• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss - |OT| The abyss will gaze back into you.

CrovaxPSO

Just remembered another thing I didn't really get in Cross Blood Infinity, does the personality you choose for each character do anything?

I was thinking that the music is particularly good so far. Also, I really like the way the new UI looks with the new portraits.

Agreed, although the XPD officer art looks like it was drawn by a totally different person. It's pretty bad.

Minor nitpick. This game will be mine.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just remembered another thing I didn't really get in Cross Blood Infinity, does the personality you choose for each character do anything?

it effects what blood code you are able to select

similar in wizardry where it effects classes available

Parakeetman

Agreed, although the XPD officer art looks like it was drawn by a totally different person. It's pretty bad.

Minor nitpick. This game will be mine.

there are actually 2 for sure but might be 3 different artists working on the fame. demon gaze was tge same

CrovaxPSO

it effects what blood code you are able to select

similar in wizardry where it effects classes available

I mean the stuff more specific than that. For example, is there any actual difference between お人良し and マイペース if both characters are neutral? If that stuff also affects which blood code you can choose, then no wonder I had trouble with it.

Parakeetman

I mean the stuff more specific than that. For example, is there any actual difference between お人良し and マイペース if both characters are neutral? If that stuff also affects which blood code you can choose, then no wonder I had trouble with it.

ah those are just optional text you can add infor fun am pretty sure since it can be edited

its how they stay profitable lol its the same as id imagine a lot of the map designs will be
similar to the pc one

I'm cool with it, but haven't they been using it since wizardry Xth or at the very least Students of the Round? Are door sounds more expensive than art? Just noticing it is all.

Did you get your copy yet?

Parakeetman

I'm cool with it, but haven't they been using it since wizardry Xth or at the very least Students of the Round? Are door sounds more expensive than art? Just noticing it is all.

Did you get your copy yet?

yeah do have mine and got in a little play time.

the generation xth games all of them reused a lot of assets just like all of the exp inc fantasy titles reuse a lot of resources

ranmafan

Wow the limited edition box is bigger than even I expected! Smaller than the D&D ecapcom one I got last year but one of the biggest LEs Ive gotten for a Vita game.

Now time to play and enjoy!

Parakeetman

Wow the limited edition box is bigger than even I expected! Smaller than the D&D ecapcom one I got last year but one of the biggest LEs Ive gotten for a Vita game.

Now time to play and enjoy!

haha told you! hope you enjoy the game!

Parakeetman

Must be pretty big, 3600 yen in Tenso fees+shipping, should have just gone for the Sofmap bonus, haha. Oh well.

Yeah its seriously huge. I couldnt get mine tonight due to a separate meeting after work so got home late. D:

at least had the normal version to play.

might wind up with another extra normal copy to sell though...

i remember the phantom breaker LE was the same size about. must be a 5pb / mages thing... lol

just finished up all the other work related stuff now so will be turning in for the night, tomorrow night plan on recording footage if it works.

Parakeetman

One thing for sure is that this game uses an older system in general or should I say more the original system the Xth series has always used. Which is based closer to the system of Wizardry in general when it comes to magic points and how you level up. Though the combat part people will have to get used to the fact that you target a group of enemies and not every single individual one like with Demon Gaze for example.

So with that in mind among other issues this game will be a bit more "difficult" to get into in comparison.

Magic is dealt with using the older system of actual points so your starting caster classes will have 3 points to use Lv 1 spells. Once those are used up its back to HQ to get them refilled. Similar to the original Wizardry system. Also leveling up is done by recovering at HQ which you have to pay for. So its basically the "Inn" system. So once said exp is reached for the next level back to HQ - "Rest" - Level Up.

This all was present initially in the series but just am stating it here for those who will have their first experience with this series in general. Or will be those coming from Demon Gaze.

Shizuka

One thing for sure is that this game uses an older system in general or should I say more the original system the Xth series has always used. Which is based closer to the system of Wizardry in general when it comes to magic points and how you level up. Though the combat part people will have to get used to the fact that you target a group of enemies and not every single individual one like with Demon Gaze for example.

So with that in mind among other issues this game will be a bit more "difficult" to get into in comparison.

