• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

DieH@rd

Banned
For mah VitaBros:

- PQ is excellent and the game rendering at 60fps (yes I know the encode is 30) seems to translate well as far as controller response ala BF4. There's no constant judder in the video feed like in KZ Shadowfall

- Controls are mapped to the front of the Vita, NOT back:
Upper Right - Alt Fire
Lower Right - Zoom
Upper Left - BatVision
Lower Left - Swap Shoulders

- Once again, this game confirms that US will be getting the Vita 2000s at some point as that's the picture they show for the Control UI

- If you kinda wondered what Xbox folks are getting as far as framerate I guess :/

This is very good to hear for Vita owners. Eidos customized their control scheme well. IMO, more devs should move all buttons away from backtouch.

I tend to agree about the pricing...but at this point, I love the game too much not to get it. Also, I love the idea of playing this with the DualShock 4.

Spazznid

That's true. But why do you say that Planetside 2 is the best motion blue you've found? Something specific to their game engine optimizations for this task? Yet do you think they've sacrificed the requirement (for reaction times) to maintain true 60+ fps? I'm actually glad you brought this up. I wouldn't say that PS 2 is the most cinematic game. But it is a FPS that chose to add motion blu in order to active this look and feel. I've always thought Gear of War did a really good job of this too. Although, that was a 3rd person shooter.

I've always thought it was the best because it's something you notice, but not too much, and at 60 fps it doesn't feel as though it affects response times for me. I also provided the screenshots to show that it's a very high quality blur that almost effectively emulates cinema. The visual difference between Cinema and games isn't framerate, it's actually presentation. If you could make a game that accurately anti aliased with blur like a movie, and provide the smoothness of a movie, either through frames or blur, or whatever, then the only thing that would matter is if it responded to input fast enough. But for clarity and competitive play, framerate is king. This is why pro players always set games to low settings and play on really fast monitors with 1-200 hz and use very high DPI mouses.

HeelPower

For me it was a fantastic combination of Uncharted and Arkham Asylum and Far Cry 3 (for the island setting).

I loved this game, top to bottom, and it crept up on me out of nowhere to become my favourite game of 2013 until The Last of Us was released. Tomb Raider gets my #3 spot.

Think of Uncharted, only with more varied game play and a far more open environment to traverse and explore. Combat is similar, but a bit more dynamic due to the weapons (and their upgrades) that are at your disposal. The bow is a fantastic weapon, and getting kills with it has an extremely satisfying feel.

The island world opens up one piece at a time as your progress through the story or get required equipment upgrades to allow you to access previously inaccessible areas (hence, the Arkham Asylum comparison). The terrain is varied and gorgeous. Each environment you come across has it's own unique characteristics and fascinations.

Each come with their own tomb that you can explore, that some criticize for not being deep or challenging, and while I agree with these criticisms I do feel that the tombs offer up a very "real-world" feel. Any tombs an archaeologist might discover in the real world probably won't come across a multi-tiered, ultra-complex dungeon type of tomb with killer, insanely difficult puzzles to solve. I get that this is a video game, but they go a long way to making Yamatai feel like a real place with an interesting and storied history.

There are plenty of rewards to discover, and for someone like me who usually hates collecting every single little thing...I was astonished to find myself wanting to go back to 100% the island. When you find something, you get a very tactile sense of discovery and you get to really inspect the artifact or object with Lara kicking in her knowledge or guesswork on the origin of the item. Very cool, nuanced stuff.

There are scripted, cinematic sequences...but they're nothing that hasn't been done before (and in some cases better) by other games like Uncharted...but they're also not a boring slog.

The game also has some very atmospheric and intense moments. It does an amazing job of setting the tone and the pace for Lara's adventure.

I'm of the opinion that the game is great, and I can't understand the hate that it gets.

A more open uncharted seems like an excellent idea.The game seems right up my alley.

I love naughty dog games but they are usually a bit too restrictive when it comes to replay.

I'll consider getting it now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They really done a nice job with this "definitive edition". I'm tempted to cancel my pre order of Lightning Returns, and pick this up instead tomorrow.

