• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss - |OT| The abyss will gaze back into you.

CrovaxPSO

That's a nice writeup to address some potentially troublesome issues, and great videos as well. My LE should arrive early next week. Since this does seem like a remake, I wonder if the "Abyss 2" I've seen the Experience staff mention on Twitter from time to time will be another remake as well. I'm not too familiar with the Xth series so I don't know how many games it is until we're back up to Cross Blood.

For shipping the LE, Tenso gave me a weight of 1.1 kg which is 2800 yen via EMS to North America. That's probably with minimal packing as well since they just reuse whatever Amazon sends it in, usually just in a box taped to one side of it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That's a nice writeup to address some potentially troublesome issues, and great videos as well. My LE should arrive early next week. Since this does seem like a remake, I wonder if the "Abyss 2" I've seen the Experience staff mention on Twitter from time to time will be another remake as well. I'm not too familiar with the Xth series so I don't know how many games it is until we're back up to Cross Blood.

For shipping the LE, Tenso gave me a weight of 1.1 kg which is 2800 yen via EMS to North America. That's probably with minimal packing as well since they just reuse whatever Amazon sends it in, usually just in a box taped to one side of it.

with the original xth series there were 3 games in order of release.

Generation Xth Code Hazard
Generation Xth Code Breaker
Generation Xth Code Realize

Then came the Cross Blood game.

Im totally all for it if they redo them all!

You know that does seem rather cheap with the shipping considering. Id imagine it would be higher than that if packed proper as you said lol. Though by far its EMS all the way as it has tracking and generally shows up pretty fast to the US.

Wow, never recognized her. I kind of miss the old art, ah well. The PC character art is way better in this.

You would think that the ribbons are a dead giveaway eh? Well besides the name being in the OT and all...

CrovaxPSO

with the original xth series there were 3 games in order of release.

Generation Xth Code Hazard
Generation Xth Code Breaker
Generation Xth Code Realize

Then came the Cross Blood game.

Im totally all for it if they redo them all!

You know that does seem rather cheap with the shipping considering. Id imagine it would be higher than that if packed proper as you said lol. Though by far its EMS all the way as it has tracking and generally shows up pretty fast to the US.

You would think that the ribbons are a dead giveaway eh? Well besides the name being in the OT and all...

Since I never played any of the others, I definitely wouldn't mind more remakes.

And yeah, EMS is super quick, usually takes 4 days for stuff to arrive. Over 1 kg is usually when I start thinking about a cheaper option though. As great as Tenso is, their EMS requirement and service fee (which also goes up with package weight) makes bigger items like this less appealing to go through them. Probably would have gone with Airmail from Amiami to save about $10 in shipping and another $10 in fees, the trade off being getting the game a few days later than EMS.

Parakeetman

Since I never played any of the others, I definitely wouldn't mind more remakes.

And yeah, EMS is super quick, usually takes 4 days for stuff to arrive. Over 1 kg is usually when I start thinking about a cheaper option though. As great as Tenso is, their EMS requirement and service fee (which also goes up with package weight) makes bigger items like this less appealing to go through them. Probably would have gone with Airmail from Amiami to save about $10 in shipping and another $10 in fees, the trade off being getting the game a few days later than EMS.

In general one thing for sure is the series did need a bit of a rehaul with the graphics as the style doesnt really match this day and age. Which is expected when things move on in terms of artistic design. So basically its just the hardcore fans picking it up. With the redone artwork in Operation Abyss its attracting all folks from the Demon Gaze fanbase which is a good thing. So Id Imagine if the sales go well they will most def be making others. Though I wonder exactly how much from the 3 have they combined into OA seeing how some characters were not present in the first game I think. Like Mura Masahachi, who was actually a male character. Though this is most def the first game in the series though.

For this day and age I like EMS since we can track packages, so many problems with where packages go when I send to friends in the US that we agreed not to send anything else besides EMS so we know where something goes missing if it ever does.

But yeah shipping costs are always the killer point esp for LE type of stuff... D:

I think this is a pretty smart way for Exp Inc to reboot the series by having used the same artists that were on Demon Gaze which got a lot of new fans to the genre / company.

CrovaxPSO

My copy came a day earlier than I thought it would. Played for a couple hours until I just went through a one-way door in this area with all the teleports, and now I'm trying to get back to where I was, haha. This feels a lot like Cross Blood Infinity, as expected I guess. It will probably be a pain later on, but I decided to try out an archer in the front row. I put some extra points into vitality so she hopefully doesn't get destroyed.

Once again getting tripped up by kanji, and the stylized font makes it kind of hard to see it properly to look it up. I'm pretty sure I know what the two stats are, but just checking. Are the two stats in the green box defense and armor class?
tLeYeRj.jpg

Parakeetman

My copy came a day earlier than I thought it would. Played for a couple hours until I just went through a one-way door in this area with all the teleports, and now I'm trying to get back to where I was, haha. This feels a lot like Cross Blood Infinity, as expected I guess. It will probably be a pain later on, but I decided to try out an archer in the front row. I put some extra points into vitality so she hopefully doesn't get destroyed.

Once again getting tripped up by kanji, and the stylized font makes it kind of hard to see it properly to look it up. I'm pretty sure I know what the two stats are, but just checking. Are the two stats in the green box defense and armor class?
tLeYeRj.jpg

yeah should be i think. also the armor class and accuracy the lower the number goes the better. defense higher is better

i hate it when games do two different things with stats lol

CrovaxPSO

I was pretty sure that's what they were, but wasn't 100% certain.

I was wandering around this building with all the warps for a good 40 minutes until I finally found a group of people that turned into monsters back on the first level you start on, and that seems to have placed more of them in other places. I don't know how I missed them the first time since I had the whole place explored already.

Parakeetman

I was pretty sure that's what they were, but wasn't 100% certain.

I was wandering around this building with all the warps for a good 40 minutes until I finally found a group of people that turned into monsters back on the first level you start on, and that seems to have placed more of them in other places. I don't know how I missed them the first time since I had the whole place explored already.

that place is an interesting first map and will have you flipping through the map pages a lot to confirm where you are warping into.

archers wont get a useful bow till lv 5 tge short bow is lv 2 i think

CrovaxPSO

that place is an interesting first map and will have you flipping through the map pages a lot to confirm where you are warping into.

archers wont get a useful bow till lv 5 tge short bow is lv 2 i think

Yeah, I was missing a couple warp tiles but I got it figured out and just finished this quest.

I have a long bow ready to go for the archer but the short bow is doing alright for now. I've already created level 5 and 6 items for almost the whole party ready to go when I level up, this seems much easier to start than Cross Blood Infinity was.

Game seems interesting and i loved demon gaze..
Alas my game time has shrunk so playing with my jp reference to get kanji right, or playing with a translation guide are a big no-no nowdays...

Parakeetman

leveled up a bit more so am lv 12 now abd am still collecting more loot and maximizing my gear lvs.

while she doesnt have a lot of hp my samurai is currently the most useful member of the party

CrovaxPSO

Seem to be a little stuck. This quest wants me to go into an abyss zone by going through the tunnel(s), but the only way to proceed down there is across shock tiles that do too much damage to cross. I'll try going back through the building to get to the abyss that way and see if that gets me there.

Dorarnae

still waiting for my copy. sigh. finished wizardry asterisk recently, guess I'll start another wizardry game til this arrive.

Dorarnae

Seem to be a little stuck. This quest wants me to go into an abyss zone by going through the tunnel(s), but the only way to proceed down there is across shock tiles that do too much damage to cross. I'll try going back through the building to get to the abyss that way and see if that gets me there.

float spell to go over trap floor (lvl 2 wizard spell I think)

CrovaxPSO

float spell to go over trap floor (lvl 2 wizard spell I think)

Didn't even think to check that, thanks! Just curious, would it be possible to proceed without a wizard besides just healing constantly as you go across?

Oh, well, it was just one tile, could have easily walked across just one...

Dorarnae

Didn't even think to check that, thanks! Just curious, would it be possible to proceed without a wizard besides just healing constantly as you go across?

not sure. I know in wizardry xth there was an item you could craft or some race could fly over water ect. but not sure about this one.

Parakeetman

there are items that can provide float but truthfully you are better off with a wizard

also do believe you do not get float till an event i think

CrovaxPSO

not sure. I know in wizardry xth there was an item you could craft or some race could fly over water ect. but not sure about this one.

Interesting. I realized I saw them tell me about Enfloat but I read it as In Front by mistake, and thought it was talking about party formation.

I really like the gauge system. It gives you a really good risk/reward feeling. I was just thinking about starting to run from some fights to lower my gauge when I ran into the ogre for one of the quests and managed to beat it, pretty exciting.

Dorarnae

there are items that can provide float but truthfully you are better off with a wizard

also do believe you do not get float till an event i think

If it's like meikyuu cross blood, wizard are OP. the miracle spell and the quad bolt are really good. Usuallly in wizardry you lose a lvl when you cast a miracle but not in meikyuu

Parakeetman

Interesting. I realized I saw them tell me about Enfloat but I read it as In Front by mistake, and thought it was talking about party formation.

I really like the gauge system. It gives you a really good risk/reward feeling. I was just thinking about starting to run from some fights to lower my gauge when I ran into the ogre for one of the quests and managed to beat it, pretty exciting.

yeah the gauge system is useful for the most part im running around with mine maxed out. unlessi know of an area with specific enemy types that will be troublesome and spawn in large numbers usually. when you hit vabel you will see wgat i mean once you get through the initial room of that dungeon. great place for loot cash and exp tho

Parakeetman

Yeah I think if you find the accessory part you still should be able to. As so far Ive found two types that have the float effect on it.

CrovaxPSO

I unlocked the blood code for monk, which is what I originally wanted to start with instead of an archer, but now I'm not sure I want to replace my archer. With a longbow+4 she does pretty crazy damage, and so far seems to be doing fine in the front row.

Dorarnae

I unlocked the blood code for monk, which is what I originally wanted to start with instead of an archer, but now I'm not sure I want to replace my archer. With a longbow+4 she does pretty crazy damage, and so far seems to be doing fine in the front row.

aww that sucks, it's one of the few class I haven't played much...
I wonder if you unlock Siz,Ilith and Ras later.

Parakeetman

already maxed out my main party at the first lv cap of 15. might just buy exp for the swimsuit party lol

CrovaxPSO

oh they put lvl cap in that one too? are there gamble code?

There's a trophy ギャンブルマニア for gambling 30 times. I haven't seen it yet though so I'm not sure how to do it. I'm pretty early in though still and I think I need to do a bit of grinding for a while. My party is almost level 7 but enemies are around 13 at just level 2 of the gauge.

Dorarnae

There's a trophy ギャンブルマニア for gambling 30 times. I haven't seen it yet though so I'm not sure how to do it. I'm pretty early in though still and I think I need to do a bit of grinding for a while. My party is almost level 7 but enemies are around 13 at just level 2 of the gauge.

oh ok nice. gamble code are for crafting. you put it with an item(equipment) and it'll reroll for a new item that is around 5 lvl lower or higher than the current item.
It's a nice a way to get certain rare items.

Parakeetman

oh they put lvl cap in that one too? are there gamble code?

yeah the lv cap is in didnt get the gamble stuff yet.

working on maxing my second party now lol

I should just advance the story more. I went and blew 20k though on buying exp for the 2nd party. Most of it went to my samurai in the 2nd party. :D Trying to see if I can make her more offensive based. But it seems like using a 2H katana does not seem to do as much damage output as 2 good 1H ones...plus less chance of getting an insta-kill proc.

Game also sold 15,000 copies so far! Famitsu numbers say 16,000

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20140730080/

---

My main party pics are in the same order as the PT itself. (this was before everyone hit the cap wall)

CrovaxPSO

Here's my party at level 9

I always spread stat points around, giving everyone some extra agility/HP/luck but I'm not sure it's really worth it. It's nice to have faster turn orders and stuff, but I'm starting to think it's not worth the loss of straight damage/power/etc. Looking at your stats, I'm not sure I'm gearing properly either. I haven't farmed that much so I only really have whatever junk items I've randomly found and created.

Parakeetman

your casters look fine though might want to up the scholars int a bit.

for the knight you might want to decide what role you plan on using it for. mine is set up to be the shield of the party once i get the defend skill. its similar to what ive done in stranger, which is why agi and str is not as high of a priority. might raise luck a little to help protect against status stuff tho.

the main pt are my door kickers for taking down large enemy types. am outfitting the other for loot collection

once you get that babel place unlocked its great for material and item farming dont go to the other warp points until you have some spare auto mapping items. those are limited in the shops too so beware. when you do use them try to stay out for as long as possible to make good use of it.

CrovaxPSO

your casters look fine though might want to up the scholars int a bit.

for the knight you might want to decide what role you plan on using it for. mine is set up to be the shield of the party once i get the defend skill. its similar to what ive done in stranger, which is why agi and str is not as high of a priority. might raise luck a little to help protect against status stuff tho.

the main pt are my door kickers for taking down large enemy types. am outfitting the other for loot collection

once you get that babel place unlocked its great for material and item farming dont go to the other warp points until you have some spare auto mapping items. those are limited in the shops too so beware. when you do use them try to stay out for as long as possible to make good use of it.

Yeah, once I saw that the guard skill isn't until later I gave the knight some more strength early on, starting to pump into HP now. I have a two-handed sword for her to use also for a nice damage boost if I want.

I'm not sure I fully understand the hit value stat (命中値). Do you have gear on your knight and fighter that lowers it? My fighter's is a full 10 points higher than yours, and I'm pretty sure negative is good for that stat?

I'll farm in the Babelsphere or whatever it's called for a while, my gauge is almost maxed so hopefully I can find some nice stuff.