Magic is dealt with using the older system of actual points so your starting caster classes will have 3 points to use Lv 1 spells. Once those are used up its back to HQ to get them refilled. Similar to the original Wizardry system. Also leveling up is done by recovering at HQ which you have to pay for. So its basically the "Inn" system. So once said exp is reached for the next level back to HQ - "Rest" - Level Up.

This all was present initially in the series but just am stating it here for those who will have their first experience with this series in general. Or will be those coming from Demon Gaze.

Loving that it's more similar to Wizardry than Demon Gaze.

Parakeetman

Must be pretty big, 3600 yen in Tenso fees+shipping, should have just gone for the Sofmap bonus, haha. Oh well.

Mine should show up today the LE so will snap a picture of it then. Currently checking if this works with the PSVTV to see if I can record some stuff now. Wont be anything super interesting considering am still early in the game. But at least will be better footage than what we currently have out.

If it all works that is... D:

CrovaxPSO

Does anyone know of an unboxing video of the limited edition?

Haven't seen any video but I saw a picture of the box opened up which I can't find now of course. Just looked like the art book and a cardboard holder to keep the game from sliding around. Found a picture that gives a decent size comparison for the large box, though.

BtSa2bVCYAA7kxb.png

Parakeetman

Haven't seen any video but I saw a picture of the box opened up which I can't find now of course. Just looked like the art book and a cardboard holder to keep the game from sliding around. Found a picture that gives a decent size comparison for the large box, though.

BtSa2bVCYAA7kxb.png

Yeah thats pretty much the same size as the Phantom Breaker LE haha.

Mine still has not arrived yet as set the time for 1200-1400.

Thankfully the game works on the PSVTV so can record footage. Seriously still wish there was an option to turn off the useless touch controls though. Really bad move of them to add it in there as its too easy to touch the screen by accident and skip text.

Seriously in this day and age if people want touch shit to play they wont be doing it on their vitas so devs should just focus more on what the vita does better. Its not that the touch features are actually useful either with this game, so there is that too. The easy to see results are riding in train and seeing pretty much everyone with their faces buried into their smartphones poking and prodding the screen.

Cant start recording till the packages arrive or else the footage is going to be interrupted somewhere in the middle I just know it according to Murphys Law.

Parakeetman

Unloaded the code got it DLed and closed up the LE to go on the shelf.

Truthfully though wish they didnt make it so huge as its beyond a waste of space and this odd size makes it impossible to fit proper on a shelf.

Am sure this exclusive soundtrack is going to go for a premium since not a lot of places had it at all. From what I saw initially looked like it was just Sofmap that had it as a pre-order exclusive. Everything for this total was almost 90 USD though... came with some NSFW tapestry too.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah, I gave up trying to fit most LE boxes on a shelf. I just take the regular game out and put the LE stuff on a totally separate shelf or in a drawer somewhere. Moero Chronicle had a tall and thin box too (not this big) so I just stuck it where I put most of the pre-order bonus stuff I have.

Just curious, how many pages is the instruction manual? Not like it's a huge deal nowadays but I was wondering if a new publisher meant a smaller booklet.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I gave up trying to fit most LE boxes on a shelf. I just take the regular game out and put the LE stuff on a totally separate shelf or in a drawer somewhere. Moero Chronicle had a tall and thin box too (not this big) so I just stuck it where I put most of the pre-order bonus stuff I have.

Ill most likely put up the other LE for sale on the GAF marketplace along with and 2 extra copies of Freedom Wars.

Need to make funds to get myself a new work laptop as the one I currently have shit the bed... D:

Either a new work laptop or eyeing getting a copy of photoshop to work with since really am starting to not be able to do somethings just using paint.net. More than likely a work laptop though since thats higher priority.

Parakeetman

Just curious, how many pages is the instruction manual? Not like it's a huge deal nowadays but I was wondering if a new publisher meant a smaller booklet.

oh shit i have it all packaged up actually. hang on.

its an actual proper manual about 46 pages. that includes the usual disclaimer pages also.

Sitrus

Finally got my hands on this! Will be my first time playing any game in this series so your OT helped greatly. Now time to finish FW first :D

Parakeetman

Finally got my hands on this! Will be my first time playing any game in this series so your OT helped greatly. Now time to finish FW first :D

Glad to hear you picked it up too. Hope you enjoy it!

Freedom Wars finishing the story shouldnt take too long. :)

----------------

Lets see so have 2 normal copies for sale and 1 LE copy for sale. Everything is price + shipping costs, shipped by Japan Post Office EMS (As it includes tracking #). All relevant information provided.
Payments by paypal only. No refunds provided as once package is out you have a tracking number and it becomes the responsibility of the post office to get it to you, also to prevent any potential fraud by unknown users.
Have a profile on the GAF sales thread all positive sales.

Normal edition 52 USD + shipping
Limited Edition 85 USD + shipping (shipping will most likely be expensive due to the size of the LE)
LE Contains
Art Book
Game
Swimsuit DLC pictured on the first page of the OT and first print bonus DLC. Which is the Code Head Noah character portrait DLC.
*Disclaimer to download DLC for the game you need a Japanese PSN account.

$$$ to be used to get myself a new work laptop as the old one shit the bed as mentioned earlier. D:

Only serious inquiries as I literally do not have time to go back and forth finding out information for you in regards to shipping costs as work schedule is highly busy and window to go to the post office on a daily basis is small / far from the office. Know that your item will be properly packed in a box w/ bubble wrap to provide maximum protection. Also all personal information in regards to the transaction after it has arrived safely on your end will be destroyed to protect your information.

Will leave this in here for about a day or so before moving it over to the official sales thread.

Parakeetman

Updated the OP with 3 gameplay recordings. First is of Chracter Creation, the second is 28 minutes of gameplay footage with dungeon crawling and the third is item creation / powering up existing items.

List of things you will notice and will answer in advance to save everyone time.

• You have so many character portraits!
    These are all DLC contents from the following.
    1 from the Limited Edition (Swimsuit Heroines) #17-22
    1 from the Famitsu Game Magazine (Dark Hero Pack) #23-28
    1 from First Print Bonus (CHAOS; HEAD NOAH) #29-34
  • Do you really have to reroll so many times to get the highest possible number for stats point allocation?
    Not really but it does make things easier. If you really are hardcore do what I do sometimes when I do a second playthrough and roll only once per character.
  • What does the extra text for personality do after you pick your alignment?
    Apparently nothing, its just "flavor text" that will show up sometimes in battle. Does not really have any impact on the actual game itself as far as I know.
  • Reused monster graphics
    This really isnt all that uncommon for Experience Inc. nor is it a unique situation for them, Starfish and ZeroDiv are 2 other well known devs within the genre who do the same. Am certain it is done to help cut production costs as they are a small studio and not a massive dev house with huge financial backing from a publisher. Generally all the fans of the company are used to this and dont seem to mind that much as long as the actual game content itself is enjoyable.
  • Reused graphics, sound effects, tile set for dungeon.
    Same answer as above.
  • Character art for characters in game vs. character art for character portraits look different?
    With the DLC ones aside, for the main vanilla game there are 2 different artists working on character design. Kurosawa Tetsu クロサワテツ and Oxijiyen 沖史慈 宴(おきしじえん)
  • There is no MP for magic?
    Magic is by the old system of allocated points per magic level. Not standard MP. What that means is the following example of a Wizards lv 1 spell tier below.

3 - Fire, Wind, Avoid Down

You have 3 points to use in all of those lv 1 spells. Once that runs out you need to go back to HQ to recover the MP said number of points per level increases as your character gets advances in levels.
  • Combat seems simple.
    For the time being it may seem that way since its the start of the game, but later on things will ramp up a bit. Also a separate issue in the point below explains another combat related feature.
  • You cant target individual targets in a group. Example target Monster #1 in Monster Group A .
    Game has you targeting groups instead of individual targets, then the AI decides on what gets hit apparently.
  • Why do you have no class skills?
    Those come into play later on a lot of the classes gain skills from lv 7.
  • Characters are not leveling up in the dungeon map?
    To level up you need to return to HQ and allow your characters to rest in the medical facility which costs money. This is the older type of leveling system that Wizardry used.
  • Dungeons look a bit bare?
    Its just the way this particular game was designed. This series was one of Experience's first titles when they went off on their own after Michaelsoft folded.
  • Why are some items in red text during the item creating / powering up video?
    Red text means that you dont meet the level req for the particular item. Level req shown in upper left side I think it was.
  • I dont understand all of the things listed in the item details.
    That has always been the games weak point is the item descriptions are a bit of a mess. If folks were having trouble with the simple and fairly easy to understand Demon Gaze item details, I have a feeling they will be crying over this one. The scrolling text at the bottom too which is supposed to be the "description" doesnt help also due to how small the scrolling text section is. They should have just made a separate window to switch to that had all the description text.
  • What is that numbered Gauge in the upper left corner of the screen which seems to fill up more and more as you fight?
    It shows the added strength of monsters in the dungeon, the more you fight the more the gauge fills up. The higher it is the more levels will be potentially added to the monsters in the dungeon. Very simple pros and cons of this below.

Pros: More Exp / Money / Better item drops.
    Cons: Chance to get totally roflstomped also rises.

The level of this meter is also saved when you exit the dungeon which will bring us to the next question.
  • How do you decrease the level of the gauge if leaving the dungeon does not reset it?
    Successfully running from battles will drop the gauges level by 1. Also the less desirable solution is if your party wipes the gauge is totally reset back to 0.

Parakeetman

Added another video with more Dungeon running in the same as previous vid. Though now the enemy strength meter is added which goes up as you win more fights. The higher lv it is the stronger the enemies become. Though the up side to this is that they give more exp / money and chance to drop better loot from the "chests".

Also has the first "boss" fight with one of the wanted monsters. It wasnt that bad at all.

One thing this game has over Demon Gaze which makes it a bit easier is you make your own equipment for the most part and upgrade things yourself. Just what will take time is collecting the resources to do so. Though the upgrading is a bit more work intensive than Demon Gaze as you require multiple parts to upgrade where Demon Gaze was just the Ether Engine that you used stored up Ether to power up your gear with.

Right now am running around with my swimsuit party for the hell of it and its GLORIOUS.
Since I managed to collect enough junk with my main party to have a decent supply of gear ready for them when they level up a bit more.

cj_iwakura

Added another video with more Dungeon running in the same as previous vid. Though now the enemy strength meter is added which goes up as you win more fights. The higher lv it is the stronger the enemies become. Though the up side to this is that they give more exp / money and chance to drop better loot from the "chests".

Also has the first "boss" fight with one of the wanted monsters. It wasnt that bad at all.

Wow, that IS Gen Xth: Code Hazard's first dungeon. Same BGM, look, everything.

Parakeetman

Wow, that IS Gen Xth: Code Hazard's first dungeon. Same BGM, look, everything.

Considering it is a remake of the original series it shouldnt really be much of a surprise to folks.

Its something new to folks whos first game was Demon Gaze and to fans of Experience Inc. already knew what they were getting into with buying this game as they have been open about what the title is and never tried to play it off as being something it is not.

Parakeetman

Does it have best girl?

gx6.jpg

If you know who that character is, then you pretty much should know the answer eh? :)

Considering the OT has everyones names included in the character section.

Tojo Takuma is most likely the character who looks nothing like the original design.

From Cross Blood would be Mura Masahachi lol

Parakeetman

are there some difficulty setting, infinity mode? hehe

There is an item that increases the difficulty. Though will have to see what happens once you clear the game if another is unlocked. Didnt look if could up the difficulty from the start of the game. Dont recall any option popping up before I started though. I have not used the item yet myself. Its like you equip it on yourself I think and it raises the strength of the enemies by 5 levels or something.

The downside that item is part of the "first print edition" DLC so not sure how they will handle it once those run out. D:

I forgot how easy it is to get items in this game though as the drop rate is pretty constant. But what makes up for it is just how many items there are esp when it comes to making / powering up your own gear.

Let me check the start menu and get back to you in a sec.

Yeah there is no option setting for difficulty at the start of the game or in the options menu itself. Though you can play the game with the original graphics / character customization if you want lol.

Im pretty sure next month Ultimate should give us more of a challenge. :)

cj_iwakura

If you know who that character is, then you pretty much should know the answer eh? :)

Considering the OT has everyones names included in the character section.

Tojo Takuma is most likely the character who looks nothing like the original design.

Wow, never recognized her. I kind of miss the old art, ah well. The PC character art is way better in this.

Top Bottom