• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

I am doing some tests on sound because I do think that LPCM on PS4 for Tomb Raider sounds inferior to LPCM on PS3. This might explain why:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s..._Utilize_DTS_to_Carry_New_Sound_Formats/13172

This article is confusing. If it were true wouldn't using Bitstream DTS enable DTS-HD output? I just tested this and my receiver says it's receiving plain jane DTS, not master audio. Have you noticed this with other games as well? The inferior sound?

Kydd BlaZe

Have you looked at Uncharted3 or even The Last of Us?? These two are easily the best looking games on a console.
Last generation, yes.

Killzone: Shadow Fall holds the crown now, IMO. I've played Tomb Raider on 360 and on PC (in 3D at ultra settings). Love the game, and it certainly looks great, especially on PC, but I think Shadow Fall is the best looking game on console at the moment.

Haven't played the PS4 or XB1 version of Tomb Raider, yet. How much different does it look in comparison to PC ultra settings?

Yeah, so, I deleted the entire last page of posts. No more derails. I don't care what you think about XB1 or PS4 or hardware rumors or whatever. Go post on Major Nelson's blog, and neither should anyone else playing Tomb Raider. It has NOTHING TO DO with tomb raider.

Did you delete my post with Lara's angry face? :(

Tobor

Well, this is the first time I'm playing this game and it looks fantastic on PS4.

Crazy good. I'd like to see more last gen games get this treatment.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Well, this is the first time I'm playing this game and it looks fantastic on PS4.

Crazy good. I'd like to see more last gen games get this treatment.

Hopefully this sells well enough that Naughty Dog and Rockstar take notice. Hopefully.

Hopefully this sells well enough that Naughty Dog and Rockstar take notice. Hopefully.

GTAV is a given if you ask me, but TLOU would be really nice too. I would much rather get games like Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Resident Evil 6, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 1/2 and stuff like that which had amazing PC versions but lackluster console versions. I think GTAV and TLOU are good enough as they are but the ones I mentioned would be superior-- by comparison to their previous-gen releases I mean.

People think pretty highly of TLOU (I'm being modest) so it seems like the general consensus is that it's perfect. However there are other games which are far from perfect on consoles but bloody amazing on PC that I would much rather receive the definitive treatment.

Mrbob

I am doing some tests on sound because I do think that LPCM on PS4 for Tomb Raider sounds inferior to LPCM on PS3. This might explain why:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s..._Utilize_DTS_to_Carry_New_Sound_Formats/13172

Wonder if it is the PCM stream/optical issue? I'm running audio via DTS on my PS4 (via HDMI) and the sound quality in Tomb Raider is phenomenal. It is probably the best use of 5.1 I've heard in a game in a long time. I can hear the trees breezing all around me, birds chirping, lightning striking. I get a full sensation. The only odd thing is cut scenes, because for some reason the developers split the spoken dialogue into the left/right channels instead of the center channel. I don't know why they did that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Its also funny because outside of quad-sli, your heading back to 30fps if you want the resolution and super sampling.

So they're really just hypocritically arguing in circles.

Top end PC is always going to brute force things / pump out better, and few people are going to argue against that. The real story is a $400 box giving a mid to mid-high end rig a run for its money by effeciency. And what that means for development this gen on all platforms.

Doubly silly because a powerful console base means engine baselines go up, meaning those with uber-PCs will actually get pushed more which is good for everyone

Tobor

GTAV is a given if you ask me, but TLOU would be really nice too. I would much rather get games like Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Resident Evil 6, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 1/2 and stuff like that which had amazing PC versions but lackluster console versions. I think GTAV and TLOU are good enough as they are but the ones I mentioned would be superior-- by comparison to their previous-gen releases I mean.

People think pretty highly of TLOU (I'm being modest) so it seems like the general consensus is that it's perfect. However there are other games which are far from perfect on consoles but bloody amazing on PC that I would much rather receive the definitive treatment.

The games that already have PC ports would be nice, but not as necessary as games like GTAV and TLOU.

GTAV in particular is screaming for better hardware.

Loakum

Banned
Of course! Here's proof!

tumblr_mw4tbk44HZ1s1pqgko5_r1_250.gif

Can't argue with science.