You know, that brings up a random thought. I'm surprised there isn't a Lightning costume in this game or a Lara Croft costume in FF13-3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
2560x1600p setup on my beautiful 30inch monitor and home theatre sound system with all effects set to max. Thanks to the massive bump in resolution with everything set to max that I gained on my version, tomb raider looks insane on my PC
Differing standards and all that. I do dislike people trumpeting these higher resolutions as somehow superior when the display in question is an LCD. That's like claiming your camera is superior based on megapixels alone.

Yes, LCD detracts that much from the experience for me. I'd rather use an old XBR960 CRT for gaming over that monitor. Resolution has only become a real issue due to being stuck with fixed pixel displays. LCDs are particularly rubbish at handling anything under native resolution.

Trojan X

Banned
Differing standards and all that. I do dislike people trumpeting these higher resolutions as somehow superior when the display in question is an LCD. That's like claiming your camera is superior based on megapixels alone.

Yes, LCD detracts that much from the experience for me. I'd rather use an old XBR960 CRT for gaming over that monitor. Resolution has only become a real issue due to being stuck with fixed pixel displays. LCDs are particularly rubbish at handling anything under native resolution.

I don't mean to compare dicks but my monitor is WQHD IPS. Do you still place it under your XBR960?

dark10x

I don't mean to compare dicks but my monitor is WQHD IPS. Do you still place it under your XBR960?
I don't have an XBR960 here in Europe, unfortunately.

I game on a Kuro Elite second gen.

I also have a WQHD IPS monitor (1440p, though) which I use for work. I dislike using it for most games as it suffers from typical LCD flaws. I *REALLY* dislike LCD for games.

someone ran battlefield 4 at ultra/60FPS/4K

his specs were
intel i7 4930k @ 4.6ghz (6 core /12 HT)
Nvidia Titan x 4 (Quad SLI) 327.23 driver
32gigs of ram
2 x 512 OCZ Vector SSD HD raid 0
Sharp pn-k321 (3840x2160)

adds up to over $8000 even without the PSU, motherboard etc

video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRT6j_SDZR4
i didn't know youtube even had a video quality option for 4K

yes battlefield runs smooth in my rig..but other games man...

Ty4on

This is very good to hear for Vita owners. Eidos customized their control scheme well. IMO, more devs should move all buttons away from backtouch.
Just give us choice dammit! I don't want to smear my screen and see rainbows everywhere.
someone ran battlefield 4 at ultra/60FPS/4K

his specs were
intel i7 4930k @ 4.6ghz (6 core /12 HT)
Nvidia Titan x 4 (Quad SLI) 327.23 driver
32gigs of ram
2 x 512 OCZ Vector SSD HD raid 0
Sharp pn-k321 (3840x2160)

adds up to over $8000 even without the PSU, motherboard etc

video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRT6j_SDZR4
i didn't know youtube even had a video quality option for 4K
The GPUs are the only thing required for that res so the cost is more like 4k for everything.

fantastic game (again and beautiful)

mildly off topic: anyone know what the update is for (just popped up)

streaming game now on twitch just look 'alcoholikaust' up if anyone wants to see me die a bunch (playing on hard)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
With slow wind like that nope judge windspeed by the fog.
But it does adds a lot of life to next gen versions i have to say.

Those are some seriously skinny trees, though.

Those are some seriously skinny trees, though.

True, i didn't really notice how lara's hair moved shitty compression.
You can see her ponytail blown to the right before the tree goes.
So wind speed could be higher then the fog movement speed shows.

But still it gives more live to the next gen consoles version then the static pc version.

Bruisegamer said:
For whatever stupid reasons the developers decided to use that light on the DS4 in some really stupid ways. Anytime you have a torch in your hand that light is flickering red and yellow. Back and forth, back and forth. I'm playing the game in a dark room and this fucking light is flickering in my lap the whole fucking time. I go into the options thinking "they had to give you the option to turn this off". NOPE! Even worse I read that anytime you fire a gun the light also flickers. I just never got to that point last night, but I've read it in previews. :|

This fucking madness needs to end. Sony made a stupid mistake putting that light on the controller to begin with. The last thing that should be happening is the highlighting of this stupid mistake by using it in incredibly stupid ways like this. NO ONE WANTS THIS. Please make it stop.
Imagine the taught process during the DS4 design. "Well Nintendo controllers have speakers in them, seems like a cool feature. So let's include that and go the one more level by adding light to the sound feedback. This will be brilliant."

