• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Shred |OT| Are you one of the 3,000 people who bought this game?

Xater

Give the franchise back to Neversoft! As much as everyone shat on their later games they were still beter than this and I assume sold better.

Dresden

THPS2 was the best one in the series... not to complicated, not bogged down by anything more than manuals, it was just a clear improvement in every way from the original without going overboard on the technical details. Just pure fun.

Darklord

Banned
Surely shareholders can't be too happy with Bobby? Guitar Hero sold poorly, DJ Hero 2 sold average, Blood Stone sold poorly, this BOMBED. Yeah, he might be doing well with CoD and WoW but everything else is a wreck.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Darklord said:
Surely shareholders can't be too happy with Bobby? Guitar Hero sold poorly, DJ Hero 2 sold average, Blood Stone sold poorly, this BOMBED. Yeah, he might be doing well with CoD and WoW but everything else is a wreck.
But he is a captain of industry.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dresden said:
THPS2 was the best one in the series... not to complicated, not bogged down by anything more than manuals, it was just a clear improvement in every way from the original without going overboard on the technical details. Just pure fun.
I liked 3 the most, just due to the courses and odd unlockable characters. Maybe Activision should just make HD Updates of the older games, should sell more copies.

Xater

Drkirby said:
I liked 3 the most, just due to the courses and odd unlockable characters. Maybe Activision should just make HD Updates of the older games, should sell more copies.

My favorite is 4 because there was no time limit until you started a challenge.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
webrunner said:
Is this numerically the biggest flop in the industry this year? I'd like to see a "least sold" list of actually in-stores-everywhere games.
Hail to the Chief sold apparently like 500-600 copies in its first month.

speculawyer said:
I like how the conversation naturally moves to a happier time in the Tony Hawk franchise.
Probably because thinking about the series now is like thinking about other once great properties that have since fallen off a fucking cliff.

Remember Mortal Kombat after Deadly Alliance? Its like that

Haunted

The word bomba was invented for a case like this.

*salutes* another franchise sacrificed on the altar of Activision's peripheral mania and greed.

rhino4evr

Personally I think the revert and the manual kind of ruined the franchise for me.. It made the the game become nothing more then trying to do one long ass combo. The game is more fun when you are forced to make several combos to win. I remember playing online and people would just be going in circles on one long trick..hell I did it too, but that gets boring quickly.

-PXG-

Robomodo laid off 30 people last month. They either had a lot of people on temporary contract, or they knew the game was DOA. I wouldn't be too surprised if more people lost their jobs at this point. Though the game is published by Activision, I believe they're still independent.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_dementia said:
:lol

This niche anime-styled fighting game sold twice as many units its debut month on its solitary one platform, and I thought that was bad.
This is so strange.

Arc System Works > Tony Hawk. Confirmed.

Dresden said:

Move to pass resolution #153

3 became just do 1 trick and keep the hoop moving down the road with a stick. But in 3 Wolverine specials in a row could really rack up the score.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is failuretolaunch.jpg still funny? If so:

U04Aq.jpg

(Sorry for the rushjob. I was in a hurry since Conan's coming on soon.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
~Kinggi~ said:
Kotick fits that body a lot better than horseface.

Feeds on dead franchises instead of hay as well. More cost effective?

I played the shit out of Tony Hawk PS 1's PSX demo. And that's about as far as I got with the series until Underground 1. Which wasn't bad, but the story mode was kinda blech. I did enjoy being able to climb up someplace and drop the skateboard and myself off them to much injury or success, however.

Curufinwe

Edge issue 220, page 71. A quote from Bobby Kotick:

For ten iterations of Tony Hawk, you weren't really skateboarding, it was.. thumbing. And when we finally figured out how to build a skateboard - I think we could have probably done a better job on the first game, but I think we've nailed it on Shred - that experience, you just can't duplicate it.

To me, that's moving the medium forward, and physical interfacing I think is a really important part of the future. So, yes, we're going to keep making physical interface products if we think it's going to enhance the experience - and we have some really cool ones for next year.

shuri

Banned
Str0ngStyle said:
Probably because thinking about the series now is like thinking about other once great properties that have since fallen off a fucking cliff.

Remember Mortal Kombat after Deadly Alliance? Its like that
uhh

each mk game from DA and beyond sold a million+ units..

Sean

Banned
3,000 sales ouch :lol

This would probably be the death of the THPS franchise, but didn't Activision sign some insane fifteen year deal with Tony Hawk back in the PS2-era? I wonder if they'll keep making more, they've got the license until like 2017 or something.

fabprems

I love the OP :D

Anyway, we're laughing at the Tony Hawk franchise, but we should know that's what happens when you are milking out a franchise...
In five year from now, I'm sure there will be a "CoD Shred : Are you one of the 2500 players who downloaded this game in your brain ?"

fabprems said:
I love the OP :D

Anyway, we're laughing at the Tony Hawk franchise, but we should know that's what happens when you are milking out a franchise...
In five year from now, I'm sure there will be a "CoD Shred : Are you one of the 2500 players who downloaded this game in your brain ?"
There's little reason to make that connection. TH didn't stop selling because it was "milked", just look at the countless sports games that come out each year and can sell. It's a case of quality. Up until THUG2, Tony Hawks was a consistently good franchise, but it just never found it's place this generation without losing the simplicity that made it popular in the first place.

If they were good games, Ride/Shred would be a good example of innovating with a franchise to keep it relevant. Unfortunately, they're not.

Brera

Banned
I remember when Tony Hawks was a AAA title.

Shame I never got round to playing it.

Day 1 for downloadable remakes!

Night_Trekker said:
That reminds me: new Skate or Die game plz.

EDIT:

Beaten :(

Yeah, or at least Skate or Die DLC for the Skate game. C'mon EA, that's a genius idea! They're both yours, right? Jousting, Downhill, Half Pipe... Ahhh, that'd be cooool! Semper Fi or Die!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
butter_stick said:
There's little reason to make that connection. TH didn't stop selling because it was "milked", just look at the countless sports games that come out each year and can sell. It's a case of quality. Up until THUG2, Tony Hawks was a consistently good franchise, but it just never found it's place this generation without losing the simplicity that made it popular in the first place.

If they were good games, Ride/Shred would be a good example of innovating with a franchise to keep it relevant. Unfortunately, they're not.
That's kind of an apples and oranges thing, because there's no natural obsolescence in a skating game due to roster updates. Yearly sequels took their toll on Skate sales as well.

SapientWolf said:
That's kind of an apples and oranges thing, because there's no natural obsolescence in a skating game due to roster updates. Yearly sequels took their toll on Skate sales as well.

Fair enough. But the fact is review scores went down with the reduced sales. There's an obvious relationship between quality and sales.

TH, for all it's faults, managed to keep itself pretty great for 6 years in a row. I find it hard to mock the franchise when it gave me so much greatness :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
butter_stick said:
Fair enough. But the fact is review scores went down with the reduced sales. There's an obvious relationship between quality and sales.

TH, for all it's faults, managed to keep itself pretty great for 6 years in a row. I find it hard to mock the franchise when it gave me so much greatness :(
If a company releases a safe sequel that doesn't improve much on the original the score tends to go down, rather than stay the same, due to higher expectations. Sequels are expected to improve and innovate over their predecessors.

If people are saying the series peaked with 4 then that's not a good sign for such a prolific franchise.

SapientWolf said:
If a company releases a safe sequel that doesn't improve much on the original the score tends to go down, rather than stay the same, due to higher expectations. Sequels are expected to improve and innovate over their predecessors.

If people are saying the series peaked with 4 then that's not a good sign for such a prolific franchise.
The problem with TH is it did try too hard to add new things. Just compare THPS2 to THUG2 to Ride. The issue with the games wasn't so much not adding new things, it was that it just didn't seem to appeal to people once this generation of hardware arrived, like a lot of genres. Skate had some brief success but now that's failing to make much of a connection too.

Top Bottom