• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Shred |OT| Are you one of the 3,000 people who bought this game?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
butter_stick said:
Skate had some brief success but now that's failing to make much of a connection too.

It's failing to make a connection because EA, like Activision, has to whore out one nearly every year while not changing too much in the gameplay department.

"Flick-it" was innovative the first time and sure .Skate2/3's fixed some of it's issues with it and others, but it's not worth spending $60 for a year only to see a new ".Skate" sequel out with a new town or a tweaked old town.

Skating genre could hit it big, but like the music game genre it's gotten too many games yearly to where no one wants anything to do with them. If Activision and EA both laid off them and went back to the drawing board and did something NEW, people would probably jump back on board (pun not intended) for that outing.

TheSeks

butter_stick said:
I always assumed people bought Skate, realised how difficult it is to control and just gave up on it.

That's also part of the issue, but that's main the issue with "flick-it" and the physics. Skate has die-hard fans and some actual skaters like the "flick-it" mechanic as it's "similar to actually using a skateboard for tricks" (whatever that means) but while ollie/jumping the board is easy to understand: it's a simple down and forward on the right-thumbstick on 360/PS3, the gravity/physics are screwed up to where doing ollies or trying to get a grind on is hard to do. The demos for Skate make this apparent.

The grinding issue is a simple fix, toggle magnetic grinding on or off for those that want an "authentic" skating experience. The gravity is tricky, as Skate is trying to be a casual and hardcore game, but it fails at both. If it's going to go the Tony Hawk/arcade approach it needs to do it and be done with it. Same with the hardcore physics, but it needs assists to make skating fun for the casuals.

But the biggest issue is that EA has put out three "Skate" games in the same number of years and the only thing that's really hugely changed besides small tweaks to the physics is the area you skate in.

On the subject of Skate: I thought the first Skate was absolutely amazing. I think the controls are perfect for a skating game, and I became really good at it. Hell, that's one of my most played games on XBL. Skate 2 was a little of a disappointment for me. I liked the challenges you could do with friends over XBL, but the game itself felt lacking. I sensed too much of an arcade flavor to it, and that's just not my thing. I haven't even played Skate 3 yet. It has to be better than this Tony Hawk pile of shit, however.

My experience with Skate was mainly wanting a THPS camera and control scheme and throwing the controller at the wall when I kept fucking up.

TheSeks

butter_stick said:
My experience with Skate was mainly wanting a THPS camera and control scheme and throwing the controller at the wall when I kept fucking up.

They could easily do that, but why would they? Skate's identity/difference to Tony Hawk is the whole "flick-it" mechanic.

Skate 2/3 (IIRC) added too many tricks to that, to where using it isn't as simple and easy as it was in Skate 1. But eh... like I said, it has fans and I like it but it could be better.

Ben Pierce said:
haven't even played Skate 3 yet.

You should try the demo. You probably can't take it online anymore but you can skate around a small area and try the three "difficulty"/physics settings. I couldn't get into any of them, felt like it was having an identity crisis between arcade or simulation.

While my talk with Hirshberg was mainly concentrated on Black Ops, I couldn’t help but ask about the dismal performance of Tony Hawk Shred in the most recent NPD report. The game, released Oct. 26, sold just 3,000 copies in October, according to Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz.

Critics pointed to the poor review scores and lack of marketing for the shockingly low numbers, but Hirschberg says the story hasn’t fully played out yet.

“The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” for example, has just named Shred as one of the 12 top gifts for the holiday season, he says. And the target audience for this installment of the franchise is much different than it has been in the past.

“There’s hopefully a method to that madness,” he says. “For the first time we’re targeting that game to kids. It’s a gift-oriented game, but, that said, we need to build awareness for the game still. … I think you’ll hopefully see a bigger ramp-up as we get further into the gift giving season.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...erg_On_Black_Ops_Tony_Hawk_Shred_And_More.php

I would of thought the best method for this franchise would be to make it a download title from PSN and Xbox live?

They could either remake the originals in HD and have a basic version for free where you buy extra skaters/maps for a nominal fee or alternatively you could buy everything straight away for maybe $10?

I for one would be keen on this sort of system as id love a new game in the old style, not this madness with horrendously crappy skateboards. I just want to use my normal controller and play in the classic way! What is wrong with this Activision!?

I just noticed that the game is out, because I watched the gametrailers (yeah yeah...) review of it.

GOOD FUCKING GOD! How can you ruin one of the most successful sports franchises?

Was waiting in line today at the store to pickup Zelda and saw this :D:D
Do you ever think they get rid of them? :p.

2qxw768.jpg

Cornbread78

LOL, Wal-Mart finally recalled all of the Tony Hawk crap and all the Band Hero crap back to Activision.... It was collecting dust for years.....

Top Bottom