• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

fin said:
Just finished listening to that EvilAvatar podcast with DD. It sounds like they got some really great plans for Too Human. Denis hinted at some community stuff, I hope they go all Halo 3 on it and flesh out the online stuff ala Bungie.net. Wouldn't that be cool if SK aped Forza 2 and had an online marketplace that uses the ingame bounty for items? Kinda like a Too Human Ebay.

He also said that his favorate playable class wasn't in the game. So we can expect more character classes for either the DLC or the sequel.

an online auction house or something would be great addition

Combine

Banned
Finished the World Serpent last night. I'm at around 11 hours in, and even though I'm close to finishing, I'll no doubt either start a new class or continue working up to lvl 50. I for one am certianly getting my money's worth out of this game.

I actually really loved the level design of the Serpent and I actually wished it was a longer level (as opposed to the Ice Forest which I found too long), and especially the intro to it really was awesome. The boss battle I actually had no problem with and only died once. Its really simple when you just treat him like an oversized troll (of course, one which you cannot mount) and attack the various body parts. Definitely better than the Hod battle.

And yeah, Loki is a twisted badass. Definitely my favorite character in the game.

I definitely saw some of the most awkward cinematics thus far during this level though:

Thor attempting to strike the Serpent core
was not animated well and neither was when he
Through his hammer up to break the ceiling.
. And while the
Loki battle scene
seemed coreographed well to me, it needed to be much more fluid and not so skippy.

Shins

Banned
The lack of weight to things is definitely the worst offender in the graphics department.

fin said:
He also said that his favorate playable class wasn't in the game.
See, that just bugs me. As much as I enjoy the game, you have to think that Too Human could really use every bit of help getting its toe in the door with people. Withholding classes or levels or anything for any extended period when it could've been on the disc/factored into marketing/reviews seems so dumb.

Its great that there's plans for DLC, but I'd prefer less DLC and a truly polished sequel to copious amounts of DLC for a game that didn't sell enough to warrant continuing.

Francias Castiglione said:
Got it this morning, been playing all day. I'll post more later (must. keep. playing.) but this most certainly is not deserving of the ridiculously low scores some people gave it, I've played games that deserve those scores and I didn't WANT to keep playing them like I do with this. There are problems, not denying that, but the pros far outweigh the cons from what I've played.

My thoughts exactly. I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Everyone I've talked to who has hated on it hasn't even played it. Those who did play it, quickly became co-op partners.

xxjuicesxx said:
I can't believe Too Human didn't even make top 10 on Live activity this week.

yea me too. I thought Xbots were going to eat this one up since it's the first high profile release in awhile, but I guess it may be stuck as a niche title. Hopefully the sales aren't too awful so we can finish the trilogy.

Combine

Banned
Shins said:
The lack of weight to things is definitely the worst offender in the graphics department.

See, that just bugs me. As much as I enjoy the game, you have to think that Too Human could really use every bit of help getting its toe in the door with people. Withholding classes or levels or anything for any extended period when it could've been on the disc/factored into marketing/reviews seems so dumb.

Its great that there's plans for DLC, but I'd prefer less DLC and a truly polished sequel to copious amounts of DLC for a game that didn't sell enough to warrant continuing.
It sounded to me from listening to Denis that they were really having a hard time just balancing the current classes (and judging from some impressions, they didn't get it completely right) so its no wonder they didn't want to put any more in. Thats also pretty much the main reason probably why there was only 2player co-op, though I'm also thinking that the engine performance hindered that too.

Glix

xxjuicesxx said:
I can't believe Too Human didn't even make top 10 on Live activity this week.

I'm playing through single before I do any co-op. Maybe there are a lot of other people like me?

Shins

Banned
Combine said:
It sounded to me from listening to Denis that they were really having a hard time just balancing the current classes (and judging from some impressions, they didn't get it completely right) so its no wonder they didn't want to put any more in. Thats also pretty much the main reason probably why there was only 2player co-op, though I'm also thinking that the engine performance hindered that too.
Fair enough, I suppose. I can't listen to this at work (and to be honest, I kind of hate listening to Dyack talk :p), but that still strikes me as bad phrasing though. Saying you have some great ideas for future games is fine. Telling me your favorite class isn't even available is just mean!

