• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars |OT| Ghost Recon meets Advance Wars

padlock said:
I'm getting pretty tired of people insenuating that unless 3D adds to gameplay, it isn't worthwhile. You never hear people say things like "The HD visiuals looked great but didn't actually add to the gameplay, and so are nothing more then a gimmick."

3D, like HD graphics or Surround Sound, improves the presentation of the game and helps with immersion. There's nothing wrong with that. Why do some act like it needs to do more in order to be considered worthwhile?
You're exactly right. I have a feeling that my favorite uses of the 3D effect on the 3DS will have little to nothing to do with how they affect the gameplay but more to do with just how pleasant they are to look at. HD is a great analogy in that regard.

I'm absolutely loving the 3D in Shadow Wars so far, much more than I thought I would, and it has nothing to do with how it affects the gameplay.

botticus

Gamecocks625 said:
The original Rainbow Six with multiplayer in a college dorm was by far the most fun I've ever had with a shooter. One shot, baby. Those were the days.
We were apparently slightly behind you, since we rocked Rogue Spear, but otherwise entirely agreed.

My system is out for delivery today, so I will get to do something with Shadow Wars besides look at the box tonight.

botticus said:
We were apparently slightly behind you, since we rocked Rogue Spear, but otherwise entirely agreed.

My system is out for delivery today, so I will get to do something with Shadow Wars besides look at the box tonight.
As the Gamestop guy who was there when I bought Ghost Recon at 4 P.M. on Saturday said, "Have fun staring at the Ghost Recon box for 8 hours."

I've finished 2 chapters so far, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

According to my 3DS I have spent 9 hours and 29 minutes on this game (I don't know if that includes the time while being in sleep mode), but I failed several times on the last two missions in chapter 2 because I'm playing on the elite difficulty. If it gets even harder I might have to turn the difficulty down a notch, but so far I don't mind retrying missions and trying out different strategies.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who has any kind of interest in turn based strategy games. It's well made and it has a very long campaign.

The only downside for me is that there is no online whatsoever, but I can look past that since it's a launch game. At least it doesn't feel like the rest of the game suffers from being a launch title, and hopefully there will be a sequel down the line that adds online multiplayer/co-op.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
padlock said:
I'm getting pretty tired of people insenuating that unless 3D adds to gameplay, it isn't worthwhile. You never hear people say things like "The HD visiuals looked great but didn't actually add to the gameplay, and so are nothing more then a gimmick."

3D, like HD graphics or Surround Sound, improves the presentation of the game and helps with immersion. There's nothing wrong with that. Why do some act like it needs to do more in order to be considered worthwhile?
hahah yeah. it seems like the only negativity in almost all of the reviews just stems from the fact that this was originally slated to be a DS game. gives an easy setup for the "Cons" category that may or may not have much to do with reality. can't speak to it personally -- can't wait to finally dig in today though

MrMephistoX

Will probably at least gamefly this. I've been DS-less for a while so I picked up Fire Emblem and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin instead.

Man I can't decide if I should get this game or not..

I haven't played Bowsers inside story yet and I am thinking of getting that or this..

PKrockin

mrklaw said:
Lol, we got him. We can pack up and go home now.

Heh, look like I owe you ten bucks. Can't believe he's gullible enough to think an Ubisoft launch game could be anything but pure shovelware! :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bahaha i thought it was obvious this was a troll thread. i'd feel bad if people actually spent money thinking otherwise, but thankfully most places have pretty good return policies

AstroLad said:
bahaha i thought it was obvious this was a troll thread. i'd feel bad if people actually spent money thinking otherwise, but thankfully most places have pretty good return policies
What? This game has been great so far.

I'll be picking mine up today. I'm a huge MGS Acid/Advance Wars fan, and it'll be nice to have something with some meat on it for the 3DS.

Loving the shit out of this game. Easily the best 3DS launch game. Logged 10 hrs in it so far, only been playing the campaign, I'm up to chapter 3. My banshee is getting so very very overpowered. Save up for a couple of reactivates and she can blast through a room taking out 5-6 people with the knife in one turn. Love it.

