• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars |OT| Ghost Recon meets Advance Wars

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FWIW, bought the UK version and the cover is like the bottom image in the OP, but with 'shadow wars' filling the full width of the cover, no '3D!!!!' logo on it at all.

From the Gamecentral review:
Cons: Embarrassingly poor story and characterisation. Weak graphics and few genuinely new ideas. No online or wireless options.
That's too bad, I was hoping the story would at least be serviceable. I love a decent story with my SRPG's. At least the gameplay seems solid though.

I'll copy and paste this from the other thread:

So does anyone know how much content Ghost Recon has, and how much gameplay variety it has? I am thinking this or Rayman 3DS with my $35 credit, but I don't know. If it has as much variety as Advance Wars, then I'd love to get it, but if it only has a single player and some multiplayer I'll never use, then I'll pass.

Luigiv

The Mana Legend said:

So does anyone know how much content Ghost Recon has, and how much gameplay variety it has? I am thinking this or Rayman 3DS with my $35 credit, but I don't know. If it has as much variety as Advance Wars, then I'd love to get it, but if it only has a single player and some multiplayer I'll never use, then I'll pass.
I don't remember the exact number, but it's fairly beefy. It's got a long campaign plus additional skirmish matches and hotseat multiplayer.

Edit:
3DS Buzz said:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars will feature several game modes. The story mode will feature 37 missions, giving over 37 hours of gameplay. The player will be able to unlock 20 skirmish missions, with three different levels of difficulty. There will also be eleven one-on-one maps, for multi-player gaming.
Source

The Mana Legend said:

Here's some info from an IGN interview with Julian Gollop.
IGN: About how long is the game – how many single-player levels? How many multi-player?

Gollop: In the story based campaign mode there are 37 missions, which will take about 25-45 hours to play through, depending on difficulty level selected and the tactical expertise of the player. In this mode the player can level up his characters and equip them. There are 10 two-player missions, in which players take turns to control the console.

IGN: Are there any other modes in the game?

Gollop: There are 20 'skirmish missions' which are standalone missions with fixed deployments. Some of them are training missions, some are battles, and some are puzzley. These missions are unlocked either by completing certain campaign misisons or by earning ranks. The rank system is based on earning 'eagles'. You gain a number of eagles for each mission based on the difficulty selected (rookie, veteran or elite). In order to gain the maximum rank you need to complete all the campaign and skirmish missions at the highest difficulty. Fortunately you can always go back to any unlocked mission and try it again at a higher difficulty.
And some info on multiplayer:
IGN: Let's talk multiplayer. You're planning on two-player support. Are we just looking at local support?

Gollop: The multiplayer support only allows you to play on the same system. Full online capability would have been another feature to significantly delay the release. Again, we had many good ideas here, but we decided to focus on the single player experience to deliver at least 40-50 hours solid game play for everybody.
Here's the full article: http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1154963p1.html

mandiller

I'm getting this free with my 3DS. Looks like it might turn out into not such a bad freebie after all!

As long as I go into it being well aware it is just a DS game rushed onto the 3DS I think I'll enjoy it. The Eurogamer review makes the 3D effects sound nice, with the world looking a bit like a toybox or a diorama.

Does anyone have the game already? What's your impressions?

Seda

mrklaw said:
FWIW, bought the UK version and the cover is like the bottom image in the OP, but with 'shadow wars' filling the full width of the cover, no '3D!!!!' logo on it at all.

fixed OP thanks

Morokh

Okay, bought it as my first and only 3DS game for now, played the first two missions, and it seems quite good so far.

The 3D effect is really surprising, it's like playing a board game with the 3DS screen being your window on the board it's a nice graphical improvement :p

Linkup

Loved the soundtrack in Advance Wars, unfortnately it doesn't sound like that's something they are putting effort into.

Xater

I only played two missions of it so far, but I liked what I saw. The story department already seems to be lacking but from a gameplay standpoint it seems to deliver. Glad I got the game, the only other launch title I considered was SSF4 and that's just a port.

pslong009

Neo Member
I was going to wait until Sunday to pick this up with my 3DS, but with all the positive reviews plus the anecdotes that there wasn't a huge print run on this plus the Amazon $10 credit deal, I ordered it on Amazon. Can't wait.

DoubleTap said:
Is there a separate Battle or Fight Scene or is it pretty much all top down view?
It's all top down from the side, from movement to action it's seamless, but you can also move the camera up for an almost straight top down view. The analog pad rotates the view, so you can look behind buildings and cover, but the camera will only "stick" in the regular view you see in all the screenshots and that straight down top view I mentioned. The camera will zoom in on the action when you perform special attacks.

mandiller said:
As long as I go into it being well aware it is just a DS game rushed onto the 3DS I think I'll enjoy it.
People. Please. Stop writing stuff to this effect. What do you mean by this? No part of this game is rushed, it looks fantastic and the 3D is used really really well, it plays great, there is quite a lot of content-- surely more than most of the other launch titles.

Ketch

So the question for me is: This or Pokemon black for my second game. I wonder if Pokemon will be cheaper.

Emitan

mandiller said:
As long as I go into it being well aware it is just a DS game rushed onto the 3DS I think I'll enjoy it.
And Rayman 2 is a 4th gen game port, and Super Street Fighter IV is a 360/PS3 port. It's not like this game is unique in not being originally designed for the system.

Truth101

Banned
EasyTGT said:
So the question for me is: This or Pokemon black for my second game. I wonder if Pokemon will be cheaper.

Honestly Pokemon is not going down in price, new, any time soon, but I could see this game hitting the shelves at a cheaper price in a while.

M3d10n

Oneiroscope said:
People. Please. Stop writing stuff to this effect. What do you mean by this? No part of this game is rushed, it looks fantastic and the 3D is used really really well, it plays great, there is quite a lot of content-- surely more than most of the other launch titles.
While it is one of the meatiest launch games it is obvious this was originally a DS game. Time was spent up-porting the game to the 3DS that could have been used into other features (like wireless/online multiplayer).

Emitan

EasyTGT said:
Pokemon Pearl is still $35 new on Amazon. If you don't want Pokemon Black for $35, then you're never playing it.

Draft

tumblr_lfecp3K8Ay1qzpbds.jpg

gfs_29082_1_7.jpg

Mo0

Possibly a stupid question, but how many save slots are there? My roommate and I would rather buy just the one copy if we can both play our own campaigns.

Bernbaum

Totally getting this.

Had a suspicion it'd be good. Well, the visuals look like the arse and the plot is probably pure poop but gimme a handheld strategy game any day and imma be a happy camper.

bought, as is anything made by Julian Gollop, he made laser squad people THE HOURS I WASTED ON THAT GAME (and xcom of course)

I don't mean to nitpick, but it kind of feels off to have the title be "Ghost Recon meets Advance Wars" when all of the reviews pretty much indicate that it's more Fire Emblem than anything. :V

But yeah, definitely using my $35 3DS credit on this.

Xater

Mo0 said:
Possibly a stupid question, but how many save slots are there? My roommate and I would rather buy just the one copy if we can both play our own campaigns.

4 slots, so more than enough for you guys.

Been playing for 2 hours, and it is a decent strategy game. Not amazed yet, but was fun playing the Skirmish (extra missions) for a challenge. I am sure it will become more fun later. The only critique I have is that it fails at being appealing with style. Advance Wars had likeable characters and style to go with its deep gameplay.

mandiller

Billychu said:
And Rayman 2 is a 4th gen game port, and Super Street Fighter IV is a 360/PS3 port. It's not like this game is unique in not being originally designed for the system.
The Street Fighter 4 comparison makes no sense. The game might be a port of an older game, but it makes use of the 3ds's features. It has support for street pass, play coins and the 3ds's graphical horsepower. Ghost Recon on the other hand looks like a DS game with DS art assets, does not have street pass, does not use play coins. About the only thing it has to distinguish it from it's original DS beginnings is a wider top screen and 3d thrown in. I'm not saying it'll be a bad game, but it so very obviously a DS game rushed onto the 3DS for launch.

So I finally got around to watching the gameplay video, and now I'm really conflicted about whether to get this or Rayman.

I'm actually debating just getting both!

I have 4 hours into it now and it's good. Not Advance Wars good, but good. It lacks the personality of AW titles, and the graphics are DS quality, which makes sense since it was a DS title originally. I wouldn't recommend this to someone if it were on the DS. There's far better games of this type on that system, but as a launch title it's quite good.

szaromir

Banned
Are the story sequences unskippable that there are so many complaints? SRPGs always have terrible stories and I never see that much whining.

Xater

Looks like this really shapes up to be the launch title besides Street Fighter.

szaromir said:
Are the story sequences unskippable that there are so many complaints? SRPGs always have terrible stories and I never see that much whining.

You have to press your way through all the dialogues. The problem is mainly that there almost is no story. I actually have no idea why I am fighting.

szaromir

Banned
Xater said:
You have to press your way through all the dialogues. The problem is mainly that there almost is no story. I actually have no idea why I am fighting.
That's too bad, the 'Start' button works wonders for AW/FE crap stories.

Xater said:
Looks like this really shapes up to be the launch title besides Street Fighter.

Yeah my gripe with this game is how I can't skip the dialogues. At least I can skip the "story" before the mission briefing. Been playing some more and the stealth class is pretty fun to use.
I am playing it on the hardest difficulty from the beginning, as it doesn't grade like Advance Wars on how you finish them. It does however give you additional tasks at least on a higher difficulty, opposed to more enemies/different patterns in Advance Wars.

Decent game, I'm enjoying it. Played a few hours and the missions are starting to get more interesting. This honestly didn't need to be a 3ds title but whatever. Pleased to see its getting decent reviews.

Top Bottom