• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Trilogy |OT| The Crystal Dynamics Collection

kliklik

Banned
Oh my GOD this game is glitchy.

For TR Legend:

• "The Biggest Bang for the Buck" trophy just wouldn't unlock. I blew up 4 guys with one can even! Repeatedly trying for this didn't work. It finally unlocked in time trial mode.

• "The Professional" trophy also wouldn't unlock. That's for beating the first level without dying. I replayed and replayed... you have to get to the very end before you find out it didn't work. So frustrating! Again, it finally unlocked in time trial mode.

• final boss: Honestly the most frustrating experience I've had this gen... maybe ever? First problem is that you can't dodge-cancel an attack. If you're doing an attack, it's a long animation and you can't cancel it to dodge. Second problem, there are pillars all over the small arena that can block your dodge and leave you exposed. These pillars also block your view of the enemy so you can't see when it's attacking. Third problem, you don't have any invulnerability period - which means that the enemy can keep hitting you with attacks while you're down until you're dead (and some attacks are so wide that dodges don't protect you). Fourth problem, it was taking only 2-3 attacks to kill lara. Fifth problem, you can easily get knocked off the edge of the arena to plummet to your death. Sixth problem, a bug wherein certain sections of the floor (the seam between the lower outer circumference of the circle and the raised inner circle) cause you instant death if you step on them, like the old days of TR games when you "stepped out of bounds" and lara would instantly crumple to the ground.

All that added up to 1.5 hours of trying to beat this damn boss. Better hope to hell you don't run into the sixth problem.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I have all the games on the 360....should i buy this connection? Is this a 360 ports or a ps2 ports of the games? did they add anything new? what is the res like in Anniversary and Legend.

kliklik said:
final boss: Honestly the most frustrating experience I've had this gen... maybe ever? . . .

All that added up to 1.5 hours of trying to beat this damn boss. Better hope to hell you don't run into the sixth problem.
I spent about 30 hours total trying to complete tactical challenge 6 on Vanquish. Just sayin'. 1.5 hours is nothing to complain about, mind you it's due to a glitch or something I could understand.

kliklik

Banned
Kasumi1970 said:
I have all the games on the 360....should i buy this connection? Is this a 360 ports or a ps2 ports of the games? did they add anything new? what is the res like in Anniversary and Legend.

I guess they just added developer diaries? I assume you had all the cheats, soul reaver weapon included? I know you have all the costumes because I was using a guide that was written for the PC version and they listed all the same ones. The PSP version has different costumes.

The resolution is pretty terrible, at least in Legend. I was quite surprised. It looks like the old tomb raider games did. I haven't tried Anni in the trilogy yet, but I've played it on PC before. If you care about a pretty version of the game, play it on PC. I don't really see a reason to re-buy them on PS3 unless you want the 3 platinums.

krae_man

kliklik said:
Oh my GOD this game is glitchy.

For TR Legend:

• "The Biggest Bang for the Buck" trophy just wouldn't unlock. I blew up 4 guys with one can even! Repeatedly trying for this didn't work. It finally unlocked in time trial mode.

• "The Professional" trophy also wouldn't unlock. That's for beating the first level without dying. I replayed and replayed... you have to get to the very end before you find out it didn't work. So frustrating! Again, it finally unlocked in time trial mode.

• final boss:

-I got lucky and never had a problem with the biggest bag trophy.

-The without dying stuff was annoying for me too because I usually messed up one of the QTE's at least once.

-The final boss is a pain in the ass in Hard mode. It probably took me over an hour to beat him. The harder problem wasn't avoiding his attacks for me, it was doing it while close enough to hit him when he's weak. You can angle yourself in a few spots where you can hit him and his attacks hit the stone stuff in the way. I was able to stand still and spam the sword attack for a couple seconds a couple times.

kliklik

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
I spent about 30 hours total trying to complete tactical challenge 6 on Vanquish. Just sayin'. 1.5 hours is nothing to complain about, mind you it's due to a glitch or something I could understand.

There's a big difference between failing due to your own mistakes (like in Demon's Souls or Vanquish) and failing because of poor controls, glitches, getting stuck on the scenery, cheap attacks, and an obstructed view of the enemy.

I'm totally willing to go back and repeat something when it is something I can learn from and improve upon. But when it's just 1.5 hrs of trial and error with meaningless, sometimes inexplicable deaths...

Anyway, congrats on the Vanquish platinum! I just got that game and am going to be playing it soon. I've heard a lot about challenge 6... I'm getting scared.

kliklik said:
Anyway, congrats on the Vanquish platinum! I just got that game and am going to be playing it soon. I've heard a lot about challenge 6... I'm getting scared.
be afraid be very afraid. It will unlock once you've done most of the game. But even then you will feel like learning all new tactics just to survive, such as using the cigarettes and barrel-roll cancelling everywhere.

Bruiserk

What order should I play these games in? I am about an hour into Legend when I realized I might be playing it out of order. I believe the timeline goes:

Anniversary -> Legend -> Underworld

Should I stop Legend and go back to Anniversary or does it not matter?

edit:

I think it works fine in release order:
Legend -> Anniversary -> Underworld

It's effectively in medias res when you do that, which is fine as a narrative structure.

Yea, looking through different resources some people are saying they don't reference each other much anyways other than Underworld so I will go ahead and continue with Legend. Thanks for the reply.

jvm

Gamasutra.
What order should I play these games in? I am about an hour into Legend when I realized I might be playing it out of order. I believe the timeline goes:

Anniversary -> Legend -> Underworld

Should I stop Legend and go back to Anniversary or does it not matter?
I think it works fine in release order:
Legend -> Anniversary -> Underworld

It's effectively in medias res when you do that, which is fine as a narrative structure.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just picked this up the other day and I gotta ask, what the heck is up with the audio mix in legend and anniversary? It's atrocious! Any loud noise will completely drown out the soundscape turning everything into a distorted mess! The lost valley with the waterfall area and the Trex fight were really painful to play though. Legend seems even worse with radio chatter being a particularly bad offender.

Is it just sloppy encoding or did they actually have to compress it to hell to make them all fit? No one seemed to mention this little deficiency anywhere and I'm regretting spending money on this thing when the pc versions had very clean AQ.

Top Bottom