• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Trilogy |OT| The Crystal Dynamics Collection

TripOpt55 said:
I have been working on the time trials for Anniversary and they haven't been too bad. I did all of the Peru ones. All of the Lost Island ones. And two of the Greece ones (Colisseum and Midas). Most only took one or two tries. I still need to grab a few artifacts in Egypt and Greece too, but I think I should be able to get it all. I'm still a little worried about that St. Francis' Folly time trial, but I think I will just need to figure out the order of how to do things and then I will be good... I hope. Going to need to get the Hard trophy as well. For some reason I didn't get that when I played through the first time.

Yea, getting up and down the center tower will be your worst enemy in St. Francis, not the individual rooms (assuming you've mastered the running wall jump).

ban25

TripOpt55 said:
I have been working on the time trials for Anniversary and they haven't been too bad. I did all of the Peru ones. All of the Lost Island ones. And two of the Greece ones (Colisseum and Midas). Most only took one or two tries. I still need to grab a few artifacts in Egypt and Greece too, but I think I should be able to get it all. I'm still a little worried about that St. Francis' Folly time trial, but I think I will just need to figure out the order of how to do things and then I will be good... I hope. Going to need to get the Hard trophy as well. For some reason I didn't get that when I played through the first time.

I highly recommend that anyone playing these games do so on hard. There's not that much combat and you might as well get the trophy. I played Anniversary on Normal and Underworld on Hard. So now I have to go back through TRA again, probably after I finish Legend.

TripOpt55

ban25 said:
I highly recommend that anyone playing these games do so on hard. There's not that much combat and you might as well get the trophy. I played Anniversary on Normal and Underworld on Hard. So now I have to go back through TRA again, probably after I finish Legend.
The weird thing is I set it to hard. I'm not quite sure why I didn't get the trophy. Oh well I will play it again one day.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just completed Legend. It's my first Tomb Raider game that I've actually finished (because the PS1 Tomb Raiders were clunky as hell and almost unplayable). I've gotta say I'm really liking this trilogy, looking forward to play Anniversary and Underworld but I gotta platinum Legend first.

Ellis Kim

Banned
This might be asking a lot of GAF, but I'd like to put out a request for some HD capture footage of the game to help expand this thread's appeal for anyone who's curious and hasn't jumped on yet.

I'd also like to open up a discussion for potential GAF-made fan cover art replacements for this particular HD trilogy release, in style of the GAF collection thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357454

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat Underworld, thus my first playthrough of the Trilogy's finally complete. =] It's a shame they pushed it out the door so quickly, 'cause there's some really brilliant stuff even though the whole game doesn't really achieve a cohesiveness. With some polish and editing, it could have been amazing... Still, I found it overall to be pretty enjoyable, largely thanks to the incredible engine - some great vistas/environments that often had me pausing to just look around and admire the detail.

It's a shame there's so much dead space in between the decent puzzles, especially when they introduced the bike and therefore added long corridors which serve no other purpose than for you to drive down. And the "Norse myth" ruins all kinda started to look samey in the middle. Sad because getting to them (opening the gate, the jungle or water areas before, etc.) was a lot of fun. It simply missed the scope of Anniversary's level-wide puzzles (Thailand came pretty close, Mexico was a bit clunky but I appreciated the try, and I liked how they treated the "boss battles" as large puzzles) and variety of Legend.

And many of the extras from TRL and TRA are just completely absent for some reason. No cutscene viewer, no Croft Manor, etc... Did like the relics and increased health though (which they took to another level in LCGoL).

Still, CD really tightened things up with LCGoL and they have a much longer development period for the reboot so... I'm really excited to see what comes next.

Ellis Kim said:
I'd also like to open up a discussion for potential GAF-made fan cover art replacements for this particular HD trilogy release, in style of the GAF collection thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357454
Hmm, I could try whipping up something this weekend. I've never done a custom cover before, but it seems like fun.

EDIT: Yo, can someone scan or take a photo of the spine of the boxart for the Trilogy? I'm curious as to how they handled it, since I can't really cram the logo into the narrow space without it looking silly.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
2 quick mockups in the minimal-with-concept-art style that seems so popular in the PS3 Redesign Cover Thread.

ZUnOx.jpg

dIlry.jpg

I'll try to incorporate assets from all 3 games into a cover and I have some ideas for something more in line with the GAF Collection... both are a lot more involved.

gdt

Hmm, can someone help me out?

In Southern Mexico, after
I move both calenders to the right place, I hop on my bike to go down the passage way that opened in the middle of the field/ball court (as the game calls it). But the thing closes up if I don't get there in time. Now Lara says I have to reset the calenders, but neither of them will move an inch :/.
What am I supposed to do?

gdt

I went on GameFaqs, and it says
that I have to go back to the first calender, and move it back into alignment, but that doesn't move either. Doesn't look out of alignment.

Edit: Read more FAQs, yeah, I think my game is bugged. Neither of the calenders are out of alignment and neither will budge.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
gdt5016 said:
I went on GameFaqs, and it says
that I have to go back to the first calender, and move it back into alignment, but that doesn't move either. Doesn't look out of alignment.

Edit: Read more FAQs, yeah, I think my game is bugged. Neither of the calenders are out of alignment and neither will budge.
Did you pick up the Jaguar Head and Stone Headdress? Each of them is a missing piece of the calendar puzzles that you need to place to get them turning.

One should be in the first building you pass in the level and another is in a building through an archway/tunnel thing (it's one of the paths at the crossroads between the calendar puzzles and the ball court).

gdt

ExMachina said:
Did you pick up the Jaguar Head and Stone Headdress? Each of them is a missing piece of the calendar puzzles that you need to place to get them turning.

One should be in the first building you pass in the level and another is in a building through an archway/tunnel thing (it's one of the paths at the crossroads between the calendar puzzles and the ball court).

Yep.

I'm stuck after that, when you open the underground path and have to make it down within a certain amount of time.

krae_man

Okay, does anyone know that the heck that extra rock sphere is for in the second level of Legend is for?

It's not needed to solve the puzzle.

Trick_GSF

Banned
krae_man said:
Okay, does anyone know that the heck that extra rock sphere is for in the second level of Legend is for?

It's not needed to solve the puzzle.

If you're talking about what I think you are, you put it on the middle plate and you'll get a Golden Artifact.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
gdt5016 said:
Yep.

I'm stuck after that, when you open the underground path and have to make it down within a certain amount of time.
Ah, gotcha. That sucks, man - what a terrible bug... Apparently the only way to fix it is to try restarting the level. =/

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/underworld/walkthrough/bugs.html

Maybe the above link (or Stella's spoiler free version) should be posted in the OP as a warning to anyone about to play TRU, since the collection version still seems buggy.

RobertM

I'm a big hater of the current Tomb Raider games but I had to check out Underworld to seal my hating deal. Not surprising that it felt almost the same as Legend and Anniversary; handholdy, linear, and nonsensical slowmos during combat are still present. Who also though it was a good idea to put "secret" items into jars? The secret part became meaningless and just feeds on the OCD of people making sure to break all the jars, but there were a few that you had to actually find; still, 30 secrets or so per level, the fuck? Secondary weapons are kind of useless and just there for you to mess around with once you get bored of dual pistols, but wtf happened to actually finding new weapons and ammo? I guess it was too much for some...weaklings. The game does open up a bit in Southern Mexico and Jan Mayen Island, and it's the only two locations that I felt Tomb Raider-esque with multiple paths and exploration. It still has magnetic jumping, extruded and clearly defined ledges, but no more QTEs, so they've learned something.

My biggest pet peeve though, there was no sense of danger. There's an abundance of checkpoints, unlimited ammo for the pistols and you don't even have to bother with secondary weapon, no health packs, auto saving every few steps, so where's the danger of dying? There is none. The game never makes you feel like the enemies pose any danger when you can just die and respawn in pretty much the same location, and then there was the auto-lock system...and hammer of Thor.

