• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

pn18

Banned
EviLore said:
Still waiting, Denis. The challenge:

If Too Human has above a 90% aggregate on Gamerankings two weeks after release, I lose. If it's below 90%, you lose. The loser gives $1000 to the winner's choice of 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

Confident enough to stand by your "I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made" comment?
Since Denis wanted this to be a challange between GAF and him, why don't you let all the naysayers raise the stake with their money?

Xabora

EviLore said:

If Too Human has above a 90% aggregate on Gamerankings two weeks after release, I lose. If it's below 90%, you lose. The loser gives $1000 to the winner's choice of 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

Confident enough to stand by your "I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made" comment?

This Thread just went Triple Platinum!
platinum_gundam.jpg
platinum_gundam.jpg
platinum_gundam.jpg

EDIT:

FOR
I wanna see the story and how it plays out, gameplay too. :D
PC Version would be awesome. Since your using the UE3.0 engine.

besiktas1

For I'm just excited about co-op, I've been looking for a game to play with my bro, guess this will be it.

Oh and The Evilore thing is genius 90+ for your post.

This plus the tagging thing would be awesome.

GarthVaderUK said:
A lot of people here will be owned if it even gets a solid 8.

I'd say anything with a 75+ is considered getting "favorable reviews", which is what the OP was about.

I think we will have to wait and see how the single analog combat pans out, if it works well then high scores are more likely, I think. The drop from 4 to 2 player co op will certainly hurt the game in several review outlets I would imagine.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, I have a lot of respect for Denis for making this thread.

I am in the for section, the art direction is horrid and the gimped co-op is really lame, but I could see the game being great. It all depends on how the game feels, I've heard people really love it, and others really hate it. I have every hope it'll be a great game, but there are causes for concern.

As for being their best game, I'd be surprised.

Good luck Denis, hope you and the team see sales that warrant the massive development time.

P.S. One console future, no, just no.

Alcander

ShockingAlberto said:
I stay out of the Jaffe sycophancy threads since the last time I bitched about how unprofessional he is and got leaped on.

Try again?
His point is that it really shouldn't matter with either. I think its absolutely brilliant when developers speak their minds. Whether Jaffe rants or Dyack hypes -- it adds a level of credibility to these games... it helps assure that these games are indeed being developed by gamers for god sakes! Would you really prefer hearing another marketing shill check off some talking points?

They are game developers, after all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Since when did Gamerankings become an accurate metric of quality?
Have we forgotten GTA4 already? Or is it still the best game ever?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
EviLore said:

[ig]http://mt12.quickshareit.com/share/2c0vlye1464.gif[/img][mg]http://mt12.quickshareit.com/share/2c0vlye1464.gif[/img][mg]http://mt12.quickshareit.com/share/2c0vlye1464.gif[/img]

I EDIT THE IMAGE TAGS OUT OF YOUR STUPID FUCKING SEIZURE GIF SPAM AND YOU EDIT THEM BACK IN? ~Admin

Nolan.

firehawk12 said:
Since when did Gamerankings become an accurate metric of quality?
Have we forgotten GTA4 already? Or is it still the best game ever?

Well to be fair the likes of gta, mario and FF will always have heavy brand power to elevate them. Even if the game is pretty crappy. So I guess Too Human will actually have to survive on it's own worth *shock/horror*.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If Too Human has above a 90% aggregate on Gamerankings two weeks after release, I lose. If it's below 90%, you lose.

isn't it somewhat ironic that we are using the score from a game that a load of GAFfers think is rubbish and didn't deserve the reviews it got as the benchmark for Too Human's success?

As this is SPECIFIC to GAF, why not do this :
For every gaffer that plays the game, they produce their gamertag and a simple 1-10 ranking.
If the game scores below a certain decided bench mark (let's give Eternal Darkness a score (7? 8?)) then Denis loses, scores above, Evil loses.

the 90% score for ED is way too high, i think we all know that, so i think that's a pretty safe bet and i think Evilore knows that too.