Dorarnae

I always spread stat points around, giving everyone some extra agility/HP/luck but I'm not sure it's really worth it. It's nice to have faster turn orders and stuff, but I'm starting to think it's not worth the loss of straight damage/power/etc. Looking at your stats, I'm not sure I'm gearing properly either. I haven't farmed that much so I only really have whatever junk items I've randomly found and created.

intel and vitality is probably the best. agility can be nice but I assume you can still act first with some union skill...

Parakeetman

That's what I thought, I can't seem to get any items that lower it. Also, I've only found rank D and C code chips. Are the higher ranks just in later areas or can something be done to increase their rank?

there are some items also higher agi lowers it not sure what the formula is yet. characters when they level up it goes down when stats increase too

you can try to stick on the lv increasing item. but generally b rank stuff will come out from higher level areas.

Parakeetman

intel and vitality is probably the best. agility can be nice but I assume you can still act first with some union skill...

yeah they still have the first strike one though good only once with how your gauge almost goes empty with it.

for prolonged fights most def at least want to have the healer slightly above average speed

Dorarnae

yeah they still have the first strike one though good only once with how your gauge almost goes empty with it.

for prolonged fights most def at least want to have the healer slightly above average speed

doesn't your gauge increase after a few use? In meikyuu it wasn't really a problem...

CrovaxPSO

Found some really good items for classes I don't have in the no-map areas of the Babel zone, haha. Got some decent new armor for my front line and healer as well, so I'm happy about that. The enemies I have to kill to proceed are a little too tough at lv6 gauge so I need to either grind some more or reduce the gauge a bit. Party just hit level 10.

Parakeetman

Found some really good items for classes I don't have in the no-map areas of the Babel zone, haha. Got some decent new armor for my front line and healer as well, so I'm happy about that. The enemies I have to kill to proceed are a little too tough at lv6 gauge so I need to either grind some more or reduce the gauge a bit. Party just hit level 10.

even capped out at 15 the babel zone is dangerous to me. the ones past the starting zone. am running full gauge plus the enemy level up item

CrovaxPSO

the worst are the little robot rabbit looking enemies and above that is the tapeworm one as they both do all pt dmg

Those are the ones that I kept almost dying to before realizing I probably shouldn't be trying to fight them yet. I went completely through both of the no-map areas and had to gate back out when I ran into those guys in the next areas.

Parakeetman

Those are the ones that I kept almost dying to before realizing I probably shouldn't be trying to fight them yet. I went completely through both of the no-map areas and had to gate back out when I ran into those guys in the next areas.

i forget which but one of the rabbit bots are weak to water. the tapeworms are weak to wind? i think...

the stupid tapeworm does a lot more damage to all pt members and seems to be semi physical dmg resistant

Fhoenix

There is so little info about the game on the net. Thanks for the thread, it's very enlightening.
Dungeon crawlers are not my thing really. But I so like these character designs.

Some random questions.

1)How is the story? Is it interesting? Or more like just an excuse to go into dungeons?
2)Is there a protagonist in this game? Or do you just play as a group of custom-made students?
3)How do trophies look from your side? Easy? Hard? (Like Freedom Wars has easy trophies, not counting that you have to go online. While Oreshika has a ton of "do one thing a thousand times" trophies, that I am not sure you would get even if you played a hundred hours)

Parakeetman

There is so little info about the game on the net. Thanks for the thread, it's very enlightening.
Dungeon crawlers are not my thing really. But I so like these character designs.

Some random questions.

1)How is the story? Is it interesting? Or more like just an excuse to go into dungeons?
2)Is there a protagonist in this game? Or do you just play as a group of custom-made students?
3)How do trophies look from your side? Easy? Hard? (Like Freedom Wars has easy trophies, not counting that you have to go online. While Oreshika has a ton of "do one thing a thousand times" trophies, that I am not sure you would get even if you played a hundred hours)

1)Yes there is a story and its hard to say if its interesting or not considering everyones tastes are different. I like it for what it is. It also depends on what your expectations of a story are. This is a "remake" so to speak from the original trilogy which was on the PC. Though am currently not sure how much of the 3 titles they combined. But it is most def from the first game in the original trilogy.

2)Theoretically Alice Mifune is the protagonist, but its not like you actually take her along in battle. So you do play a group of custom made students.

3) no idea about the trophies as never pay attention to them myself. so im really the last person you want to ask.

though a lot of the stuff looking at the list goes off of doing things a certain number of times clearing X dungeon, beating X monster, advance story etc. Pretty standard stuff.

http://www.exophase.com/game/東京新世録-オペレーションアビス-ps-vita/trophies/

not in english though the link above unfortunately.

finally got my copy. time to start this :)

welcome to the party my friend :)

Top Bottom