• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Diseased Yak said:
Absolutely loving this game. I don't have as much time to play as some of you, I'm only about 8 hours in, up to the World Serpent closing in on the end of it. Level 22 Berserker. I have a question:

Does it "gimp" a Berserker to use anything other than dual swords/staves?

The best dual swords I've found so far do like 259 dmg, but I have a two-hander sword that does 450+, which is what I'm using. I realize that Berserker's get bonus stuff for dual-wield, but is there any other reason not to just use whatever is the most powerful weapon at your disposal?

I might be wrong but I think in the time you can get one hit with a one handed weapon, you can get two with a two handed one, so you can kind double your damage.

I THINK.

(Not sure. Someone confirm.)

ringlord

Diseased Yak said:
Absolutely loving this game. I don't have as much time to play as some of you, I'm only about 8 hours in, up to the World Serpent closing in on the end of it. Level 22 Berserker. I have a question:

The best dual swords I've found so far do like 259 dmg, but I have a two-hander sword that does 450+, which is what I'm using. I realize that Berserker's get bonus stuff for dual-wield, but is there any other reason not to just use whatever is the most powerful weapon at your disposal?

If you have dual-wield bonuses, then they should show up in the +xx% next to your dual sword damage and be included right there in the 259 number. The one area that is 'hidden' (sorta) is your base melee damage. Beserker's do get bonuses to that (or else to total damage), but I think it applies to all weapons.

The sure fire way to see which has higher damage output overall: equip each in turn and go to the 'stats' page from the menu. Switch to the 'sword' tab and you'll see your base, weapon, and total damage with your current equipment. Whichever load out has a higher number for 'total' is the winner.

My guess is that it'll be your 450+ two-hander.

Edit: urg. benjamin makes a good point. If dual-weapon damage is truly doubled, it might not should up under the stats screen, which would be bogus, imo.

I'd say IGN's rating at 7.8 is just about right, for me. If all the improvements above are made for the sequel, I could see it scoring 9+ easily.

I had to double check the color of the horizon and make sure my water faucet didn't pour blood.

It's a cold fucking day in hell when I agree with an IGN review, and they're largely spot on with this one.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
ringlord said:
If you have dual-wield bonuses, then they should show up in the +xx% next to your dual sword damage and be included right there in the 259 number. The one area that is 'hidden' (sorta) is your base melee damage. Beserker's do get bonuses to that (or else to total damage), but I think it applies to all weapons.

The sure fire way to see which has higher damage output overall: equip each in turn and go to the 'stats' page from the menu. Switch to the 'sword' tab and you'll see your base, weapon, and total damage with your current equipment. Whichever load out has a higher number for 'total' is the winner.

My guess is that it'll be your 450+ two-hander.

Edit: urg. benjamin makes a good point. If dual-weapon damage is truly doubled, it might not should up under the stats screen, which would be bogus, imo.

This is exactly what I did, and the two-hander was quite a bit more powerful in overall damage on the stats page than the lesser dual wielders.

However, if dual-wielding does indeed get doubled (over what it shows on the stats page), then obviously that would be the way to go. It would be odd, though, if "blue" double swords was that much more powerful than a "purple" two-hander that was many levels above it.

It did seem I was killing things faster with my two-hander, and the damage meter was showing some big hits.

TheGrue

I would think you could get your combo meter up quicker with dual swords, though. So yeah, the damage might not be as much,but you could get off your battle cry or bear thing more frequently.

fin

Silicon Knights really need to add a screenshot mode and sharing system. Adding a room in the Aesir lobby would be great. Just walk in get your screen shot taken, and allow you to sent it to friends.

I got this Epic Hammer last night that takes over 200k to build. It looks so badass but I'm not sure if I wanna spend so much on it.

kyle (in stereo) said:
I had to double check the color of the horizon and make sure my water faucet didn't pour blood.

It's a cold fucking day in hell when I agree with an IGN review, and they're largely spot on with this one.

Concured

This is pretty much where I put Too Human as well. I'll give a more thorough review when I'm done

to me the biggest knock is the cinematics, how they largly dropped the ball on deliverying the story coherently, and still overall roughness of the final product

I'm still lovin' the fuck outta the game though!!! :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kyle (in stereo) said:

Yup.

fin said:
Silicon Knights really need to add a screenshot mode and sharing system. Adding a room in the Aesir lobby would be great. Just walk in get your screen shot taken, and allow you to sent it to friends.

I got this Epic Hammer last night that takes over 200k to build. It looks so badass but I'm not sure if I wanna spend so much on it.

