• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Trilogy |OT| The Crystal Dynamics Collection

krae_man

I just have to beat Tomb Raider Legend of Tomb Raider Difficulty and I will have the Plat.

I love the Star Trek TNG themed Trophy. A million times better then doing another god damn Back to the Future joke.

Bought this on the Amazons for cheap. I now have PoP collection, Sly Collection and Tomb Raider Collection for the summer slow days.....

Hell yeah.

And yes I also have the God of War Collection but I finished that already :D

AAK

StevePharma said:
image.php

Only major PS2 adventure series outside of POP I have yet to play... Please KONAMI! Port this!

Hanmik

I just completed Tomb Raider Anniversary the other night.. it took me about 12 hours to complete. Great game..
I now started Legend and I heard that it is shorter than Anniversary. But how much shorter..?

One thing I did notice when I started Legend after playing Anniversary. Legend looks (IMO) alot better than Anniversary.. but isn´t that a little strange, considering the fact that Legend is older than anniversary..? or is there another reason for this..?

Mr_Zombie

Hanmik said:
I now started Legend and I heard that it is shorter than Anniversary. But how much shorter..?
Much shorter. I think I beat it in 6 hours on my first try. It's also much more linear and action oriented; there's less levels with platforming and puzzles than in Anniversary.

Still a fun game.

Hanmik

Mr_Zombie said:
Much shorter. I think I beat it in 6 hours on my first try. It's also much more linear and action oriented; there's less levels with platforming and puzzles than in Anniversary.

Still a fun game.

thanks for the quick reply.. so about half the time that it took me to finish Anniversary.. oki doki. I can see why, because the puzzles in Anniversary was the one thing that took time. And Legend seems much more action orientated than Legend..

How is it with Underworld then..? like Anniversary or like Legend..? or a nice game in between those..?

I actually feel like a lucky guy. I´m 36 years old, have played the original games on the Playstation 1. But never got to play the three games that are in this Trilogy pack. So I consider myself lucky that I have the ability to play them today.

About 2 hours into Underworld now, and man, somewhere between Legend/Anniversary and Underworld their animation and camera systems got lost in the mix. I remember them making such a big deal about the mo-capped animations in Underworld, but all it does is make everything look "jumpy" like I'm constantly skipping frames in animation. That polish from Anniversary where everything looked and felt smooth is almost not here anymore. Also, the combat isn't up to the standards of the prior 2 games which is saying a lot. Fighting the animals is especially annoying now.

The good though, are the environments where are still beautiful almost 3 years later, Lara's character model looks great, the sprawling puzzles are REALLY cool, and the expanded moveset they gave her is fun. I'll keep pushing through but the animation and camera issues pretty much guarantee this one will end up behind the first 2 in the trilogy.

EDIT: Also, changing Aim + Shoot to L2+ R2 is fail. So much fail. I don't even think there's a way to change that. I hate how it feels.

Mr_Zombie

Hanmik said:
How is it with Underworld then..? like Anniversary or like Legend..? or a nice game in between those..?
Underworld is more on the Anniversary side. There's lots of big levels with multiple puzzles to solve and lots of platforming to do, although Anniversary was still better in that regard. I don't remember how long the game is, but it's somewhere in the middle between Legends and Anniversary; I think it took me about 9 - 10 hours or so.

TripOpt55

I just got the Anniversary Platinum. I just needed the hard trophy. I made a quick run back through the game this weekend and got it. Took about 4 hours. Such a good game. Not sure if I will be going for the Legend Platinum. Some of those treasures just seem to elude me. Maybe in a little while when I'm bored I will look for them again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TripOpt55 said:
I just got the Anniversary Platinum. I just needed the hard trophy. I made a quick run back through the game this weekend and got it. Took about 4 hours. Such a good game. Not sure if I will be going for the Legend Platinum. Some of those treasures just seem to elude me. Maybe in a little while when I'm bored I will look for them again.

If you want an easy plat, Legends is pretty easy (you can cheat on the time trials).

TripOpt55

ULTROS! said:
If you want an easy plat, Legends is pretty easy (you can cheat on the time trials).
I actually got the time trials. they seemed pretty easy. I just need to sit down and find those treasures. I like to not use guides, so a few I just can't find yet.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
ULTROS! said:

What's the point of getting a Plat if you cheat? Aren't achievements/trophies supposed to be a self-satisfying reminder of your achievements? Don't get it.

Amir0x

Banned
jetjevons said:
What's the point of getting a Plat if you cheat? Aren't achievements/trophies supposed to be a self-satisfying reminder of your achievements? Don't get it.

People don't care about that aspect unfortunately. That's one of the reasons I don't like trophies or achievements - there's no real way to police the cheaters from the legitimately skilled gamers. On Xbox 360 I've got some people on my list who buy shit like Hannah Montana and Avatar the Last Airbender - or rent it via Gamefly - because it's an easy 1000 points.

A true shame...

dak1dsk1

Banned
My god, this collection is horrible. I feel so ripped off. I will be very careful before I buy another of these so-called 'hd-collections'.

Ratrat

Don't know where else to post this but, are all the Tombs Raiders on psx good? Theres got to be a dmc2(never existed) tier game in there that should be avoided right? I'm planing on buying all of them.

edit: Guardians of Light was my first Tomb Raider and I'm currently playing and loving the hell out of Tomb Raider 1.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ratrat said:
Don't know where else to post this but, are all the Tombs Raiders on psx good? Theres got to be a dmc2(never existed) tier game in there that should be avoided right? I'm planing on buying all of them.

edit: Guardians of Light was my first Tomb Raider and I'm currently playing and loving the hell out of Tomb Raider 1.

I found them unplayable.

After playing the CD Tomb Raiders, I found the PSX version even more unplayable.

Mr_Zombie

Ratrat said:

In my opinion:
TR1 & TR4 - great!
TR2 - has lots of improvements over TR1, but at the same time it moved TR from desolated caves and tombs into places like Venice (although Maria Doria shipwreck was cool), and also introduced human enemies as a standard enemy type (TR1 also had human enemies, but all of them were bosses).
TR3 - it's where, IMHO, the formula got a little bit stale and I didn't really enjoyed it (Area 51 sucked) :/
TR5 - sequel just for the sequel's sake; it had a sneaking mission... ugh.

None of them is the DMC2 of TR series though (that title would go to TR: The Angel of Darkness, which was a mess).

krae_man

Slowly making my way through Anniversary. Man this game is soo good. The scale of the enviroments and the platforming puzzles is just awesome.

Got stuck in Egypt after I opened the huge doors and came up to the rotate the 4 pillars puzzle. I looked at the symbols on the pillars, I looked at the symbols on the walls and couldn't figure out the right way to move them and caved and looked online.

Reminded me of the underwater puzzle in Angel of Darkness where you had to move the proper statues to open the Lux Veritartis vault. I still have no idea how you were supposed to know which ones to move.

ULTROS!

Anniversary is a nice game but some platforming sections were a bit frustrating and sometimes you have no idea where to go.

I highly doubt I'll platinum this game.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Why the heck are the graphics so bad? It's like they used some ugly blur filter, that you just can't turn off. Very not HD. Running emulated PS2 games on my BC unit looks MUCH clearer and better. In fact, I'm sure that if i ran TR: Legend through emulation, that it would look better.

I would enjoy this much more, if I had control over the graphics.

Edit.
Totobeni said:
Still Legend on xbox1 run at 60fps (and look great) so it's shame the ports on upscaled PS2 ports run at 30fps :(
Oh my. I guess the Xbox1 version is the superior version then?

Oneself said:
Legends didn't age well visually... looking at videos on the net, it looks pretty much like the 360 version.. though I am not entirely sure about it because there are some weird "scan lines" that makes it look like an upscaled PS2 game.
Maybe its this Scan line'ish filter that's raping my eyes...

Lord Error said:
It's not just high res PS2 port. In fact it seems like they added better HDR glow to it than even PC version.
Yup, it has some annoying glow as well.

Heh, it's still a fun game, I'm just wondering how they could make it look this bad.

Mr_Zombie said:
In my opinion:
TR1 & TR4 - great!
TR2 - has lots of improvements over TR1, but at the same time it moved TR from desolated caves and tombs into places like Venice (although Maria Doria shipwreck was cool), and also introduced human enemies as a standard enemy type (TR1 also had human enemies, but all of them were bosses).
TR3 - it's where, IMHO, the formula got a little bit stale and I didn't really enjoyed it (Area 51 sucked) :/
TR5 - sequel just for the sequel's sake; it had a sneaking mission... ugh.

None of them is the DMC2 of TR series though (that title would go to TR: The Angel of Darkness, which was a mess).
I never played 4 /5. I had Tomb Raider 1, which was amazing back in the day, and Tomb Raider 2 which I thought was in some ways even better. I really disliked 3 and never played another after that until Legends hit. Which I enjoyed, but felt very linear.
So 4 was actually decent? Huh.

Jigsaw

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
Why the heck are the graphics so bad? It's like they used some ugly blur filter, that you just can't turn off. Very not HD. Running emulated PS2 games on my BC unit looks MUCH clearer and better. In fact, I'm sure that if i ran TR: Legend through emulation, that it would look better.

only legend looks weird because of the artefacts,anniversary looks really good,almost like a ps3 title

The guy bitching about legend probably only played the first mission, which does look shitty and messy. Every level after that has been visually better, though. While the game clearly has its design roots in the last gen theres definitely some normal/bump mapping on a good amount of textures. It basically looks like a launch game from this gen: it's a mishmash of tech from this gen limited by the last gen design.Hopefully, anniversary looks a bit more current than legend. I know that underworld is a current gen game so I'm not too worried about that game looking good.

Overall, these games look better than I had expected. I thought they were going to half ass it and put 2 ps2 games together with underworld but it appears that they made a far better effort than that.

Come on SE please.... I want this on the PSN like PoP trilogy :-(

I've been asking for this for months, why don't you want my money?

Appollowexx said:
So 4 was actually decent? Huh.

The best TR game beside the first one..... so many great levels with good puzzles and deep explorations .

Unity2012

**First Post!**( funny how happy I felt when I saw the account approval eamil after months of waiting and lurking around here in silence).

I have a sweet spot for the TR series. It was the franchise that brought my interest back in gaming back when TR1 was the Hot game to play.
TR Anniversary is what a remake should be, not a simple pixel clean up but a decent overhaul of the entire game. This game is so good and so full of challenges and great settings, I highly reccomend it.

Underworld is my next favorite after Anniversary. CD really listened to the fans and built on the franchise's strength and fans expectations. It is not perfect but--at times, it is so beautiful to watch, and fun to play.

Legend is my least favorite of the three but I must say it is the game that helped to revamp the series after some bad, bad iterations (Angel of Darkness comes to mind). Legends is not a bad game--however Anniversary and Underworlda are just really fun and great to explore. They truly embody the franchise's goals.

Great opportunity for newcomers to the series and for fans.

Mileena

Banned
Just got this and haven't played a TR game since the first two on PS1 many years ago. What's the proper order I should play them in?

corkscrewblow said:
Just got this and haven't played a TR game since the first two on PS1 many years ago. What's the proper order I should play them in?

Underworld is a sequel to Legend. Anniversary just retells the first game without any connection to the others.

Just got done Legend today on hard difficulty. The whole game was easy up till the final boss. What a pain in the ass. It doesn't help that the battle is glitched and you can die instantly because of it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
corkscrewblow said:
Story-wise it makes the most sense to play it:
-Anniversary
-Legend
-Underworld

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Underworld is a sequel to Legend. Anniversary just retells the first game without any connection to the others.
There are massive connections between Anniversary and the other two. Underworld makes so much more sense if you played TRA.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Technically Anniversary comes before Legend, but it doesn't really matter as long as you play Underworld after Legend.

Personally I think Legend is the best of the bunch, so I would play Anniversary before it to build up in quality (and then fall a bit in Underworld, I guess).

Stallion Free said:
There are massive connections between Anniversary and the other two. Underworld makes so much more sense if you played TRA.
Oh yeah you're right, lol. I've forgotten the TR story.

Stallion Free said:

It's been a while since I've played Anniversary. My bad. I'll just say in my defense that these games don't really tell the most compelling story.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It's been a while since I've played Anniversary. My bad. I'll just say in my defense that these games don't really tell the most compelling story.
I thought Underworld did a really nice job wrapping everything up and the overarching plot was enjoyable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Did you play the epilogue DLC? Anything important in there?
No, I was on PC :(

There was proper closure in the vanilla game and according to the wiki, the DLC just fleshes out the
doppleganger
stuff.

Nizz

My brother just got me this set about two weeks ago. Just finished Anniversary last night and am now playing through Legend. I've fallen in love with this series all over again. Playing through Anniversary gave me fond memories of playing the first game back on the Playstation so many years ago.

But Anniversary plays so much better now, of course. The revamped controls are a blessing now. I had gotten Legend on the PS2 before but I never finished the game. But playing through it now and I'm really digging it. What's funny is, imo, Legend looks better than Anniversary to me. Even though Legend came out before Anniversary.

Anyway, I'm hooked on the games and Lara again. :) Can't wait till I finish Legend and get started on Underworld. Always wanted to play that but I never got around to it. Also, it means nothing to anyone but I finally learned to swan dive, :lol.

Legend received quite an extensive graphical upgrade when it was ported to the Xbox360, so they had a lot of current-gen assets available for the PS3 version. Anniversary didn't receive the same treatment as it seemed to have been a quick project to capitalise on the reinvigorated TR brand after Legends success, so it's just the PS2 assets at a higher resolution.

PS2 Legend didn't look as good as PS2 Anniversary.

Nizz

Die Squirrel Die said:
Legend received quite an extensive graphical upgrade when it was ported to the Xbox360, so they had a lot of current-gen assets available for the PS3 version. Anniversary didn't receive the same treatment as it seemed to have been a quick project to capitalise on the reinvigorated TR brand after Legends success, so it's just the PS2 assets at a higher resolution.

PS2 Legend didn't look as good as PS2 Anniversary.
Thanks. Man, I can't believe at the time I didn't get into Legend. I'm not far into the game but It's been pretty cool. I was tempted to start playing Underworld but I wanted to play them in chronological order.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
corkscrewblow said:
On the last part of Anniversary, game is kinda tedious with all the puzzles. Or maybe I'm retarded :(
The puzzles are like the best part of the game. There are a couple mediocre ones in the last level set though.

Nizz

I finished Legend last night (was shorter than I expected). Enjoyed it and Anniversary. So I started Underworld last night and right off the bat there were two things I didn't like. First, the old center camera option has changed.

Before, in the other two games I would turn Lara around and hit the "center camera" button (L2) and it would quickly snap right behind her. It came in handy for me in Anniversary and Legend. It was a quick way to flip the camera around, sort of the quick turn in the console Left 4 Dead.

Second, and this is probably the bigger problem for me, is the zooming in and firing her weapons on L2 and R2. After loving the setup in the other two games, starting Underworld and then having a prompt come up saying "press R2 to shoot" I thought no, no. I went to the menu screen only to see there was no way to change it. :( I don't know why they changed it from the Anniversary/Legend setup.

The platforming is still pretty much the same so that's a plus. Game looks good too. I just want to see how the combat feels to me later on with zoom/fire being on the triggers. I hate those triggers used for primary functions in games. My fingers always seem to slip off. I may have to see about getting those snap-on triggers.

kliklik

Banned
Did anyone else have the Biggest Bang for the Buck trophy glitch on them?

purple cobra said:
The platforming is still pretty much the same so that's a plus. Game looks good too. I just want to see how the combat feels to me later on with zoom/fire being on the triggers. I hate those triggers used for primary functions in games. My fingers always seem to slip off. I may have to see about getting those snap-on triggers.

Ya, realtriggers or pelican dual controller triggers. TRU kinda falls apart at the end and gets sloppy and I found the puzzles way too simple. But there was a lot of potential there, which made it all the more frustrating. There's this massive underwater puzzle that is quite daunting at first, but unfortunately, it too is quite simple. I don't think we're ever going to see a return to the old gen type puzzles. And why was corkscrewblow banned?

Nizz

kliklik said:
Did anyone else have the Biggest Bang for the Buck trophy glitch on them?

Ya, realtriggers or pelican dual controller triggers. TRU kinda falls apart at the end and gets sloppy and I found the puzzles way too simple. But there was a lot of potential there, which made it all the more frustrating. There's this massive underwater puzzle that is quite daunting at first, but unfortunately, it too is quite simple. I don't think we're ever going to see a return to the old gen type puzzles. And why was corkscrewblow banned?
Yeah, watching the E3 demo for the new Tomb Raider game, it's definitely a new direction. Oh, and I think corkscrew was banned in the Counter Strike: OG thread.

kliklik

Banned
Sagitario said:
Got this as a gift a few weeks ago... what's the correct/recommended order to play them?

Legend then Underworld, since they connect. You can play Anniversary whenever. I think it's the best of the three, so I'd say save it for last.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kliklik said:
Legend then Underworld, since they connect. You can play Anniversary whenever. I think it's the best of the three, so I'd say save it for last.
Anniversary connects as well. Anniversary should be played prior to Underworld.

Top Bottom