.)

...what? Kiria has a godly magic stat and access to 3/4 of the elements and almighty. What are you doing to her that's making her bad? Conversely, I would get annoyed with Mamori since she would try and tank magic and get pretty much insta killed. I appreciate the sentiment, but you just broke my session, girl...

Vertti

Chapter 5 boss seems to be pretty damn hard. Has tons of HP and can attack 4 times in a row. Tried once and was nowhere near to beat it. Guess I have to grind a bit because don't want to use mirror cheese.

...what? Kiria has a godly magic stat and access to 3/4 of the elements and almighty. What are you doing to her that's making her bad?

Probably giving her the wrong accessory if I had to guess. When she uses Ice she's amazing but she still is the first one to die (even before Tsubasa). I don't have Megido yet.

So I just finished this game, probably about 95% completion, 75 hours on the clock.

This is definitely one of the most entertaining JRPGs that I've played in a long time. It's the kind of game that is just delightful to play, and makes me smile all the way through. I'm sure it's been mentioned about a hundred times, but it's really sad how so many people turned their backs on this game simply because it doesn't meet their preconceived notion of what it should be (and admittedly, I was almost one of those people from the early reveal).

But anyways, enough of that, I'll just point out the biggest things that stood out to me compared to many other JRPGs.

Talent Agency/Entertainment Industry setting:
What an incredible idea. It basically let's the developers pack as many songs and other fun stuff in there as they want, and it all makes sense within the story.

Sessions:
Incredibly satisfying, especially later in the game when you can get them up to 17+. Duo Arts are a real joy.

Boss Prompts:
"You are about to fight the boss" type warnings are always nice to see. There's nothing worse than accidentally walking into a boss battle unprepared.

Some cons:
- I didn't mind the censorship, but the wedding dress costume is fucked. At least make it look like fabric, instead of just painting directly onto her skin. :/

- The final dungeon is a little bit tedious. I've never been a big fan of
fighting all the previous bosses again.

But anyways, amazing game, and I hope we will get a sequel one day (lol).

Yeah, the game is far from perfect but it was very enjoyable and I'd also enjoy another similar game.

Also yeah, the whole "censorship" thing was vastly overblown (Oh no, they took out some of the creepy service and changed one story part away from the hyper creepiness that is gravure! How terrible!) but the wedding dress adjustments are super lazy and weird from a localization that took the effort to rerecord lines to match the western translations.

Yeah, the game is far from perfect but it was very enjoyable and I'd also enjoy another similar game.

Also yeah, the whole "censorship" thing was vastly overblown (Oh no, they took out some of the creepy service and changed one story part away from the hyper creepiness that is gravure! How terrible!) but the wedding dress adjustments are super lazy and weird from a localization that took the effort to rerecord lines to match the western translations.

"hyper creepy"
"the foreign culture that the entire story was built around"

...what? Kiria has a godly magic stat and access to 3/4 of the elements and almighty. What are you doing to her that's making her bad? Conversely, I would get annoyed with Mamori since she would try and tank magic and get pretty much insta killed. I appreciate the sentiment, but you just broke my session, girl...

I'm at the end of the game and I completely disagree haha.

Kiria dies too easily for my liking, but Mamori just takes hits like it's nothing.

Yep. The wedding dress was really strange, but everything else was changed for the better.

I'm at the end of the game and I completely disagree haha.

Kiria dies too easily for my liking, but Mamori just takes hits like it's nothing.

*shrug*. I beat the game, and while Kiria dies fairly quickly, she can deal nearly as much damage as Itsuki can(while roided on str incense). Mamori never hits that hard on mine, and her Resistance is so low that magic attacks do way too much damage to her. She's a nice physical tank, but she felt like she went down easier than most to a ~dyne(except bufu of course) skill.

explodet

I'm only starting Chapter 2, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the game so far.

My goodness, Itsuki is a big piece of hardtack - bland and dense.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, just sayin'.