Ok, something weird. I can't seem to get past the Tomb Raider definitive edition splash screen. Does this game have a crazy long set-up or something?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TR on PS4 versus PS3 is quieter by a few decibels when both systems are set to LPCM (7.1) However, switching the PS4 to DTS (which reduces it to 5.1) sounds incredible and the decibel readings are the same. As for movies, the PS4 is better setting your audio to bitstream rather than LPCM for similar reasons. In the past, I thought LPCM was better on PS3 for both games and movies, but the PS4 sounds and performs better (especially in games) using either the DTS or Dolby bitstreams. I just tested BF4 on PS4 with DTS and war tapes and I immediately noticed a fuller sound compared to LPCM in 7.1 in war tapes.

TR on PS4 versus PS3 is quieter by a few decibels when both systems are set to LPCM (7.1) However, switching the PS4 to DTS (which reduces it to 5.1) sounds incredible and the decibel readings are the same. As for movies, the PS4 is better setting your audio to bitstream rather than LPCM for similar reasons. In the past, I thought LPCM was better on PS3 for both games and movies, but the PS4 sounds and performs better (especially in games) using either the DTS or Dolby bitstreams. I just tested BF4 on PS4 with DTS and war tapes and I immediately noticed a fuller sound compared to LPCM in 7.1 in war tapes.
Will give that a try. I've been having these thoughts that things should sound better in certain games and movies.

There is no slide show at all. It holds very well and I've been playing it since yesterday. Only time I noticed a weird judder type effect was in a couple of the early cut scenes. It keeps 30 plus easily.

It is the graphical showcase so far and it holds a very respectable framerate.

Same thing on PS4, I noticed some "jutters" on the pre-rendered videos while playing. I am only about 60-90 minutes into it, but I did notice that as well.

Thanks for the tips and the GafDetective investigation. I cannot wait to try this out. Good Work!

nubbe

could be that bitstream has a louder output?
Louder audio always sounds better

Tux

Back to impressions of the game...

Audio: Comparing it to the PS3 version, the PS4 version is quieter in some channels (7.1). I have my PS4 set to PCM, and it is running through the same receiver as my PS3. I can't quite figure it out, but I get the sense the sounds of thunder are not as clean. In addition, the voices may be quieter and get a smidge out of sync on PS4 during the cutscenes.

None of this is a deal breaker, but I do think the PS3 version sounds better, if just slightly. Anyone else notice this?

The LPCM is dependent on the discrete channels that are encoded into the Movie or Game you are playing. Not all LPCM is 7.1. In fact, most Blu-ray movies are not. You'll find certain movies and games have options for LPCM 5.1 and 6.1 as well. Uncharted was one of the first games to give all options in LPCM 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1, DTS and Dolby.

Looks like Tomb Raider is by default outputting LPCM 7.1. But If you are NOT running a 7.1 speaker/amp setup (your receivers setup section) you'll notice a drop in decibels. If you are running a 7.1 speaker/amp setup you'll have to fine-tune your amp distribution based on the room you are in; plus it's good to have an amp that can push all those channels. Personally, I'm running a 5.1 setup speaker wise. Thus, I had to go into my amps settings and change it from 7.1 to 5.1 for ALL future LPCM games/movies. That is optimal! And I get no decibel drop when playing movies that are 7.1 anything.

DTS is 5.1; full bitrate is 1509.75 kbit/s and 754.5 kbit/s for newer DVDs with directors comments, and such. Blu-rays should give the full bit-rate, though in addition to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound just as good as LPCM 5.1. The only difference is that LPCM is un-compressed while TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are compressed. All three are lossless.

Dolby 5.1 is lossy and equivalent to fair quality mp3. That's why it sounds muffled compared to even CD quality DTS 5.1 in games and movies.

So, when you say, "LPCM was better on PS3" that could be because the game/movie you played had LPCM 5.1 which would have matched your speaker/amp setup while a 7.1 audio (the actual content on the disc) does not. Switching the output to LPCM 5.1 will solve this as long as your receiver can handle it.