Platy

padlock said:

I love you

Fixed1979

Had my first freeze in the game. I had to turn off the system in order to get out of it. Not too concerned about a single freeze but I'm curious if anyone else had anything happen to them...back to PW for a bit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fixed1979 said:
Had my first freeze in the game. I had to turn off the system in order to get out of it. Not too concerned about a single freeze but I'm curious if anyone else had anything happen to them...back to PW for a bit.
yup actually it happened during the very first mission

Mindlog

This is basically the system seller I wanted. I will continue to play on a 'borrowed' machine, but I'm pretty close to buying one for myself. I hope more games in this vein get fame in Spain?

Fixed1979

XiaNaphryz said:
Was it just a freeze, or an actual error message?

An actual freeze. Sound cuts out and all buttons become non-responsive (except for the power button). Like I said not a big deal, just disappointing that it happened at the end of a mission and not the start. Still loving the game.

Neuromancer said:
I'm hearing about a lot of freezes... Please don't tell me this is a normal occurrence, I just ordered from Amazon!

I wouldn't worry to much about it, first and only freeze for how ever many hours I've been playing. It's certainly not an epidemic and it hasn't made me want to stop playing.

Really hope we get a date for this game in Japan...

szaromir said:
That's too bad, the 'Start' button works wonders for AW/FE crap stories.

You should burn in hell. FE has some of the best localizations in the industry and if you can't recognize that then you shouldn't ever be allowed to comment on writing quality ever again.

Seda

BudokaiMR2 said:
You should burn in hell. FE has some of the best localizations in the industry and if you can't recognize that then you shouldn't ever be allowed to comment on writing quality ever again.

I agree with the bolded, but that's a bit harsh, man.

I forgot to ask if people see the 3d displaying some things worse than playing without it. What I mean is that the trees/characters become a bit blurred and a bit grainy when 3d is set which is a bit annoying. Is this usually an effect of 3d or is it more my perception of it?
I try not to think of it most of the time but when I do compare it, 2d is much smoother and less blurry.

In regards to playing the game for 10 hours I can safely say it is very enjoyable. However I find the missions to drag on for too long. Thats why skirmishes are more fun to do at times for a unique challenge. The campaign missions objectives aren't all that interesting unfortunately.

The benefit of the gba Fire Emblem games were that the maps were short and perfect for short game sessions. With this game I get bored almost due to long length of the maps. It doesn't help either that you are familiar with most of the mechanics and still not half way through the game.

Concerning the game freezing, hasn't happened to me yet!

mrklaw said:
read posts 160-165. thats about as detectable as internet sarcasm gets.
163 and 164 were pretty obvious to me, the others seem like they could go either way honestly, especially considering the fact that I don't "know" everyone around here.

I'm willing to bet that 161 and 162 are serious, even.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm up to the board with all of the snipers and you have to get to the leader in the ravine (should be vague enough for no spoiler tags)

Anyway, between this, SSFIV, and Pilotwings, this is my launch game of choice by a wide margin.

As for the 3D effects, those saying "it doesn't add anything to the gameplay" can right fuck off. The game LOOKS better in 3D, plain and simple. I've had an anti-3D guy say it as well.. The game simply looks better through and through in 3D. Could this have come out on DS as is? Yes. Would it be any worse a game? No. But Avatar (non-3D) is the same movie on DVD as it is on BD, but you want it on BD because it looks better! Same thing here. 3D on this game simply looks BETTER than the 2D version. It doesn't hurt framerate, doesn't hurt resolution. It only makes the game look better. win/win. Fortunately it's just the icing on an otherwise delicious strategy cake!

AniHawk

only beat first three campaign things so far:

-more fire emblem than advance wars
-stuff moves kinda slowly (still getting some tutorial stuff)
-kinda easy so far
-jesus christ get that story shit out of the way
-game looks good in 3d

i think i like the 3d here better than rayman. not sure why. it's not like either game was built around 3d. maybe part of it is that i don't have to fight the system to find a sweet spot. a 3d platformer using the slide pad pretty much guarantees you'll be moving the system some way unintentionally, where a strategy game using the d-pad is less likely to do that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, only game I've played so far where the 3D is better by far. It brings the level to life.

I can't wait for more SRPGs.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'm having way more fun with this than I am with my other launch games.

It does seem easy so far, through mission four. I should not be able to complete missions on elite so easily.

Top Bottom