This resolution actually involves gaf's opinion, and not external reviewers - plus it actually makes things interesting as there is no way to tell which way it'll go. The Evilore bet is pretty much a sure win for Evil, which is boring! :D

Also, as part of the bet between Denis and Evil, there should be a ban bet part! ;)

Alcander said:
His point is that it really shouldn't matter with either. I think its absolutely brilliant when developers speak their minds. Whether Jaffe rants or Dyack hypes -- it adds a level of credibility to these games... it helps assure that these games are indeed being developed by gamers for god sakes! Would you really prefer hearing another marketing shill check off some talking points?

They are game developers, after all.

Hey all I see is a first post that has absolutely no reasons why his game is so damn good, and instead we have 'internetz serious bizness' level of dialogue.

Don't really see how this adds credibility. As another friend said to me, he would have been impressed if Dyack took the time to talk to us about the demo including details on what we should expect inside.

Your lack of a 4 player mode(the only thing that I was really interested in) has already decided my vote. Soul Calibur 4 comes out a week before Too Human, guess which one I'll be spending 60 bucks on.

ShockingAlberto said:
I stay out of the Jaffe sycophancy threads since the last time I bitched about how unprofessional he is and got leaped on.

Try again?

Good. At least you're consistent then. The question wasn't rhetorical.

How can anyone attack this man for talking directly to the gaming community? Regardless of things that have happened in the past, I think it is awesome that he is still willing to come to NeoGAF and be heard and hear things. I don't own a 360 so I can't play your game, but I thought Eternal Darkness was awesome, and I wish you the best of luck!

Nolan.

DCharlie said:
isn't it somewhat ironic that we are using the score from a game that a load of GAFfers think is rubbish and didn't deserve the reviews it got as the benchmark for Too Human's success?

For every gaffer that plays the game, they produce their gamertag and a simple 1-10 ranking.
If the game scores below a certain decided bench mark (let's give Eternal Darkness a score (7? 8?)) then Denis loses, scores above, Evil loses.

the 90% score for ED is way too high, i think we all know that, so i think that's a pretty safe bet and i think Evilore knows that too.

This resolution actually involves gaf's opinion, and not external reviewers - plus it actually makes things interesting as there is no way to tell which way it'll go. The Evilore bet is pretty much a sure win for Evil, which is boring! :D

Also, as part of the bet between Denis and Evil, there should be a ban bet part! ;)

So many people can easily low ball the game even if it's good though. Especially these ''people'' (that i'm yet to see) who will hate the game whatever the outcome. I think gamerankings is good enough especially for too human because it wil ascend easily if it's good. People love an against/ the odds/underdog tale.

Edit: Also i'd like to know if shenannigans should be included in the rule books. You know like sending nice gifts with helmets and special edition 360's...

besiktas1

DCharlie said:

This resolution actually involves gaf's opinion, and not external reviewers.

Makes sense (GAF challenged not external reviewers), but a simple way to this

1. Gather all the FORs then all the AGAINSTs
2. Randomly pick 10(or however many more after gaf decides) from each pile. (EDIT: Thay could even make a mini viral Compo: If it's k with Dyack he could give out games to these guys so even the Against people can play)
3. After 2 weeks the 20 people post there GTag (to show game is beaten in achievement)
4. They give it: Thumbs up or down
5. If 80% (or whatever percent gaf decides) say thumbs up.

Winner decided

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you're going to try to bring in numbers, why not use those Major Nelson Xbox Live activity reports.
If it's good, people will be playing it. If people are playing it, it will make the top 10.

besiktas1 said:
Makes sense (GAF challenged not external reviewers), but a simple way to this

1. Gather all the FORs then all the AGAINSTs
2. Randomly pick 10(or however many more after gaf decides) from each pile.
3. After 2 weeks the 20 people post there GTag (to show game is beaten in achievement)
4. They give it: Thumbs up or down
5. If 80% (or whatever percent gaf decides) say thumbs up.

Winner decided
Like that would ever work.

C4Lukins

Nolan. said:
So many people can easily low ball the game even if it's good though. Especially these ''people'' (that i'm yet to see) who will hate the game whatever the outcome. I think gamerankings is good enough especially for too human because it wil ascend easily if it's good. People love an against/ the odds/underdog tale.

One thing about gamerankings is that it changes from to day and the list continues to grow. I think if you just take 10 well respected sites/ publications then you can get a simple credible aggragate score.

IGN, 1up, Gametrailers, Gamespot, Game Informer, Edge, Eurogamer..... It will all even out with Silicon Knights ability to buy the Gamespot score and the harshness of Edge.

Sanjay

The best rpgs that have come out for the pc only in the last few years.

Gamerankings
The Witcher 81%
NwN 2: Mask of Betrayer 82%

so...if Too Human gets similar averages for the PC.. I will be FOR.

cicero

EviLore said:

Now THIS is a gaming website standard I can get behind!! Betting challenges between the operator of the website and the presidents/developers of game companies on the potential success of their titles! I can only hope that this whips up enough controversy to cause a big enough spike in advertising revenue so that you are covered either way!!!

This is going to be a new standard, isn't it?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
firehawk12 said:
If you're going to try to bring in numbers, why not use those Major Nelson Xbox Live activity reports.
If it's good, people will be playing it. If people are playing it, it will make the top 10.

Sanity? In my Too Human thread?

barnacles

Banned
Hey Denis! D'you supposed that endless, pointless ego-jousting on the net could be "the Ninth art"? Or is it more of a John Woo Movie title?

"The best rpgs that have come out for the pc only in the last few years.

Gamerankings
The Witcher 81%

so...if Too Human gets similar averages for the PC.. I will be FOR."

PC gaming sites are a bit less retarded with review scores than their console brethren. Probably because they don't have that whole console advocacy thing.

EviLore said:

I know some of the reviewers have been a little hot and heavy on the 10 button lately, but don't you think 90% AAA might be a little much? I think an 85% meta score would still be much higher then many of the doubters are predicting.

Why would you make the score so high for the bet? Unless you honestly feel like the game has a good chance to be a AA game. In which case I don't really understand the hate in the first place.

Quazar

Sanjay said:
The best rpgs that have come out for the pc only in the last few years.

Gamerankings
The Witcher 81%

so...if Too Human gets similar averages for the PC.. I will be FOR.

Different standards though.

Fenderputty said:
I know some of the reviewers have been a little hot and heavy on the 10 button lately, but don't you think 90% AAA might be a little much. I think an 85% meta score would still be much higher then many of the doubters are predicting.

Why would you make the score so high for the bet? Unless you honestly feel like the game has a good chance to be a AA game. In which case I don't really understand the hate in the first place.

Exactly, well said Junior.

I find some of the suggestions for the metacritic/gameranking scores humorous. 75% is favorable? Really? Only bargain bin Cabela's Big Game Hunter type shit gets scored below 70%. Dyack made a thread calling out several posters and definitely *sounds* quite confident in his game. The terms of the bet should reflect that confidence. A 75% average is NOT confidence.

Teriyaki

EviLore said:

Just make it contingent to reflect margin of error:

- If it's over 90%, EvilLore pays all 1K.
- If it's below 80%, Denis pays 1k.
- Anything in between and you both pay 500.

Teknopathetic said:
I find some of the suggestions for the metacritic/gameranking scores humorous. 75% is favorable? Really? Only bargain bin Cabela's Big Game Hunter type shit gets scored below 70%. Dyack made a thread calling out several posters and definitely *sounds* quite confident in his game. The terms of the bet should reflect that confidence. A 75% average is NOT confidence.

What % would you say is favourable?

Teriyaki said:
Just make it contingent to reflect margin of error:

- If it's over 90%, EvilLore pays all 1K.
- If it's below 80%, Denis pays 1k.
- Anything in between and you both pay 500.

That's a great suggestion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yeah, the bet is way too safe on Evilores side to be of any interest.

There is no way it's going to score that and we all know that Gamesrankings and reviews aren't that reliable.

Hell, look at Uncharted. If you took a "Uncharted to beat Eternal Darkness" bet, you'd have lost.

As i said, this is conveniently ignoring the general _GAF OPINION_ that Eternal Darkness wasn't very good, so yeah - this bet is pointless and completely throws out the GAF'ness of it all.

The flip side of course is the against crowd seems pretty convinced this is going to be horrid, so quite why a 90% average (i.e. triple AAA system selling territory) rating is the bar for "success" is baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom