• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

It goes both ways, yeah the PC gamers who think the PS4/X1 can't do anything right or bring nothing to the table are obviously wrong, but then you have the console gamers who think there's no difference between 30 and 60fps until their game has it, resolutions don't matter on TV's, PS4 is as strong as a high-end PC etc.

But resolution doesn't matter on a TV once you hit 1080p. That's the max resolution.

You set your own condition and restriction, which is in this case your tv and, probably, your sound system that goes with it. So considering this, your case will affect your preference. I certainly not ignoring the additional effects that the next gen version provided, and the same applies the effects that are maximisable on the PC version. So in the end, everything boils down to your condition and preference, and whether you want to double dip on a game like this or not. You enjoy the game on your 1920x1080p set up on your 50inch TV, and I enjoy the game on my 2560x1600p setup on my 30inch monitor and home theatre sound system. Thanks to the massive bump in resolution with everything set to max, tomb raider looks insane on my PC. I don't want to scale down so I don't need the definitive version as I am not missing anything. Other people in the same boat as me also don't need to worry about the definitive version. However, other people who are not in the same boat should definitely look at the definitive version.

The thing is, you seem to set that nothing matters more than resolution and I don't think that's true. Of course if resolution is the only thing that matters then PC will always win and consoles can never stack up because consoles will peak at 1080p since there's no reason for them to go above that resolution. PCs on the other hand has potentially infinite resolution. There's a lot more to it than resolution though. Resolution doesn't somehow make all the other factors of the Definitive Edition irrelevant.

Wonko_C

NOPE

Here's a single frame from a pan in POTC:

hdbbcpirates.jpg

Until a single frame in a game can accurately do that, there's no such thing as a "cinematic effect" in a game. Further, the resources to do per pixel motion blur to replicate that would better be spent just rendering more frames per second for smoother motion.

Ugh at that blur. 48 fps for movies can't become a standard soon enough. Fast action scenes and quick pans wouldn't have to be a confusing smear that doesn't let me see shit. The Hobbit was fantastic and it put me inside the movie. (and the 3D didn't give me a migraine thanks to the high framerate, bonus!)

For mah VitaBros:

- PQ is excellent and the game rendering at 60fps (yes I know the encode is 30) seems to translate well as far as controller response ala BF4. There's no constant judder in the video feed like in KZ Shadowfall

- Controls are mapped to the front of the Vita, NOT back:
Upper Right - Alt Fire
Lower Right - Zoom
Upper Left - BatVision
Lower Left - Swap Shoulders

- Once again, this game confirms that US will be getting the Vita 2000s at some point as that's the picture they show for the Control UI

- If you kinda wondered what Xbox folks are getting as far as framerate I guess :/

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
but then you have the console gamers who think there's no difference between 30 and 60fps until their game has it.

PC people are guilty of this, too. I've seen a lot of people bragging about how this game is in 4K or massively supersampled for them right now. Obviously those people are fine with low frame rate until they're bragging about how high their frame rate is in a less demanding game.

Ugh at that blur. 48 fps for movies can't become a standard soon enough. Fast action scenes and quick pans wouldn't have to be a confusing smear that doesn't let me see shit. The Hobbit was fantastic and it put me inside the movie. (and the 3D didn't give me a migraine thanks to the high framerate, bonus!)

I'm a fan of HFR movies, but if action is confusing then that's on the director, always.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really digging this game, feels more alive than the PC version did. The TressFX is actually improved in action, even though it looks less complex, it behaves more realistically.

Trojan X

Banned
But resolution doesn't matter on a TV once you hit 1080p. That's the max resolution.

The thing is, you seem to set that nothing matters more than resolution and I don't think that's true. Of course if resolution is the only thing that matters then PC will always win and consoles can never stack up because consoles will peak at 1080p since there's no reason for them to go above that resolution. PCs on the other hand has potentially infinite resolution. There's a lot more to it than resolution though. Resolution doesn't somehow make all the other factors of the Definitive Edition irrelevant.

I didn't say it does make the other factors irrelevant. Oh well, never mind.