LPCM 27.648 Mbit/s bitrate
DTS-HD Master Audio up to 24.5 Mbit/s bitrate
Dolby TrueHD 18.64 Mbit/s bitrate
DTS 1.524 Mbit/s (max)
Dolby 5.1 320 kbit/s

This article only applies to you if you have an older DTS receivers and/or you are forced to using the optical output on your PS3/PS4. If you have an HDMI receiver that can decode LPCM/Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, then it doesn't apply to you.

This article is confusing. If it were true wouldn't using Bitstream DTS enable DTS-HD output? I just tested this and my receiver says it's receiving plain jane DTS, not master audio. Have you noticed this with other games as well? The inferior sound?

You are correct. The author includes an image that says, "DTS-HD MA" but throughout the article he just says, "DTS-HD." In the end, if the source does not contain DTS-HD MA material, no amount of bit streaming will change that. DTS is DTS. DTS-HD MA is DTS-HD MA.

Only use bitstream if you absolutely have to (or if you have a better DAC/Receiver that you are off-loading the signal to). Example: Not having a receiver that can handle the new losses codecs. Or if you are forced to use the optical cable for your audio.

In the past using bitstream on even the new receivers would disable some audio in the menu of a blu-ray movie (the clicking sounds and menu music; but would play the movie audio fine). Also, if your receiver's decoding isn't smart enough it will display unknown values in on the LED. Some people like knowing what type of audio is being sent to your receiver.

So besides the technicals, can anyone explained what changed that was worth the 60 bucks besides visuals? Is there any extra missions, free dlc included? Secret ending or different end? More side missions and challenges? Second campaign for the girl who gets abducted, like the ada wong missions in RE4? Anything?

Dead

well not really...yet
So besides the technicals, can anyone explained what changed that was worth the 60 bucks besides visuals? Is there any extra missions, free dlc included? Secret ending or different end? More side missions and challenges? Second campaign for the girl who gets abducted, like the ada wong missions in RE4? Anything?
Should have all the DLC costumes, the Gamestop pre-order Tomb and all the MP DLC

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

There is nothing. It comes bundled with all the bonus content/DLC from the original release, I think, but that's it.

Should have all the DLC costumes, the Gamestop pre-order Tomb and all the MP DLC

There is nothing. It comes bundled with all the bonus content/DLC from the original release, I think, but that's it.

Well that sucks. Doesn't sound to me like it was worth the hype or the 60 bucks. But I guess after this, I can expect more companies to pull "Definite" versions of ports for the same 60 bucks without adding anything just to contribute to the deafening arguments about visuals. *Sigh*....I hope we start fighting for other things than just this you know. Nevermind my last minute bit, just kind of disappointed at this time.

No Love

Banned
Well that sucks. Doesn't sound to me like it was worth the hype or the 60 bucks. But I guess after this, I can expect more companies to pull "Definite" versions of ports for the same 60 bucks without adding anything just to contribute to the deafening arguments about visuals. *Sigh*....I hope we start fighting for other things than just this you know. Nevermind my last minute bit, just kind of disappointed at this time.

Dont worry dude, this will drop to $20-30 relatively quickly, just like all other games.

DieH@rd

Banned

Game has only technical bonuses. It looks way better than on old console.s

But sadly, vast majority of reviewers will not give better score to the console that has better visual performance.

Tux

Wow. I come in here and there's the typical PC vs. PS4 debate again.

So I hear that the PS4 version of TR has no tessellation. That's too bad because tessellation is used EVERYWHERE in the PC version and yes, it is the most taxing next-gen feature to date. I haven't seen a next-gen console game use it yet. That immediately gives the PC version the leg up from a technical perspective. Just my 2 cents.

On the PS4 side, I still have yet to see ANY game rival KZ:SF's technical achievements (and that includes the PC). So have hope PS4 gamers!! :)

What about this? Wind, birds circling, and trees swaying? They don't count?

Instead of being overly bias you could just admit that both versions have their benefits.
If this comparison is anything to go by than its clearly evident that the console version defiantly has its pro's
PC
ku-xlarge.gif

Vs
Console
ku-xlarge.gif

Now on the other hand, if this comparison in the link is a proper indication than the PC version has its its pro's as well:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/24/tomb-raider-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/71343/

So I hear that the PS4 version of TR has no tessellation. That's too bad because tessellation is used EVERYWHERE in the PC version and yes, it is the most taxing next-gen feature to date. I haven't seen a next-gen console game use it yet. That immediately gives the PC version the leg up from a technical perspective. Just my 2 cents.

On the PS4 side, I still have yet to see ANY game rival KZ:SF's technical achievements (and that includes the PC). So have hope PS4 gamers!! :)

Dude, let it go. There have already been deleted posts due to pissing contests derailing the thread.

I think it's fair to say both pc and ps4 Tomb Raider have its pluses and minuses. To say that one version is better than the other is purely subjective - it's in the eye of the beholder.

I haven't played Killzone (and don't intend to, either), but would you really say that Killzone looks better than Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light on max settings. For me, those are probably two of the best looking pc games.

Instead of being overly bias you could just admit that both versions have their benefits.
If this comparison is anything to go by than its clearly evident that the console version defiantly has its pro's
PC
ku-xlarge.gif

Vs
Console
ku-xlarge.gif

Now on the other hand, if this comparison in the link is a proper indication than the PC version has its its pro's as well:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/24/tomb-raider-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/71343/
That is a huge difference. One looks like a living, breathing world, the other looks like a dynamic theme for PS3 in comparison.

Ilive1up

just picked it up on ps4 and it's gorgeous. i've spent like 20 minutes just panning around the environments. lighting is superb.

S¡mon

Banned
I've never really been interested in Tomb Raider, but I might give this a go a few months down the line when this is only €20 or something like that.

Trojan X
(Today, 01:02 AM)
Multi-Quote This Message Quote

Originally Posted by Wildarmsjecht

....wut

Wait. Lemme grab my coat. I'm coming with you.

Lol! Gaf never disappoint!

Unfortunately for the xbox one, weaker hardware is indeed weaker hardware just like someone said here. No matter how much to the metal you go the ps4 will always take the lead in respect to graphical performance, but we all knew that.

Yes in paper it's a weaker hardware, but lets not forget when game developers work towards the strength of a particular console, the games start to truly shine. When the PS3 came out it's GPU was considered very weak next to Xbox 360, but when the developers like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla Games & Sucker Punch started to work towards making the best use of the cell processing units, it resulted in some of the best games of last generation. Games like Quantum Break from Remedy and other exclusive titles that are going to come out on the Xbox One will truly shine.

Cudder

So I was watching a stream of the PS4 version to see if it was something I would want and saw something I guess was kind of a big deal. Someone tell me how major this is to the story.

Some old dude (friends with Lara?) getting axed in the back.

I haven't played this game yet, still worth it to get?

I think some PC gamers are being a little unreasonable to the HD consoles. You do know that they just came out and this is basically an enhanced port of a last generation game essentially meaning that things will obviously improve on the PS4 and XB1 with more experience and time, right?

Kitoro

So has anyone had any luck picking up the game at Best Buy at all? My Best Buy is still stuck on the false release date of 2/4, and refuses to even go further in investigating, despite its availability elsewhere.

DieH@rd

Banned
So I was watching a stream of the PS4 version to see if it was something I would want and saw something I guess was kind of a big deal. Someone tell me how major this is to the story.

Game is great, well worth playing. Its not like old TR games, but much more as Uncharted, only with better combat and more cohesive enviroments.

Its beautiful, fun to play [bow is godly], has a good enough story [charachters are kinda meh]. Well worth playing.

Not a big deal.

Honestly, your best bet is treating the game like a pulp adventure. Don't EVER take the "story" seriously (even though the game itself insists on it)… like even less so than a typical game. I wouldn't say it's shit, but it's so at odds with itself. Plus the majority of the characters are bad gamey stereotypes anyway.

If I remember correctly, I don't think it was significantly major to the story to be honest.

Imo, it is an excellent game. If you like the Uncharted series, you should like this I think. Actually, I may take some heat for this, but I personally think it is a little better than Uncharted and I love the Uncharted series. Now if you played the older games are you expect a direct follow to those installments, then this one is definitely different becasue it is much more action based.

Top Bottom