• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Andrew.

Banned
Thank god its coming out tomorrow, or rather less than six hours for you Steamers.

I think its funny/great how this thread has just been all over the place with various game discussion. Somehow all relating to TR.

So good.

Andrew.

Banned
I've found this to be true in real life.

3879_-_animated_gif_chuck_norris_dodgeball_thumbs_up.gif

And Im the same way and I know exactly why.

I played them back to back. 1 first and then 2.

By 2 I was kind of burned out which dampened my enjoyment out of it.

I played it again over the summer and I still felt the same way.

For me it's 1>3>2

Fuck, you guys are gonna kill me...

Bend over, Andrew...

Seriously, though, I completely understand the 'being burnt out' and the 'over-familiarity' that you experienced with UC2; heck, I experienced it with TR thanks to the UC series and the last time I played any of them was when UC3 was released...

That being said, UC2 is the objectively better game on all accounts. Mechanically, it refined everything that was in UC1 and UC3 took that and more or less shat on all of it.

RagnarokX

Is it just me or is Lara a fucking arsonist? Fire solves everything, EVERYTHING. Often she doesn't even know what she is doing "so... What now? Oh yeah, let me put even more fire under here to crash it all down so i can just on it!"

Now come on, that's not even remotely true... she also shoots.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Bend over, Andrew...

Seriously, though, I completely understand the 'being burnt out' and the 'over-familiarity' that you experienced with UC2; heck, I experienced it with TR thanks to the UC series and the last time I played any of them was when UC3 was released...

That being said, UC2 is the objectively better game on all accounts. Mechanically, it refined everything that was in UC1 and UC3 took that and more or less shat on all of it.

Unfortunately you're objectively wrong. Fact. Good day, sir.

I liked these games back in the PSone days very much and i am actually interested in picking this up.

What version is better than the other? 360 or PS3

I own both but not really sure and it would save me some time .

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I liked these games back in the PSone days very much and i am actually interested in picking this up.

What version is better than the other?

I'd go with the Saturn version, personally.

Replicant

Is it just me or is Lara a fucking arsonist? Fire solves everything, EVERYTHING. Often she doesn't even know what she is doing "so... What now? Oh yeah, let me put even more fire under here to crash it all down so i can just on it!"

Hey, do you want to protect her or not?

If you do then man up and be an arsonist for her.

mandiller

Really enjoying the game so far. Graphics are pretty great and the atmosphere is really intense.

One thing the game does perfectly is the on-screen UI. There's no on-screen UI unless you need it. i.e. you draw the string of a bow back and your arrow count shows up in the corner of the screen.

Andrew.

Banned
Damn, they made a Tomb Raider for Saturn? Or is that a joke? Did they make one for Dreamcast too?

Serious questions.

And yes, the less crap there is on the screen the better.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

What version is better than the other?

Short story is we don't know for sure until the Digital Foundry comparison comes out. If you can wait until then, that's your best bet.

Long story, I spent a bunch of time over the weekend researching this since I wanted to put in a pre-order, and it seems that Crystal Dynamics handled the 360 version and Nixxes ported it to the PS3. However, Nixxes is damn good at what they do and in most of the Tomb Raider games they've ported in the past (Underworld etc.) the PS3 version actually looks sharper. However, the engine used in this version is not based on that old engine, but rather on the engine used in Deus Ex Human Revolution. In that game the two systems looked and performed almost identically, but the PS3 version was slightly sharper since it used MLAA, whereas the 360 version was slightly blurrier due to its use of FXAA. The 360 version did end up having less jaggies than the PS3 version though.

So like I said, wait for DF if you can. I'm personally getting the PS3 version because I would rather have a sharper image with a few jaggies here and there, rather than a slightly blurry image all the time with no jaggies.

Dahbomb

Uncharted 3 is the worst of the 3 UC games easily. First two is debatable as the focus is a bit different but UC2 is at the very least a respectable sequel.

To me UC games have always been 8/10 caliber games. Top level presentation but forgettable and easy mode game play.

Andrew.

Banned
Uncharted 3 is the worst of the 3 UC games easily. First two is debatable as the focus is a bit different but UC2 is at the very least a respectable sequel.

To me UC games have always been 8/10 caliber games. Top level presentation but forgettable and easy mode game play.

The characters in the Uncharted franchise and the casts acting ability along with the mo cap and facial animations make most forget about the throwaway and if i may be so bold, rudimentary gunplay. I had more fun taking guys on hand to hand and in UC3 thats practically what the devs were begging for you to do.

Dahbomb

The characters in the Uncharted franchise and the casts acting ability along with the mo cap and facial animations make most forget about the throwaway and if i may be so bold, rudimentary gunplay. I had more fun taking guys on hand to hand and in UC3 thats practically what the devs were begging for you to do.
That goes without saying. UC is still the king in terms of presentation of cutscenes and set pieces which is why it gets respect from me. Its still a technical achievement not every game can emulate that without a big budget and its really only TR that has emulated that formula well. It should be noted that a UC caliber experience was not present on the PC or Xbox so for a lot of gamers this would be a new experience.

One thing that I did love about the game was the persistency of weapons. The bow, for example, becomes more than a weapon; it becomes your companion.

More games need to do this with their arsenals.

Thai

Bane was better.
A couple pics

tombraider_2013_03_05kkp4s.jpg

TressFX looks kind of rough imo. And the bit where Lara was hanging. Her fringe was impervious to the effects of gravity. Not cool AMD

God her breasts are magnificent. I would motor boat them blood, mud and all.

Top Bottom