• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

d9b

Banned
The only way to get uncompressed shots would be via a capture card. Any other way would result in compressed shots.

Not so fast ... PS4 uploads photos to Facebook in 1080p. You can grab them and upload them to your image hosting website of choice. They are jpgs so technically are slightly compressed, it'll never look as good and sharp as on your HDTV but still holds well.

Like this ( my straight from pS4 screenshot ) :

EDIT: 1080p image, old one was 720p ... apologies

image.jpg

Jack cw

Not so fast ... PS4 uploads photos to Facebook in 1080p. You can grab them and upload them to your image hosting website of choice. They are jpgs so technically are slightly compressed but still hold well.

Like this ( my pS4 screenshot ) :
Its compressed rather heavily. Your screenshot is a perfect example of low a quality jpg. Its scaled down from 1080p and has still horrendous artifacts that doesnt represent anything of the games great image quality. Sony needs to integrate a capture option in png format.

benzy

Not so fast ... PS4 uploads photos to Facebook in 1080p. You can grab them and upload them to your image hosting website of choice. They are jpgs so technically are slightly compressed, it'll never look as good as on your HDTV but still hold well.

Like this ( my pS4 screenshot ) :

image.jpg

That looks compressed to hell and back dude. I'm still waiting for Sony to let us directly export our shots to a USB storage device.

d9b

Banned
Its compressed rather heavily. Your screenshot is a perfect example of low a quality jpg. Its scaled down from 1080p and has still horrendous artifacts that doesnt represent anything of the games great image quality. Sony needs to integrate a capture option in png format.
It's a jpg so it is compressed but it's best we (the people) can do at the moment... And as close as we can get from PS4 to the web.

Just finished the campaign. 2014 is already off to a great start. I probably should have turned off the controller speaker when I had the chance. I would say it was the main culprit for the constant pausing during cutscenes since I was wearing headphones. In any case, I had a blast; gonna find the rest of the collectibles and upgrade everything. But first, I want to take a crack at the multiplayer. Something to keep me occupied since I sold BF4

9/10

edit: Forgot to add. I wasn't really all much interested in the Tomb Raider franchise before playing this game. If Crystal Dynamics keeps it up in future installments, I might just become a TR fan

Rainy Dog

Sod it, I'm picking this is up once as finished with AC4.

Good to see it's topped the UK charts as well. Hopefully paves the way for more 1080p remasters of last-gen games with an equal amount of additional spit and polish. (though I'd prefer a slightly lower pricepoint)

Rizsparky

Deserved in my opinion, the game's great. I was kind of concerned about the combat in the begining, but now more than halfway through it I'm finding it very enjoyable. I'm surprised that I think it's more fluid and organic than Uncharted's combat.

I agree with the fuilidty, it's really fun to play.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
FYI screenshots get less compressed if you pull them via the mobile Playstation app (message yourself, then view messages on your phone).

Loving the game so far on my second play through on PS4, double dipped from PC.

I cannot believe how much more I am enjoying the game second time around. I enjoyed it on PS3, but maybe I just wasn't ready to play it or something whereas I was quite excited to play it again on PS4, even after initially thinking the price was a bit high (I got a decent deal on it though).

NeoRausch

That would be cool, I doubt Sony will do that but let's hope ;)
somewhat crazy that the Wiiu is the only console out of the three that let's you upload totally uncompressed pictures from the cache to an upload service.
Sony and Microsoft lacking!

nib95

Banned
That looks compressed to hell and back dude. I'm still waiting for Sony to let us directly export our shots to a USB storage device.

Right now you can get much higher quality by messaging an alternate PSN account the photo using the PS4, and using the Playstation App on your mobile to receive and download it (just sign in on the alternate PSN account on your mobile in the app). It saves on to your phone after which you can upload it.

These are shots I posted using the Playstation App technique. You can see they have less compression than the others. Much closer to the quality of the capture cards.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92600038&postcount=3585

d9b

Banned
Right now you can get much higher quality by messaging an alternate PSN account the photo, and using the Playstation App on your mobile to receive and download it. It saves on to your phone after which you can upload it.

These are shots I posted using the Playstation App technique. You can see they have less compression than the others. Much closer to the quality of the capture cards.

Nice! Will give it a try... Thanks!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Right now you can get much higher quality by messaging an alternate PSN account the photo using the PS4, and using the Playstation App on your mobile to receive and download it (just sign in on the alternate PSN account on your mobile in the app). It saves on to your phone after which you can upload it.

On iOS, it's interesting that the color tinting of the screenshots come out differently depending on what type of device you're using.

iPad 3 (same color tint as in-game):
i4nj8oKb3mAfu.JPG

iPhone 5S (purple tinting):
id83d7lPBX2hI.JPG

Note the subtle purple tint to the iPhone 5S saved screenshot (easily seen if you put both images in two tabs and swap between them).

Whoa...has anyone else noticed the significant bump in difficulty on hard?

I played this game on hard on the PS3 version and it was a joke; a total cakewalk.

Game has been kicking my ass a bit more than I had anticipated. The AI is noticeably more aggressive for this DE, and also pulling some very intelligent moves. These enemies know how to keep me from pulling off a head shot, and they move in and out of cover quite swiftly. There are also guys who rush me while their buddies provide covering fire, which is insane. I've been taking tons of damage.

Maybe it's the bump in fps, but damn...game plays differently this time around (in a good way).

nubbe

To bad the multiplayer is slow and boring, completely uninspired
Assassin's Creed's multiplayer is unique and is an excellent fit for the product, quite fun too

No multiplayer in Tomb Raider 2 please, there are too many games out on the market that does it better

Jack cw

Whoa...has anyone else noticed the significant bump in difficulty on hard?

I played this game on hard on the PS3 version and it was a joke; a total cakewalk.

Really? I played this for a few hours and the AI is still braindead. Sure, you dont take much damage but its not like the enemies are overpowered or anything. I find it pretty easy so far but I just came back from an Uncharted 2 run on crushing.

eshwaaz

Amazing game, amazing visuals aside from Lara's face looking stiff as hell during cutscenes.
This is my only real disappointment with the visuals in the Definitive Edition. Lara's face was much more emotive in the 2013 version. The new face is prettier, but otherwise a downgrade in terms of expressiveness.

JoeFenix

I like this game. I do feel its a bit silly how indestructable Lara is though. She's like the Terminator.

Less than 2 hours in the game and she's more worried about having to climb a tower than the fact that she has to get through an army of armed hobos before she can even reach it.

The story is incredibly questionable.

Shenzakai

Banned
Played it on PS3 last year, but only nearly half-way through.

Now I've got the XOne version and already finished 1/3 of the game. Enjoying it even more than back last year and the visuals are just awesome! Crisp 1080p is so gorgeous and some scenes look photorealistic with the decent lightning and level of detail. Brilliant!

I'm playing this on my 360 (Shhh) but since everyone is talking about it in this thread I'm going to post here.

I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since the PlayStation 1 days but I'm really enjoying this game.

Played it on PS3 last year, but only nearly half-way through.

Now I've got the XOne version and already finished 1/3 of the game. Enjoying it even more than back last year and the visuals are just awesome! Crisp 1080p is so gorgeous and some scenes look photorealistic with the decent lightning and level of detail. Brilliant!

Next you can play the PS4 version and admire the much better 1080p. =]

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
bought a copy of the game, even tho it looks beautiful i just cant play it, the judder from the frame rate jumping up and down drives me crazy, same reason i haven't been able to finish killzone SF, i really hope they would give us an option to lock the frame rate like the bioshock games, its a shame,AC4 runs perfect at locked 30, perfect, they should have gone that way instead, might trade this in tomorrow

Soi-Fong

bought a copy of the game, even tho it looks beautiful i just cant play it, the judder from the frame rate jumping up and down drives me crazy, same reason i haven't been able to finish killzone SF, i really hope they would give us an option to lock the frame rate like the bioshock games, its a shame,AC4 runs perfect at locked 30, perfect, they should have gone that way instead, might trade this in tomorrow

Why do I get the feeling you're trolling. No one here has said anything about framerate jumps that heavily affect the gameplay.

If this game is bad, I cant imagine you playing a game like Dead Rising 3 which has real framerate problems.

geordiemp

Let me guess, it runs better at 120 fps on your uber gaming rig ?

Not all of us have gaming PC's, and as such we are used to playing on 360/Ps3 and getting sub 20 fps experiences on many games.....So for us this is a big step forward.

Yes, they should have left some of the hair effects on the table for more stable 60, but its still good for console...

I'm really glad I didn't buy this the first time it came out. I am surprisingly enjoying this game a lot. Although some last gen assets are apparent, the game's lush environments is pretty stunning to look at. The smooth framerate really helps too.

Soi-Fong

LOL

Titans have trouble running this game at max with tressfx and keeping up 60 fps usually going down to 45 fps.

Not sure what this guy was expecting. XB1 version is even worst going down to mid 20s.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Why do I get the feeling you're trolling. No one here has said anything about framerate jumps that heavily affect the gameplay.

If this game is bad, I cant imagine you playing a game like Dead Rising 3 which has real framerate problems.

IMG_0070_zpsab0a9f6a.jpg

i don't troll

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member

Not all of us have gaming PC's, and as such we are used to playing on 360/Ps3 and getting sub 20 fps experiences on many games.....So for us this is a big step forward.

Yes, they should have left some of the hair effects on the table for more stable 60, but its still good for console...

who mentioned a rig? you are seriously attacking me without any reason, that is exactly what i think, whatever happened with the GAF being a place that respected opinions?

thelastword

Banned
Dude said he would prefer a locked 30fps, ya'll tried to label him a trolling pc gamer. Who's trolling again?
I don't think anyone questioned whether he had the PS4 version, actually it's not the first time he's come to a tombraider thread to express that he prefers locked 30. The way I see it, if you're that annoyed by fluctuating framerates, perhaps a pc would be more apt for regulating such a thing, also he should have watched the eurogamer videos and decided that an average of 50fps wavering from 60-45 mostly would not meet his standards.

As for me, I'll take a higher framerate, everytime. we've gone from 30fps with dips last gen. This gen I'll take 60fps with dips with arms open wide, it's progress. For tombraider 2 they may just hit a more stable 60 with more mature tools and engine optimization.

Started playing this tonight on PlayStation 4 and have so far been incredibly impressed by how lovely it looks. Really awesome texturing, shadows and lighting, and that framerate is incredible. I really, really hope Naughty Dog treat us to 1080p 60fps games on this console, this plays like an absolute dream.

Zafir

The unlocked frame rate only annoyed me in 2 or 3 places in all honestly. One place where it was especially noticeable was just during
the running sequence when escaping from the Monastery
. Was some serious stuttering on that bit specifically.

kmg90

GAF... I'm on the edge of whether or not to pick this up... Played it to completion on PS3... I need one very weird question answered... Do enemies respawn when you revisit locations?

Top Bottom