• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I love tons of armor and weapons in a game, i love multiple paths and i certainly like skill trees. Been following this game since its PSX days and SK has yet to disapoint me, Blood omen, eternal darkness and MGS TTS, while this forum loved to hate these last 2, i had a blast playing them.

for

Slamo

Are the people who are currently for it, plan to remain entirely for this game regardless of the final game's quality or the general consensus among reviewers?

Will you judge the game based on the final product or will you judge the game based on your feelings for Denis Dyack?

does it work this way too?

Nolan. said:
And some people are so sure it's really, really, really briliant without playing it.

Who the fuck said that? People are expecting a decent game, definitely not the bullshit Haze/Lair level crap that butthurt fanboys are spouting.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
This is a bad idea.

What's really sad is that the shear amount of vitreol directed towards this game has caused the game's creator to feel insulted and hurt over something he and countless others have dedicated so much of their life to craft.

Quazar

Slamo said:
Are the people who are currently for it, plan to remain entirely for this game regardless of the final game's quality or the general consensus among reviewers?

Will you judge the game based on the final product or will you judge the game based on your feelings for Denis Dyack?

I would guess not, but there was fans of Shadowrun for 360. So who knows.

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
Who the fuck said that? People are expecting a decent game, definitely not the bullshit Haze/Lair level crap that butthurt fanboys are spouting.
Really? Too Human was getting crazy amounts of praise before the E3 showing. The only difference between Too human and Lair/Haze in terms of hype is that Too human has already hit backlash.

I don't see much of a difference between the game's in terms of endearment.

Quazar said:
I win in the end because I've found ME just as enjoyable/fulfilled as BG2/Tob.(Well not quite....just in different ways) Money well spent.

I think a lot of people-including you, obviously!-who played BG2 will think that Mass Effect is a great game that stands right beside that game and KOTOR as being some of Bioware's best. Mostly I think those kind of people play Bioware games for the story and characters.

There is a dissenting opinion on this though-for gamers like myself and EviLore, a huge part of the draw of BG2 was the large degree of character and party customization you could do (tons of stats, items, skills, class permutations, etc.) and the huge game world with a large amount of very intelligent side quests, all wrapped up in a deep, pausable real time combat system with a flexible and powerful ruleset that could be mercilessly exploited by both the monsters and your party.

It's in those areas where Mass Effect is absolute garbage compared to BG2. Almost insultingly so. So when you hear a CRPG enthusiasts deride Mass Effect, those are likely some of the reasons why.

Slamo said:

Very good question.

If the game doesn't end up being good, I wont pretend otherwise. If I'm dealing with a game that isn't of very high quality then I will make that known by being as honest as I can be about the game I'm playing.

If Too Human doesn't live up to my expectations, there is no question I will be disappointed. That doesn't mean I'll go ahead and say all the bad things that people were saying were justified nor will I join in the bashing, but what I will say is that the game ended up disappointing me. In my situation, I hope that isn't the case, but you can expect the honest to god truth of what I really think about the game once I'm able to play it for myself.

I'll say what I like, what I dislike and how I feel it could've been much better. Based on some things I've already seen, I already have a few things to complain about, but I think it's unfair for me to do so until I get my hands on a final product and judge it based on that and only that.

The biggest way for this game to disappoint me is if the story doesn't end up being what I expected of it. It can also disappoint me if the Production Values aren't what I've been expecting of this game. I still remember word for word all of Denis' early statements about what people could look forward to in this game and it was exactly that which originally got me excited for the game. I won't pretend as if I expect every last one of the most amazing things that Denis has said about the game to end up being true in the final release, but I at least want to see an effort put in where when all is said and done, I can confidently say these guys gave it their all and really tried to deliver on what they were promising.

We're all gamers. We've seen games where it looks like the developers didn't put very much effort into it at all. Whether that was intentional or not is beside the point. We just know how awful it looked. I'm not at all expecting that I will have to say such things about Too Human, but say them I will if I end up with a game purchase I can't feel good about.

Fragamemnon said:
I think a lot of people-including you, obviously!-who played BG2 will think that Mass Effect is a great game that stands right beside that game and KOTOR as being some of Bioware's best. Mostly I think those kind of people play Bioware games for the story and characters.

There is a dissenting opinion on this though-for gamers like myself and EviLore, a huge part of the draw of BG2 was the large degree of character and party customization you could do (tons of stats, items, skills, class permutations, etc.) and the huge game world with a large amount of very intelligent side quests, all wrapped up in a deep, pausable real time combat system with a flexible and powerful ruleset that could be mercilessly exploited by both the monsters and your party.

It's in those areas where Mass Effect is absolute garbage compared to BG2. Almost insultingly so. So when you hear a CRPG enthusiasts deride Mass Effect, those are likely some of the reasons why.

I'm 100% behind this post, but truthfully after Jade Empire I pretty much gave up and learned to accept it. On those terms Mass Effect is a really fun game, lol.

Really? Too Human was getting crazy amounts of praise before the E3 showing. The only difference between Too human and Lair/Haze in terms of hype is that Too human has already hit backlash.

I don't see much of a difference between the game's in terms of endearment.

Too Human has been getting praise more recently as well, the only backlash is on internet forums.

The Haze/Lair comparisons are borne from a pathetic sense of "revenge" because those games had been hyped (but also previewed badly nearer the review) and delivered very poorly and were subsequently mocked.

_dd_

the disgruntled gamer said:
You forgot the people who are taking this waaaaay too seriously.

Haha, no shit :lol

Reznor said:
Toggle cutscenes on/off as an option in co-op and I'd be a lot more "for" it than I am right now.

This.

JasoNsider said:
I'm glad you've come in to GAF to play their game.

I look forward to hearing more about your views on pushing the medium ahead. Please keep writing!

This.

Mr Vociferous said:
I'm really looking forward to the game, as I have since the beginning. Hopefully it's as good as most of us want it to be.

Dyack, you take a lot of shit on this forum, but I'm sure that you're well aware that the infantile trolling on this forum - as big as it might seem - ultimately represents a small fraction of the gaming community.

This.

TONX said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xqLaj0tvM&feature=related

Replace 'Movies' with Videogames, 'Poop Shoot' With NeoGAF, and 'Jay' with Dennis Dyack.

THIS. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I so wish that we had four player co-op though. I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if we were promised 2p co-op throughout the development but for awhile you had confirmed 4 player co-op and then stole Two Humans away from us.
Ah, but to end all this. I am 100%

FOR

=====Edit=====

DCharlie said:
I personally don't trust other gamers opinions (or very few) and i don't believe much i read in the games playing press either. I've found a lot of gams considered great games on gaf to be turgid, i've found a lot of games that are apparently rubbish and unplayable to be great... or at least not as bad as people would have you believe.

Everyones a critic and lets face it : even if TH turns out to be a fantastic game, it's doomed by platform for a whole raft of people . By the same token, the flip side set will rally and defend if the game isn't what people expect. The other guarantee is that any sane voices will be crushed under foot in the stupidity stampede.

All i can say is i'm buying the game and, as with every game i pick up, i'm hoping it'll be entertaining. So i guess essentially, as with every game i buy, i'm for it and i'll decide what i think of the game after a decent play through.

but Denis, just do what you do and keep on trucking. The sooner you stop caring about what GAF thinks, the better. I realised a long time ago that there's certainly battles that can't be won. This is one of them.

Good luck with the game!

This.

Twig

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Having never played BG2 (I really want to, goddamnit!), I agree with what I think you're saying.

There is still good gameplay in Mass Effect, though! It's just... different from [everything I've heard about] BG2, etc.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I also believe the press and gamers alike will believe this. This puts me in the “For” camp.

I know there are many who feel strongly in opposite camp. I also would ask you to stand up and say “Against”.

When the game is released and everyone plays game all the speculation will be over. If I am wrong and gamers in general think the game is “crap” then I am comfortable with getting tagged “Owned by the GAF”

I personally don't trust other gamers opinions (or very few) and i don't believe much i read in the games playing press either. I've found a lot of gams considered great games on gaf to be turgid, i've found a lot of games that are apparently rubbish and unplayable to be great... or at least not as bad as people would have you believe.

Everyones a critic and lets face it : even if TH turns out to be a fantastic game, it's doomed by platform for a whole raft of people . By the same token, the flip side set will rally and defend if the game isn't what people expect. The other guarantee is that any sane voices will be crushed under foot in the stupidity stampede.

All i can say is i'm buying the game and, as with every game i pick up, i'm hoping it'll be entertaining. So i guess essentially, as with every game i buy, i'm for it and i'll decide what i think of the game after a decent play through.

but Denis, just do what you do and keep on trucking. The sooner you stop caring about what GAF thinks, the better. I realised a long time ago that there's certainly battles that can't be won. This is one of them.

Good luck with the game!

TDG

Banned
I think it's funny to see al the people in this thread posting things like, "why would you bet on something as lame as a tag," considering it seems like half the users here would cut their testicles off if it would get them a tag.

I think the story will be cool.

Well, that cinematic released on GT where it shows Baldur and Thor going into a temple had atrocious voice-acting, and their dialog was pretty bad.

But...

...er, forgot my point.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Denis Dyack said:
I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made.
This is an extremely bold statement. Yessir.
And you can put me right in the "Sorry, people still give a fuck about this game?" camp.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I'm completely indifferent to the game, but as one of the few AAA independent Ontario-based developers, I feel almost obligated to buy a copy.
After BioWare was bought out, I don't think there are any other large indie Canadian companies left now.

As completely insane as this thread is, I suppose I have to be "For", but for completely different reasons.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm 100% behind this post, but truthfully after Jade Empire I pretty much gave up and learned to accept it. On those terms Mass Effect is a really fun game, lol.

Go grab Mask of the Betrayer, it'll restore your faith in the genre. I actually do have some high hopes for Dragon Age-freed from the hobbling interface constraits and lowest common denominator userbase, they (hopefully) should be able to resurrect some of the delicious munchkin gameplay that made me fall in love with the company in the first place.

zoku88

Well, this thread will bring the lols for me.

I don't really have a position since I don't really know what Too Human is (dont have a 360...)

the disgruntled gamer said:
I think it's funny to see al the people in this thread posting things like, "why would you bet on something as lame as a tag," considering it seems like half the users here would cut their testicles off if it would get them a tag.

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful.

This is the second most sought after tag on this forum and I have it :p

m0dus

Banned
For.

And for the record. I would like to offer my services in creating a 'owned by gaf' and 'owned by too human' avatar to along with said tags :0)

LakeEarth

Really man, just release the game and let us judge when its time to judge. Recent buzz has been good, and I'm going to give it a shot.

Sorry Dennis, I can't say for OR against. I WANT this game to be good, but I can't remember the last game that took 10 years to finally release that was really all that good.

Not to mention, you've been hampered by your Epic/Unreal Engine dramas. And the pics that have been released have been less than flattering.

Let's not forget the fact that you chose to start this thread as opposed to releasing a demo which would have done a shitload more to either promote or destroy the game more than this thread has.

But as I mentioned in another TH thread, even if the game IS awesome, it's gonna get ripped to pieces simply for being a delayed 360 game. Then, will be loved and praised in the future with many members wondering how the game was ever panned so badly.

Not to mention the real problem...regardless of GAF opinion, the game just won't sell much.

Quazar

Fragamemnon said:

Not to under mind what you wrote, but I know every side of the coin. I can go into a game with an open mind these days. P&P still crushes everything about these games, doesn't mean I care to hold everything to that standard. That's where it all started for me anyways.

Let me just get this out of the way.

I am "for" and i do hope "Too Human" turns out to be an amazing game. Its just sad too see that you bought into the hate. Let the game speak for it self since that will be a louder message than anything you say because if people want to hate the game they will find a way and nothing anyone says could change their minds.

Quazar said:
Not to under mind what you wrote, but I know every side of the coin. I can go into a game with an open mind these days. P&P still crushes everything about these games, doesn't mean I care to hold everything to that standard. That's where it all started for me anyways.

Well PnP requires much more effort by participants for it too be any good..

Oh and by the way Denis. Pleeeease tell me you guys got a really nice Launch trailer coming up?

You've given us gameplay substance and that substance was especially important for people that had no idea what the game would play like, but it's time we also got some drama.

Well, I suppose we've had more than enough drama since the E3 that shall not be named, but not that kind of drama :lol

We want an amazing launch trailer that doesn't just tease with gameplay, but teases with some of the cooler scenes from the game and some of the stronger story-related narrative.

I want the equivalent of a Too Human Movie Theatrical Trailer.

Make it happen! :D

Denis Dyack said:
I think it is time to draw the digital line. Too Human will be out in August and I think there is going to be a lot of trolls crying here. Either way when the game comes out this forum will likely be on fire. So in order to try to put it out some gasoline on this fire I will ask those interested to stand up and be counted.

I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year. I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made. I also believe the press and gamers alike will believe this. This puts me in the “For” camp.

I know there are many who feel strongly in opposite camp. I also would ask you to stand up and say “Against”.

When the game is released and everyone plays game all the speculation will be over. If I am wrong and gamers in general think the game is “crap” then I am comfortable with getting tagged “Owned by the GAF”.

However, if I am right and it is received well, I would like to see those “Against” to be tagged with “Owned by Too Human”.

I would like to make a honorary invitation to EvilLore and Duckroll who help fuel the fire on a regular basis – assuming you both would be “Against”. In the end though, it is your decision and I want to remind everyone that I have an advantage of actually playing the game.

I invite anyone who seeing someone trolling Too Human in other threads to point them here. :D

So it’s time to be stand and be counted:

Denis Dyack - “For”

Dear Denis,
this is Marco Accordi Rickards, editor of the Italian edition of Edge. I just wanted to cry out loud that I've been waiting for Too Human for more than 10 years and that I'm positive it's going to be an awesome masterpiece.
You are one of the best game developers ever, worldwide, and you should be proud of your work.

Ciao, Denis. Good luck!
Metalmark

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Not to mention, you've been hampered by your Epic/Unreal Engine dramas. And the pics that have been released have been less than flattering.
You can tell that the game itself has been hampered? How exactly?
Metal Messiah said:
Dear Denis,
this is Marco Accordi Rickards, editor of the Italian edition of Edge. I just wanted to cry out loud that I've been waiting for Too Human for more than 10 years and that I'm positive it's going to be an awesome masterpiece.
You are one of the best game developers ever, worldwide, and you should be proud of your work.

Ciao, Denis. Good luck!
Metalmark
Edge 10: confirmed.

Awinagainov

Neo Member
FOR, very FOR.

but if i buy the game, and my l00tz are lacking in phatness, i will be sorely disappointed

this is my most anticipated game of the year/generation

I liked Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes quite a bit. If I ever get a 360, I'll give it a shot.

For.

Edit: I would kill for the ED engine to be dusted off for a sequel on the Wii. Hopefully with the same or better depth than the original.

Regardless of how good or bad the game is, acting like a fucking unprofessional baby for some sort of internet toughguy comeuppance has caused me to lose any respect I might have had for Dyack.

He's that asshole in the office that demands high-fives for doing his job and holds grudges when you won't engage him in his primordial victory flesh slaps. He cares more about what people think about him and how badass he can be perceived than he does maintaining any sort of professional aura about himself.

What a goddamn child.

Quazar

Lostconfused said:
Well PnP requires much more effort by participants for it too be any good..

My point is, comparisons just don't make sense in my mind. I can't even put ME in the same genre as BG2. It's like comparing FFT to FF12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom