• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

xion4360

THEY NEED TO PATCH TRESSFX!

Ive been trying to get this noticed so the developers will patch it but no one seems to notice/care. It's supposed to move when you aim but it doesnt.. theres times you can get it to function when your in or around water for some reason.

Tux

THEY NEED TO PATCH TRESSFX!

Ive been trying to get this noticed so the developers will patch it but no one seems to notice/care. It's supposed to move when you aim but it doesnt.. theres times you can get it to function when your in or around water for some reason, I recorded some video of it HERE

When your say, "It's" I'm assuming you mean her hair. But it does move. I would suspect that since the TressFX (as well as the objects on her body) react to the surrounding environment (winds, rain, lights) her hair doesn't move when inside or behind objects. It's a matter of wind patterns.

In your video, there were a few times where you were on a platform (or inside the shanty hut) and on the ground; were the wind blowing or as strong. It's not completely static. It does have a sense of motion. But it's just not going to move all the time. Could it be tweaked. Sure.

I was expecting your video to show a huge bug in which even outside her hair didn't move (while aiming).

xion4360

When your say, "It's" I'm assuming you mean her hair. But it does move. I would suspect that since the TressFX (as well as the objects on her body) react to the surrounding environment (winds, rain, lights).

In your video, there were a few times where you were on a platform (or inside the shanty hut) were the wind isn't as strong as outside. It's not completely static. It does have a sense of motion. But it's just not going to move as it would if you are outside; strong winds affect her hair. Could it be tweaked. Sure.

But I was expecting your video to show a huge bug in which even outside her hair didn't move (while aiming).

do you have the game? whenever you aim a weapon the hair stops moving entirely.. it turns into a solid block. In the video im showing one of the rare times when it does work when aiming.

I just wanted to add a few impressions from the PS4 version. I am only a couple of hours again, but this game is awesome. I am really enjoying it. I completely slept on the game when it was out on the "last gen" systems. So paying $60 for it was no big deal for me. Its a new game to me since I never played it, so the price wasn't a deterrence at all.

I really must commend the developers for everything they have done for the PS4 version. It looks fantastic, one of the best looking PS4 games I have played outside of Killzone, and I have played almost all of them.

They really tried hard to implement the features of the PS4, and I am enjoying that. You have the soundeffects and journals playing through the speaker. The light bar is used for shooting and to display oranges, yellows and reds to represent a torch when you are using it. You have some basic built in voice commands, which I turned off after hearing about the pause issues, so I have never really messed with them. The touch pad can pause the game, and is even used for changing weapons and inspecting artifacts/relics by spinning them around and stuff.

It really is appreciated that the developers spent time, implementing the features of the PS4, outside of just a new gloss of paint and a new framerate. Great Job!!!

I just wanted to add a few impressions from the PS4 version. I am only a couple of hours again, but this game is awesome. I am really enjoying it. I completely slept on the game when it was out on the "last gen" systems. So paying $60 for it was no big deal for me. Its a new game to me since I never played it, so the price wasn't a deterrence at all.

I really must commend the developers for everything they have done for the PS4 version. It looks fantastic, one of the best looking PS4 games I have played outside of Killzone, and I have played almost all of them.

They really tried hard to implement the features of the PS4, and I am enjoying that. You have the soundeffects and journals playing through the speaker. The light bar is used for shooting and to display oranges, yellows and reds to represent a torch when you are using it. You have some basic built in voice commands, which I turned off after hearing about the pause issues, so I have never really messed with them. The touch pad can pause the game, and is even used for changing weapons and inspecting artifacts/relics by spinning them around and stuff.

It really is appreciated that the developers spent time, implementing the features of the PS4, outside of just a new gloss of paint and a new framerate. Great Job!!!

This really sounds like a quality release and I'm definitely downloading on Tuesday.

Tux

In the video im showing one of the rare times when it does work when aiming.

Ah. Yeah, in your video it shows it moving sometimes. I have the game and I didn't notice it probably because in the PS3 version it lacks the hair follicles so I was enamored with the new shine. If they could add some wind affects it would be nice. But not too much in which it whipped across the reticule.

Send CD some emails; but be nice. Don't rage at them; i.e. lose the CAPS! :D

xion4360

Ah. Yeah, in your video it shows it moving sometimes. I have the game and I didn't notice it probably because in the PS3 version it lacks the hair follicles so I was enamored with the new shine. If they could add some wind affects it would be nice. But not too much in which it whipped across the reticule.

Send CD some emails; but be nice. Don't rage at them. lol

lol its not wind thats the problem, its the physics that make the hair move are shut off when you aim. There is probably some error where the game assumes lara goes offscreen when you aim and thus turns off the simulation.. its not supposed to be that way obviously and it shouldnt be hard to fix.

Tux

lol its not wind thats the problem, its the physics that make the hair move are shut off when you aim. There is probably some error where the game assumes lara goes offscreen when you aim and thus turns off the simulation.. its not supposed to be that way obviously and it shouldnt be hard to fix.

What I mean is that the wind will have to be tied to the hair (in aim mode) in a variable sense; to affect her hair dynamically. Like the other video you linked. The fact that it shuts off is due to factors you or I don't know. That could have been a decision on CD or just ran out of time. Thus, hard to fix, is subjective and best left to the developers. Again, just send CD an email or post it in their feed back forums. It's ok. No need to get angry about it.

xion4360

What I mean is that the wind will have to be tied to the hair (in aim mode) in a variable sense; to affect her hair dynamically. Like the other video you linked. The fact that it shuts off is due to factors you or I don't know. That could have been a decision on CD or just ran out of time. Thus, hard to fix, is subjective and best left to the developers. Again, just send CD an email or post it in their feed back forums. It's ok. No need to get angry about it.

im not angry..sorry if I gave off that impression with the way I wrote my responses. and again its not the wind.. in fact there is still a pull from wind sometimes still active even though the physics are not so you see a slight pull on the hair.. its the physics that are shut off. I sent an email so hopefully they get it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Here is a much clearer clip showing precisely what is wrong with tressfx in D.E. this can and should be fixed. LINK
How could they have missed this? At least at 0:25, you can see that the shadows show that the hair should be moving, so it's a bug and not a bad optimization design choice.

xion4360

How could they have missed this? At least at 0:25, you can see that the shadows show that the hair should be moving, so it's a bug and not a bad optimization design choice.

yup in the video I had before (sorry deleted)i showed that sometimes it does work properly when your in water.. ive actually walked out of the water and into a firefight not releasing the left trigger so to keep the hair moving as it should and everything works perfectly. its just a weird bug.

Kimppis

I might regret this, but I just pre-ordered the PS4 version for 54€. I didn't play the original, so maybe it'll be worth it. Last year's demo on the 360 was terrible. I'm not the biggest fan of Uncharted either; the first one was pretty mediocre, but the second one was great, albeit not mindblowing. (Haven't played the third one yet.)

TR just sounds better Uncharted than Uncharted for me. Just found out today that there are "RPG elements" and more open levels. I had no idea, lol. I'm hopeful and my PS4 needs some love. I mean, I can't afford many full-priced games in a year...

So how repetitive (Uncharted 1, ugh...) are the set-pieces? How's the length? 10 hours? Thanks.

Tux

im not angry..sorry if I gave off that impression with the way I wrote my responses. and again its not the wind.. in fact there is still a pull from wind sometimes still active even though the physics are not so you see a slight pull on the hair.. its the physics that are shut off. I sent an email so hopefully they get it.

Yeah, anytime someone post comments IN ALL CAPS it makes it seem as you are ANGRY, YELLING and flipping tables! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) :D

Why would you think they are "shut off?" Do you think they made a mistake? Wouldn't "not implemented (yet)" be a better description? Developers have deadlines to meet and testers have testing to do. Sometimes they don't meet those deadlines. I'm sure this isn't the only request they will get. After installing the game there was already a patch available.

This game looks great and gets better the longer I play it. So much eye candy!

Tux

yup in the video I had before (sorry deleted)i showed that sometimes it does work properly when your in water.. ive actually walked out of the water and into a firefight not releasing the left trigger so to keep the hair moving as it should and everything works perfectly. its just a weird bug.

Yeah, in your first video her hair was moving while aim mostly. That would be nice if they could add that to the whole game. Looks like they have it on only some parts of the game. I'd figure CD are busy adding features that didn't make it to the gold copy. :*(

Tux

I might regret this, but I just pre-ordered the PS4 version for 54€. I didn't play the original, so maybe it'll be worth it. Last year's demo on the 360 was terrible. I'm not the biggest fan of Uncharted either; the first one was pretty mediocre, but the second one was great, albeit not mindblowing. (Haven't played the third one yet.)

TR just sounds better Uncharted than Uncharted for me. Just found out today that there are "RPG elements" and more open levels. I had no idea, lol. I'm hopeful and my PS4 needs some love. I mean, I can't afford many full-priced games in a year...

So how repetitive (Uncharted 1, ugh...) are the set-pieces? How's the length? 10 hours? Thanks.

In comparing Uncharted to Tomb Raider they have two different styles of game play.

Tomb Raider is a true collection based, platforming, action based, combat oriented, adventure. You can back track and and collect items you've missed for upgrades. That's the RPG element (camp fire upgrades). Not all the characters in TR are memorable. Most are cookie cutter. Lara is great though.

Uncharted it a story-based, mystery laden, character driven, adventure. Your attachment to the characters is what makes UC so great and its online multiplayer.

You really should just be headshotting everything with the bow, I did anyway and things fell instantly. Shantytown is monster closet central.

Oh, I'm pretty good at the game; finished it on PS3 already which is why I started on Hard. It's just a bit ridiculous the amount of bullets it takes to put guys down. I mostly use the bow, but you still have to use the other weapons to get trophies.

slapnuts

Let's not forget a lot of unrealistic expectations(at the time) were set by PC-gaf in hopes of making their preferred version the "definitive" version. Ultimately this wasn't the case and the end result was a version of a game that met or beat the expectations set by PC-gaf, which left them feeling like they all just took a round house kick to the face.

hahahaha...i laughed. But seriously, not all PC-gaf are like this. Some of us PC-gaf are just as stoked and excited to see these consoles bring out some amazing games because I would be a damn fool to sit here and say my superior PC is good enough for my gaming needs. There will be MANY PS4 games that will never see the light of day on the PC platform and I just happen to love gaming so much that being a biased schmuck that refuses to give in to consoles would be utter kill-joy for the enthusiast gamer such as myself.

I am very excited to see upcoming future PS4 games, after now seeing such quick impressive results a mere two months after PS4 launch with impressive looking games like TR redux rivaling high end PC graphics this early in its lifespan..it is safe to say that the future is bright for PS4 and to be fair, X1 as well. Just wait until dev's start using stuff like huma,etc

Also, I've said it several times before that the PC platform will also benefit from great looking console games as a lot of those will be ported over. So a lot of PC gamers will get some solid usage out of our hardware with the multiplat games but again..there are just too many upcoming PS4/console exclusives that won't be coming to the PC platform that there is no way i could go this generation without a PS4 sitting next to my PC, simply the best gaming combo ever!

Tux

I was able to reproduce what is happening. At first I thought you needed a river or lake that could act as a transitional area to get the hair movement. But it's any indoor transitional areas (places like huts or caves, etc…).

For example: If you walk into a hut, then press (and hold) the left trigger, then exit the hut, you will be able to see the hair movement; only if you strafing left and right (using the left analog stick). Standing still, in aim mode, will not make her hair move. But you can tell that the physics are different and less "solid." Wind has no affect even in this mode. But it does add to the immersion if you aim and strafe. Once you release the left-trigger. It's gone. No more strafing will make her hair move. It's back to the solid hair.

To reproduce: Find a hut or cave. Hold the left-trigger while leaving that area into the open area and you'll be able to redo what I just wrote above. I have not been able to reproduce this moving from open area to open area, from gazebos, or on top of huts. Just indoor-to-outdoor transitions. Also, you don't even have to hold the left-trigger while leaving. You can just enter a hut, , leave the hut, then press and hold the left trigger and you'll get the hair-movement will strafing effect. Let it go, then it's gone and you'll have to go back inside to restart the process.

Shancake

I'm surprised that you can actually navigate the map using the touch screen in the Vita. Has any game acrually integrated Vita controls so well?

Number45

I don't want to check trophy lists for fear of spoilers - so can someone confirm whether there are MP trophies in the game (and by extension, whether I should even bother trying for the platinum)? Thanks.

I don't want to check trophy lists for fear of spoilers - so can someone confirm whether there are MP trophies in the game (and by extension, whether I should even bother trying for the platinum)? Thanks.

I understand that 15 - 20 hours of multiplayer are needed to get the platinum.

Autofokus

There is sadly a good number of MP trophies.

I'm surprised that you can actually navigate the map using the touch screen in the Vita. Has any game acrually integrated Vita controls so well?

I was surprised as well- for remote play this game is really very functional sans the extra triggers and implementing touch functions

wwm0nkey

So I hated and I mean HATED MP when I tried it on the 360. I don't know if its the 60FPS or my new setup with no input delay but I am having a BLAST with the MP mode in this actually.

pelican

So I hated and I mean HATED MP when I tried it on the 360. I don't know if its the 60FPS or my new setup with no input delay but I am having a BLAST with the MP mode in this actually.

The MP isn't great.

I'll do what I did last year. Play a handful of rounds to grab the easy MP trophies. Not interested in grinding out the longer term ones.

Gurish

"RPG elements" is just a useless marketing phase in this case, it's pretty much useless, sorry.

Gameplay generally is much better than the UC series, set-pieces though are not on the same class and the writing and story are also not as well done, but it has additional elements that UC is lacking like exploration, more enjoyable collectibles, using tools for opening new paths MetroidVania style and most importantly- much much better combat than UC.

The game doesn't feel repetitive at all, great pacing and its always mixing stuff, overall it's a very well done and fun game, it has it pros and cons compared to UC but it's a very worthy entry on its own.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This game is damned good.
gsiqDv5.jpg
BpPURsl.jpg
IfbySff.jpg

Also beautiful.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Whats better? Just opened an imgur account last night because my photobucket bandwidth gets exceeded every time I post anything.

I get pretty nice results through the Playstation app to minus.com

MilkBeard

This game is damned good.

Also beautiful.

Yeah, I just got to that part, and I think I stood in that disgusting bloody pit for a while because the graphics looked so good.

Even after playing Killzone, I think this is the best looking PS4 game to date. Just stunning.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That looks way worse than it should. Did you make any changes? Because saving changes recompresses them every time.

MilkBeard

One other thing that really impresses me is how great the sound design is for this game. The sound effects and music are so good, they create the perfect atmosphere for the game. I've been playing it with headphones at night and it's been great.

TAJ

still awful

anyway sony need to fixed the share button (so many BF4 moments lost this week end) and give us uncompressed Pics

They should patch that in, but it's not bad at all right now.
This is from my last post in the screenshot thread, from the Share button.
iVNxWW7yzy4ZS.jpg

Top Bottom