• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Chobel

...but you are wrong. So far it seems x1 is above 30 for most of the game then drops in 30s in big scenes
its no different then you stating the ps4 is 60. Its only 60 when nothing is going on, it drops to 50s and 40s in bed g scenes

but go ahead and claim double fps but it is a fact it is not

Where the hell are you getting those stats from?

tbm24

Get Leadbetter on the line then and let him know.

Sure, you can ask him to provide the charts so that everyone can end the argument. Until those charts are available people here have been taking great liberty in throwing around ranges and when the game hits those numbers without even playing it.

Toa TAK

Banned
I tend to rotate between those two, yeah. I only discovered the Mountaineer outfit though with this edition of the game.

I'll admit, though, the Mountaineer outfit looks rad. I'm going to have to try that the next time I play this game.

I sold my 360 copy long time ago to save up for the One. Got the money, never got the One, though. ;_;

Synless

What kinda of shit logic is this? The PS4 is 60 most game and drops.into the 50's occasionally during chaotic scenes. The Xbone goes up to 45 in.empty scenes. How the fuck that the same?
I was going to come and comment on this, but you took care of it for me. That posters logic makes no sense. How does one versions worst performance that matches another's best performance mean they are the close to the same?

I tend to rotate between those two, yeah. I only discovered the Mountaineer outfit though with this edition of the game.

Aviatrix is my go-to outfit, but I also occasionally mess around with Sureshot. Aviatrix fixes my big problem with my first run-through: Why didn't she just steal warmer clothes?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I was going to come and comment on this, but you took care of it for me. That posters logic makes no sense. How does one versions worst performance that matches another's best performance mean they are the close to the same?

It drives you crackers, doesn't it. The one thing nobody has mentioned yet (it seems to have gone missing) is the fact BOTH versions have an 'unlocked' framerate. It could actually drop below 30fps on the X1! Shudder ...

I mean, if their going to argue that the PS4 goes down to 45fps because of the unlocked framerate, you have to also consider it possibly goes down to 15fps in the same heavy conditions on the X1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We have no concrete numbers on the framerate, only what has been said by PR, reviewers, and my leak. Performance is yet to be measured, and most reports floating around online seem to be about the PlayStation 4 build.

Based on what I was told, I expect the frame difference to be on average ~20fps, give or take a few frames.

EDIT: I will say, the witch hunt against reviewers who may not mark down the Xbox One build for performing worse brings me back to the last generation when the Wii was getting the odd port here and there. It's not something I really agree with.

LowerLevel

So what about the review on USGAMER that mentions the XB1 version hovering around 30fps most of the time, while reaching about 45fps in the most stationary scenes? And the PS4 version hovering around 60fps most of the time while dipping to ~50fps(maybe 45fps) during very heavy moments?

OK, I'm not one of the peeps that is going to say that the Xb1 version is somehow going to be completely on par with the Ps4. I DO think it is going to be impressive however. But your statement saying the review on USGamer (a website I actually know nothing of, honestly)...

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-ps4-review-challenging-the-pc

is stating the Xb1 version "hovering" around 30 frames? From what I just read, it doesn't even seem the reviewer even played the Xb1 version. He put it side by side with the PC version it seems, halfway written down the article.

Look, like I said, I KNOW that the Ps4 version is superior. Period. But, please stop going out of your way to make the inferior version seem THAT much inferior. In truth, it very well may be as bad as a lot of peeps are saying, or even worse. But at least use a source that states what you say.

Sure, you can ask him to provide the charts so that everyone can end the argument. Until those charts are available people here have been taking great liberty in throwing around ranges and when the game hits those numbers without even playing it.

If it ends up making you eat crow then sure.

ramuh

We have no concrete numbers on the framerate, only what has been said by PR, reviewers, and my leak. Performance is yet to be measured, and most reports floating around online seem to be about the PlayStation 4 build.

Based on what I was told, I expect the frame difference to be on average ~20fps, give or take a few frames.

EDIT: I will say, the witch hunt against reviewers who may not mark down the Xbox One build for performing worse brings me back to the last generation when the Wii was getting the odd port here and there. It's not something I really agree with.

Eh, true there. At this point, I feel until a more detailed analysis is in order. But I can speak about my overal impressions so far tonight. Graphics have gotten better, cleaner. The 60ish frames are butter smooth in action, like it's really really good. In the cinematic parts it's a little jarring but I have gotten used to them.

tbm24

If it ends up making you eat crow then sure.

What crow is there to eat? Have I at any point stated any sort of numbers? Or claim either version is equal to the other? I'm only pointing out that throughout this very thread, which I've been following given I bought the game and wanted to talk about this version, I have seen at least 5 different ranges of framerate for either version and the conditions in which they appear. The story keeps changing every page. One page is 30 and 60, another page is sub 40 to PS4's sub 60.

It's ridiculous. Let an actual analysis come out then go nuts.

the developer said it held at 60fps most of the time on the PS4 but 'occasionally' dipped below that when the scenes get more complex. He can't be any clearer than that.

I can't understand that some people don't get that this description describea almost all 60fps games on consoles. You can barely count on one hand 60fps games on consoles that don't dip into the 50's.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can't understand that some people don't get that this description describea almost all 60fps games on consoles. You can barely count on one hand 60fps games on consoles that don't dip into the 50's.

The only reason I actually started using all these silly variable numbers is to question the logic behind them. I just think of it as around 60fps or around 30fps. How much both versions actually fluctuate is something we'll have to wait for sites like DF to sort out.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I thought it was pretty clear..

You are using that same nice logic I did for my Excel chart. I created my awesome '45 average for both' chart to see how many websites it would spread into. So far only three that I can find. They all do agree that it's bullshit in the end, so people aren't that stupid after all.

oSoLucky

It's generally not something that I agree with either, but at the same time, if there are inconsistencies with the same reviewer/publication on that issue, or any other, then don't readers have the right to voice their displeasure? I don't think many would have cared if it wasn't for the Polygon CoD review disparity. I do understand that reviews are done by an individual who may have a different opinion than his or her peers, and there is no objective right or wrong on the topic, but sometimes small pieces start to add up to a bigger picture, and that's the problem that some people are having, and the reason for the witch hunt.

Overall, the subject has had way too much energy and time wasted on it, and a lot of people should learn to get on with their lives and just not trust whatever reviewer or publication that they have a problem with. Review scores don't personally benefit or hurt many of us, and the ones that are affected are usually the most diplomatic.

Chobel

According to the latest tweet by famousmortimer, xbone GPU reservation will go from 10% down to 2% soon.
How the fuck did MS manage to do that?

What could that mean for tomb raider framerate in xbone?

Derpcrawler

According to the latest tweet by famousmortimer, xbone GPU reservation will go from 10% down to 2% soon.

I think it won't have any effect on already released games, or games to be released soon (like next month or something).

Tbh, XB1 is at best 45fps while PS4 at worst 45fps so I'd say it's about even.

Can you at least upload a comparison so we can see it? I don't have an Xbox One and you obviously have the game on both systems to make these claims. Can you show us an example? It would only take a few minutes of gameplay from each. I cannot wait to check it out.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can you at least upload a comparison so we can see it? I don't have an Xbox One and you obviously have the game on both systems to make these claims. Can you show us an example? It would only take a few minutes of gameplay from each. I cannot wait to check it out.

He was joking. He got me too.

El_Chino

That's good news for Xbox one games.

Any word on further decreasing the amount of RAM the X1's OS takes up?

LowerLevel

Serious question, as I am an idiot when it comes to these things mostly, but how would the decrease affect current usage of the Kinect and/or apps that the already imposed 10% uses? I am wondering because I can imagine quite a few peeps being upset, at least for a little while, if say the Snap function is inhibited in any way. I did a quick search and, while not entirely informative, it seems like the 10% is tied to functions like Snap and such. Thanks in advance and sorry for the slight derail.

As I understand it the GPU reservation is for Snap features, so I'd be very surprised of such a drop so soon unless they are going to change the way snap features work, or how the game works when an app is snapped.

Well, it's not as if the snap feature used up 10%, MS was obviously future-proofing stuff.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Serious question, as I am an idiot when it comes to these things mostly, but how would the decrease affect current usage of the Kinect and/or apps that the already imposed 10% uses? I am wondering because I can imagine quite a few peeps being upset, at least for a little while, if say the Snap function is inhibited in any way. I did a quick search and, while not entirely informative, it seems like the 10% is tied to functions like Snap and such. Thanks in advance and sorry for the slight derail.

Optimization happens all the time with consoles. But to decrease something that drastically, in such a short amount of time? I have no idea what they could have done to achieve something like that. If there's zero difference on the UI side in terms of "downgrading" snap or something, I'll be seriously impressed.

tbm24

So I just got to the Radio Tower on the PS4 version. TR is such a great game, this section in particular is so well done. This scene also really highlights how great the new Lara model actually is. Especially her eyes. I can't wait for TR2. I can't fathom it looking any better but somehow I bet it will.

Derpcrawler

When will DF release their tech analysis? I wasn't excited so much about DF article than ever before. I really got hype for game again, even though I promised to myself to not buy it until it's $30. But if it's actually staying 60FPS most of the time with IQ close or same as on PC, I might decide to grab it now.

mobius006

When will DF release their tech analysis? I wasn't excited so much about DF article than ever before. I really got hype for game again, even though I promised to myself to not buy it until it's $30. But if it's actually staying 60FPS most of the time with IQ close or same as on PC, I might decide to grab it now.
Hard to wait. Stay strong!

39.99 will come soon!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Back to impressions of the game...

Audio: Comparing it to the PS3 version, the PS4 version is quieter in some channels (7.1). I have my PS4 set to PCM, and it is running through the same receiver as my PS3. I can't quite figure it out, but I get the sense the sounds of thunder are not as clean. In addition, the voices may be quieter and get a smidge out of sync on PS4 during the cutscenes.

None of this is a deal breaker, but I do think the PS3 version sounds better, if just slightly. Anyone else notice this?

He was joking. He got me too.

Damn, between these 2 Tomb Raider Threads, my sarcasm joke meter has been petered out. It is dead. I just cannot tell anymore with some of the stuff people are saying.

lol, I am just going to have to continue to reply to people I know and trust from my years on NeoGaf, cause I don't even know what is the truth, what is a joke, and what is......

Anyways, I am finally going to play the game now. I got it earlier, but was playing Skylanders with my daughter. We found StinkBomb and she was really excited to play with him. I bought Tomb Raider on PS4, I cannot wait to check out the game. I have never played it at all

LowerLevel

Optimization happens all the time with consoles. But to decrease something that drastically, in such a short amount of time? I have no idea what they could have done to achieve something like that. If there's zero difference on the UI side in terms of "downgrading" snap or something, I'll be seriously impressed.

Sweet, thanks Chubs! After reading that, the only thing I can think of is they have been working on it for a while or their engineers are somehow better than we think?
hoping for the latter, but leaning toward the former...

Nizz

What kinda of shit logic is this? The PS4 is 60 most game and drops.into the 50's occasionally during chaotic scenes. The Xbone goes up to 45 in.empty scenes. How the fuck that the same?
Wow, that sounds pretty smooth to me. If it dips into the 50fps range to me that still feels pretty smooth.

delta25

Banned
PS4. Too much Botox, Lara.
O7J65gD.jpg

dem non tessellated titties

but on a serious note, her face looks really good in that shot.

Top Bottom