• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Tabular

Banned
Yes in paper it's a weaker hardware, but lets not forget when game developers work towards the strength of a particular console, the games start to truly shine. When the PS3 came out it's GPU was considered very weak next to Xbox 360, but when the developers like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla Games & Sucker Punch started to work towards making the best use of the cell processing units, it resulted in some of the best games of last generation. Games like Quantum Break from Remedy and other exclusive titles that are going to come out on the Xbox One will truly shine.

Why are you saying PS4 has stronger hardware "in paper" like it doesn't already show itself in real games. As for PS3 having a weaker GPU than 360; it had Cell which made up for it. Does XBone have anything to make up for the power difference?

If I remember correctly, I don't think it was significantly major to the story to be honest.

Imo, it is an excellent game. If you like the Uncharted series, you should like this I think. aActually, I may take some heat for this, but I personally think it is a little better than Uncharted and I love the Uncharted series. Now if you played the older games are you expect a direct follow to those installments, then this one is definitely different becasue it is much more action based.

I'd say it's better than Uncharted in a few key areas, which are solely gameplay related:

- Enemies aren't bullet sponges
- You don't feel like your fighting a small army like in Uncharted IE: enemy clown cars, monster closets, etc.
- You just have more combat options like with flammables, the bow, dirty fighting, etc.
- It's not a complete linear path like Uncharted
- Collectibles have some backstory
- platforming is just better in Tomb Raider as is exploring
- Upgrade system

…I could go on, but yeah, there's quite a lot to enjoy about Tomb Raider. I still prefer the Uncharted series due to it actually having good writing, but TR puts out a great effort none the less.

Mrbob

Dear Crystal Dynamics,

Please stop destroying my left analog stick for the sake of immersion.

Thanks,

Me

I forgot how many times you have to waggle the left analog stick to get out of "hectic" situations. So dumb.

Dear Crystal Dynamics,

Thanks,

Me

I forgot how many times you have to waggle the left analog stick to get out of "hectic" situations. So dumb.

ANY game that does this…. needs… to just not do it.
Like, let me pound a button or something instead okay?

Tobor

Dear Crystal Dynamics,

Thanks,

Me

You can shake the controller instead. That's what I've been doing.

Yeah jamming the analog stick back and forth just because some asshole has a hold of my leg isn't fun and adds nothing. Just let it be a cinematic and get on with it.

So can anyone confirm/deny Zac Levi as an DLC MP character?

If not, I demand my money back as I did not get the Definitive Edition with ALL DLC included.

maxresdefault.jpg

*edit*
For clarification Zac Levi was/is a bonus MP character for last gen. He may have been a 360 exclusive. I'm not sure. The above screen is a capture from the 360 version.

Why are you saying PS4 has stronger hardware "in paper" like it doesn't already show itself in real games. As for PS3 having a weaker GPU than 360; it had Cell which made up for it. Does XBone have anything to make up for the power difference?

Oh you don't get my point, both consoles are going to generate great exclusive games even if the multiplatform games end up performing better on one system when compared to the other.

*edit*
For clarification Zac Levi was/is a bonus MP character for last gen. He may have been a 360 exclusive. I'm not sure.

Was Zac Levi really exclusive? I always thought the character was available on both PS360. .

LOL, Fail.

Hehe, but really...are you surprised? He's pretty much at the point where he's blindly hate posting on anything that's even loosely affiliated with MS or Xbox....

Anyway, "I was only joking" post in 5, 4, 3, 2...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So does the improvements carry over to the multiplayer? Framerate improve anything?
Also I just can't get over how good Lara looks, I thought the original looked good but thats near CG Levels there, TR2 is gonna look amazing!

Tsundere

Banned
LOL, Fail.

Was Zac Levi really exclusive? I always thought the character was available on both PS360. .

Hehe, but really...are you surprised? He's pretty much at the point where he's blindly hate posting on anything that's even loosely affiliated with MS or Xbox....

Anyway, "I was only joking" post in 5, 4, 3, 2...

God, how do spend all day on the same nonsense? You really need to let it go before you become a joke.

Wasn't joking, the guy shouldn't have posted a screenshot without specifying it wasn't his etc.etc.

It's not hate when saying that it isn't the definitive version since it is -in fact- the inferior version right?

I also did specify that the game is supposed to include all DLC, so I did answer the question. Nice try b-rate actor. ;)

Lame, apparently they aren't allowed to sell it early in Canada despite its early release in America.

Lame.

I couldn't get them to sell it early either, although the clerk said he would do it but would get in trouble for doing so.

Well, that's because you got the Xbox One version...

It's supposed to come with all the DLC though.

I actually have the game on PS4. I don't own a Xbone (at least not yet).

You need to calm down.

*edit*

Lol

I didn't see him as a character in the PS4 Edition. Probably wasn't licensed?

So does the improvements carry over to the multiplayer? Framerate improve anything?
Also I just can't get over how good Lara looks, I thought the original looked good but thats near CG Levels there, TR2 is gonna look amazing!

Wut... looks average too me. Dem not rounded edges...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Do you guys think this will stay full price for a while? I'm tempted to double dip but I'd kick myself if it gets discounted in a matter of weeks!
Its the start of the New generation, they usually say full price for a long time sadly
May drop a little like a fiver/ ten doller or less but I wouldn't expect bomber prices what ya use to when games drop in price.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm surprised at how much effort actually has been put into this version compared to what I originally expected. It really seems like a good update

Arklite

Even though my PC is on the weak side I never had faith in this version actually adding anything but a joke price point. Improved effects and smoother frame rate over my PC are tempting me hard.

Wurdfurd

So, can someone clarify, did Gamestop break street date just to be cool or is this some sort of "pay us money for a couple days exclusivity" crap that sucks for me as a canadian/digital only customer.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just finished it. Enjoyed it just as much as I did last year on the PC. Forgot how satisfying the combat is in this game.

The game runs pretty well on PS4 too. I figured out that the shaky cam and variable frame rate made it look like the game was stuttering like hell when it actually wasn't.

delta25

Banned
I'm surprised at how much effort actually has been put into this version compared to what I originally expected. It really seems like a good update

Let's not forget a lot of unrealistic expectations(at the time) were set by PC-gaf in hopes of making their preferred version the "definitive" version. Ultimately this wasn't the case and the end result was a version of a game that met or beat the expectations set by PC-gaf, which left them feeling like they all just took a round house kick to the face.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So, can someone clarify, did Gamestop break street date just to be cool or is this some sort of "pay us money for a couple days exclusivity" crap that sucks for me as a canadian/digital only customer.

It wasn't even in stores for me here (Canada). So this might have very well been, a US-exclusive type of deal.

LTWood12

So has anyone had any luck picking up the game at Best Buy at all? My Best Buy is still stuck on the false release date of 2/4, and refuses to even go further in investigating, despite its availability elsewhere.

In the same situation. Used gift cards so I'm kind of stuck with them. They really are the worst. Please post if you have any luck

I think it's fair to say both pc and ps4 Tomb Raider have its pluses and minuses. To say that one version is better than the other is purely subjective - it's in the eye of the beholder.

I haven't played Killzone (and don't intend to, either), but would you really say that Killzone looks better than Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light on max settings. For me, those are probably two of the best looking pc games.

Yes, I would. And I also agree that C3 and Metro are the 2 best looking games on PC too.

-M

Trojan X

Banned
Yes in paper it's a weaker hardware, but lets not forget when game developers work towards the strength of a particular console, the games start to truly shine. When the PS3 came out it's GPU was considered very weak next to Xbox 360, but when the developers like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla Games & Sucker Punch started to work towards making the best use of the cell processing units, it resulted in some of the best games of last generation. Games like Quantum Break from Remedy and other exclusive titles that are going to come out on the Xbox One will truly shine.

