• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

SPEA said:
Except Space Seige doesn't have loot. And I don't that it even has classes or the ability of them to level up. I believe you just get 2 skill trees to f around with.

But if your talking in terms of just the 'man vs machine' stuff, then yeah it is a little coincidental.

Well if you want to bicker about such fine details lets see. There is no loot but characters and weapons have stats that are almost identical. The trees are supposed to represent to different classes and two different play styles while the trees in too human are more like refinements of the same play style. Yes there is no loot because instead of heaving weapon x and weapon y which is exactly the same just does 1 more point of damage space siege lets you upgrade the weapon as you play the game, probably done because it cuts down on the time to to make/recolor/rename all the excess items.

I was talking in terms of game being an green apple and the other a red one. Slightly different flavors of exactly the same thing.

M4lcoM

Hi guys, and hi Denis, this is my very first time through GAF, so, I would previously sorry for my incorrect english.

Ok, let's talk about the game.From the beginning, since the first trailers were released, I have been so amused by the plot, the setting, the sci-fi mix with celtic mythology, the main character, and the deep customization.

To be honest, after the release of the demo, I first feel a bit confused about the gameplay; ok, Too Human is not an action game in the deepest meaning of the term, but I would have been pleased to find a richer approach to the genre.Denis, this is not a critic; it's just a personal feeling of mine, nothing else.

However, I must admit I've been enjoying the demo so far.I love the customization and the general feeling, and I think the whole game would be great.Can't wait till the release.

GaryD

Day 1 for me also. I have been looking forward to this for almost a year I guess.

What happened to the final installment of the Goblin Man of Norway video?

You can go ahead and add my gamertag aswell : ) Its "KafkaRock" I wish i could think of a good question to ask denis, but im just appreciative we are getting any answers at all. Ill see you guys online!

Costanza

Banned
Danthrax said:
Hey, nice find, thanks. It's now in the OP under "Other Cool Stuff."

BTW, I think I've put everyone's Gamertag into the OP who mentioned it in this thread. If I've missed anyone, let me know and I'll fix it ASAP. =)
gt: costanza x

Will be getting it from Gamefly.

Picking it up day 1 (hopefully Tuesday because Wednesday is fucking school). My GT is Whaley X so add to OP please. And "Hi" double-d :lol

Lykathea

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers for the story to first of all, turn out well, and second of all, be just slightly more linear and explicit in how it unravels itself in comparison to Eternal Darkness (I appreciated how the story was done with its "gleaming information" dynamic, but I found it hard to follow the story in that game with having to memorize so many other things about it, if you know what I mean. I still wouldn't mind at all if they more or less took that approach for Too Human. Unconventional narrative design fascinates me).

I am the opposite. I would like SK to continue storytelling in a more implicit, cerebral fashion as opposed to bashing you in the head with the story's primary metaphors (a la MGS4--great game though) and going on needless tangents to explain everything. Leave it open-ended and slightly ambiguous, as I generally expect SK games to cater to my intellectual sweet tooth.

Releases on the 19th? I'll probably pick it up sometime on Thursday or Friday then. I've been following this since the EGM article two years ago, so I might as well see how it ends up.

ravien56

so have you guys figured out how were all doing the co-op? the GT list is posted on the first page, should there be any organization for this? or should I just add everybody and play with whoever?

JoeLang

Quick question for you Denis...

In past interviews, you have mentioned that Too Human's story is multi-tiered. On one hand, the story exists as a normal script, with characters and dialogue that can appeal to even the most simplistic gamers. On the other hand, the story also simultaneously fuses together that "simple" script with elements from Norse mythology. What I want to know, how integrated is the so-called third layer of Too Human's story in the entire trilogy's arc? This third layer I refer to is the supposedly underlying theme in Too Human, what does it mean to be human?

For instance, going off of Chris Kohler's "preview," (which might not be the best of sources, considering you have seemed to disagree with some aspects of that "preview"), the choice between cybernetic and human remains mostly a cosmetic decision, altering the gameplay ONLY. Without giving too much away, will our choice, as human or cybernetic, affect the story in later games?

Brannon

19th!? Damn, I kept thinking 27th for some reason. Now it's not too impossibly far away.

