• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

despire

I was intending on waiting for a sale on this but Amazon sells this for 40€ (PS3). Is it worth it? The video review in the OP was kinda negative. I've been reading the thread and many people are talking how amazing the game is. Please sell me on the game :p

ref

So I start OpenVPN/new zealand, then open up steam, says still "pre-load, not unlocked" - what am i doing wrong?

Are you sure you're connected? Check the Network tab in the taskbar, there should be 2 connections you're currently connected to if you successfully connected.

I used the same VPN to unlock the game and it worked fine for me.

Other than that, the only other thing I could think of is you had Steam open when doing this, but you already mentioned that you started Steam afterwords, so can't be that.

I also imagine you installed the program correctly, putting the config file where it needs to go, ect... so that's strange if it's not working for you.

RagnarokX

Form an opinion all you want. Most people do. But when it verges into the territory of being invested in a game turning out poorly. Wishing it would get bad reviews. Poor sales. Then it becomes laughable. Don't like the move the franchise made? Sorry, play something else. Why shit on a game for something that it's not trying to be in it's OT? This is the Tomb Raider game they chose to make. No amount of hand-wringing is going to change that. We get it, you wanted something else. Too bad. What they gave us was this and by the sounds of it, from reviewers and gamers alike, they delivered something really special.

Discussion isn't just for people that agree on everything. Stifling a valid viewpoint is bad whether that viewpoint is in favor of or against a game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was intending on waiting for a sale on this but Amazon sells this for 40€ (PS3). Is it worth it? The video review in the OP was kinda negative. I've been reading the thread and many people are talking how amazing the game is. Please sell me on the game :p

Apparently it's better than Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2 combined.

Or something.

So I start OpenVPN/new zealand, then open up steam, says still "pre-load, not unlocked" - what am i doing wrong?

I've just done it, unlocking it now. Check http://incloak.com/ip/ it should say you're in New Zealand. If not, you've gone wrong somewhere. Make sure you close Steam, run OpenVPN as Admin, make sure it connects to NZ (tray item will have 2 green screens), then load Steam up. It should then update TR and begin unlocking.

x-Lundz-x

So guys here, do you think this is going to be a big hit in sales from your impressions playing and the vibe? I reckon it will be the most successful for the first half of this year.

Despite the hate from some people here, the game has received almost universal praise and has tons of buzz. It should hopefully do very well.

*Mine just shipped yay!*

Despite the hate from some people here, the game has received almost universal praise and has tons of buzz. It should hopefully do very well.

*Mine just shipped yay!*

Not to mention that Tomb Raider is a much more established brand than Hitman or any of the other recent 'flops'.

(I say 'flops' because I'm not sure how they actually did at retail)

Lara Croft is a household name.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Where is New Zealand on Open VPN? I can't see it anywhere haha. Can someone PM and help please :)

sleepykyo

The deuce:

gangbusters plural of gang·bust·er (Noun)
Noun
1. A police officer or other person who takes part in breaking up criminal gangs.
2. Very successful, esp. commercially: "the restaurant did a gangbuster business".

Let me rephrase that.

Do you mean gangbusters as in exceeds SquareEnix's projections?
Do you mean over 2M? Over 3M?

Some quantifiable number.

Seronei

The fuck, just completed my preload and now it started over from 0% again, I guess I won't be using my internet for another 4 hours.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait..new Starcraft game is coming out this month? Maybe TR will be pushed to #3 then.

RoKKeR

Well, its been decided. TR has been pushed to the rental block, picking up Sim City instead. I totally forgot about SimCity but for me personally, I feel that it will be a much more worthwhile investment.

I'll still run out and rent TR tomorrow as I'm eager to play it, but SimCity is what I'll be buying tomorrow.

DrBo42

Man. I can't believe I'm saying this but so far this game is actually better than Uncharted 2.

Yes. 2.

Holy shit.

Yep. Gameplay wise I much prefer it over UC. I just wish the narrative and writing were stronger. Pretty amazing start to a rebooted franchise, well done SE.

Dahbomb

TR would probably do less than SC2 and Sim City but better than Bioshock. Don't know how it will so against God of War. Isn't there also a new Gears of War game coming?

TR should still do well. The initial reveal got people generally hyped and the marketing for the game has been turned on full force along with very solid reviews.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Sim City? Sim City gonna bomb hard. I still have 2k installed, why would I ever get another Sim City?

antitrop

I'm not on the pulse of the Gears franchise, but does anyone give a shit about Judgment?

I'm sure it will sell fine, but I don't see it being a smash.

Bricky

Sim City? Sim City gonna bomb hard. I still have 2k installed, why would I ever get another Sim City?

You not wanting the game =/= othere people not wanting the game. Sim City will sell like hotcakes.

Tomb Raider will also do fine, at least good enough for a sequel anyway. It is still a pretty famous brand even though the last few games were mediocre AND it's getting pretty good reviews and word of mouth atm.

sleepykyo

TR would probably do less than SC2 and Sim City but better than Bioshock. Don't know how it will so against God of War. Isn't there also a new Gears of War game coming?

TR should still do well. The initial reveal got people generally hyped and the marketing for the game has been turned on full force along with very solid reviews.

The initial campaign was nearly thrown off track, but they did rebound rather nicely. I doubt it'll suffer the same fate DmC did. It'll probably go on to do higher numbers than Underworld.

Dahbomb

I'm not on the pulse of the Gears franchise, but does anyone give a shit about Judgment?

I'm sure it will sell fine, but I don't see it being a smash.
Well I haven't given a shit about Gears since GoW3 but it's hard to say how the sales pan out for the game. It's obvious that it will perform lower than the other GoW games.

completely off topic but Giantbomb is doing a live quick look of Sim City and the tiny city maps are a real bummer (at least to me personally)

Dahbomb

The initial campaign was nearly thrown off track, but they did rebound rather nicely. I doubt it'll suffer the same fate DmC did. It'll probably go on to do higher numbers than Underworld.
TRs last best selling game was nearly two decades ago and at least half a dozen games apart. DMC's best selling game was its most recent one and not even 5 years had passed since then. To say that Capcom pulled the reboot card too early for DMC would be an understatement.

Berto

I'm enjoying so far, nice action and pretty visuals. Don't like the XP system and all the hand holding though. Couple of screens:
D17C8FBED8F43082AB00B384E1E2A0FA954C9B16

7BDFBFE4DEC89939384ED8D1CE7D377282590711

Caramuru

Neo Member
I've just finished the game and I can say I am amazed. Good story, good gameplay and excelent graphics.

This new TR is not as good as Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 (wich is a masterpiece BTW), but I really think it's better than Uncharted 3, just because it's a better paced game.

Now I'm really excited to try the multiplayer.

Caramuru

Neo Member
Well Uncharted 3 is pretty crap so I would hope it would be better.

Well, I liked UC3. It was just... disappointing when compared to its predecessors, specially UC2. I think that's because I/we was/were expecting a lot from UC3 after UC2. With Tomb Raider, it was the opposite: I wasn't expecting much from it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I thought UC3 took everything that was good about UC2 - a good story, seamless and narrative-based transitions from one level to the next, and thoughtful encounter design - and threw it all out the window in favor of larger-than-life set pieces, most of which fell flat. The cruise ship was boring and pointless in the grand scheme of the plot, the desert felt like I was just holding forward on the analog stick for 10 minutes, and beating some of the areas on Crushing was a fucking pain in the ass (cruise ship ballroom fight, horseback chase, and the caverns leading up to the final confrontation come to mind).

If Tomb Raider isn't better than UC3 then I've been seriously fleeced.

Top Bottom