Never will forget that, bro. Remember, the PS3 always was considered the more powerful hardware but what let it down from a multiplatform perspective was its difficulty to program for and its lower vram. This is what resulted in better multiplatform versions of games on the Xbox360 in respect to aesthetics. However, developers that spent the time to delicately work on the PS3 and have great tools to push the machine are the ones that shows what the PS3 can really do, like the Naughty Dog example you've given. This isn't the case anymore... for this generation the PS4 is clearly 2 steps ahead of the XboxOne in both GPU and then some, and the machine is just as easy to program for (PC architecture).

Code written to the metal will always push the capabilities of the machine and, no doubt, there will be some amazing looking games for the XboxOne. After all, no developer truly had the opportunity to really push a graphics card like the Nvidea 580, so when you put that in the picture, playing with the power of the Xbox will be enough power for many developers out there that don't have the tools and resources compared to companies like Capcom and EA. However, in the end of the day, the PS4 will always be more powerful than the XboxOne, and everything will boil down to the decisions and the capabilities of the developers in respect to what they want to do with the strengths of both machines, and whether they can actually harness it.

Leb

Yes, I would. And I also agree that C3 and Metro are the 2 best looking games on PC too.

-M

Which is really a point in 4A's favor. They're just a tiny studio scraping by in the frigid Ukraine, yet they managed to produce a technically impressive engine and a stellar game. Meanwhile, Crytek and GG bring some extremely impressive tech to the table, and then showcase that tech in games which range from inoffensively bad to aggressively awful.

A pity, really.

I'd say it's better than Uncharted in a few key areas, which are solely gameplay related:

- Enemies aren't bullet sponges
- You don't feel like your fighting a small army like in Uncharted IE: enemy clown cars, monster closets, etc.
- You just have more combat options like with flammables, the bow, dirty fighting, etc.
- It's not a complete linear path like Uncharted
- Collectibles have some backstory
- platforming is just better in Tomb Raider as is exploring
- Upgrade system

…I could go on, but yeah, there's quite a lot to enjoy about Tomb Raider. I still prefer the Uncharted series due to it actually having good writing, but TR puts out a great effort none the less.
The bolded I disagree with. At least for me, playing on Hard, enemies will soak up bullet after bullet unless you score a headshot. And yes, the amount of blood Lara sheds is on par with anything Drake has done, and more graphic.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The bolded I disagree with. At least for me, playing on Hard, enemies will soak up bullet after bullet unless you score a headshot. And yes, the amount of blood Lara sheds is on par with anything Drake has done, and more graphic.

yeah they went a bit overboard with the cinematic kills

Jedi2016

I wonder what's going to happen in a couple of years when TR2 comes along. It'll look a damn sight better than TR1, I'm sure, but at what cost? The precious 60fps on PS4 will be a pipe dream at that point.

You really should just be headshotting everything with the bow, I did anyway and things fell instantly. Shantytown is monster closet central.

Yeah I can see that on Hard and yes, TR is VERY much a Mature title whereas I've played and beaten Uncharted1 in front of my 10 year old and haven't felt too weird about it.

I wonder what's going to happen in a couple of years when TR2 comes along. It'll look a damn sight better than TR1, I'm sure, but at what cost? The precious 60fps on PS4 will be a pipe dream at that point.

My guess is many of the changes you're seeing in Definitive Edition is tech built for Tomb Raider 2.

Lady Gaia

You can't be bias.

You can be biased.

Thank you! Gods, can someone please create a clever meme to get the point across once and for all?

On topic: I cleverly arranged my vacation so I'd be back the day the definitive edition was released, just in case it got positive word of mouth. I'm still miffed about the full price release for those of us who own the last gen release, but I'm wavering. Of course I'm sitting on a lovely tropical island in real life watching trees sway, and better yet nobody has tried to kill me during the visit. So there's that.

Top Bottom