So now that the game is absolutely done, no way to go back but still not released, like finishing that really critical thesis or science project and walking to school with it in hand, what is the general feeling in the office and among the staff? A loaded question I'm sure, but it's always interesting to hear what people have to say right before a big project's reveal.

Also gamertag = DJ Brannon

Also the 2nd, as a backseat developer I consider it a good idea to play as Freya in the second game. Since the second game's theme is revenge and women are pretty good at revenge and stuff. But don't comment on this since the answer could be very spoilerific. It'll just have to be forever unanswered...

"so have you guys figured out how were all doing the co-op? the GT list is posted on the first page, should there be any organization for this? or should I just add everybody and play with whoever?"

I think someone should make a silver account labeled NEOGAF TH or something and add everyones tag to it so you can look at the friends of the NEOGAF TH account and see who from gaf is on Too Human.

JoeLang said:
Quick question for you Denis...

In past interviews, you have mentioned that Too Human's story is multi-tiered. On one hand, the story exists as a normal script, with characters and dialogue that can appeal to even the most simplistic gamers. On the other hand, the story also simultaneously fuses together that "simple" script with elements from Norse mythology. What I want to know, how integrated is the so-called third layer of Too Human's story in the entire trilogy's arc? This third layer I refer to is the supposedly underlying theme in Too Human, what does it mean to be human?

For instance, going off of Chris Kohler's "preview," (which might not be the best of sources, considering you have seemed to disagree with some aspects of that "preview"), the choice between cybernetic and human remains mostly a cosmetic decision, altering the gameplay ONLY. Without giving too much away, will our choice, as human or cybernetic, affect the story in later games?

The 3rd layer is implemented and focused across the entire trilogy. The game play is altered significantly by your choices in this regard. You would have play the game several times to understand the gameplay difference in it's totality. :)

Hope that helps.
Denis

Philthy

Still looking forward to playing this. Played the demo the other night to see if I still thought it was fun as it was a few weeks back, and it was.

I'm all ready to get my loot on.

Raide

I would love a Screenshot button so we can show off out latest loot. :D

I know some people have been hoping that Too Human would fill in the PSO shaped holes in their lives and I was just thinking of something Too Human could have done to help with that...well, apart from 4 player co-op that is. :lol

Most people know that the main area is the Halls of the Aesir (Please correct me if wrong Denis) it would be cool if Too Human players could meet in the Halls of the Aesir and wander around and see what loot people have, before paring up and playing the game. They should venerate some of the better players by having an area within the Halls with statues of great players. :D

Similar to the was the ship hubs work in PSO and you have the idea I am thinking about. It would help with the social side of Too Human, as well as being able to chat to like minded fans about this Elite Troll that just pillaged you.

border

I just put in my order to Gamestop.com, for In-Store Pickup. I'll let you all know if they send me the armor code through e-mail.....already got an order confirmation e-mail.

border

Just out of curiousity, is there going to be any kind of TV advertising campaign for Too Human? I don't watch TV much, so there already might be one going for all I know. :)

MrDaravon

Raide said:
I would love a Screenshot button so we can show off out latest loot. :D

I know some people have been hoping that Too Human would fill in the PSO shaped holes in their lives and I was just thinking of something Too Human could have done to help with that...well, apart from 4 player co-op that is. :lol

Most people know that the main area is the Halls of the Aesir (Please correct me if wrong Denis) it would be cool if Too Human players could meet in the Halls of the Aesir and wander around and see what loot people have, before paring up and playing the game. They should venerate some of the better players by having an area within the Halls with statues of great players. :D

Similar to the was the ship hubs work in PSO and you have the idea I am thinking about. It would help with the social side of Too Human, as well as being able to chat to like minded fans about this Elite Troll that just pillaged you.

This would be amazing.

Also I just got home with a copy of the overpriced Prima guide, excellent.

I haven't bothered to read this entire thread, but I'm sure this question has been asked more than once. I'm just wondering if that god-awful "squeak" sound in the menus is going to be pulled? It's unbearable (to me) and makes me not want to play the game.

MrDaravon

Dammit, looking through the epic item list in the back of the guide, I didn't realize there was one-handed and dual-wielded staves; I assumed they were all two-handed, and had tentatively planned what I was going to do as such with my skill trees (thinking about going Bio-Engineer).

border

This looks like one of those few games where you'd really from reading a strategy guide, just because there's so much to know about everything, but it seems like a lot of it isn't told to you in the game or in the instruction manual.

I was thinking about buying the eGuide from PrimaGames' website -- is it just a PDF, or is it a proprietary format loaded down with a bunch of DRM?

SailorDaravon said:
Dammit, looking through the epic item list in the back of the guide, I didn't realize there was one-handed and dual-wielded staves; I assumed they were all two-handed, and had tentatively planned what I was going to do as such with my skill trees (thinking about going Bio-Engineer).

Where'd you pick the guide today? My GS and BB both said the 20th release.

MrDaravon

Saren is Bad said:
Where'd you pick the guide today? My GS and BB both said the 20th release.

Gamestop. For some reason gamestop.com and every other retailer lists it as being available to ship on the 19th, but for some reason some Gamestops (and apparently online) have gotten them earlier. I had to call, I've got two Gamestops right next to each other, one said next week, the other got them yesterday.

Lykathea

Banned
border said:
Just out of curiousity, is there going to be any kind of TV advertising campaign for Too Human? I don't watch TV much, so there already might be one going for all I know. :)

I'd actually like to know about this too. MS has a good online campaign going but I have yet to see anything on television.

1.) How powerful is the preorder armor?

2.) Does the epic gear actually look epic? i.e. glowing, pulsating, rippling, translucent, etc.?

Xenon

So I recorded myself playing through the game as a commando trying to avoid using the melee weapons. Not my best effort but I was able to get through the game hardly touched. After trying to use some shit pack in video software to edit out all the non-action oriented parts. I found out that I could not get the sound over from original movie file. I gave up and decided to use music instead. =P Oh and there was also a problem with my ffdshow and I could only make new mpgs. So I am just posting the first part. Sorry for the horrible editing.

switch to hi quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G119j9tqubA

I hope they hurry up with the next dev diary and '10 things' vid.

Anyway, I've pre-ordered but I'm also Australian so no TH for me until the 28th. :/

Gamertag: JordoftheDead

SPEA

Witchfinder General said:
Anyone going to start Too Human-ing their avatars?

I was thinking perhaps adding Baldur's glowing blue scars as the constant theme.
Haha. Go for it. I may give my alien dude from Men In Black a makeover when I get the time. He could use a few cybernetic upgrades.

Philthy

Xenon said:
So I recorded myself playing through the game as a commando trying to avoid using the melee weapons. Not my best effort but I was able to get through the game hardly touched.

I tried the same, but got my ass handed to me by the level 15 elite in the first of three chambers later on in the demo. When I fought him with the Zerker he died pretty quick, though.

Gowans

Has details been revealed about any of these:

Pre Order Armour - What's the equivalent in the game (How balanced are they, when will you want to discard them)

Co-op with different levels - If your a low level co-oping with a High level guy how will the game balance?

MaddenNFL64

Not sure what lvl the preorder sets are, but i've heard that all enemies scale to the highest lvled person. So if one is lvl 20 & you're lvl 1, you may be only useful as a distraction.

Philthy

If its anything like other preorder armors, they usually have a unique skill or effect, or a special color. I've never seen any that people keep for more than a day, simply because with loot centric games half the fun is finding and replacing armor every other play through.

FoeHammer

Philthy said:
If its anything like other preorder armors, they usually have a unique skill or effect, or a special color. I've never seen any that people keep for more than a day, simply because with loot centric games half the fun is finding and replacing armor every other play through.

That's my guess as well, but it would be nice if it started you with a good defensive boost.

Hannar

Philthy said:
I tried the same, but got my ass handed to me by the level 15 elite in the first of three chambers later on in the demo. When I fought him with the Zerker he died pretty quick, though.

Best strategy with him using a Commando is to juggle him into the air, then ballistic juggle him for a few seconds, then jump up and hit him with a finisher. Doing that two or three times should finish him off easily.

Top Bottom