• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

MilkBeard

I'm really starting to love this game, and I didn't think I would.

I wouldn't exactly call it 'linear,' although it really is. It's basically guided exploration, you explore as you go but it's not open.

The weather effects, atmosphere and sound design are insane. So good. I can see how CD spent a lot of money making this game.

And I love the new Lara look. It works in game. I've got her in the archer outfit and she's hot.

For those who have the option to buy the PS4/XB1 versions and don't have a capable PC, I'd say it's worth $60 for a first time play.

I've been playing it all night. I'm addicted.

T.O.P

Banned
Might grab this for the X1 next week, i don't like the new face at all, but the game always intrigued me and my pc is starting to get old unfortunately

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bring on more last gen ports. I have oodles of money and many ps4s and I want to play lots of console exclusives from last gen At 1080p 60 fps.

The last of us ps4 NOW

This version of the game looks incredible and benefits mightily from 60 fps

Nearly finished the campaign in one go yesterday. The new Lara model's skin is very impressive, HOWEVER... the PC version still exhibits higher resolution textures overall (both in environment and characters), and tessellation that rounds out some of her more rigid features (shoulders, elbows, etc) - I can barely tell it's missing from the environment, though.
Not a fan of the new face anyway, considering it looks absolutely nothing like Camilla, while the original face retained some resemblance.

MCD

Bring on more last gen ports. I have oodles of money and many ps4s and I want to play lots of console exclusives from last gen At 1080p 60 fps.

The last of us ps4 NOW

I would be more interested if they released older games first (I just beat Tomb Raider on 360!) or even better, a collection.

Like Gears Collection or Uncharted.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They should rerelease the whole damn library and let us pick. I know they have versions of these games running on pc development hardware. Port it over yo

The last of us ps4 NOW

GTAV, TLoU I am sold

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
GTAV, TLoU I am sold
God I hope so. As sad as it is to desperately want a next gen port, these games felt like they were struggling to run on last gen, could not take either seriously because of it.'

Edit: Screenshots from the game. Did not realize how bad the ps4 screenshot feature compresses it D: , and tress fx is A LIE

SodzXdH.jpg

S3JoMVr.jpg

JgDfqWM.jpg

WgIzs3y.jpg

ny0TAD7.jpg

YtbUz8t.jpg

Also, the ps4 game got an update this morning. Hopefully they fixed that camera angle issue I had at the beginning of the game.

kubus

One hour into the game and so far the Pause menu has popped up 8 times while me and my boyfriend were just talking (PS4 version).

I think the actual voice command is "Pause" but the pause menu will pop up by just saying the letter "M" and random words. Anyone else has this? It's super annoying. Will turn off voice commands because of this :/

Btw the game looks stunning. I think it's prettier than when I played it on pc on Ultra.

Edit: changed wording a bit

They should rerelease the whole damn library and let us pick. I know they have versions of these games running on pc development hardware. Port it over yo
So, instead of giving the players backwards compability the developers can sell the same game twice?
I can't say I agree with this.

Curufinwe

So, instead of giving the players backwards compability the developers can sell the same game twice?
I can't say I agree with this.

BC would have meant including the 360/PS3 hardware in the new consoles making each one larger and more expensive. It was never going to happen.

Getting 1080p 60 fps versions of PS3/360 games you can buy if you want is better.

I've worryingly been getting the "ce-34878-0" bug a lot with this new version of Tomb Raider on PS4, not good... My save hasn't yet corrupted thankfully but it's quite disheartening when it happens, anyone else been getting this often on PS4? This is the only game for me that it's happened frequently on.

I've worryingly been getting the "ce-34878-0" bug a lot with this new version of Tomb Raider on PS4, not good... My save hasn't yet corrupted thankfully but it's quite disheartening when it happens, anyone else been getting this often on PS4? This is the only game for me that it's happened frequently on.

A patch just arrived for the game on PS4. It just updated when I booted up my console. The patch notes mention stability and save corruption improvements.

jaaz

Loving all of the posts comparing the PC version with the PS4 version. Honestly did not believe that they would be anywhere near comparable at the start of this generation. ACIV at 1080p on my 70" Vizio screen gave me some hope, and this game reinforces that. It's going to be a tough choice for me on which version to buy in the future (my gaming PC's screen is 28" vs. 70" and has no surround sound system vs. my TV's full Sonos surround sound system...)

MilkBeard

The last of us ps4 NOW

It's almost a shame that some of these late gen games will not be able to get to breathe like Tomb Raider has. Seeing this version makes me feel like 'next gen' should have happened a long time ago.

I guess at least some games will get PC ports that will do them justice (like the rumored GTAV port).

It's funny because I was cursing this whole thing, about them selling Tomb Raider 'DE' at $60 but I decided to get it, and I'm eating my words. It's just a shame we couldn't have gotten here sooner.

God I hope so. As sad as it is to desperately want a next gen port, these games felt like they were struggling to run on last gen, could not take either seriously because of it.'

Edit: Screenshots from the game. Did not realize how bad the ps4 screenshot feature compresses it D: , and tress fx is A LIE

Also, the ps4 game got an update this morning. Hopefully they fixed that camera angle issue I had at the beginning of the game.

Send a message to a friend with the screenshots attached then download them using the mobile app. You get them at the best quality that way.

One hour into the game and so far the Pause menu has popped up 8 times while me and my boyfriend were just chatting (PS4 version).

I think the actual voice command is "Pause" but the pause menu will pop up by just saying the letter "M" and random words. Anyone else has this? It's super annoying. Will turn off voice commands because of this :/

Btw the game looks stunning. I think it's prettier than when I played it on pc on Ultra.

Voice chat things within the games themselves now?

Damn.

pixlexic

Banned
Why does TressFX look like it got a huge downgrade? Does 2.0 mean less strands of hair?

it looks like there is less and it uses lower resolution for the shader as well ( the strands are much more aliased) .

in some effects like fire you can also see the lower resolution shader effects compared to the pc version.

RooMHM

So much maney wasted... And human resources. If you pay for rehashes why would publishers go through the trouble of financing new games, let alone new IPs.

LowerLevel

Now we just need The Last of Us: Definitive Edition, State Of Decay: Definitive Edition, and GTA V: Definitive Edition to be made with similar treatment! Throw a Lost Odyssey and Valkyria Chronicles: Definitive Editions while you're at it!

Fixed again, and yeah, these all should have been planned imo...

ironcreed

Banned
Loving the impressions and reviews. A definite pick up when I hop over to next-gen. Hell, it is pretty enough on last-gen systems, so this will be a treat.

PS4, Play Go download and play system is pretty damn fast with this game. It immediately starts to install the game on your HDD once you insert the disc. In about 5 minutes (guesstimate) the whole 17Gb's is on your HDD.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cannot foresee any scenario where GTAV releases on PC and doesn't release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 around the same time. Though knowing Rockstar they may drag it out for awhile to prevent cannibalising on last generation sales.

I cannot foresee any scenario where GTAV releases on PC and doesn't release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 around the same time. Though knowing Rockstar they may drag it out for awhile to prevent cannibalising on last generation sales.

I would be surprised if all 3 versions didn't come out on the same day.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

The last of us ps4 NOW

I know I'm going to pick up a lot of flack for this, but I don't know if if want TLOU at 60fps. Part of that game's visual impact was that crazy ass motion blur which was somehow grungy and grainy and made everything look more apocalyptic. I think the game might lose that nightmarish dreamlike quality if it was perfectly smooth. It's rare that I feel this way about any game, But Ico is another one that I know I actually preferred 30fps on the emulator, for similar reasons. Now of course, TLOU dipped way below 30 a lot of the time and that definitely sucked.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
They optimized the code so that preformance impact is much smaller.
http://cdn.overclock.net/3/37/378eb91b_Tress_FX_2.png

And yes they are calling it 2.0 because how they can implement it also on foliage and other objects.

So are they using TressFX for the added foliage in TR?

I know I'm going to pick up a lot of flack for this, but I don't know if if want TLOU at 60fps. Part of that game's visual impact was that crazy ass motion blur which was somehow grungy and grainy and made everything look more apocalyptic. I think the game might lose that nightmarish dreamlike quality if it was perfectly smooth. It's rare that I feel this way about any game, But Ico is another one that I know I actually preferred 30fps on the emulator, for similar reasons. Now of course, TLOU dipped way below 30 a lot of the time and that definitely sucked.
I think 60 fps would give TLOU's melee combat impact a nice pop. Motion blur that's well implemented can look terrific at 60 fps as well. They just need to increase the number of frames the blur is sampled from.

spookyfish

So much maney wasted... And human resources. If you pay for rehashes why would publishers go through the trouble of financing new games, let alone new IPs.

Maybe publishers could use the rehashes to a) help finance their ridiculously expensive games and b) to fill the gaps between new releases. I would be down for that.

This can't have cost that much to do, as I was under the impression Squeenix did it somewhat quickly. Or maybe, as someone said, having the PC groundwork and assets help -- which in that case wouldn't make it an easy transition for first-party title conversions.

Top Bottom