• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Trilogy |OT| The Crystal Dynamics Collection

Curufinwe

sublimit said:
It was advertised and promoted as a remake of the original and not as a re-imagining as you probably believe so.Unfortunately it had absolutely nothing to do with it.
They butchered whole levels and sections,made it incredibly linear,

The levels aren't any more linear than the original game, so no, it's not incredibly linear.

Anniversary is an even better remake than Resident Evil on the GameCube and the best Tomb Raider game ever made.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
1 more comparison shot... The rest of the released images are from Legend and Underworld, which I haven't gotten around to playing yet. :p

Also, the Greece boss fight was very cool. Very much a puzzle unto itself, I grinned when I figured out
how to dodge the petrify attack and to pull off their shields

Started playing TRL again, after beating it years ago on the 360. To me it hasn't aged well but it's still so damn fun. This is such a great value, looking forward to jumping into Anny soon since I passed on it when it first released.

Hyphen

Other than an extremely vague childhood memory of playing a Tomb Raider game on a friend's PlayStation, I have no experience with this franchise whatsoever. However, I'm a 3rd person action/adventure fan, and so will pick this up at some point. Just a quick question though, do I play these games in the order of the cover image - Legend, Anniversary, Underworld? Or is it it supposed to be Anniversary, Legend, Underworld as it suggests in the OP? As I said, my experience with the franchise is virtually nil.

sublimit

Banned
Curufinwe said:
The levels aren't any more linear than the original game, so no, it's not incredibly linear.

Not really.
For example in the original game in Natla's mines you could go pick up the fuses in whatever order you wanted.In Anniversary you had to follow the developers linear path.Not to mention that the 2nd half of the original level (the lava areas) is missing from the remake.

There are more examples like this throughout the game.

Curufinwe

And they combine to make it incredibly linear? Beause I remember playing levels like St. Franics' Folly on Anniversary and they didn't seem linear at all.

gdt

Played about and hour and a half of TRL, and it's good so far. A bit outdated (mostly in the control and combat department).

Combat sucks donkey dick.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Hyphen said:
Other than an extremely vague childhood memory of playing a Tomb Raider game on a friend's PlayStation, I have no experience with this franchise whatsoever. However, I'm a 3rd person action/adventure fan, and so will pick this up at some point. Just a quick question though, do I play these games in the order of the cover image - Legend, Anniversary, Underworld? Or is it it supposed to be Anniversary, Legend, Underworld as it suggests in the OP? As I said, my experience with the franchise is virtually nil.
Well, Anniversary is a remake of the first Tomb Raider so I'd start with that one. It's not a MGS3 case where the game takes place earlier in the timeline yet you're meant to have played the others to pick up on the references and cameos. Pretty self contained, too. It's the ideal introduction to the series.

Legend... while probably the most outdated of the three, its story seemingly continues straight into Underworld, and the latter might contain some cross-pollination with Anniversary, so U would come last and L right behind it.

I'll probably take the A>L>U order myself too. Already beat Anniversary on PS2, but it's worth a replay.

Hyphen

Dobkeratops said:
Well, Anniversary is a remake of the first Tomb Raider so I'd start with that one. It's not a MGS3 case where the game takes place earlier in the timeline yet you're meant to have played the others to pick up on the references and cameos. Pretty self contained, too. It's the ideal introduction to the series.

Legend... while probably the most outdated of the three, its story seemingly continues straight into Underworld, and the latter might contain some cross-pollination with Anniversary, so U would come last and L right behind it.

I'll probably take the A>L>U order myself too. Already beat Anniversary on PS2, but it's worth a replay.

Lovely! Thanks Dobkeratops. Really looking forward to this. Being a huge Uncharted fan, people have been telling me that I should check out Tomb Raider. So this should be right up my street. All I need now is a "better than a simple HD PS2 port" of the Splinter Cell Trilogy, and that's another franchise I can finally experience (please don't be lazy Ubisoft, I beg of you).

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
TR and Uncharted get compared a lot for some reason, but they have very distinct gameplay styles. Uncharted focuses on the shooting and action scenes with some neat and easy platforming segments. TR generally has poor combat but the platforming/puzzle component is where the meat of the game lies. Expect some seriously demanding jumps, timed traps while solving environmental puzzles.

Both series have the whole explore exotic places around the world, find forgotten relics, Indy adventure-y feeling in common, though, so if that's what you're looking for you shouldn't be disappointed.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
You think so? I recall the original TR games having different jump types for each situation - and eating up a lot of reloading screens after a distance miscalculation. Had my fair share of falling deaths on the PS2 remake too, which rarely -if ever- happens when I'm with either Uncharted title.

Might be wrong ('tis been a while after all) but if I had to I'd say Uncharted is less strict. Don't know about Legend or Underworld, though!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
sublimit said:
The platforming in the trilogy is basically the same as in Uncharted. Only a lot more frequent.
1252796864582og4r.gif

sublimit

Banned
Dobkeratops said:
You think so? I recall the original TR games having different jump types for each situation - and eating up a lot of reloading screens after a distance miscalculation. Had my fair share of falling deaths on the PS2 remake too, which rarely -if ever- happens when I'm with either Uncharted title.

Might be wrong ('tis been a while after all) but if I had to I'd say Uncharted is less strict. Don't know about Legend or Underworld, though!

In the originals yes (TR1-5).But in the Crystal Dynamics trilogy the jump distance is always the same just like Uncharted.Same goes for the automatic grab system.

Ellis Kim

Banned
sublimit said:
It was advertised and promoted as a remake of the original and not as a re-imagining as you probably believe so.Unfortunately it had absolutely nothing to do with it.
They butchered whole levels and sections,made it incredibly linear,changed the script into a hollywood melodrama and added a retarded gimmick (which they never bothered to explain properly how it worked) to its combat.

I don't have an issue whether people like it or not but to connect it with a hallmark game like the first TR is really an insult to the original developers.
The adrenaline combat 'gimmick' was fully explained, and was the second best part of the game. If you didn't use it, you were in for a drawn out fight against wild animals.

@sublimit: Huh? Anniversary is the only Crystal Dynamics TR game with no gunfights against armed soldiers. It has the best combat dodge 'gimmick' of the three and its also the meatiest in content and length, reminiscent of a time before when 6 hours became an acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

EDIT: I'll update the OP in the morning for EU msrp and people's impressions.

sublimit

Banned
The implementation of the manual grab in a game that was obviously designed with auto-grab in mind was glitchy as hell.Personally i had to switch back to the "auto-pilot" after i witnessed the unresponsiveness of the manual grab a few times.
It's not surprising Crystal Dynamics abandoned completely the manual grab feature in Underworld.

Ellis Kim said:
The adrenaline combat 'gimmick' was fully explained, and was the second best part of the game. If you didn't use it, you were in for a drawn out fight against wild animals.

@sublimit: Huh? Anniversary is the only Crystal Dynamics TR game with no gunfights against armed soldiers. It has the best combat dodge 'gimmick' of the three and its also the meatiest in content and length, reminiscent of a time before when 6 hours became an acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

The adrenaline dodge gimmick was explained in a pathetic tutorial against a weak bear that you could kill even without ever performing the adrenaline dodge right.But from that point onwards the game assumed you knew how to do the adrenaline move so it pit you in fights where the only way to progress was if you performed the AD right.With the T-Rex battle you could win it even if you didn't know how to do the AD right but when it came to the Centaurs you were basically fucked.Even the explanation in the manual was wrong.I had to go to Gamefaqs in order to read a proper explanation of the move.Quite many people had problem with this move,you only need to go to Youtube videos and Tomb Raider forums and see how many people complained about that.For the sake of the new players who will play the HD trilogy i hope that they at least have changed the explanation in the manual regarding the adrenaline dodge.

