• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

This game is buggy as shit. It's literally frozen my computer three times.
And now I'm worried about how my dual radeon 6950s will deal with this. In general, if there is anything that could go wrong, it will. That and my slow hard drive tends to run into stutter issues with open worldish games.

Ceebs

Put a few hours into the PC version now and it is pretty much darker and broodier Uncharted, no questions asked.

On the upside, since I get to play with M/KB I do not want to throw things at my monitor everytime I need to shoot things.

UC1>UC2. Come at me.

ohmrjpp.gif

spirity

UC1>UC2. Come at me.

Don't start showing out or I'll come at you fast like a northern bullet. I'll put a move on you, you won't know whats happening. I've got new powerful moves. They arrived this morning, first post. The post that hurts the most. I'll take you out for a meal with Mr and Mrs Pain, order up some violent quiche.

I've just finished the game and I can say I am amazed. Good story, good gameplay and excelent graphics.

This new TR is not as good as Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 (wich is a masterpiece BTW), but I really think it's better than Uncharted 3, just because it's a better paced game.

Now I'm really excited to try the multiplayer.

The game is unequivocally better than UC3, which was a complete regression on all fronts. Dat aiming.

"Good" story, though? I thought it was effin' idiotic, but then again, I think that of 90% of video game stories. Devs just don't focus on that these days, nor should they, I guess. It is a game after all (Heavy Rain and LA Noire, I'm looking at you, you pieces of poo).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Those having problems on PC, what resolution are you running?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
How does it look on 360? Jaggy-fest, good enough, excelent...?

Apparently it's slightly blurrier than the PS3 version due to the anti-aliasing used, but that's based on YouTube comparison videos. I haven't played either, but people who have say they both look great.

ViviOggi

"Good" story, though? I thought it was effin' idiotic, but then again, I think that of 90% of video game stories. Devs just don't focus on that these days, nor should they, I guess. It is a game after all (Heavy Rain and LA Noire, I'm looking at you, you pieces of poo).

If they don't focus on making the story worthwhile they also shouldn't be shoving it down peoples' throats via cutscenes and scripted events. There's a place for both narrative- and mechanics-driven games, but you should have a good reason for taking away control from the player at any given time.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I agree with you completely. UC2 is incredibly overrated and its campaign drags on and on and on like an irritating screaming child who refuses to stop screaming until he damn well feels like stopping.

And then.. blue monsters. Ugh. /brofist

DieH@rd

Banned
So far I'm moderately enjoying it. The visuals for PC are quite beautiful, however I am disappointed that TressFX takes such a massive hit on framerate. As others have said, it can look pretty wonky at times, but it can also look amazing. Game runs smooth as butter maxed without it on a 670, but I think it's worth the hit to leave TressFX on.

The 'PC Features' article sold me on this, got it for $24 on GMG with discount and credit a couple days ago.

I wonder if they will release a patch or something for it, or if it's just that demanding.

TressFX was obviousley more optimized for Radeon users. They dont have very large performance hit [their GPU has more Direct Compute capabilities] and there are no bugs [flickering, ignoring shoulders].

I think that you will get bugflix for that flickering, but preformance hit will stay because nVidia cards did not focus this time much on DC.

Thank you! I think it'll take a while to download it, maybe tomorrow only (20mbps).

With 20mbits you can download more than 6-7 gigs per hour if the server has that much bandwith. :D

Adamm

Got this game for UK PS3 today, loving it so far. Although I find myself obsessed with finding treasure - much more than I was in uncharted.
Maybe cause they are split into catagories, like 1/5 in one area rather than 1/160 overall like in uncharted.

DieH@rd

Banned
Got this game for UK PS3 today, loving it so far. Although I find myself obsessed with finding treasure - much more than I was in uncharted.
Maybe cause they are split into catagories, like 1/5 in one area rather than 1/160 overall like in uncharted.

Arkham City was insane with its secrets... 2/7465468 Riddler Challenges complete.

Arkham City was insane with its secrets... 2/7465468 Riddler Challenges complete.
Just settled into some quality time with Arkham City in the past week, and its now in my top 5 games of the generation. Fucking amazing, stellar game.

Going from Arkham to Moany McMurder-lass is going to be... interesting.

Fabrik

Banned
Played for a bit more than one hour. Gorgeous game and superb animations. The landscapes and atmosphere are great . Even though I knew the first hour I still enjoyed it a lot simply because Lara is a joy to control. I've only played Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 2's demo but so far the controls are a lot better in Tomb Raider. Simply jumping is fun. Being able to control your character mid-jump should be mandatory. Plus, while still early I can already see there's actual exploration here. Small hubs > Corridors.

Andrew.

Banned
UC1>UC2. Come at me.

And Im the same way and I know exactly why.

I played them back to back. 1 first and then 2.

By 2 I was kind of burned out which dampened my enjoyment out of it.

I played it again over the summer and I still felt the same way.

For me it's 1>3>2

Fuck, you guys are gonna kill me...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Youre fuckin nuts dude =P

I had my friend knock out all that augmented reality flying shit. Way too frustrating for the last two.

Er..what? The augmented flying was like flying a plane in Diddy Kong racing. Insanely easy. The entire plat was easy. The hardest time I had was lining up some of the ?'s for the detective mode picture. It sucked that they basically repeated the challenge maps twice. Pretty meh plat.

In comparison though, Tomb Raider looks like it will be even easier, just with some mp fun involved.

And Im the same way and I know exactly why.

I played them back to back. 1 first and then 2.

By 2 I was kind of burned out which dampened my enjoyment out of it.

I played it again over the summer and I still felt the same way.

For me it's 1>3>2

I didn't exactly play it back to back, about 6 months apart, but I had essentially the same reason. Why I purposely spaced out Infamous 2 and only played it this past week. And I thought that was shit compared to 1 as well lol. Also why I've purposely put off UC3 until now. Especially with that copy and paste trophy list. Same. fucking. game. If I got TR it'd be to fill the void of UC3.

antitrop

For me it's 1>3>2

We're about to witness a NeoGAF crucifixion.

I have little opinion about the Uncharted franchise, though. I beat 1 at release and thought it was pretty decent. Got bored of 2 halfway through, and wasn't even cognitively aware that a third game existed until long after it came out.

Just never really did anything for me.

Andrew.

Banned
We're about to witness a NeoGAF crucifixion.

Nooooooooooooo lol

There is one thing I like about Uncharted 2 above the others and it isnt a Chapter or weapon or enemy. It's a cutscene. The one where Drake and Elena are up in the mountains and Nate is totally ready to throw in the towel. It's a real "Fuck this, I'm going home" type of scene and the other two games never showed this side of him. Loved that part.

mxgt

Banned
My game is crashing every 30 feet. I'm installing the latest beta-driver, but it sounds like this is a common theme. My 680 should own this.

disable tessellation

this game looks glorious on pc, i'm close to eating crow about the game, it's actually quite good.

Is it just me or is Lara a fucking arsonist? Fire solves everything, EVERYTHING. Often she doesn't even know what she is doing "so... What now? Oh yeah, let me put even more fire under here to crash it all down so i can just on it!"

Zeth

Loving the game so far! Exploring is great, and I've been doing a lot of it. Jumping is well done and love that you can control your direction mid-air. Started using a 360 controller, but aiming/bow-murder started to become more common so I've switched to KB+M and I find it controls rather well that way.

Top Bottom