You set your own condition and restriction, which is in this case your tv and, probably, your sound system that goes with it. So considering this, your case will affect your preference. I certainly not ignoring the additional effects that the next gen version provide, and the same instance I am not ignoring what can be applied to the effects that makes it maximisable on the PC version (e.g. tensellation and more). So in the end, everything boils down to your condition and preference, and whether you want to double dip on a game like this or not. You enjoy the game on your 1920x1080p set up on your lovely 50inch TV, and I enjoy the game on my 2560x1600p setup on my beautiful 30inch monitor and home theatre sound system. Thanks to the massive bump in resolution with everything set to max that I gain with my version, tomb raider looks insane on my PC. I don't want nor need to scale down so I don't need the definitive version as I am not missing anything. Other people in the same boat as me also don't need to worry about the definitive version, however, other people who are not in the same boat should definitely look at the definitive version. Simple as that.

The PS4 version is the superior version simple as that.

So any word on the gamma in this game? All the screens for the PS4 version look dark. That XB1 animated gif looks good, though. Does anyone find that the game looks too dark?

Tagyhag

Yep, but it's more about the 720p and 900p resolutions. (This was during the resolution gate)

PC people are guilty of this, too. I've seen a lot of people bragging about how this game is in 4K or massively supersampled for them right now. Obviously those people are fine with low frame rate until they're bragging about how high their frame rate is in a less demanding game.

Definitely, 4K gaming can do 60fps now but if people brag about that they're most likely doing 30 or don't have the capable machine at all, those dudes are hypocrites too.

Judging from the screenshots the definite edition is way darker. I like the brighter image of the pc version more - looks more natural. Also textures seem to be better in the pc version, but on the other side the definite version has moving fooliage and more particles.

BigTnaples

Judging from the screenshots the definite edition is way darker. I like the brighter image of the pc version more - looks more natural. Also textures seem to be better in the pc version, but on the other side the definite version has moving fooliage and more particles.

There are gamma/brightness settings in game, as well as any TV you are playing on. The darkness of screenshots is irrelevant.

what's this game like ? hyper linear corridors with little replay value or is it atleast relatively open with some areas ?

It seems somewhat open but they only things you'll find off the beaten track are lame area collectibles that do nothing and upgrades that make the game even more trivial. I'd say you can discover hidden tombs but the game flat out tells you there is a hidden tomb nearby. Yes, it actually says hidden.

MilkBeard

Yeah they definitely darkened it up a bit, which is debatable in terms of whether it's an improvement or not. You can still make out dark detail of course, but I'd rather the devs not preset the game to be Xboned and let me do that myself if I want it.

Besides that, though, it looks great. It's partly because of the new lighting system that it's like that. The lighting itself does look good.

As for the person posting above, it's not just in the screenshots, but the videos that Crystal Dynamics released themselves. Also in Kirk's article he mentioned that they boosted the contrast in the definitive edition.

Yeah they definitely darkened it up a bit, which is debatable in terms of whether it's an improvement or not. You can still make out dark detail of course, but I'd rather the devs not preset the game to be Xboned and let me do that myself if I want it.

Besides that, though, it looks great. It's partly because of the new lighting system that it's like that. The lighting itself does look good.

As for the person posting above, it's not just in the screenshots, but the videos that Crystal Dynamics released themselves. Also in Kirk's article he mentioned that they boosted the contrast in the definitive edition.

The XB1 version looks fine in that animated gif, though.

MilkBeard

The XB1 version looks fine in that animated gif, though.

Yeah and it's weird, the PC version in that comparison actually looks darker. But if you look at the trailer that crystal Dynamics released, it definitely has a dark feel to it and I'd say that's pretty much represents what the game looks like on a tv, unless your settings are way different.

Actually, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMeFeyTc7dE

To me, this looks pretty dark, in the spectrum of the way most games look, and it looks darker than footage I've seen of the original, unless the original verison also looks this dark. I'm not sure myself because I've never played the original version. But this is pretty accurate in terms of contrast in the definitive version. Keep in mind the missing detail because of the crappy vid compression, though.

