• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Bennett talks about 9/11, Iraq War, claims Bush admitted Iraq was mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marleyman

Banned
gty_tony_bennett_jp_110908_wblog.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...ut-we-caused-it/?rss=rss-wabc-snippet-7091254

Bennett, 65 years after leaving his military life behind, has sold over 50 million albums and developed definite opinions about other wars involving the United States.

“To start a war in Iraq was a tremendous, tremendous mistake internationally,” he said.

Stern then asked Bennett about how America should deal with terrorists, specifically those responsible for the 2001 attack on the World Trade Center.

“But who are the terrorists? Are we the terrorists or are they the terrorists? Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Bennett said.

In a soft-spoken voice, the singer disagreed with Stern’s premise that 9/11 terrorists’ actions led to U.S. military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“They flew the plane in, but we caused it,” Bennett responded. “Because we were bombing them and they told us to stop.”

Following seconds of silence, Stern said that his guest was “making some good points.”

Before leaving, Bennett recalled an evening in 2005 when he was honored at the Kennedy Center. Meeting President George W. Bush at the event, the singer said that the commander-in-chief shared his opinion about the Iraq War.

“He told me personally that night that, he said, ‘I think I made a mistake,’” Bennett said.

Bennett believed that the president made this revelation because “he had a special liking to me.”

Marleyman

Banned
I respect his opinion since he did fight in WWII and actually knows what war is like, unlike most hawks I run into.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Iraq was still part of the Ottoman Empire just 6 years before he was born.

Marleyman

Banned
GG-Duo said:
I cringed from reading this. He's right, but now he's going to be attacked by the phrasing that he used :(

The warhawks and right are going to eat him alive for the way he worded it. No more Florida retirement community concerts for him!

shuri

Banned
The comments on that site are hilarious; its like people read random lines from the articles and are attacking him for that. They are all somehow focusing on that line about seeing his first dead german and they interpret it as him having only seen one body during his entire tour.. What the hell. It's almost as if the entire comment section is being generated by one guy making tons of fake accounts.

I mean, he saw the last few months of the war, where people were at the most hardcore and desperate.. He probably saw some stuff that would shatter the minds of people making dumb comments about him on the internet

Who knows. Certainly Bush will deny ever having said so.

Considering the cost in dollars and lives, I really don't think one can make a rational justification for that war. I don't really give a crap what Bush thinks.

Marleyman

Banned
shuri said:
The comments on that site are hilarious; its like people read random lines from the articles and are attacking him for that. They are all somehow focusing on that line about seeing his first dead german and they interpret it as him having only seen one body during his entire tour.. What the hell. It's almost as if the entire comment section is being generated by one guy making tons of fake accounts.

I mean, he saw the last few months of the war, where people were at the most hardcore and desperate.. He probably saw some stuff that would shatter the minds of people making dumb comments about him on the internet

The comments are ridiculous.

devenger

adamsappel said:
Good stuff. I checked your username to see if you were the Count.

Comparison to the Dook and a Kane clap.gif.

Consider me retired.

I don't think Tony gives a shit about backlash.

so who's watching Tony and Carrie Underwood on their special guest performance on this week's episode of the CBS hit drama Blue Bloods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom