• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Cess007

This is honestly one of the easiest games ever on hard. But I'm still enjoying it as much as my first playthrough last year.

Yeah, at the beginning i'd doubts if i should start the game on normal and then try a second walkthrough on hard, but decided against it 'cause it's a borrowed game. I didn't expect Hard to be that.. well, easy.

Mascot

I absolutely loved this game on 360 and will definitely double dip if I ever find a reason to get a Bone or PS4.

Is a sequel in the works?

SkylineRKR

I was dumb for selecting normal, I suddenly remembered I breezed through the PS3 version on Hard. But I can't spot a difference in difficulty, honestly. She can probably eat a few more bullets on Normal but thats it.

Lima

I was dumb for selecting normal, I suddenly remembered I breezed through the PS3 version on Hard. But I can't spot a difference in difficulty, honestly. She can probably eat a few more bullets on Normal but thats it.

You can change ingame if you want.

Symphonia

Banned
So I picked up my copy today (PS4) and I'm loving it. I'm currently at the shanty town and good God, it's nigh-on impossible.
The one sequence with Lara on the rooftop with the enemies coming at her from all sides is particularly difficult. I've died about four times now. I always seem to run out of arrows and get gunned down in a hail of gunfire.

Fehyd

Banned
I think I've only seen one copy in the wild where I live.

This thing is still pretty tough to get a hold of. I'd go for the download version if not for my g/f wanting to play it too.

Melchiah

The game drew me in on almost every evening after its release, which is pretty rare for me as I usually only play few days a week, but after the crash bug that corrupted my 80% save file, I find that I have no interest to continue playing it. The idea of replaying 11% of the game feels such a chore, that I feel like giving up on it altogether. Especially as there's no guarantee it won't crash again, and wipe away another chunk of my playthrough. I just hate repetition, and doing something again unneccessarily. It strips away all the enjoyment of playing the game. Too bad, as I was really enjoying the game up until that point. It's absolutely unacceptable to release a product in this kind of state (EDIT: They probably rushed the release, and cut some corners on QA, to get it out during the drought, before the big names hit the next gen systems), and the publisher should definitely face repercussions for it. At least offer a compensation for those affected by the issue. I guess I won't be buying their games again.

nubbe

The crash bug is more of a Sony issue.. since it has happened to me in every disc based game I own...
Except Tomb Raider actually.. so far

Melchiah

The crash bug is more of a Sony issue.. since it has happened to me in every disc based game I own...
Except Tomb Raider actually.. so far

From what I've read, it happens on the XB1 version of Tomb Raider as well, and it hasn't happened to me in the other games I've played; KZ:SF, Resogun, Flower, and Outlast.

Lima

From what I've read, it happens on the XB1 version of Tomb Raider as well, and it hasn't happened to me in the other games I've played; KZ:SF, Resogun, Flower, and Outlast.

Games hasn't crashed on me on XB1 and I've fast traveled from and to the beach several times.

Melchiah

Games hasn't crashed on me on XB1 and I've fast traveled from and to the beach several times.

Did it crash during the jump to helicopter, and have you completed the beach part?

EDIT: I had almost completed the beach, when the crash occurred. Long after the fast travel back there.

I'm about to finish my 2nd playthrough on PS4. I love this game. It has IMO the best 3rd Person controls ever. Such a bliss to control Lara. Graphically it's, I dare to say, the most impressive game on next gen so far. Not even Killzone can beat this overall. Only part of the game I don't really like is Shantytown. The rest is just amazing. What a great game. Should hav rated it better in the GOTY thread.

100 percented! Such a great game. XB1 version looks absolutely beautiful. Some of those weather effects are amazing!

Also the Kinect stuff is quite limited, but I can't deny, examining objects by moving your hand is really quite cool.

The game drew me in on almost every evening after its release, which is pretty rare for me as I usually only play few days a week, but after the crash bug that corrupted my 80% save file, I find that I have no interest to continue playing it. The idea of replaying 11% of the game feels such a chore, that I feel like giving up on it altogether. Especially as there's no guarantee it won't crash again, and wipe away another chunk of my playthrough. I just hate repetition, and doing something again unneccessarily. It strips away all the enjoyment of playing the game. Too bad, as I was really enjoying the game up until that point. It's absolutely unacceptable to release a product in this kind of state (EDIT: They probably rushed the release, and cut some corners on QA, to get it out during the drought, before the big names hit the next gen systems), and the publisher should definitely face repercussions for it. At least offer a compensation for those affected by the issue. I guess I won't be buying their games again.
I'm about to start the game. Does this happen to everyone? Should i wait?

I had a crash on a scene when you get in a helicopter. It reloaded fine though.

