• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Trilogy |OT| The Crystal Dynamics Collection

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is any of the making of stuff going to be subtitled or have the option to turn subtitles on for it? I loved that Naughty Dog did that for their documentaries for Uncharted 1 and 2 would double dip on all of the games (since I already have them on 360/PS3) for the making of stuff if I could understand/"hear" it.

Otherwise I'll just stick with my single copy of Underworld on PS3 and Legend/Anni on 360.

is there auto aim or aim assist?

Auto-aim.

>>TR2... hard<<

lol wut. The auto-aim there picked closest enemy. Sure, in multiple battles it was a bit of a clusterfuck and annoying to deal with but it never hindered the game. Stay on the move, basically.

ssowinski

I fucking love Tomb Raider, if this had included Lara Croft LoG this would be a better deal than the Mighty Orange Box.

Got mine ready to be picked up tomorrow. Never played these so it'll be something new.

I also think in this manner. Looking at my Orange Box right now (still never played through it)

Game Guru

AbsoluteZero said:
It'd be nice if this was available on the 360. I haven't played any of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games but I'd love to be able to pick 'em all up in one fell swoop.

I got all three on 360 for $30 total. However, if I did own a PS3, this would definitely be one of the collections I would buy. I have liked the Tomb Raider series ever since the PS1.

Ellis Kim

Banned
jiggle said:
is there auto aim or aim assist?
the last TR i played was TR2 and the shooting was hard :X
Although I've forgotten how their aim assist is (I'm pretty darn certain it has a lock-on function), I just want to reiterate that of the 3 games, Anniversary has the best combat system, period.

The adrenaline leap was fucking perfect. You could make just the-most-epic dodges or backward leaps for one-hit kills. So good.

And then they went and ruined it in Underworld. Stupid tigers...

Didn't even know this was so soon. Recently bought and beat Guardian of Light, and while it's nothing alike, playing is Lara again has me thinking about raiding some tombs.

DonMigs85

The version of Underworld here is exactly the same as the standalone one, right?
I already also have Anniversary on PC, so I don't wanna get it just for Legend.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Probably. That'd be pretty darn awesome if they did.

...but it would suck really freaking hard if the teaser was as teasy as Sly collection's as well :/

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I will definitely look up for this, especially with that MSRP.

Hanmik

Damn.. these are the 3 Tomb Raider games I never played (played the 1 hour freebie of Underworld via my PSN+ subscribtion and LOVED it..) .. do they also launch in LALA-land ehh Euro-land..? if so when..? I really do not like the idea of importing..

Ellis Kim

Banned
Hanmik said:
Damn.. these are the 3 Tomb Raider games I never played (played the 1 hour freebie of Underworld via my PSN+ subscribtion and LOVED it..) .. do they also launch in LALA-land ehh Euro-land..? if so when..? I really do not like the idea of importing..
3 days in PAL land

£24.99
€29,98

Or something along those lines. I have no idea how european pricing is, so if someone wants me to edit the real MSRP into the OP, pleaes give me something to copy/paste.

Agyar

Already played Legend and Underworld on 360, so I'm not so inclined to buy this pack. That said, I always intended to play Anniversary so I might just pick that up on 360 and give it a whirl as this has reminded me how much I enjoyed the other two.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Agyar said:
Already played Legend and Underworld on 360, so I'm not so inclined to buy this pack. That said, I always intended to play Anniversary so I might just pick that up on 360 and give it a whirl as this has reminded me how much I enjoyed the other two.

Regardless of system, Anniversary is a must. Such a fantastic game, with amazing atmosphere.

AEREC

The only way I would purchase this is if they got rid of the framerate issues that plagued the 360 version of Anniversary.

UrbanRats

I got all three games for 360 AND PC(on steam).
Though i have no 360 anymore so, is there a graphical upgrade from the PC versions?I mean, maybe they've pushed the lighting and stuff?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wonder if Legend and Anniversary got the normal map / better flashlight treatment from X360 / PC versions, which weren't there on PS2.

Budr

Stallion Free said:
They should be apart from resolution and possibly framerate.