EDIT:
Actually, here's a better example, and at first I thought it was because of IGN's crappy video capturing ability, but this sums up the differences. I can't confirm that the original console version looks like that but the PS4 version looks like this in terms of contrast. It seems the developer boosted the contrast and 'xbone'd' the image a bit to make it more edgy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NUX2rG_u8w

tbm24

Been playing the game for a good couple of hours now. New Lara looks fantastic. I'm having a blast replaying this game all over again. I beat TR on pc months ago but it was so long ago that I really can't compare what I'm seeing on the PS4 version to what I saw on my pc on ultra.

All in all is simply looks great and whatever differences there may be doesn't matter. I know some people find the price steep but if you haven't already tried the game and own a ps4 or X1 then you simply can't go wrong.

Off to platinum the game is go!

Yep, but it's more about the 720p and 900p resolutions. (This was during the resolution gate)

Definitely, 4K gaming can do 60fps now but if people brag about that they're most likely doing 30 or don't have the capable machine at all, those dudes are hypocrites too.

i have a 1800 euros pc and getting 60 fps in 1080p at ultra settings its no possible in some games,i dont want the know the cost of 4k gaming at 60 fps

mobius006

You set your own condition and restriction, which is in this case your tv and, probably, your sound system that goes with it. So considering this, your case will affect your preference. I certainly not ignoring the additional effects that the next gen version provide, and the same instance I am not ignoring what can be applied to the effects that makes it maximisable on the PC version (e.g. tensellation and more). So in the end, everything boils down to your condition and preference, and whether you want to double dip on a game like this or not. You enjoy the game on your 1920x1080p set up on your lovely 50inch TV, and I enjoy the game on my 2560x1600p setup on my beautiful 30inch monitor and home theatre sound system with all effects set to max. Thanks to the massive bump in resolution with everything set to max that I gained on my version, tomb raider looks insane on my PC. I don't want nor need to scale down so I don't need the definitive version as I am not missing anything, especially in consideration on the amount of money have saved purchasing the game. Other people in the same boat as me also don't need to worry about the definitive version, however, other people who are not in the same boat should definitely look at the definitive version. Simple as that.
But... your trees stand still 0_0

hlhbk

Wow I have the PC version and am super impressed with the PS4 versions performance!

Big surprise to me was no install at first launch. Does it not install like the rest of the PS4 library?

Do trees move in real life?

imnotsureifserious.gif

Yes. Trees do move in real life.

On another note, I'm excited to finally try this game out. I did originally have it preordered for PS3 last year but cancelled last minute. I am tempted to get this at full price (do have a gc that would cover a third of the cost) but there's so many games coming out this Spring and I'm not sure if I can get this at full price.I'll see how things go but I'm leaning towards waiting til it goes on sale.

tbm24

Wow I have the PC version and am super impressed with the PS4 versions performance!

Big surprise to me was no install at first launch. Does it not install like the rest of the PS4 library?
Mine did, you can start playing pretty quickly but it most certainly did install.

kudoboi

i have a 1800 euros pc and getting 60 fps in 1080p at ultra settings its no possible in some games,i dont want the know the cost of 4k gaming at 60 fps

someone ran battlefield 4 at ultra/60FPS/4K

his specs were
intel i7 4930k @ 4.6ghz (6 core /12 HT)
Nvidia Titan x 4 (Quad SLI) 327.23 driver
32gigs of ram
2 x 512 OCZ Vector SSD HD raid 0
Sharp pn-k321 (3840x2160)

adds up to over $8000 even without the PSU, motherboard etc

video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRT6j_SDZR4
i didn't know youtube even had a video quality option for 4K

BigTnaples

It does have an install, it is just uber quick.

And indeed, this is very impressive, looks and runs much better than my PC, even though my PC is much more powerful than my PS4.

Well done Crytstal Dynamics.

Now we just need The Last of Us: Definitive Edition, and GTA V: Definitive Edition to be made with similar treatment!

fernoca

Seems most PS4 games. Separate a required amount (16GB in this case) and then proceeds to install as you play.