PS+ save backups at least means you only lose a day which isn't too bad (well unless you hammered the game for an entire day and then it died!)

I mix up the three save files too, just in case. I've learnt the hard way with games in the past so its just standard practice for me now :/

Anyway, the game is absolutely brilliant, I am having an awesome time with it. We just need them to make Soul Reaver next! :)

Melchiah

I had a crash on a scene when you get in a helicopter. It reloaded fine though.

PS+ save backups at least means you only lose a day which isn't too bad (well unless you hammered the game for an entire day and then it died!)

Same here with the helicopter scene. The crash, that corrupted the save happened afterwards, towards the end of the Shipwreck Beach section.

I had over a day's worth of progress wiped out, as I hadn't used another save slot in a while. Almost the whole beach part, including all the optional sidequests, went there. Hours of work for nothing.

No Love

Banned
I'm about to finish my 2nd playthrough on PS4. I love this game. It has IMO the best 3rd Person controls ever. Such a bliss to control Lara. Graphically it's, I dare to say, the most impressive game on next gen so far. Not even Killzone can beat this overall. Only part of the game I don't really like is Shantytown. The rest is just amazing. What a great game. Should hav rated it better in the GOTY thread.

Yeah, no, sorry. Im playing Tomb Raider right now for the first time on PC at 3200x1800 maxed out with 2xSSAA (so it looks like a moving bullshot) and I still think Shadow Fall is more technically impressive.

kyser73

Yeah, no, sorry. Im playing Tomb Raider right now for the first time on PC at 3200x1800 maxed out with 2xSSAA (so it looks like a moving bullshot) and I still think Shadow Fall is more technically impressive.

I think they're both stunning TBH. My PC was good for gaming when I built it about 5 years ago, but I've been pretty much console only since the Mega Drive for gaming generally, and both represent a real uplift for me in terms of fidelity.

The main thing tho? Being able to see small movement in the distance and know what it is, or recognising an object for what it is instead of guessing!

Finaika

They really should patch this asap.

jwk94

So I just beat the game with all of the caches, documents, and trophy things collected but I didn't get the No Stone Left Unturned trophy. Does anybody know what I did wrong? This didn't happen to me on the PS3 or PC versions.

Put my XB1 version to the 360 version, wow they did a good job. I personally think this is a great game and look forward to what the sequel brings, should look stunning at least.

JoeFenix

So I just beat the game with all of the caches, documents, and trophy things collected but I didn't get the No Stone Left Unturned trophy. Does anybody know what I did wrong? This didn't happen to me on the PS3 or PC versions.

Are you sure you completed the Cliffside Bunker? It doesn't show up on the fast travel menu, you can reach it from Shipwreck beach.

It's the area that leads into the Endurance.

Pinbot

Banned
FInished it on Xbone. Still enjoyable even though I already played it on 360.

I thought I cared about graphics, but the visual upgrade didn't change much for me. I mean, I didn't notice it that much when I was playing through, apart from epic hair shininess. I was obviously more focused on gameplay.

I don't know if I'll be buying more Uber HD remakes in future. Maybe something like Skyrim.

I thought I cared about graphics, but the visual upgrade didn't change much for me. I mean, I didn't notice it that much when I was playing through, apart from epic hair shininess. I was obviously more focused on gameplay.

I don't know if I'll be buying more Uber HD remakes in future. Maybe something like Skyrim.

I would suggest trying to have the 360 version on - then switch to Xone input. Problem is, we are very quickly able to adjust to new display standards. It's only when you switch back that you see the difference.

At least that is my experience with the PS3 -> PS4 experience.

thatJohann

Beautiful game on PS4. I said wow.
Bf_1SNFIUAAcsmx.jpg:orig

Hurley

Finally got around to picking this up, finished it already on PC but I never got 100% and I've become a trophy whore now so even more reason to grab it.

Sweet jesus does this game look gorgeous, has some frame dips occasionally but nothing too bad, they did an excellent job with the port imo.

If there's one issue I do have it's the aim sensitivity doesn't go high enough, like when in combat and I'm turning to shoot a guy that ran past me it turns too slow even at max. Anyone else having that issue or is it just me?

Got the platinum last night. Just in time so that I can dive straight into Lightning Returns as soon as it arrives tomorrow.

Multiplayer in this game is shit, and I hope they don't do MP for the sequel, although I'm sure that's wishful thinking.

mrJared

Banned

That's why most are buying and enjoying the hell out of it on their PS4 because of the added gameplay benefits of a higher frame rate. Combat sections are much more fun and fluid.

So I can totally see why if you bought if for the xbone, you'd be left a little underwhelmed after the graphical shine wore off.

Lima

That's why most are buying and enjoying the hell out of it on their PS4 because of the added gameplay benefits of a higher frame rate. Combat sections are much more fun and fluid.

So I can totally see why if you bought if for the xbone, you'd be left a little underwhelmed after the graphical shine wore off.

This is a real post.

jedimike

Playing for first time on XB1. Playing this and Uncharted on Vita makes me realize how much I really enjoy these types of games. The combination of moderate action and moderate puzzles with solid storyline and visuals are a feast for the gamer in me.

If the XB1 visuals peaked with this game, they'd be good enough for me.

Montresor

This is a real post.

Lol.

One thing I will always admit - the PS4 is clearly more powerful, and the PS4 version of definitive edition is the better version thanks to its extra bells & whistles and frame rate. But there is no "graphical shine" that "wears off". The game looks beautiful, even on XB1.

Just starting playing this (PS4). I'm only in the beginning of the game (just found my buddies), but i like itt hus far. I realise the game hasn't even started really.

I do hink the hair looks really really weird most of the time. Sometimes it looks natural, but mostly it just looks weird and not following the rules of physics.
Graphics look good, but you can still sense this game wasn't made for this gen from the ground up. It's pretty though and i like the environments. lLara looks good but sometimes she really lacks expression.

Anyway, i hope at the game will really pick up soon. I like the quicktime events in this game, by the way.

x-Lundz-x

Is the mp good and played by a lot of people on ps4 ?

Nope, it's terrible actually. Such an amazing single player game with a totally unnecessary MP experience. I mean, it can be fun for all of about 30 mins and then you will be tired of it. I did actually grind out the Platinum trophy last night but you are not going to get it in any fun way by simply playing the multiplayer. My buddy and I played together and ground out the trophies for all the game modes and kill trophies, then we just boosted for xp in private free for all.

If you want to boost to level 60, get two people and play on underground for 20 mins, 100 kill max. Both play survivors and have a grenade launcher. You meet in the middle of the map and kill each other at the same time with the grenade launcher. You get all kinds of bonus xp per kill. My buddy and I were getting up to 75-80 kills each per 20 mins and about 100k XP per round. Was nice to finally be done with that last night.

Got the platinum last night. Just in time so that I can dive straight into Lightning Returns as soon as it arrives tomorrow.

Multiplayer in this game is shit, and I hope they don't do MP for the sequel, although I'm sure that's wishful thinking.
How much of a pain in the ass are the mp trophies?

So this has officially become the OT as the new, amusing thread title implies so sometime tonight I will try to update it. Or perhaps that happened days ago and I just noticed :D

No and no. Nobody likes to play TR's MP on any system.

Nope, it's terrible actually. Such an amazing single player game with a totally unnecessary MP experience. I mean, it can be fun for all of about 30 mins and then you will be tired of it. I did actually grind out the Platinum trophy last night but you are not going to get it in any fun way by simply playing the multiplayer. My buddy and I played together and ground out the trophies for all the game modes and kill trophies, then we just boosted for xp in private free for all.

If you want to boost to level 60, get two people and play on underground for 20 mins, 100 kill max. Both play survivors and have a grenade launcher. You meet in the middle of the map and kill each other at the same time with the grenade launcher. You get all kinds of bonus xp per kill. My buddy and I were getting up to 75-80 kills each per 20 mins and about 100k XP per round. Was nice to finally be done with that last night.

Guess i'll be waiting for MGO or uncharted to get my 3th person MP fix :(

How much of a pain in the ass are the mp trophies?

I'm all That is the most annoying, because you need to win ranked matches in Multiplayer. It will become even more annoying as time passes and the multiplayer starts to die, although it shoudl always be boostable. For me the worst part is that I'm horrible at multiplayer, and there's no way in hell i was ever going to win a FFA match on my own. If you can get 3-4 of your friends in the same Ranked Match with you though, should be do-able.

True Commitment is the most grueling, because it requires a torturous grind of about 9 hours solo, running back and forth in a private Rescue match, by yourself, doing exactly the same thing for 9 hours. If you can find another person then you can use the grenade method mentioned above and potentially shave off 2-3 hours.

ZeroAKA

I just finished the elevator puzzle at the Research Base and now I can't progress any further. Every time I jump down the elevator shaft (see screenshot), Lara immediately dies. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

tanod

when is my burrito
I just finished the elevator puzzle at the Research Base and now I can't progress any further. Every time I jump down the elevator shaft (see screenshot), Lara immediately dies. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

I just saw a stream of this part and don't have the game but I believe there are stairs around the outside of the elevator shaft. Go down the stairs? Push the button for the elevator?

inm8num2

Seems to be a glitch, as once you crash the elevator to the bottom level you should be able to hop down. Not entirely sure, though.

Top Bottom