So how can I like Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider over the olds one? I can't, the game became more akin to Prince of Persia 3d than the exploration heavy, illusory feeling of freedom, slow paced, and challenging Tomb Raider. Anyone who thinks these are anything like the original Tomb Raiders are deluding themselves, because Mirrors Edge is closer to Tomb Raider than the current Tomb Raider( be it Legends, Anniversary, or Underworld) will ever be.

krae_man

Trick_GSF said:
If you're talking about what I think you are, you put it on the middle plate and you'll get a Golden Artifact.

Crap that's right. I remember that now. But I seem to recall not needing that boulder to do it.

RobertM said:
So how can I like Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider over the olds one? I can't, the game became more akin to Prince of Persia 3d than the exploration heavy, illusory feeling of freedom, slow paced, and challenging Tomb Raider. Anyone who thinks these are anything like the original Tomb Raiders are deluding themselves...

:)

i don't hate the cd trs - but, yeah, i don't like them nearly as much as the originals. you are absolutely correct - the features that made the original series so unique & enjoyable are pretty much either awol, or dumbed down to the point of irrelevancy. imaginative, challenging level design's been replaced by souped-up short attention span nonsense, but what else is new? it's just the way things're done now (unfortunately)...

RobertM said:
I'm a big hater of the current Tomb Raider games but I had to check out Underworld to seal my hating deal. Not surprising that it felt almost the same as Legend and Anniversary; handholdy, linear, and nonsensical slowmos during combat are still present. Who also though it was a good idea to put "secret" items into jars? The secret part became meaningless and just feeds on the OCD of people making sure to break all the jars, but there were a few that you had to actually find; still, 30 secrets or so per level, the fuck? Secondary weapons are kind of useless and just there for you to mess around with once you get bored of dual pistols, but wtf happened to actually finding new weapons and ammo? I guess it was too much for some...weaklings. The game does open up a bit in Southern Mexico and Jan Mayen Island, and it's the only two locations that I felt Tomb Raider-esque with multiple paths and exploration. It still has magnetic jumping, extruded and clearly defined ledges, but no more QTEs, so they've learned something.

My biggest pet peeve though, there was no sense of danger. There's an abundance of checkpoints, unlimited ammo for the pistols and you don't even have to bother with secondary weapon, no health packs, auto saving every few steps, so where's the danger of dying? There is none. The game never makes you feel like the enemies pose any danger when you can just die and respawn in pretty much the same location, and then there was the auto-lock system...and hammer of Thor.

So how can I like Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider over the olds one? I can't, the game became more akin to Prince of Persia 3d than the exploration heavy, illusory feeling of freedom, slow paced, and challenging Tomb Raider. Anyone who thinks these are anything like the original Tomb Raiders are deluding themselves, because Mirrors Edge is closer to Tomb Raider than the current Tomb Raider( be it Legends, Anniversary, or Underworld) will ever be.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Anniversary IS the original Tomb Raider

gdt

ExMachina said:
Ah, gotcha. That sucks, man - what a terrible bug... Apparently the only way to fix it is to try restarting the level. =/

Maybe the above link (or Stella's spoiler free version) should be posted in the OP as a warning to anyone about to play TRU, since the collection version still seems buggy.

Ahhhhh fuck. Anyway for me to just select levels? I can't seem to do it from the PDA.

If I can't, this shit is getting dropped.

RobertM

cpp_is_king said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but Anniversary IS the original Tomb Raider
Yeah, it has Tomb Raider in its name so it must be the same game, right? Yeah no. Besides the iconic places and encounters it never captures the feel nor creates the illusion of freedom, and how did you like those QTE boss fights? Tomb Raider is a slow methodical exploration based game and not an action game.

RobertM said:
Yeah, it has Tomb Raider in its name so it must be the same game, right? Yeah no. Besides the iconic places and encounters it never captures the feel nor creates the illusion of freedom, and how did you like those QTE boss fights? Tomb Raider is a slow methodical exploration based game and not an action game.

