• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

milsorgen

Banned
Fragmenting your moveset over levels is just dumb. Score-based games require the moveset to become second nature. Having a changing moveset, and something so basic as a revert being the changing factor, doesn't help this.

I'm sure people will learn to adapt and all; it's just really inelegant.

Personally I think THPS3 moves should stay in THPS3 period. Same with 1&2, you shouldn't able to manual on 1's maps, but from the looks of it that is exactly what they've done.

beanman25

Damn. That is quite the demand to just unlock an outfit. Also seems silly as once you've completed the game with a skater, you're more likely to move on to other skaters, thus rendering additional outfits a lot less exciting.

It would be better if the secondary outfits were cooler.

I've been playing through Tony Hawk 1 and 2 for PS1 on my PS3 in anticipation of the PS3 HD remake. It's incredibly gratifying watching myself improve at the first game, which is hard to come back to after later installments. Falling/crashing less now, and I just cleared Downhill Jam!

I have been calling around locally, and can't find a copy of THPS3 on PS2. Definitely wouldn't mind playing that again (played it originally on the Gamecube.) I'm down for HD remakes of Canada and the Airport, but disappointed they chose LA over The Foundry and Tokyo.

And in testing out that Android app, AutoRap, I created this in the middle of my hunt for THPS3. :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
made some steam icons for the pc versions if you're interested
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
iB1CIaCBiCY0.png

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
i4v06olJDQTy6.png

bndadm

Hate to go on a tangent, but if this HD game has done anything it's been to rekindle my interest in the series again.

Just ordered 2x. Was wondering if anyone could tell me how well 3 and 4 and THUG 2 hold up on the 360 BC? Per the wiki 3 is okay at a certain resolution, but 4 has some glitches and THUG 2 will act up from time to time. Are they still really playable (bad phrasing I know)?

Should I still get the XBOX versions, or go for Gamecube (which per Jeff G. himself in the Gamestop days, the GC versions have frame rate issues)?

PC is not an option for me. Sorry. :(

Alchemy

Have to say, I was interested in this but the Steam sale murdered that. I have too many games to play now and plenty of time to wait to see more impressions.

Hate to go on a tangent, but if this HD game has done anything it's been to rekindle my interest in the series again.

Just ordered 2x. Was wondering if anyone could tell me how well 3 and 4 and THUG 2 hold up on the 360 BC? Per the wiki 3 is okay at a certain resolution, but 4 has some glitches and THUG 2 will act up from time to time. Are they still really playable (bad phrasing I know)?

Should I still get the XBOX versions, or go for Gamecube (which per Jeff G. himself in the Gamestop days, the GC versions have frame rate issues)?

I play 2x, 3, and both THUGs at 480p and they work perfectly fine BC.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

I wouldn't go with the GameCube version because of its tiny d-pad (unless you play with the analog stick).

Anth0ny

GC version of 3 does not have framerate issues, unless I missed something. I played through the entire game twice earlier this year.

bndadm

Thanks for the feedback on Gamecube and BC versions. I think I'll pull the triggers on the Xbox versions. Anxiety resolved!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Am I the only one that is wondering why the original 6 TH games were never released on Steam? C'mon Valve, release these suckers on Steam already! I have them on disc but, well, I do discs anymore :D

S1kkZ

Am I the only one that is wondering why the original 6 TH games were never released on Steam? C'mon Valve, release these suckers on Steam already! I have them on disc but, well, I do discs anymore :D

licensing issues (soundtracks, skaters...)

I just got ranked 49th on the Warehouse Worldwide Leaderboards. It was exhilarating. I think overall i still prefer the THPS3 mechanics and rule set. There was some pretty important advancements made with 3 that are noticeable absent when playing HD. I wonder how they adress this with the THPS3 DLC Pack. Also the game just feels rushed and half assed.

Things Robomodo should consider when making the THPS3 DLC.

• Big Drop. I hate that so much. It damn near ruins levels such as Down Hill Jam. Who thought that was a good idea?

• Make it so that we can assign Special Manuals to the Y/Grind button. The reason they allowed you to do that in THPS3 and beyond was so that you didn't accidentally do a trick before hitting the ground and crashing.

• Why does the manual meter mirror itself when i do manual to nose manual? Im not talking about the meter itself (Green to Red), but the bar that im balancing within it. If im doing a manual with the meter towards the top and then i jump into a nose manual, that meter is now towards the bottom. It throws me off so much. In THPS3 the green and red meter would flip, but the actual balance bar would stay where you left it.

• Allow the Special Meter to fill up as soon as your start comboing. In THPS3, you would be able to do Specials mid-combo because the meter had filled up by then. In HD you have to do a small trick/combo in order to utilize Specials in your next big combo.

• Allow the Special Meter to continue to fill up after using a Special mid combo. In HD, the Special Meter doesn't grow at all, but rather just slowly dwindles down. So really you only have about 15 sec to do them.

-GJ-

I can't figure out how to 'get out' of a halfpipe. I remember from the Underground games that it was RT + LT I think, but that doesn't work here. I always go straight up on the quarterpipe and there's no way to 'jump' out of it...

MMaRsu

I can't figure out how to 'get out' of a halfpipe. I remember from the Underground games that it was RT + LT I think, but that doesn't work here. I always go straight up on the quarterpipe and there's no way to 'jump' out of it...

Hold forward while jumping

Khal_B

Your better off with THPS3 or THPS4 I'd bet.

I like it, but there are some problems with the physics..

Won't lie, getting it mostly to relive some of the memories of the first two games (especially THPS2). As long as the gameplay is serviceable, I'll be contented.

Tenki

I think the game is far from being as good as the old ones, but now I want more Tony Hawk. I think the last game in the series I played was Tony Hawk's Proving Ground. Are the newer games good or I shouldn't bother playing them?

• Big Drop. I hate that so much. It damn near ruins levels such as Down Hill Jam. Who thought that was a good idea?
  • Allow the Special Meter to fill up as soon as your start comboing. In THPS3, you would be able to do Specials mid-combo because the meter had filled up by then. In HD you have to do a small trick/combo in order to utilize Specials in your next big combo.
  • Allow the Special Meter to continue to fill up after using a Special mid combo. In HD, the Special Meter doesn't grow at all, but rather just slowly dwindles down. So really you only have about 15 sec to do them.

I hate the Big Drop and I hate more the issues with the Special Meter. If you are making a long combo, forget about making Special Tricks after a few seconds, and that sucks.

Maybe I'll give the game another chance when the THPS3 DLC is up. I hope they fix a lot of things :(

beanman25

#1 on School 2 (not including people who have 100 million plus scores) (assuming they are hacking!)

Big secret for me, get your base score up to 40k+ then manual and keep jumping with a kickflip to get the multiplier up a ton. Mine was at x135

#1 on School 2 (not including people who have 100 million plus scores) (assuming they are hacking!)

Big secret for me, get your base score up to 40k+ then manual and keep jumping with a kickflip to get the multiplier up a ton. Mine was at x135

Congrats man. Ill keep that in mind when i play later tonight. Right now im running 3 special grinds, 1 manual and 1 air. Whats your setup?

That was the key to scoring in THPS1 & 2.

I learned so much from Dr. Zeus on planettonyhawk.com back in the day. The first time I got over a million points in a combo I never looked back.

beanman25

Congrats man. Ill keep that in mind when i play later tonight. Right now im running 3 special grinds, 1 manual and 1 air. Whats your setup?

I have the 900, Heelflip Underflip, and 3 grinds.

To start off, I flip around until I get a special, then 900 over the rails on the start, then manual/grind until my base is high. Then you just have to keep reflipping into a manual!

That was the key to scoring in THPS1 & 2.

I learned so much from Dr. Zeus on planettonyhawk.com back in the day. The first time I got over a million points in a combo I never looked back.

I've never heard of Dr. Zeus, but you've intrigued me!

Dang, heard this game could be delayed even till september. Wth Activision, the series started on Playstation and you treat us like this.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I come in to see how the game is but all I see are discussions on Tony Hawk 3 & 4 ....... I guess I have my answer haha!

I've never heard of Dr. Zeus, but you've intrigued me!

It was actually Dr Zaius (apparently I can't spell). I'm sure there were better players but he was the one who discovered so many lines on those early levels. Without him I never would have discovered Wallriding into a Christ Air followed by a ridiculous multitude of chained grinds and manuals.

Sorry if this have been answered before:

Does this game support custom soundtracks? I know the 360 does (by default), does the PS3 version support them?

Loudninja

• HD Upgrade: We polished and rebuilt the game using Neversoft’s original level models.
  • Classic levels: The style and feel of the seven best levels from THPS and THPS2 (Warehouse, School 2, Mall, Phoenix, Hangar, Marseilles and Downhill Jam) refreshed for today. Tony Hawk himself put a call out to his fans on Twitter during the summer of 2011 to decide the final levels. The levels are exactly the same specs as the originals – every gap, SKATE Letter, etc is exactly where you remember it — but it looks a hell of a lot better!
  • The Top Pros: Today’s biggest skate pros round out the cast including: Nyjah Huston, Chris Cole, Eric Koston, Andrew Reynolds, Rodney Mullen, Lyn-z Adams Hawkins Pastrana, Riley Hawk and, of course, Tony Hawk himself. Each has eight boards, three special moves, and an alternate outfit.
  • Refined controls: The skaters’ animations, tricks and combos reflect the evolution of the THPS games. Animations are improved, the tricks have been redone (and some new special tricks added), and we even added “skater celebrations” for big combos.
  • Manuals and Reverts: Read closely! You can do manuals as part of trick combos in THPS HD. Given the fact that this game combines the best gameplay from THPS1 and THPS2, Reverts will not work as part of trick combos in the initial launch of THPS HD, as that mechanic was not introduced until THPS3. However, reverts will work in the post-release DLC for the THPS3 levels, as those levels were originally designed to accommodate this.
  • Endlessly fun objectives: Players pursue the same global and level-specific goals as the original games, including S-K-A-T-E, Secret DVD (used to be VHS tape!), and many more.
  • Soundtrack: About half classic THPS tracks and half new ones. Includes classics like Goldfinger’s “Superman” and the Anthrax/PE collab “Bring the Noise”.
  • Online multiplayer: Four modes (Trick Attack, Graffiti, Big Head Elimination, Free Skate), plus online leaderboards. eight high score leaderboards (one per level plus one all levels combined). “Target Score” included as well, so you can see next highest score for you to beat to move up in the leaderboard in the HUD.
  • Downloadable content: Coming post-release, will be three levels from THPS3 (Airport, LA, and Canada) as well as new pros including Steve Caballero. The revert will work in these levels!
  • In Game Map View: Pause and see the location of objectives and gaps.
  • Over 15 Trophies
  • Quick Restart: Select button allows you to quickly restart a session. Perfect for the obsessive gamer who is looking to achieve the perfect combo.
  • Facebook Bragging Rights: Friends can see what level you have played and your score in
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/13/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-grinding-on-to-ps3-august-28th/

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is there a release date for the pc version?

SkylineRKR

PSN version here.

What a fucking piece of shit. I knew it wasn't good, yet I bought it because I really crave some classic TH lately. But I should've ordered the original 2 PSX games for nostalgia sake.

This game is even worse than I thought. The framerate is probably worse than the original TH PSX disc. The camera is very close by and I just can't see a damn thing in the warehouse level. There is also near-Capcom like tearing going on here.

Don't buy this shit.

PSN version here.

What a fucking piece of shit. I knew it wasn't good, yet I bought it because I really crave some classic TH lately. But I should've ordered the original 2 PSX games for nostalgia sake.

This game is even worse than I thought. The framerate is probably worse than the original TH PSX disc. The camera is very close by and I just can't see a damn thing in the warehouse level. There is also near-Capcom like tearing going on here.

Don't buy this shit.

Oh. That makes me think the PSN version is a lot rougher than the 360 version, because I didn't notice any tearing while playing it on the 360.

Top Bottom