• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

RadioSupreme

Neo Member
Popped in my 360 version after playing the PS4 one for a little while and for it to be a year apart they're almost night and day versions in terms of visual

Delt31

some pics i took

bp7.jpg

cp7.jpg

dp7.jpg

Just me or is the first pic super black crush?

Playing the game, having fun

Notice my controller light is flashing rapidly

What the hell is wrong with my controller?

Turn it over; it's flashing red/orange/yellow

Look at the screen

Controller light flashes colors to emulate ambient torchlight whenever Lara has the torch out and lit

TECHNOLOGY
It was pretty cool when I noticed it.

One thing I do find weird though is that audio logs and sound effects seem to come from both the TV and controller, it's not off putting because they're synched, just gives this weird effect.

I am also big into using the touch pad for lighting and extinquishing the torch.

Good use of the controller alround, I'd say.

Chinner

Banned
i disabled the voice commands and audio log stuff, it just rubbish. using the touch pad to light up though is pretty cool.

-Amon-

Bought this yersteday on ps4, palyed a couple of hours and i'm not that impressed.

Many people compare TR to naughty dog's works but from what i'm seeing this is vastly inferior in some aspects. Animation, interaction with the surroundings, facial expressions, character design while not being bad on an absolute level are far from being UC2 / UC3 level.

Apart from that, TR looks interesting. I'm interested to see how the story develops and what kind of encounters / gameplay mechanics they'll throw at me.

t hicks

Banned
I rented the PS4 version from Gamefly.

I played it on PS3 and really enjoyed it, but man.. the 60FPS really makes this game more enjoyable for me. Plus I'm loving the way the game uses the DS4.

Really liking it so far.

highrider

Banned
Great game but I'm bummed about the lack of new game +. I hope a hard difficulty offers a challenge in the combat. The combat was fun but needs something to mix it up.

don't see the point of the levelling systen, some of the basic movies are pointlessly locked behind a XP wall (like melee combat, why??), but so far i'm just not feeling or seeing a difference in terms of weapon or skill leveling. the constant gratification notification is pretty pointless too.

You see, this is one of the things I thought they pulled off well enough actually. Basically attaching a gameplay system to the idea that Lara gradually becomes more and more of the character people she knows, from climbing to combat.
Could there have been more narrative and I dunno, meaning behind it? sure...

JohngPR

Don't forget Mathais looking all evil the first time you see him, anybody could have been like yo this dude is a creeper except Lara and Sam apparently.

LOL! In Lara's defense, she was very apprehensive about him...but
passed out before she could do anything about it.

Oppo

ok gonna d/l for x1 later.

for x1? really? you?? ;)

Finished it yesterday as well, and it was a really good time. The beginning is rushed, feels disjointed, and I have the same complaints about the "rebar impaling" and other odd omissions (hey Lara, maybe you want to recount some of what happened to you to the others...?) but once it gets going it really ticks along.

It owes a hell of a lot to Uncharted, which in turn owes a hell of a lot to the original Tomb Raider, so I guess that's fair play. I do hope Naughty Dog took notes on the more open hub world/camp style of approaching levels as I thought that was awesome. Also the climbing was slightly (ever so) more challenging than Uncharted's platforming due to the "grab" mechanic and the climbing pick. I liked that.

Also it's cool to see the devs just go completely ham with the particle effects, fog/smoke, volumetric light, and plant physics. SO MUCH MOVEMENT.

kyser73

I'm just past the Chasm Monastary level and I've still not noticed any huge performance hits...when do they come?

Certainly haven't experienced any judder/jutter yet.

1661263_582340355176582_2032886556_n.jpg

1662533_582340528509898_1312281639_n.jpg

1779824_582340588509892_1435535274_n.jpg

I love the variety of places in this game. It really is a damn shame the actual narrative is so laughable as everything is just so damn well done...

Ora

Banned
Wow I am absolutely loving this game!!! (have PS4 version) it's incredibly enjoyable to just revisit old basecamps and explore. Excellent world design here!

Juz

I loved this when I played it on 360. I was meaning to wait for the price to drop on the PS4 version but the hype is catching up to me.

Sagitario

Lol NO, an animation starts and ends at the same time regardless of 10, 30 or 60fps. The animation will contain more viewable frames though

Say an animation that takes 3 seconds to show.
Example:

@10fps: 10x3 = Will contain 30 total frames
@30fps: 30x3 = Will contain 90 total frames
@60fps: 60x3 = Will contain 180 total frames

There is no disadvantage running at higher framerate if it can be maintained and the animation is detailed enough

I remember reading that the HD versions of Shadow of the Colossus and The Wind Waker were locked at 30fps because of the animation, why is that?

sector4

I finished this on the weekend, totally loved it!

Did anyone else get a massive RE4 vibe from it? Especially from the
last couple hours on the beach
really reminds me of the end sequence of RE4 from when
Leon arrives at the weird facility
I think also it has to do with the really solid animation on Lara/Leon and the way you customise weapons. Either way, top game! Really glad they did this version, it is simply stunning on PS4.

And they managed to do something no one else has done yet - impress me with the lightbar.

SpokkX

I remember reading that the HD versions of Shadow of the Colossus and The Wind Waker were locked at 30fps because of the animation, why is that?

Because the didnt bother make the game time instead of frame based i guess? Anyway that is unusual in modern games

Melchiah

Fuuuuu.... I seem to have encountered a bug on the PS4, that prevents me from shooting robes on which to traverse between the wooden poles, and thus proceeding in the game. Nothing happens when I shoot the arrow on the marked pole. It happened after I completed and exited the optional tomb, called Hall of Ascension, and fell off the cliff shortly afterwards. Before the untimely death the arrow shooting mechanic worked completely fine. I tried to save to another slot, and boot-up the game, didn't help. This is really fucked up.

Also the basecamp, where I met Conrad Roth after
the plane crash
seems to have disappeared from the fast travel menu. The last basecamp is now the one before
the radio tower.

Fuuuuu.... I seem to have encountered a bug on the PS4, that prevents me from shooting robes on which to traverse between the wooden poles, and thus proceeding in the game. Nothing happens when I shoot the arrow on the marked pole. It happened after I completed and exited the optional tomb, called Hall of Ascension, and fell off the cliff shortly afterwards. Before the untimely death the arrow shooting mechanic worked completely fine. I tried to save to another slot, and boot-up the game, didn't help. This is really fucked up.

Also the basecamp, where I met Conrad Roth after
the plane crash
seems to have disappeared from the fast travel menu. The last basecamp is now the one before
the radio tower.
I'm sure you're probably doing it right, but on the off chance; are you using R1 to shoot the arrows? I did that once; shooting regular arrows instead of the rope ones.

Don't know what to say about the base camp; first I've heard if that. That sucks.

Melchiah

I'm sure you're probably doing it right, but on the off chance; are you using R1 to shoot the arrows? I did that once; shooting regular arrows instead of the rope ones.

Don't know what to say about the base camp; first I've heard if that. That sucks.

Motherf**k! I'm apparently starting to get senile for forgetting that. =D Hopefully that's all there's to it. I have no idea why the basecamp isn't there though.

PARANO1A

I'm playing on Xbox One and enjoying it. Am quickly at the point of not bothering with collectibles though, ugh.

I thought the voice commands were quite well done - yelling "bow" means leaving my hands on the cobtroller for character movement, really useful when getting shot at.

Haines

Banned
Just finished it on PS4. Fuck me, that was awesome. Game looks absolutely stunning. The credits rolled at 72% complete and I'm going back tomorrow to collect the rest.

I paid full price (£45) and thought it was worth every penny. Really glad I didn't buy it for PS3 when it first came out.

Glad to hear this. Hoping this game warrants my ps4 somewhat when I get it

Nakor

I'm playing on Xbox One and enjoying it. Am quickly at the point of not bothering with collectibles though, ugh.

I thought the voice commands were quite well done - yelling "bow" means leaving my hands on the cobtroller for character movement, really useful when getting shot at.

I wonder what your neighbors are thinking.

So I beat this on the PS3 last year and bought the PC version back in November for $10 off Steam. I have been tempted to buy the PS4 version. To fight that I fired up the PC version running on Ultra across the board with TressFX and SSAO at 2x. This game is absolutely gorgeous on the PC. For those that have played both PC and the X1/PS4 versions, is the only difference the new stuff that was added to the game + Lara's new face, etc.? I know Digital Foundry in their review is saying that if you have the PC version on Ultra, no need to bother with the next gen console versions......but I have an inquiring mind. LOL!

Odrion

Banned
Started to play a whole bunch of it.

Amazing game, amazing visuals aside from Lara's face looking stiff as hell during cutscenes.

I hope Uncharted 4 takes some notes from the Metroidy style environments of this game. One issue I had with the Uncharted games is that despite them being thematically about explorers and discovery there was a distinct lack of exploration and uh, discovery.
I love the variety of places in this game. It really is a damn shame the actual narrative is so laughable as everything is just so damn well done...
That reminds me, I thought it was super cool that the journals you collect are from three vastly different time periods but they all tie into the same story. A shame that story is kinda stupid and there's not much payoff. But oh well!

Carnby

I want to get in on the photo sharing action. What's the best way to share these pics without compressing them?

TripOpt55

This game is so pretty. It's crazy. Still not the biggest fan of the core game, but it is fun enough and the visuals are really amazing.

Kerned

Banned
I picked up a PS4 on Saturday and downloaded this once I got everything set up. What a beautiful game, and what a huge difference 60 and 1080 make. Even my wife kept looking up from her iPad and commenting how gorgeous it looks. Visuals aside, the game itself is really fun. I'm actually liking it a lot more than I expected to.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Really enjoying the game even if it is a little more action than tomb raider. I hope the next game gas more puzzles. I'm about 50 percent in and really hit a lot of action. Wish it was broken up a touch more with exploration but I suppose I could be doing that myself when the game allows it. Quiet a few sections I'm kind of forced through and feel I'm slowing the pace they are going for if I just start looking around.

Is it not worth going got collectibles at the end then?

That reminds me, I thought it was super cool that the journals you collect are from three vastly different time periods but they all tie into the same story. A shame that story is kinda stupid and there's not much payoff. But oh well!

Yup :/

Finished it tonight and would still give it a super fucking solid 8/10

Taking a break though and not gonna jump back in right away. I'm definitely keeping it in my collection though.

Sky Chief

Started to play a whole bunch of it.

Amazing game, amazing visuals aside from Lara's face looking stiff as hell during cutscenes.

I hope Uncharted 4 takes some notes from the Metroidy style environments of this game. One issue I had with the Uncharted games is that despite them being thematically about explorers and discovery there was a distinct lack of exploration and uh, discovery.

Exactly what I was thinking, I hope the guys at ND have all played this. Really loving the game, the exploration is really fun and level design is awesome, visuals are beautiful, and the combat is good too.

Top Bottom