• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Shred |OT| Are you one of the 3,000 people who bought this game?

Sean

Banned
Snuggler said:
Don't count on it.

Didn't they get shut down? Or maybe I'm thinking of some one else.

RoboModo are the ones who got shut down.

Activision basically took the series away from Neversoft and gave it to a new developer (robomodo). This new dev did an even shittier job and ran the franchise further into the ground, now they're all fired.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kind of sad that it looks like there are not one but TWO better skateboarding games released this year, and Shaun White doesn't even look that great.

TEJ

Raw64life said:
Just remake Tony Hawk 1-3. It would be cheaper to make and it would sell better too.

Didn't THPS1-2 get remade for the xbox? I vaguely remember they released that for the system before THPS3 made it to the system.

Xav

I liked the series when it was called Pro Skater, then I saw a video of someone driving a car in Tony Hawk Underground I think it's called and it was at that point that I quit the series. Screw Shred, I'll stick to my copy of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on Dreamcast.

Ridley327

TEJ said:
Didn't THPS1-2 get remade for the xbox? I vaguely remember they released that for the system before THPS3 made it to the system.
Yeah, that was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X. It was pretty rad. IIRC, it also had levels that none of the other games have seen, too.

1191llg.gif

How long does the Acti/Hawk contract last? 2015? I guess we will see games all the way up to that point, regardless of quality, as otherwise Kotick would be giving someone money for nothing - and that would make him angry!

Does anyone have sales numbers for Tony Hawk Ride sales numbers? I'm curious to see if it really bombed.

Also, this thread is the first I've heard of this game. :/ I must be out of the gaming loop.

MattPeters said:
Does anyone have sales numbers for Tony Hawk Ride sales numbers? I'm curious to see if it really bombed.

Also, this thread is the first I've heard of this game. :/ I must be out of the gaming loop.

First month is US was 114,000, when it dropped of the NPD numbers. It never charted on the weekly charts in UK (Top 40). It was selling for £50 (half-price) about a month after release on UK online stores, and currently retail everywhere for about £29.99.

I played Tony Hawk 1 & 2 the other day and had a blast with them. Too bad most of the games after those are garbage. The franchise just needs to die. I couldn't care less about these games anymore sadly.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Mush said:
WHY MALTO WHY?

WHY DUFFEL WHY?

WHY DAVID WHY?
Because they're getting paid. I don't think they care about the quality of the game.

Somebody needs to step in and make another quality skateboarding game. Shaun White and Tony Hawk look beyond terrible and the Skate series needs some serious competition.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Raw64life said:
Just remake Tony Hawk 1-3. It would be cheaper to make and it would sell better too.

Next HD remake confirmed...

I remember when a new Tony Hawk game was an event. Those first couple of games where classic. Now, I couldn't even tell you the names of the last 5-6 games.

MrDaravon

I literally had no idea this game existed or was coming out this year. I've been re-listening to Bombcasts recently and just passed the one where they talked about Ride (after it came out) and was thinking that it was a good call that Activision was giving them at least a year off. Apparently not :lol

Haunted

Do we really need an |OT| for every shovelware title released?

Oh well. They should've bundled this with an additional snowboard peripheral, even bigger and more unwieldy than the last one. You know, totally going for broke and stuff.

Wormdundee said:
This series peaked with THPS2. I don't even know how much I played that game, some ridiculous amount.
I disagree, the series peaked with 3 which perfectly refined the concept of chaining tricks together while keeping the core gameplay principals of the first two games intact. 4 is where they started to go away from what made the series great initially.

Sean

Banned
Wormdundee said:
This series peaked with THPS2. I don't even know how much I played that game, some ridiculous amount.

I agree that THPS2 was the high point of the series but 3 and 4 were also quite good.

It started to go downhill with THUG. Too much focus on story and also getting off your board was a pretty lame addition. Neversoft got GTA envy and fucked up the entire series, no more charm, a gritty "realistic" world, you could drive cars and shit... Stupid.

GcRayden

I've actually lived off the series as a kid and played it to death, so I was very sad to see TH games start to fall downhill. My whole life revolved around TH games, I even met my wife on Thps4 (moved from IL to VA, just married in may). When the board controller was first announced, I started on my own skateboarding game for the Xbox Live Indie Games.

I took all the inspiration that I gained from the series and created a new game a lot like Thps1 - Thps4, but in a whole different style and added a whole different gameplay mechanic that made the game totally different, but once you bust out the controller, all of that nostalgia comes right back.

We will probably be done with it before Magfest and will be handing out free copies at the event.

Here are some videos:

A very very old trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzR8B6x9oo&hd=1

Combo & Animation Testing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrAtu9z9AU&hd=1

And a cool little feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUejMP-th4&hd=1

I don't mean to go off the subject, but I thought that hopefully you guys can find some hope in these videos, I've been working really hard to make this game bring back what was lost in the past with a new original game. Let me know what you think!

thetechkid

T-Matt said:
THUG was a glitch clusterfuck. THPS3 is clearly better.

The glitches were what made THUG so much fun, free roaming levels and doing stuff you shouldn't be able to is fun. THPS3, imo, had nothing that was memorable besides being boring.

thetechkid said:
The glitches were what made THUG so much fun, free roaming levels and doing stuff you shouldn't be able to is fun. THPS3, imo, had nothing that was memorable besides being boring.

I think part of the reason THPS3 always left somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth was also the music. Coming from 1 and 2, 3 seemed characterized by grating pop-punk. Even music-aside, THUG was just a better game. I had more fun with the objectives and the freedom and it was still before the series became stupidly outlandish (American Wasteland/all the shit with Bam Margera) or a half-assed attempt to go back to its roots (Project 8).

I bought a dreamcast a couple months back and got THPS1 with it and it was still as addictive as it was when I was in the 8th grade.

T-Matt

thetechkid said:
Being able to reset your rail balance is what I didn't like. I do however actually like THUG's story mode.

Top Bottom