• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
GAF... I'm on the edge of whether or not to pick this up... Played it to completion on PS3... I need one very weird question answered... Do enemies respawn when you revisit locations?

No, only wildlife respawns. Eventually you will "hunt an area out" and they will count for a mere 1xp.

If you played it to completion on PS3, then don't buy. Rent. Skip. Or wait for a price drop.

d9b

Banned
Nah once you have completed the game some areas will be populated with enemies again. Shantytown for example.
Went back to Shantytown to collect GPS thingie and was expecting ghost town... Got my head blown with shotgun and pooped my pants at the same time when guy jumped out from behind barrel. Good times.
P.S. Playing on PS4 and loving it!

Went back to Shantytown to collect GPS thingie and was expecting ghost town... Got my head blown with shotgun and pooped my pants at the same time when guy jumped out from behind barrel. Good times.
P.S. Playing on PS4 and loving it!

Yeah I was suprised that some of the locations were inhabited again. One part I didn't like was the beach, it seems they messed with the lighting when you go back there and it's too grey/dark for me.

MilkBeard

Interestingly enough, I've been perusing gaf since this version came out and I never saw this thread.

Anyway, I've been playing and enjoying it quite a bit. My save file got corrupted right before I could download the first patch, which set me back and I had to replay a good portion of the game. I'm not quite back to where I was, but I'll get there soon.

Framerate does stutter but I'm one who prefers this unlocked 60 over AC4's locked 30. I played both back to back and the lack of smoothness was noticeable when jumping in to AC4.

Anyway, I'm excited to see where Tomb Raider 2 will go. I hope they expand more on the tombs.

nOoblet16

Titans have trouble running this game at max with tressfx and keeping up 60 fps usually going down to 45 fps.

Not sure what this guy was expecting. XB1 version is even worst going down to mid 20s.

I have a 780 superclocked which is slightly superior to Titan at stock, I can get the game running at 60FPS with no drops at 1080p and Tress Fx. You are over estimating how demanding the game is, the new Tress Fx is quite optimised (more so on the definitive version apparently) and without Tress Fx the game bows down to even the middle tier PCs.

I'm really glad I didn't buy this the first time it came out. I am surprisingly enjoying this game a lot. Although some last gen assets are apparent, the game's lush environments is pretty stunning to look at. The smooth framerate really helps too.

Yep, me too. I was going to play it when it came out but then didn't. Very glad for that. I'm finding the combat very organic and enjoyable. And it looks awesome, despite the last gen roots.

IMG_0070_zpsab0a9f6a.jpg

i don't troll

It's a shame that "I don't agree with you" has turned into "You're such a troll."

Trolling would be coming into GAF and saying that the Dreamcast was a shitty console and the Philips CD-I was God's gift to gaming.

bobot

Neo Member
bought a copy of the game, even tho it looks beautiful i just cant play it, the judder from the frame rate jumping up and down drives me crazy, same reason i haven't been able to finish killzone SF, i really hope they would give us an option to lock the frame rate like the bioshock games, its a shame,AC4 runs perfect at locked 30, perfect, they should have gone that way instead, might trade this in tomorrow

I u prefer a locked 30. Then remote play if u can. I had to remote play most of this game (damn family. Lol). It was quite enjoyable and even playable 9/10 times with quite a bit of network interference. Comparison wise. It's just far more responsive on the dualshock 4 direct. Barely noticed frame rate dips and blah (I know what 100 shooters per second + is like on a rig). It's more responsive at 60- frames a seconds for me , it's a shame the judder takes from your experience. Mine only increased.

Angelcurio

The drought finally beat me and contrary to my rational will ended up paying full price for the PS4 version, instead of waiting for a price drop. After playing the introductory mission, i must say that Jesus, this game is bananas, is like Uncharted with a female main character, and the graphics are extremely good.

Sky Chief

Just finished the game on PS4, really loved it. The
dual pistols
at the end was a nice touch. Can't wait for the next game.

btkadams

bought a copy of the game, even tho it looks beautiful i just cant play it, the judder from the frame rate jumping up and down drives me crazy, same reason i haven't been able to finish killzone SF, i really hope they would give us an option to lock the frame rate like the bioshock games, its a shame,AC4 runs perfect at locked 30, perfect, they should have gone that way instead, might trade this in tomorrow

you can't complete killzone sf because of the framerate jumping up and down? i'm pretty sure the campaign runs at 30fps with rare dips. the complaints about killzone's framerate fluctuations are directed at the multiplayer...

edit: nvm i guess the single player fluctuated between 30 and 40 fps. however, the new patch includes a setting to lock the single player framerate to 30.

Cess007

A workmate let me borrow his copy (he already finished in the last weekend) and so far i've really enjoyed the game. I got hook and played like 3/4hrs; which is rare 'cause anything longer than 2hrs gaming sessions tends to tire me. I can't wait to finish work today and go back to play!

I managed to knock out all of the multiplayer trophies except Shopaholic and True Commitment, so it looks like I'm on track to platinum this game. I'm all That was the one I was most worried about, because I'm really horrible at multiplayer, but with 2-3 other people helping you boost it turns out to be pretty easy no matter how bad you are.

For True Commitment, I'm up to about 300,000 exp (level 28), so at this rate I expect roughly 9-10 hours of boring solo farming on single player private rescue to finish off level 60 and get the True Commitment trophy.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Played through it. 94% finish.

High point for me was graphics. Occasionally the animation / control. There is some pretty good stuff in here animation-wise, but it's uneven. There are low low-points too. Pretty neat the 2-3 times during the game when the auto cover actually worked around a corner like it was supposed to.

Final verdict: Half-decent Uncharted, terrible and disgraceful fucking Tomb Raider.

Franchise is dead to me going forward. No interest in following TR: Blood n' Mud games.

NeoRausch

question about one of the hidden trophies:

I know that I need to talk to all survivors on the beach to gain this one.
am I fucked now that I've already okayed trough the game?

question about one of the hidden trophies:

I know that I need to talk to all survivors on the beach to gain this one.
am I fucked now that I've already okayed trough the game?

Yes you are, need to replay, same as me :(

Final verdict: Half-decent Uncharted, terrible and disgraceful fucking Tomb Raider.
Franchise is dead to me going forward. No interest in following TR: Blood n' Mud games.

I agree, it was a good game, but it wasn't Tomb Raider.

It is taking all the power in me to not double dip on this. I finished the PC version on hard. If it wasn't $60, it would have been an impulse buy for me.

Game looks beautiful. Finished the game on PS3 and started yesterday on PS4. Game looks gobsmacking, but I also think that Nixxes did an amazing job on the PS3 version.
I was quite cheap here ( The Netherlands ) Bought it for 29,99 euro at Saturn.

btkadams

It is taking all the power in me to not double dip on this. I finished the PC version on hard. If it wasn't $60, it would have been an impulse buy for me.

i feel you. i hadn't even played the original, but the thought of paying $60 for a year-old game was too much for me. thankfully, i was able to get it for $35 through target canada's ps4 game sale a couple days ago. it was only a raincheck, as it was sold out, but i should be getting it at the next shipment. can't wait!

SkylineRKR

Game looks beautiful. Finished the game on PS3 and started yesterday on PS4. Game looks gobsmacking, but I also think that Nixxes did an amazing job on the PS3 version.
I was quite cheap here ( The Netherlands ) Bought it for 29,99 euro at Saturn.

I recently found out Nixxes is Dutch as well. They must be excellent, the Ps3 version was by them and also the better port of the 2. They also did the excellent DC version of Soul Reaver among other Eidos ports.

I bought TR for 35 at MM. Its worth it for that amount, great game indeed. Even though I finished the Ps3 version just a year ago I am still amazed by the Ps4 version.

Nori Chan

Finished it yesterday and I'm now on the level 60 grind to finish all of the achievements. Great game, glad I could play it again. Also I miss old Lara's face.

Melchiah

Got the CE-34878-0 error code last night on the Shipwreck Beach, and one previously during the jump to the helicopter. Both post-1.6 update. Lost 80% save file, and have to start over from 69%. Luckily I had made another save slot.

Here's what I found about the error, FYI.
http://community.us.playstation.com...Error-CE-34878-0-Fix-Prevention/td-p/42845245
I am pretty sure you had that crash when Lara is jumping to the helicopter running away from an explosion. Everybody had that crash without issue.

But then you will face the crashes that are deadly for your save file and they usually occur at Shipwreck Beach when you fast travel away from it and fast travel back. Try to complete everything 100% and every tomb you have to complete before reaching Shipwreck Beach.
To avoid losing your progress, here is what you have to do:

1/ Just use the 3 save slots every time you save in a camp. Press "options" during the game, choose "change save slot", select a new slot by pressing X on the slot, wait for the TR logo to blink on the bottom right of the screen and do it again until the 3 slots are identical (you can do that with only 2 slots if you want to keep the 3rd for another purpose like missable trophies attempts)

DO NOT FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH (complete that level 100% before leaving it). IF YOU FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH, THE GAME WILL CRASH AND WILL DESTROY YOUR SAVE (VERY BAD PROGRAMMING).

2/ If the game crashes on you while you are playing (Crash A) and corrupt the save in your current slot, simply reload the game and a save file from another slot. You will only lose the progress from the last save and the moment of crash.

3/ Then from the healthy save, overwrite the corrupted slot (this will be done naturally if you always save on the 3 slots.)

THIS HAS WORKED 100% of the time for me on Tomb Raider D.E. to avoid "Crash B" to occur permanently.
I did fast travel back to the beach after completing previous areas. =/ I'm going to do the advised precaution method of saving on three slots on every camp from now on.

EDIT: Apparently the XB1 version has the same issue.

SkylineRKR

Jesus, that bug is insane. I am playing for 100% and doing well atm. I'm not at shipwreck beach yet, but I think its not too far from where I am.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I can relate. I adored the 360 version and have been looking for an excuse to revisit it, but am now feeling buyer's remorse after spending $60 once again. The port is gorgeous and it is still a good time, but after the luster wore off of the visual enhancements early in, I do feel really cheated paying that much for the same game. The thrill and excitement of revisiting hasn't been as appetizing as originally thought. I've done this all before and recently. I shoulda held off for $30.

I loved the game, I played and finished it on on Hard on my PS4 this past week. Unfortunately my trophies in this game are bugged, and I've already traded it back to EB Games. The only viable solution suggested was to unlock more trophies in the game, but I don't have it anymore, and I beat the game in roughly two sittings. So basically I only have 3 trophies synced when I'm supposed to have however many I earned throughout my gameplay session until completion. I remember unlocking so many. Now it's like I never ever played the damn game according to trophies, :(. First world probs, I know. Still sucks majorly.

Melchiah

Jesus, that bug is insane. I am playing for 100% and doing well atm. I'm not at shipwreck beach yet, but I think its not too far from where I am.

It's extremely annoying to replay a long section again. I've always dreaded losing a save file, and now it finally happened. =( According to the link, you should be safe if you don't fast travel to and fro the Shipwreck Beach, but I guess it's better to make precautions, and save on different slots.

aro52

Told myself I wouldn't pick this up, after finishing it (and getting a good portion of the Trophies) on PS3. Ended up getting it from Gamefly on a free month trial, and having a BLAST playing through it again! Such a solid game.

Was originally just planning to check it out for the next-gen visual comparison, but will probably end up finishing it AND Trophy hunting a bit!

I recently found out Nixxes is Dutch as well. They must be excellent, the Ps3 version was by them and also the better port of the 2. They also did the excellent DC version of Soul Reaver among other Eidos ports.

I bought TR for 35 at MM. Its worth it for that amount, great game indeed. Even though I finished the Ps3 version just a year ago I am still amazed by the Ps4 version.

Same feeling here; Nixxes did an amazing job indeed. I'm amazed that this game still is a blast on the second playthrough. The fact that it looks lovely is a big plus off course.

NeoRausch

can somebody help me out?
I got every area to 100% but the overall percentage is still at 99% and both trophies (collect everything / do all challenges) didn't unlock.

what am I missing?

edit:
nvm, fucking cliffside bunker! totally missed it!

can somebody help me out?
I got every area to 100% but the overall percentage is still at 99% and both trophies (collect everything / do all challenges) didn't unlock.

what am I missing?
Most likely the area past the beach. On mobile can't edit well it seems.

Top Bottom