From what I remember, the original PS3 release of Underworld (which presumably is what is on this disc?) suffered terribly from framerate drops. Can't speak to the ports of the other two, obviously.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
rvy said:
That's the most important stuff in my book.
Then go with PC. It's got excellent 360 pad support (rumble + button prompts) for all 3 games and you can have a locked 60 fps + 1080p + 8xAA or higher on very moderate hardware. I can guarantee you won't get that on these ports.

rvy

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Then go with PC. It's got excellent 360 pad support (rumble + button prompts) for all 3 games and you can have a locked 60 fps + 1080p + 8xAA or higher on very moderate hardware. I can guarantee you won't get that on these ports.
Oh, I know you can. Except I don't have neither knowledge nor money to improve my rig right now. I can run most games, but the more recent ones at appalling resolutions and with no AA. I can get the first Crysis to run at 1024, everything on medium, no AA. It's ridiculously pathetic.
Definitely not going to buy next-gen consoles.

i'm happy these games are getting more exposure. i lost interest in Legend when it went all
tesla factory
on me, but the other two i really enjoyed.

i just, i mean, i have to shake my head at that 'newly remastered in high definition' bit on the box though. they were ALWAYS in high definition from day one. remastered. what bunk.

great games though! enjoy your trophies :)

Does anyone know if they fixed some of the bugs in this re-release of underworld? Specifically the game crashing bug at the last boss and the graphical bugs in some of the levels (there was a rock texture in the area you first fight Tigers that for me stretched out of the water and across the stage so far I died thinking it was a zip line lol)

DonMigs85

rvy said:
Oh, I know you can. Except I don't have neither knowledge nor money to improve my rig right now. I can run most games, but the more recent ones at appalling resolutions and with no AA. I can get the first Crysis to run at 1024, everything on medium, no AA. It's ridiculously pathetic.
Definitely not going to buy next-gen consoles.
What are your specs? You should be able to exceed console graphics quality and performance with at least a GeForce 8600 or Radeon 2600. Anything at 8800 level or above should have no issues with 60FPS/1080p.

protonion

I bought a pal copy for 25 euros today!

-There is already a 12 mb patch.
-Three sets of trophies.
-A nice remix of the original menu theme plays when you select a game. What a nice melody! It's been so many years since I heared it. sniff
-From each title screen you can return to the game selection screen.
-Content wise everything seems to be there, though I've only played Anniversery...
-Everything looks nice and clean, however anyone expecting GoW collection's smoothness is going to be disappointed... It's not bad, but you can't blame someone who wants 60 fps from a last gen hd port.

ssowinski

Got mine today but have to wait until tonite to play it. Darn kids!

Going to play Anniversary first, then Legends and Underworld. That's the correct order right?

sublimit

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
I'm new to Tomb Raider, is it any good?
Tomb Raider Anniversary is made of pure awesome. Take PS1-era volume and polish in design and content, and apply a new-gen skin and high-caliber production values. The only game worth getting the Trilogy for. Its combat system is the best of the collection, as well.

.......wow.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
RobertM said:
I said "wow" to because these nextgen Tomb Raiders are nothing like the original from the adventure aspect down to action.
You do know what Anniversary is, right?

sublimit

Banned
Dice said:
You do know what Anniversary is, right?

It was advertised and promoted as a remake of the original and not as a re-imagining as you probably believe so.Unfortunately it had absolutely nothing to do with it.
They butchered whole levels and sections,made it incredibly linear,changed the script into a hollywood melodrama and added a retarded gimmick (which they never bothered to explain properly how it worked) to its combat.

I don't have an issue whether people like it or not but to connect it with a hallmark game like the first TR is really an insult to the original developers.

Game Guru

RobertM said:
I said "wow" too because these nextgen Tomb Raiders are nothing like the original from the adventure aspect down to action.

I've played the original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II and both really show their age at this point to me because of the D-Pad controls. I really can't play any PS1 Classic outside of 2D sprite games and RPGs anymore because of my preference for the analog stick for 3D games now. I much prefer the gameplay of the new Tomb Raiders.

gdt

Fuck it, picked it up anyway. I'll put these in the rotation soon as I finish a game in there. Should be Vanquish.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone's interested in how the collection's version of TRA looks in relation to the PC version, I took some screenshots when I reached the spots in the comparison images.

For reference, PC version was running on highest settings but at 720p.

rvy

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
What are your specs? You should be able to exceed console graphics quality and performance with at least a GeForce 8600 or Radeon 2600. Anything at 8800 level or above should have no issues with 60FPS/1080p.
GT230, 8 GB of RAM, i5-750 at 2,67Ghz. It's pretty bad for gaming.

UrbanRats

ExMachina said:
If anyone's interested in how the collection's version of TRA looks in relation to the PC version, I took some screenshots when I reached the spots in the comparison images.

For reference, PC version was running on highest settings but at 720p.
THANK YOU!

Top Bottom