And i didn't say Anniversary had fights against armed soldiers (except a few key ones.)
Honestly personally i preferred much more Legend and Underworld in the combat department because you were free to ignore completely the adrenaline move if you wanted.In general though combat sucked in all three games.

I agree that Anniversary is the meatiest in content from the Crystal's games but this doesn't say much as Underworld and Legend (especially Legend) were very short.If with all the content that was cut out in Anniversary still impressed you with its a length i can't even imagine what you will think of the original if you ever play it (which was still one of the shortest of the first 5 TR games.)

Curufinwe

sublimit said:
The implementation of the manual grab in a game that was obviously designed with auto-grab in mind was glitchy as hell.Personally i had to switch back to the "auto-pilot" after i witnessed the unresponsiveness of the manual grab a few times.

It worked fine for me throughout the entire game. Didn't glitch once.

gdt

Completed Paraiso, now in Japan in TRL.

Only thing that's bothering is Lara's ridiculous breasts (especially in this Japan level, with this dress she's wearing). Game is good, however!

FireCloud

Started with Legend last night. I haven't played Tomb Raider since Tomb Raider II (when it first came out) so I'm really looking forward to getting back into the series.

While I have enjoyed the platforming and puzzles, I already have one gripe...

At the end of the first level in Legend, after a cut scene you have to
run across a rope bridge while a helicopter shoots parts of it away.
It took me probably four times before I realized what I was supposed to be doing. I mean the cut scene ends and two seconds later (or less) you are dead if you don't
immediately start running

Does anyone know if this sort of thing is common? Not having played it before, I don't know when the cut scene is ending so that I can be prepared to act.

gdt

FireCloud said:
Started with Legend last night. I haven't played Tomb Raider since Tomb Raider II (when it first came out) so I'm really looking forward to getting back into the series.

While I have enjoyed the platforming and puzzles, I already have one gripe...

At the end of the first level in Legend, after a cut scene you have to
run across a rope bridge while a helicopter shoots parts of it away.
It took me probably four times before I realized what I was supposed to be doing. I mean the cut scene ends and two seconds later (or less) you are dead if you don't
immediately start running

Does anyone know if this sort of thing is common? Not having played it before, I don't know when the cut scene is ending so that I can be prepared to act.

I didn't have a problem with that, but it happens again, where I died a bunch of times.

In the next temple.

Where
where that thing is chasing you. The camera changes to his first person view

BUT, during the cutscene, a little symbol pops up warning you to take control. It just took me a couple tries to figure out what the symbol meant.

FireCloud

gdt5016 said:
I didn't have a problem with that, but it happens again, where I died a bunch of times.

In the next temple.

Where
where that thing is chasing you. The camera changes to his first person view

BUT, during the cutscene, a little symbol pops up warning you to take control. It just took me a couple tries to figure out what the symbol meant.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice the symbol until the cut scene ended. I'll just have to stay alert. I tend to remember that with TRI and TRII, I died a lot. Usually because I miss judged a jump while platforming.

Based on the comments earlier in this thread, I may hold off on Legend and try to complete Anniversary first. Someone mentioned that seemed to make the most sense from the point-of-view of the story.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
Its funny...I bought all 3 for 360 2 months before they announced the ps3 trilogy....HAHA

Well i am excited to play this again, but playing anniversary first wont make a difference. Legend is the first in the series, since it explains a certain someone from your past.....while anniversary doesnt....so when your playing legend 2nd your like "whose that?!?! that was in anniversary??!!"

also, i havent opened my copy of the ps3 version yet, probably i will today, but i remember the bounce was huge in legend 360 ROFL! it goes downhill in underworld ^_^;

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Legend was my first 1000 on 360.

How are the ports compared to the 360 originals? Namely Anniversary really(easilly the finest TR game in existence)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Brandon F said:
How are the ports compared to the 360 originals? Namely Anniversary really(easilly the finest TR game in existence)

Seriously, people with the game should post some real performance impressions already not just screens.

I don't have the game yet but I think and since Legend and Anniversary are just PS2 port and at 30fps(locked I hope), they will run better than the 360 version framerate-wise,since the 360 version of Anniversary was not that good.

Graphic wise, like can see the posted screens here, they are PS2 ports (with lifted character models from the 360) so I think it will be better performance with lesser graphic quality.

Still Legend on xbox1 run at 60fps (and look great) so it's shame the ports on upscaled PS2 ports run at 30fps :(

FireCloud

Found out some more information about the PS3 trilogy on the US playstation blog. The information was from back in January but since it was in the comments section, I don't know how many people saw it. Thought I'd share in case any of this was new news to anyone here...

source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/01/06/the-tomb-raider-trilogy-hd-exclusively-on-ps3-march-22nd/comment-page-3/#comments

+ Sonia Im on January 14th, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

Happy Friday everyone!

Thank you again so much for your questions and comments. I gathered the FAQs and caught up with Karl Stewart (Global Brand Director) over at Crystal Dynamics today to get the answers straight from the source. Hopefully we’ve managed to cover off on the key questions. If not, Karl will on here later to follow up too J

(This will be in parts as there’s limit on characters)

Q. Will this be a retail game on one Blu-Ray disc?
Q is it a box set or all game in 1 disc ?
A. Yes, this will be a retail only release and were are delighted to be able to fit all three games, and additional content, onto one PlayStation3 Blu-Ray disk.

Q. Will there be Trophy Support? If so, what games?
A. All three games will have trophy support. Trophy support was previously available on the Underworld release. We’ve spent a lot of time working to ensure that both Legend and Anniversary supported this awesome PlayStation3 feature.

+ Sonia Im on January 14th, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Q. Will Underworld include the previously 360 exclusive DLC?
A. Unfortunately we will not be including the previously released Xbox 360 DLC. This content was created exclusively for the Xbox 360 during the release of Tomb Raider Underworld.

Q. Please update us about the graphics. To compare to the X360 version, it is similar, or better, worse, etc.?
A. The X360 versions of the game all looked graphically superb. The benefit of taking the time to go back and re-master and re-work all of the textures from the previous versions of Legend and Anniversary is that the technology has improved since the games were originally released. We can honestly say that visually these will be the best versions of the game.

+ Sonia Im on January 14th, 2011 at 3:53 pm said:

Q. Dynamic themes?
A. We have chosen to create an exclusive Static Theme for this trilogy.

Q. Avatars?
A. We have created two exclusive Home Avatar outfits for the Trilogy. The first (the female outfit) is Lara Crofts key outfit from Underworld and the second (the make outfit) is the Viking Thrall outfit from Underworld.

Q. How is the Home content rewarded? A code insert? What about adding an exclusive avatar to the bonus content?
A. When you insert the disk into your PS3 and start up Home, you will see a notification that you have been assigned the outfit for your avatar

Q. Will Anniversary have the extra costumes from the PSP version and the extra room in the mansion from the Wii version?
A. Unfortunately this Trilogy pack will not include any extra costumes of the extra room in the mansion from the Wii version.

+ Sonia Im on January 14th, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

Q. Weren’t these already in HD on the 360?
A. Yes, all three games have previously been released on the Xbox 360 in HD. This version is a vast visual improvement on anything we’ve released previously due to the opportunity to go back in and remaster each texture from Legend and Anniversary with modern tools.

Q. Will it be download on PSN like Prince of Persia’s trilogy?
A. At this time we have no plans to release the Trilogy on PSN.

Q. Is Legend based on the 360 version of the game?
Q. The 360 version has episodic contents for Anniversary, will the PS3 version have those episodic content from the 360 version?
Q. Will legend and anniversary be the same as the 360/PC versions? or will it be the PS2 versions just rendered in HD?
Q. Are Legend and Anniversary going to be remasters of the PS2 versions or ports of the X360 versions?
A. All three Tomb Raider games included within the Trilogy pack have been built using the Crystal proprietary engine. In order to remaster the two PS2 titles previously released, we’ve gone back and reworked the hghest available assets from both Legend and Anniversary and this has included reusing some of the HD textures from both the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the games.

@Totobeni ... Based on the answer to the last questions, I don't know if the trilogy is a simple PS2 port. I don't know what was meant that the trilogy was built "using the Crystal proprietary engine." I don't have the 360 or PC versions to compare with but they did mention above that "visually these will be the best versions of the game." (again, don't know if that just refers to the upgraded textures and lighting)

Looking forward to getting back to this when I get home from work today...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All three Tomb Raider games included within the Trilogy pack have been built using the Crystal proprietary engine. In order to remaster the two PS2 titles previously released, we’ve gone back and reworked the hghest available assets from both Legend and Anniversary and this has included reusing some of the HD textures from both the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the games.
Well we can't take anything said seriously now because the PS3 textures looked like shit in that PC comparison shot.

TripOpt55

I got this today. I was going to wait, but decided to go for it anyway. It seemed a bit silly since I have Underworld on PS3, but I love Anniversary and it's been a while since I played Legend, so I grabbed it. Looking forward to delving into them tonight at some point.

DonMigs85

TripOpt55 said:
I got this today. I was going to wait, but decided to go for it anyway. It seemed a bit silly since I have Underworld on PS3, but I love Anniversary and it's been a while since I played Legend, so I grabbed it. Looking forward to delving into them tonight at some point.
Please try out Underworld here and see if it's pretty much identical to the old version.

protonion

I finished Legend. It took me 7 hours. Tokyo was the best level imo.
I enjoyed the platforming and puzzles. The action not that much. Fortunately there aren't many encounters in the game. I will return to find the secrets. Many of them are brilliantly hidden.

I played Underworld a bit. It looks really good but I think I prefer Legend's physics. Though I played the games very close to each other and I'm probably used to Lara's floatiness from Legend.

Anniversary is still the best in the series.

Can't wait for the reboot!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FireCloud said:
@Totobeni ... Based on the answer to the last questions, I don't know if the trilogy is a simple PS2 port. I don't know what was meant that the trilogy was built "using the Crystal proprietary engine." I don't have the 360 or PC versions to compare with but they did mention above that "visually these will be the best versions of the game." (again, don't know if that just refers to the upgraded textures and lighting)

Looking forward to getting back to this when I get home from work today...

Crystal Dynamic Engine I think is the same engine used for Legend,Anniversary and Underworld in all systems,including the PS2 one, so it's just bullshit PR talk (aka turd polishing)

Based on the few screens ExMachina posted, they are indeed the PS2 ports textures ,lightning,geometry ,environments (with only the polygonal character models are different I think they take that from the 360 version).

What is wrong here for me is, when everything (but the characters) have PS2 poly count and texture, why don't let the game run at 60fps since you are now have PS2 version on a more powerful hardware.

protonion said:
I finished Legend. It took me 7 hours. Tokyo was the best level imo.
I enjoyed the platforming and puzzles. The action not that much. Fortunately there aren't many encounters in the game. I will return to find the secrets. Many of them are brilliantly hidden.

Yeah Liked that level, not much the shooting inside the building, but Lara going to do crazy thing on a tal tower was just Amazing, I alwasy thought that modern cities don't work well in Tomb Raider( TR2/that Pieces of shit Angel of Darkness) but that level was very good.

I played Underworld a bit. It looks really good but I think I prefer Legend's physics. Though I played the games very close to each other and I'm probably used to Lara's floatiness from Legend.

Underworld is my less favorites CD Tomb Raider game, stupid story and twist, and freaking shit ending level (dlc don't help), but the worst thing was the Level design,it was really not good , Mediterranean ship and underwater was boring,Mexico is ugly liner mess,same as Jan Mayen Island, only Thailand level was on par with Legend and Anniversary.

shagg_187 said:
So... Did any hardcore gamer finished all 3? Need to see if there is an Easter egg or teaser trailer at the end!

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a trailer for the new TR, similar to Sly Collection. At least I hope so, I cannot wait to play as Hillary Swank.

ExMachina said:
If anyone's interested in how the collection's version of TRA looks in relation to the PC version, I took some screenshots when I reached the spots in the comparison images.

For reference, PC version was running on highest settings but at 720p.

Maybe its just the nostalgia talking (I played Legend and Anniversary on PS2), but I think the PS2 version still looks the best.

I loved the fuzzy, bloom-filled look of the game. The next-gen/PC versions are too crisp, if that makes any sense. It seems to lose much of its ethereal quality, which I loved from TR:A.

Legend would be okay with remastered assets I guess. It was much more crisp and sterile than TR:A. (IMO)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Darth Kupi said:
I loved the fuzzy, bloom-filled look of the game. The next-gen/PC versions are too crisp, if that makes any sense. It seems to lose much of its ethereal quality, which I loved from TR:A.
Nah, crank the SSAA and it's all good.

Edit: WHAT THE SHIT HAPPENED TO MY SAVE FILE

protonion

Underworld is really bad. Lazy level design, invisible walls, bad controls, glitches, bad environment interaction (objects that look and should be climbable,are not) and camera. I was stuck in a while because I had to jump from a ledge to a platform that there was no way I could see. Even combat feels worse than the other two.

If someone plans to get the trilogy because of Underworld, don't.
The other two are more than worth it.

I'll rush through Underworld and complete the trilogy with Anniversary.

Quality wise A>>>L>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>U

Recommended play order L-U-A (leave the best for the end,it doesn't really matter story wise)

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Underworld has some of the most beautiful levels in a videogame. It's up there with Uncharted 2 and Red Dead where I just stopped and stared.

Agree 100%. It was also my first TR game.

FireCloud

Is it just me or does the cut scene volume seem much lower than the in-game volume? While playing Legend last night, I kept having to turn up the vol on the TV every time there was a cut scene.

My family seems to be under the misunderstanding that cut scene time is a good time to cary-on a conversation with me. It never fails... Had to go back and re-watch several of the cinematics from the main menu. (another gripe....after watching a cinematic it takes you all the way back to the main menu instead of back to the cinematic menu....but I can deal with it.)

ssowinski

Played a handful of levels in Anniversary last night (because it's supposed to be the best of the 3 and first story-wise)

Impressions:

Clunky controls. Found myself struggling to get the jump / grappling hook to work on the very first scene. I kept jumping (with X) and hitting the [] quicker than the system could register it. I'd deliberately have to jump, wait, then hit [] to do it right. I'd also find myself jumping up (and then falling back down) when on ledges repeatedly when trying to get to the next ledge. The areas where you can and can't hold onto (environment detection) was bad and sometimes wouldn't even work unless you manually adjusted the camera to face it first.

Graphics are poor. It may be a bit crisper than a last generation game but the geometry of the environment shows it's age. The outside areas are lush and generally look good, but corridors, the insides of rooms and pretty much everything except Lara looks square and blocky. You can really tell when jumping up onto higher platforms or exploring tight areas. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, but this is my first HD remake so maybe it's just last gen shock.

Sound was uneven. The soundtrack was great but any stone rumbling, crashes, roars were just a muddled mess. Maybe it just from the Jungle ruins environment but I hope the sound quality picks up a bit in different areas.

Overall, despite the issues above, I think I'll have to grow used to the controls, sit further away from the TV and turn the game sounds down a bit and plug my way through this trilogy. The exploration is fun enough to keep my interest so far, but this is no Uncharted (even with all its flaws). My wife even got bored and quit watching after 30 mins. There is good value here but it might not sell you on the Tomb Raider series if you haven't played it before on last gen systems.

Oneself

Legends didn't age well visually... looking at videos on the net, it looks pretty much like the 360 version.. though I am not entirely sure about it because there are some weird "scan lines" that makes it look like an upscaled PS2 game.

Anniversary looks great so far...

Top Bottom