Then proceed to not playtest the idea XD

Really so far it has been more complain than anything else for the light bar, the speaker on the other hand has received positive impressions mostly.
It drives me mad that the banality of needless resolution/graphics discussion has infested almost all console gaming threads these days. Sometime soon we will start talking driver updates. :/
These days? Pretty much any game disscussion has been banal since the existed. What's new here is that people from certain side get's offended when obvious differences are pointed out to them.

dark10x

Imagine the taught process during the DS4 design. "Well Nintendo controllers have speakers in them, seems like a cool feature. So let's include that and go the one more level by adding light to the sound feedback. This will be brilliant."

Then proceed to not playtest the idea XD

Really so far it has been more complain than anything else for the light bar, the speaker on the other hand has received positive impressions mostly.
Well, to be fair, the light was designed to allow the camera to understand the position of the controller.

Obviously, with the camera being optional, this feature isn't going to be used much but it's basically transplanting the Move into a standard controller (gyros + light)

the colored lights don't bother me too much, at least they are using the different colors. of course the option to disable the light would always be welcome as my wife probably thinks something is on fire in the living room with the flashing at 5 in the morning

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The speaker was always a good idea. It's just that Nintendo's sounded terrible.

QaaQer

I'm of the opinion that the game is great, and I can't understand the hate that it gets.

It is because of the Tomb Raider name. The gameplay is substantially different, hence pissed off fans. Same thing happened with Hitman, although that was actually a bad game unlike TR.

TAJ

It is because of the Tomb Raider name. The gameplay is substantially different, hence pissed off fans. Same thing happened with Hitman, although that was actually a bad game unlike TR.

Eh... I thought Hitman Absolution was sorta ok after I stopped trying to play it as a Hitman game and started playing it as a shoot-em-up.
Legend was the first game in the TR series that I thought was good and a lot of people hated that so I'm used to dismissing TR fans' opinions.

Well, to be fair, the light was designed to allow the camera to understand the position of the controller.

Obviously, with the camera being optional, this feature isn't going to be used much but it's basically transplanting the Move into a standard controller (gyros + light)
I know that, but people don't chime in saying how the positional tracking of the controller is been used in clever or inventive ways. People talk about the light somewhat clashing with the enjoyment of a game.
The speaker was always a good idea. It's just that Nintendo's sounded terrible.
On the Wii, yes. But sound is fine on the U Gamepad. In the Wii's case my understanding is that it had to do more with compression than speaker quality. In the end some games sounded terrible but others did made an acceptable use of it like Silent Hill for example.

Also this remastering getting over 9's in those 2 reviews is a bit much.

TAJ

I meant on the Wii.
I don't think I've heard anything from it on Wii U. I haven't spent much time with that console.

TAJ

bump

Anyone ?

The guy on the stream I watched made it sound like you can't, but he couldn't figure out how to bring up the map, so I don't know for sure.

Montresor

bump

Anyone ?

No manual saves. All auto saves.

No chapter select.

If you're worried about missable achievements or trophies, unfortunately there is a bullshit achievement that would require you to practically spoil the story for yourself and look up a guide to make sure you don't miss it (Chatterbox).

Man I loved this game on 360 so much. I used to be wary of expressing my joy for the game last March on this forum because the bitter Tomb Raider fans hated everything about this game. But everyone on GAF seems to be praising the game now.

I can shamelessly say I love cinematic set pieces, Michael Bay explosion fests, QTEs, on-rails action sequences, and visually impressive but technically simple platforming. Tomb Raider has all that in spades. I loved exploring the island - it felt so much like an alternate take on the Lost (tv show) universe.

The PS4 version appears to have a better framerate at times. However, Tomb Raider looks good on both consoles and the discrepancy didn't affect my enjoyment of either version.

What times are those? The times you are playing the game?
Or have I missed the update when they're the same frame rate except at certain times?

Found a store with the PS4 version and it seems like a really good port. I played the PC version the first time around, but it had annoying issues on my graphics card and I'm desperate for any PS4 usage in this post-release drought.

To be fair, I was pretty cool on the game overall, but I'm having a decent time playing it again so far. Thank god the costumes came with it so I can use the bomber jacket that shoulda been the default design in the first place.

Top Bottom