I think a photo mode is a must for the next game, maybe just a small buffer that you can rewind through so you can grab the perfect pose. Optional depth of field, motion blur and lens size for increased awesomeness. :D

mm04

Photomode would be nice, but I'm with the idea of making a special room in Aesir which not only would take a screenshot of your character, but would upload your stats and gear onto the official Too Human website. It would be pretty nice to give a friend a link to your character to check out your gear, stats and build. This is a MUST for part 2. Make it so, SK!

Raide

I would trade all of that in just for 4 player co-op...seriously. :D

If you need any tips or ideas SK, just give me a shout. :lol

Union Carbine said:
Some sort of arena or onslaught mode of endless waves of bad guys would have been awesome too - like an entire mode of ramped up challenge rooms.
That'd be great. Sounds like the 'horde' mode on GoW2.

Ok so after putting 20 hours in I think I just now realized something. So the exp % that rises up, that goes up after fighting? But it also goes down when you use a ruiner and starts over completely when you die? Is that right? So in order to get your exp % high up you have to not use the runiners or die? Am I following this right?:lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok so after putting 20 hours in I think I just now realized something. So the exp % that rises up, that goes up after fighting? But it also goes down when you use a ruiner and starts over completely when you die? Is that right? So in order to get your exp % high up you have to not use the runiners or die? Am I following this right?:lol
The exp % bonus is directly tied to your combo meter. Combo 1 = +1% experience bonus, Combo 2 = +2%, etc...

ringlord

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Yep, exactly.

You can still use ruiners and not drop a combo level if you perform a 2-in-1 slide into a ruiner while you're progress to the next combo level is greater than half.

But, yes, if you die you lose that temp XP bonus until you're able to build back up your combo levels.

ringlord said:
Yep, exactly.

You can still use ruiners and not drop a combo level if you perform a 2-in-1 slide into a ruiner while you're progress to the next combo level is greater than half.

But, yes, if you die you lose that temp XP bonus until you're able to build back up your combo levels.

Does this just get you more experience? Or better loot drops at higher levels? Or if not what does increase your chances of higher loot drops. Even now I'm still learning :D

border

I hit level 50 at 25 hours of playtime. I am now at 35 hours and have been doing all the dungeons in co-op with my +% Loot Drop stat nearly maxed. I have not seen a single piece of red gear drop for myself or my partner. The only red gear I've seen has randomly turned up in the in-game stores. So basically it seems I'm better off rebooting the game again and again and checking the stores for good gear than I am actually running the instances.

People claim that your performance on a boss determines what they drop, but that seems like bullshit. Last night we downed Hel with no deaths in probably less than 3 minutes....and she still had nothing of interest for us. We completed uber-crazy challenge arenas in Helheim and the obelisks dropped runes and purples.

The one piece of Elite gear I've gotten from the store (the Berseker swords) is nice, but guess what the repair bill is if you die 5-10 times over the course of the instance? Roughly 130K. That's from a durability drop of 2500 to 2000. Now imagine if you were paying that on every piece of gear. The salvage value of the loot isn't going to go up anymore at max-level, so at some point it may actually start costing you money to run instances.

If this is how endgame progression grows, I suspect I will lost interest pretty fast. I can't keep plugging away at the same 4 dungeons again and again when the rewards are so pathetic.

Diseased Yak said:

Turn on the damage meter and compare the numbers.

That will give you your answer right there.

FrankT

border said:
I hit level 50 at 25 hours of playtime. I am now at 35 hours and have been doing all the dungeons in co-op with my +% Loot Drop stat nearly maxed. I have not seen a single piece of red gear drop for myself or my partner. The only red gear I've seen has randomly turned up in the in-game stores. So basically it seems I'm better off rebooting the game again and again and checking the stores for good gear than I am actually running the instances.

People claim that your performance on a boss determines what they drop, but that seems like bullshit. Last night we downed Hel with no deaths in probably less than 3 minutes....and she still had nothing of interest for us. We completed uber-crazy challenge arenas in Helheim and the obelisks dropped runes and purples.

The one piece of Elite gear I've gotten from the store (the Berseker swords) is nice, but guess what the repair bill is if you die 5-10 times over the course of the instance? Roughly 130K. That's from a durability drop of 2500 to 2000. Now imagine if you were paying that on every piece of gear. The salvage value of the loot isn't going to go up anymore at max-level, so at some point it may actually start costing you money to run instances.

If this is how endgame progression grows, I suspect I will lost interest pretty fast. I can't keep plugging away at the same 4 dungeons again and again when the rewards are so pathetic.

I'm guessing you mean Epic. Epic=Red. Anyhow I've got ~60 hours of playtime and have had 3 Epic helms drop (2 lv 50), a few Epic charms, a couple of Epic runes, and the last one which was my class specific helm (Berserker, Cybernetic) came from the last boss with the loot percentage drop maxed before the death blow. So I got my first class specific Epic armor piece at almost 60 hours in so yea I expect a serious grind no doubt about it. I also have my Epic staves which came from the weapon store and I've yet to see Epic armor on the store as of yet.

On a side note I was dieing like you were but have gotten much better so my repair bills have gone down quite a bit. Like you the first time I had to repair my Epic staves I was like ouch. I had 7 million in bounty as of last night. The cash starts flowing on level 4 with fairly clean runs.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Found it!!
1zl8w9t.jpg

border said:
People claim that your performance on a boss determines what they drop, but that seems like bullshit. Last night we downed Hel with no deaths in probably less than 3 minutes....and she still had nothing of interest for us.

Combos. Not deaths or lack thereof. Combos are a real bitch on alot of bosses and takes a whole different level of gameplay. Combos, Sir.

border said:
We completed uber-crazy challenge arenas in Helheim and the obelisks dropped runes and purples.

On the challenge rooms, I've always gotten atleast one orange. You're having some bad luck although that was solo play and not co-op.

border said:

Get better, don't die...as much.

border said:

If you're already feeling this way, then maybe the game isn't for you. I have a 39th level Defender as my "main" and I play a bit each night and get a level or two. At that level, I don't see alot of loot drops that I can use, but I still get a number of them and I'd have two red items already instead of the one I have if I hadn't accidentally deleted the chestpiece.

I'm always, ALWAYS working towards increasing my combo meter and that might very well be the reason why I've been lucky with my loot drops.

Doodis

VaLiancY said:
I would level my Commando but my wrist is killing me from playing SPEA last night. I got an epic helm from Hod only to found it was part of a Champion set so I gave it to SPEA instead. Hopefully we can get some better shit for my 'Zerker tonight.
I guess I must have missed this, but how do you tell if a piece of armor is for a specific class? Is it listed on the stats page? I know it says if it's human/cybernetic alignment, but I wasn't aware of character class alignments.

FrankT

Cornballer said:
Challenge room in the Ice Forest.

I found that the first time I ran through, but does anyone remember or know which specific section that is on 2?

Doodis said:
I guess I must have missed this, but how do you tell if a piece of armor is for a specific class? Is it listed on the stats page? I know it says if it's human/cybernetic alignment, but I wasn't aware of character class alignments.

Yea there are class specific armor pieces. I got a Epic helm for Berserker off Grendel, but it was for Human Berserker only. Thankfully I got my class specific piece off the final boss yesterday, Berserker Cybernetic. It says in the stats listed if it is class specific.

Doodis said:
Yup, on the stat page. I think it's right under the human/cybernetic listing.
Jtyettis said:
I found that the first time I ran through, but does anyone remember or know which specific section that is on 2?
I can't remember exactly. It was one where you blast through the sidewall on one of the platforms and head up a ton of ramps. About midway through the level. The only time I cleared it was when the game glitched and let me die multiple times before finishing the room. :/

PhatSaqs

Banned
About the rares.... how do Orange and Red show in the menu? Not sure if i've seen an Orange yet or maybe that's all i've been getting. The text looks red in the weapon/armor menu, and the item itself is red on the selection screen but the display icon that shows when you pick up the drop looks a little yelllowy/orange.

Do reds show up as red on the screen when you first get them?

edit: the Ice Forest challenge room is flat out fun as hell.

FrankT

PhatSaqs said:
About the rares.... how do Orange and Red show in the menu? Not sure if i've seen an Orange yet or maybe that's all i've been getting. The text looks red in the weapon/armor menu, and the item itself is red on the selection screen but the display icon that shows when you pick up the drop looks a little yelllowy/orange.

Yea

Xenon

border said:

People claim that your performance on a boss determines what they drop, but that seems

I think its a little too easy to level up in the higher levels. Im at 47 now but I seem to be gaining a level and half just by running HoH. I dont think people should be hitting the ceiling so quick.

The game has been out a week and you have people in epic armor sets and weapons already. Its like the genesis planet of dungeon hacks.

Doodis

Cornballer said:
The only time I cleared it was when the game glitched and let me die multiple times before finishing the room. :/
The exact same thing happened to me there last night. I died twice but wasn't booted out, and all of the obelisks were lit up when I reached them. Lots of orange drops.

PhatSaqs said:

Not only do they show up differently but different music plays when you get them too.

Purple items play an orchestral "dun dunnnnnnnh".

Orange items play a different tune as do red so even if you miss seeing the item, the music playing will clue you in.

Xenon said:
I think its a little too easy to level up in the higher levels. Im at 47 now but I seem to be gaining a level and half just by running HoH. I dont think people should be hitting the ceiling so quick.

And then you have other people complaining that they're not getting enough loot and leveling too slowly because they're dying too much.

You can't please everyone.

I like the fact that I can turn on the 360 for an hour or two and get a level or two. I'm a high level raider in WoW though so it could be just that I miss getting XP. :)

border

bigdaddygamebot said:
Combos. Not deaths or lack thereof. Combos are a real bitch on alot of bosses and takes a whole different level of gameplay. Combos, Sir.
My combo meter was at 3 when Hel died last night -- still no interesting or useful drops.

Combo meter seems like a pretty awful way to determine drops. Most bosses don't even have a way for you to reliably keep your combo meter up, and you've got people here resorting to cheeseball stuff like dropping their Sentient Weapon at 20% health. I can't even build combo with ranged weapons, and there's a couple bosses that almost completely require you to use ranged (Garm, the robot in World Serpent).

I'd much rather be rewarded for how I performed in an encounter rather than whether or not I was able to get some meter up at the time of death.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I think I know which one now...hopefully I can work my way up to it tonight and get all five to pop.

Those towers are real bitches to beat when it comes to the timer.
Is there supposed to be a timer on that one? I don't think it activated for me. Weird.
Doodis said:
The exact same thing happened to me there last night. I died twice but wasn't booted out, and all of the obelisks were lit up when I reached them. Lots of orange drops.
Yup, same for me. I'm not complaining, though. :D
bigdaddygamebot said:
And then you have other people complaining that they're not getting enough loot and leveling too slowly because they're dying too much.

You can't please everyone.

I like the fact that I can turn on the 360 for an hour or two and get a level or two. I'm a high level raider in WoW though so it could be just that I miss getting XP. :)
I was thinking that I'm leveling too fast, but then I realized that I've sunk almost 30 hours into the game already to get near 50, which is a lot for me on one game.

border said:
My combo meter was at 3 when Hel died last night -- still no interesting or useful drops.

Your Combo Meter might have been at 3 which means you can use your ruiner three times but when I talk about combos I mean just that.

Having your combo count at fifty, sixty and plus one hundred hits makes a big difference in what drops you get...or so it seems.

border said:
I'd much rather be rewarded for how I performed in an encounter rather than whether or not I was able to get some meter up at the time of death.

So, you would rather the game reward you on how you believe you performed?

Gotcha.

Your logic is flawed but complain away.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Your Combo Meter might have been at 3 which means you can use your ruiner three times but when I talk about combos I mean just that.

Having your combo count at fifty, sixty and plus one hundred hits makes a big difference in what drops you get...or so it seems.

Are you sure? If so that is a really annoying way of doing it.

Francias Castiglione said:
Are you sure? If so that is a really annoying way of doing it.

I'm not sure.

I bust my ass to make sure my combo count is high high high and I get alot of purple and orange drops.

When I wasn't so concerned about the combo count, my drops were fine but not spectacular.

First time I fought Grendel I hardly had any combo count to speak of and I got sweet-fuck-all for loot.

Second time through at a higher level, I stomped his ass and got my combo count at a higher level and not only did loot drop but it dropped at a substantially high level.

It could be completely bad logic on my part but it seems to pay off for me.

Is the combo count available anywhere on the HUD? Also, is that the one that counts consecutive hits without taking any damage?

28su2s4.jpg

Is "combo count" the "hit counter"?

Raide

It makes sense to reward players will good gear when they play well but Too Human still manages to gives those "casual" players incentive to keep going by teasing them with so much loot. :lol

Its like people complaining in WoW on Welfare Epics (For those not down with WoW lingo, its basically high level items for casual players instead of everything for Hardcore Raiders)

I like the idea of having to do more than just upping a loot chance stat in order to get something cool.

Cornballer said:
Is the combo count available anywhere on the HUD? Also, is that the one that counts consecutive hits without taking any damage?

28su2s4.jpg

Is "combo count" the "hit counter"?

Yeah...THAT's what it's called.

Sorry about the mislabeling of things on the HUD.

The HIT COUNTER is what I am always trying to keep really high.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Yeah...THAT's what it's called.

Sorry about the mislabeling of things on the HUD.
No worries. Way too much terminology getting tossed around. ;) Do you know what that actually measures? In the manual it says "Time-sensitive indicator of number/power of hits."

Top Bottom