Umm, TR:A is a faithful remake of the original Tomb Raider. Aside from the QTEs and cutscenes, it is actually the original tomb raider. Like, actually. For real. I think pole swinging might be the only thing in TR:A that wasn't in the original. The levels are virtually identical, with updated graphics. The difference is you probably played TR1 in 1996 when the design was revolutionary. Also, TR1 might have been harder.

Budr

cpp_is_king said:
Umm, TR:A is a faithful remake of the original Tomb Raider. Aside from the QTEs and cutscenes, it is actually the original tomb raider. Like, actually. For real. I think pole swinging might be the only thing in TR:A that wasn't in the original. The levels are virtually identical, with updated graphics. The difference is you probably played TR1 in 1996 when the design was revolutionary. Also, TR1 might have been harder.

I think a fairly major point with regard to Robert's grievance with the lack of exploration and freedom in the new games is the different jumping and ledge grabbing systems. In the originals, the jumps were a predefined length and the grabbing was inclusive, ie the level geometry was created and any horizontal vertex could be grabbed. In the new games you can jump to and grab only those ledges that the developer has decided to allow. This changes the flow of the gameplay quite significantly, as you move from always eyeing gaps and gauging distances on the look out for little exploratory forks to resigning yourself to following the path laid before you. I'm not trying to make out that TR1 was something it wasn't; I know that almost all the forks led to dead ends very quickly but the fun was in the clambering around on the off chance. I think it sort of ties into the control changes. People shit over the tank controls in retrospect but I'm sure I can't be the only one who enjoyed the regimentation of it.

ban25

Just finished the Tokyo level in TRL and had a blast. I did have a laugh at the tiled skybox. If you got the camera just right, you could almost get Tokyo Tower doubled up on screen. But a great level and a change of pace from Peru.

TripOpt55

I've been chipping away at some of the stuff I missed in Anni. I got all the time trials done except the first and last ones of Greece. And I still need 2 artifacts in various levels as well I think. I don't think the time trials are bad at all. They usually only take one or two tries.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Budr said:
I think a fairly major point with regard to Robert's grievance with the lack of exploration and freedom in the new games is the different jumping and ledge grabbing systems. In the originals, the jumps were a predefined length and the grabbing was inclusive, ie the level geometry was created and any horizontal vertex could be grabbed. In the new games you can jump to and grab only those ledges that the developer has decided to allow. This changes the flow of the gameplay quite significantly, as you move from always eyeing gaps and gauging distances on the look out for little exploratory forks to resigning yourself to following the path laid before you. I'm not trying to make out that TR1 was something it wasn't; I know that almost all the forks led to dead ends very quickly but the fun was in the clambering around on the off chance. I think it sort of ties into the control changes. People shit over the tank controls in retrospect but I'm sure I can't be the only one who enjoyed the regimentation of it.
Yes, especially to the bolded part. The game went from a simulation with set rules for Lara's jumps and what she could grab to a guided tour through a pretty environment. And Lara's controls in the original were nearly essential for that kind of "regimented" gameplay, to adopt your word for it.

And, no, you weren't the only one who enjoyed the original for these very qualities.

TripOpt55

I just finished the time trials for Anniversary. They really weren't bad at all. I was all worried about St. Francis' Folly, but it wasn't too bad. It took two tries and I beat the time by about three minutes the second time. It's really just about knowing the routes and the order to do things.

I still need to do it on hard though. Is there a way to start a new game on Hard? Or can I just go through each level on replay and beat it on hard to get the trophy?

Ellis Kim

Banned
ExMachina said:

I'll get on that as soon as I am close to a computer of some kind. Also, great ps3 redesign cover style covers; I like the two choice concept art areas.

krae_man

I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get out of England after I beat the Boss on that level. I gave up and went to youtube and realised it was because the elevator you use to get back out didn't spawn.

Dying in the fire water and restarting from my last checkpoint fixed it but still god damn annoying.

TripOpt55

krae_man said:
I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get out of England after I beat the Boss on that level. I gave up and went to youtube and realised it was because the elevator you use to get back out didn't spawn.

Dying in the fire water and restarting from my last checkpoint fixed it but still god damn annoying.
Same thing happened to me. I had played it before and thought the elevator was supposed to be there, but it had been so long, I thought I might have to trigger it down or something. Then I tried killing myself and sure enough the elevator was there.

Jigsaw

Banned
just finished greece in anniversary and the framerate is terrible imo,feels like 20-25 fps,maybe even 15fps in an open area when you rotate the camera,it's awful

krae_man

Alright Just beat Legend. Now I need to go back and get the remaining treasures, and the Time Trials.

I had another weird glitch in England where the two bronze treasures at the beginning of the level you have to use your grapple to get respawned. I had 8 of the 9 bronze ones before I got to the top and noticed them and it let me grab them again and said I had 9/9 afterwards and after I beat the level it said I only had 8 like I should have had.

TripOpt55

I just finished all the time trials in Legend. I am still missing a bunch of treasures though. I need to work on that. I looked pretty hard in some of the levels too. I'll need to take another sweep I guess.

Picked this up over the weekend. I never played the PC version of Anniversary but, I did have a copy for PS2 but never finished it. I was there when the original was released on PC so I really wanted to try out Anni on the PS3.

IMO, the game really looks sweet, and it's a treat to go back in time with this game. I don't know how it fares technically compared to Underworld but, Anniversary just looks so pretty. It's easy on the eyes, no nasty blowouts with the lighting like in Legend, nice even polygon counts and very nice texture work throughout the game. It just looks like they really took their time with the game itself. I love the color pallets and the water, fire, ice, is all very nice looking too. I know it isn't Drakes Fortune but, man I really think they did the game justice and even left in some glitches. I actually feel justified paying $40 for the collection even though I doubt I'll play through Legend.

As for Underworld, well I already beat it and I tried to play Legend but the game looks so darn ugly compared to the other two games I just can't play it. I tried playing it on 360 back when it came out and didn't like the game-play anyway so I assume I'm not missing much.

Now they just need to re-release The Last Revelation.

RobertM

Sagitario said:
Would you recommend this for someone who hasn't played a TR game ever?
Do you like Prince of Persia? Well it's that but with guns. It's not the same experience as the original Tomb Raiders so you can't even compare this trilogy to the past games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I was about to get the Gold Reward in Kazakhstan until a soldier shot me and I got stuck between the tiny gaps which caused the "eternal jump position" bug.

Fix this shit, Crystal Dynamics. Tomb Raider Legends and Anniversary were pretty buggy. :/

BTW, is there anyway to speed up the Kazakhstan Motorbike Sequence. Finishing the Time Trial in 30 minutes is almost impossible. :/

krae_man

ULTROS! said:
I was about to get the Gold Reward in Kazakhstan until a soldier shot me and I got stuck between the tiny gaps which caused the "eternal jump position" bug.

Fix this shit, Crystal Dynamics. Tomb Raider Legends and Anniversary were pretty buggy. :/

BTW, is there anyway to speed up the Kazakhstan Motorbike Sequence. Finishing the Time Trial in 30 minutes is almost impossible. :/

Use the One Shot Kill Cheat(You unlock it by completing the time trial for Bolivia Redux). I beat Kazakhstan with 7+ minutes to spare.

Also just run through the beginning before the bike part, don't worry about killing anyone who isn't directly in your path.

ULTROS!

krae_man said:
Use the One Shot Kill Cheat(You unlock it by completing the time trial for Bolivia Redux). I beat Kazakhstan with 7+ minutes to spare.

Also just run through the beginning before the bike part, don't worry about killing anyone who isn't directly in your path.

My God I never knew there were cheats.

Thanks ye!

ban25

ULTROS! said:

That one was a real bitch to get. It took me awhile to figure out how to use the magnetic lifter thing to actually move the platform into position.

Also, the motorcycle sequence is definitely too long.

ULTROS!

Finally, I got Tomb Raider Legend's platinum. 6th platinum since last year, 1st platinum of the year!

Top Bottom