Got the game too!
Packaging was cool. Game looks amazing. First time playing it.

viveks86

Gameinformer has reviewed it as well: 9.25/10

Lara's Never Looked Better
The original version was gorgeous; this version is one of the best-looking console games I've ever seen
it's undeniably the best version of Tomb Raider yet - and the best game currently available for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. If you haven't played it, I don't know what you're waiting for.

The Edge
The PS4 version appears to have a better framerate at times. However, Tomb Raider looks good on both consoles and the discrepancy didn't affect my enjoyment of either version.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/tomb_raider_definitive_edition/b/playstation4/archive/2014/01/24/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-review-game-informer.aspx

MilkBeard

Like person above said, it installs just like every game. For me, it took about 10-15 seconds for the bar to fill, then I could play and then completely forgot about the installation. PS4 is great in this sense, you only think about it for like 10 seconds and then it's good to go forever.

And yeah, PS4 performance is great, it feels properly next gen, at least comparing it to what we've gotten so far on the next gen systems.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The PS4 version appears to have a better framerate at times. However, Tomb Raider looks good on both consoles and the discrepancy didn't affect my enjoyment of either version.

Do people honestly believe reviewers that say they've played both version for review purposes? Time is tight playing just one to review, let alone two.

Do people honestly believe reviewers that say they've played both version for review purposes? Time is tight playing just one to review, let alone two.

not really, I know of some reviews were the person barely played 10% of the game and then just reviewed what they played and moved on to the next review and did that again

viveks86

Now we just need The Last of Us: Banderas Edition, and GTA V: Definitive Edition to be made with similar treatment!

Fixed. And yes, will buy em both. I actually held off on GTA V purchase for the inevitable next gen port. Don't disappoint me, rockstar!

Is this the first review that's up?

Anyway, nice. Looking forward to playing it.

what's this game like ? hyper linear corridors with little replay value or is it atleast relatively open with some areas ?

For me it was a fantastic combination of Uncharted and Arkham Asylum and Far Cry 3 (for the island setting).

I loved this game, top to bottom, and it crept up on me out of nowhere to become my favourite game of 2013 until The Last of Us was released. Tomb Raider gets my #3 spot.

Think of Uncharted, only with more varied game play and a far more open environment to traverse and explore. Combat is similar, but a bit more dynamic due to the weapons (and their upgrades) that are at your disposal. The bow is a fantastic weapon, and getting kills with it has an extremely satisfying feel.

The island world opens up one piece at a time as your progress through the story or get required equipment upgrades to allow you to access previously inaccessible areas (hence, the Arkham Asylum comparison). The terrain is varied and gorgeous. Each environment you come across has it's own unique characteristics and fascinations.

Each come with their own tomb that you can explore, that some criticize for not being deep or challenging, and while I agree with these criticisms I do feel that the tombs offer up a very "real-world" feel. Any tombs an archaeologist might discover in the real world probably won't come across a multi-tiered, ultra-complex dungeon type of tomb with killer, insanely difficult puzzles to solve. I get that this is a video game, but they go a long way to making Yamatai feel like a real place with an interesting and storied history.

There are plenty of rewards to discover, and for someone like me who usually hates collecting every single little thing...I was astonished to find myself wanting to go back to 100% the island. When you find something, you get a very tactile sense of discovery and you get to really inspect the artifact or object with Lara kicking in her knowledge or guesswork on the origin of the item. Very cool, nuanced stuff.

There are scripted, cinematic sequences...but they're nothing that hasn't been done before (and in some cases better) by other games like Uncharted...but they're also not a boring slog.

The game also has some very atmospheric and intense moments. It does an amazing job of setting the tone and the pace for Lara's adventure.

I'm of the opinion that the game is great, and I can't understand the hate that it gets.

Loakum

Banned
They really done a nice job with this "definitive edition". I'm tempted to cancel my pre order of Lightning Returns, and pick this up instead tomorrow.

Top Bottom