"hyper creepy"
"the foreign culture that the entire story was built around"

I don't see the issue with my critiquing some of what I see as the more troubling aspects of parts of Japanese and Japanese idol culture while appreciating other parts of them.

Why are you guys letting Kiria get hit? :/
She should be dodging everything.

Kiria doesn't have amazing natural speed (at least mine doesn't) and she lacks any of the evade boosting passives. Yes, she can get Auto-Sukukaja and that helps but honestly casting Sukukaja is usually the first action I take in boss or other tough battles so it only really helps for normal encounters (where yeah, if Kiria is getting killed then something is very wrong). And while she's not completely made of paper she is the most relatively squishy character when just looking at stats.

Sterok

In chapter 6, how do I complete the request where that girl mirage wants me to kill certain enemies in Dolhr? I can't find the gross, shut-in guy.

Dimmle

So it turns out Mass Destruction is a good way to deal with Savage Encounters.
BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

If I had to point out something troubling about #FE's social themes aside from the Chapter 2 weirdness, it would be Barry's fixation on Mamori. I'm trying to interpret it as a sort of surrogate fatherly affection filtered through hopeless otaku obsession as much as possible but... sometimes... I dunno about that guy.

Sadist

Question about chapter 5; the mannequins:

You only need to movr the mannequins on the same floor right? I'm totally missing something obvious here
I'm feeling super dumb here :/

Or wait, do you have to move the one on the second floor?

Makonero

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

If I had to point out something troubling about #FE's social themes aside from the Chapter 2 weirdness, it would be Barry's fixation on Mamori. I'm trying to interpret it as a sort of surrogate fatherly affection filtered through hopeless otaku obsession as much as possible but... sometimes... I dunno about that guy.
Super uncomfortable. I went from liking Barry to hating him in relatively short order. And then that creepy dog video...*shudder*

Brakke

Banned
Barry should be locked tf up and Maiko should be in compulsory alcohol rehab and also not allowed to work with anyone under 35.

The OP is such a lie, lol:

Is there anything grossly inappropriate?
No

Dimmle

Super uncomfortable. I went from liking Barry to hating him in relatively short order. And then that creepy dog video...*shudder*

I haven't seen it yet but "creepy dog video" does not sound encouraging.

Barry should be locked tf up and Maiko should be in compulsory alcohol rehab and also not allowed to work with anyone under 35.

The OP is such a lie, lol:

Yeah, for as much fun as I'm having with the game (a lot), these points do ring true.

Vertti

Chapter 5 boss seems to be pretty damn hard. Has tons of HP and can attack 4 times in a row. Tried once and was nowhere near to beat it. Guess I have to grind a bit because don't want to use mirror cheese.

Fiddled with different setups and found a good one. It was still really really close battle with zero EP on my both alive characters. I still think the bosses are really good on this game. First of all you need always some strategy and need to equip the right carnages. Then there's often some kind of gimmick you need to play around. And it's great how tight the battles usually are. It feels so good when you finally beat the boss.

Otherwise the game's problems have become much more clear. Biggest problem is how simple things have been made take much more time than needed. Bloom Palace and unskippable session attacks are the two most biggest culprits and then there's all the loading times. TMS is 60 hours game that could be 40 hours. Also the story is pretty bad but thank god the dungeons and characters are cool and the combat system is addictive so it still a great game. But with simple changes it could be even better.

A.J.

Banned
The final boss really should have a checkpoint between phases. I failed 90% of the way through stage 2 and I really don't want to redo stage 1 again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, so someone remind me: The purple ghost mirage in the Arena has a quest that'll let you learn the skill that lets you open locked chests w/o the Treasure Key item.

Speaking of which, I think I'm at 6 out of 10 mirages recruited for the arena. Is there a full list that I can look at to ensure I'm not missing any at the moment?

Edit: HAHAHAHAHA holy crap, I had a whopping 96 Detritus in my inventory. Time to get a bunch of incense.

Top Bottom