Maybe Dyack gets off on withholding.

Glix said:
I'm playing through single before I do any co-op. Maybe there are a lot of other people like me?

That shouldn't matter. As long as you're connected to LIVE when playing Single player it should count as a Unique User.

In addition, Too Human came out on what... the 20th? And this is for the week of the 18th (not sure if it ended on 18th or began on 18th). Either way, I say if it has a full weeks to actually be calculated it will break the Top 10.

Glix

Shins said:
Fair enough, I suppose. I can't listen to this at work (and to be honest, I kind of hate listening to Dyack talk :p), but that still strikes me as bad phrasing though. Saying you have some great ideas for future games is fine. Telling me your favorite class isn't even available is just mean!

Maybe Dyack gets off on withholding.

Yeah, thats what Buster said! :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yup, any game that is "Live aware" will be tallied in Nelson's list. Even Oblivion cracked the top ten with no multiplayer to speak of. The only way a title isn't seen by Xbox Live anymore is if the console isn't online at all.

Glix

(Concerning LIVE ranking) Well, guess its a niche title then! :(

I really really hope it does well enough to finish the trilogy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
it didnt make top 10? That's really weird, because the lowest ranked person I've seen on the leaderboards was like 100,000

urk said:
Yup, any game that is "Live aware" will be tallied in Nelson's list. Even Oblivion cracked the top ten with no multiplayer to speak of. The only way a title isn't seen by Xbox Live anymore is if the console isn't online at all.
sooo, with no too human on the top 10, bomba total?

Shins said:
I'd wait for next week's Top 10. If it hasn't cracked it then... :- \

then it's bad. This just doesn't seem like the kind of game that'll have legs and will sell by word of mouth like Call of Duty 4. Everyone that talks about Too Human seems to say "It's a lot of fun BUT" and then go off on its problems. And if this game sells poorly, why on earth would MS let them finish the trilogy.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jack Random said:
sooo, with no too human on the top 10, bomba total?

Not really. A lot of people might be playing it offline for the story before trying online co-op. Besides, there's still a sizeable chunk of Xbox 360 owners that haven't even gone online with their console once.

[edit]
urk said:

Okay never mind to the first half of what I said. My second argument could give TH-lovers hope, though.

Glix

funkmastergeneral said:
is there any way to reset the obelisks in the world tree? I think I blew my load there a little early and didn't get the best loot possible.

The proper quote would be ""Well, yes, but I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, so now I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands."

Stantron

_tetsuo_ said:
it didnt make top 10? That's really weird, because the lowest ranked person I've seen on the leaderboards was like 100,000
When I checked last night, the lowest person on the All-Time Total Kills leaderboard was ~119K. Keep in mind that this is not really a good judge of units sold since rentals, and playing same game on multiple 360's would also count, and also all the free copies that go out to press/etc. But then, on the opposite end, you have all the people who bought the game and are not connected to live at all.

For now, until the sales numbers come out, let's call it a wash.... is ~120K first week considered to be at least decent sales numbers? I usually don't keep up with NPD. Damn, I sure hope so.

Combine

Banned
Another thing I'd like to see in the sequels is more audio options. I really would love some sliders to be able to set the Music, SFX and Voices at different levels, because in my setup at least, the SFX are way too loud and drown out the rest of the audio.

Then again, the audio in general also needs to be heavily optimized because there were several glitches with it that I've noticed during regular gameplay.

This may not be a "glitch" but one example of audio not behaving correclty is in the Aesir HQ, when you listen to those tour guides and the camera pans (scripted that way it seems) to look closely at the object of interest, the audio (voice) decreases volume until the point where it is inaudible until the camera pans back to normal. The voice should never decrease in volume even though the camera is moving away, since that is a scripted sequence.

Glix

Combine said:
Another thing I'd like to see in the sequels is more audio options. I really would love some sliders to be able to set the Music, SFX and Voices at different levels, because in my setup at least, the SFX are way too loud and drown out the rest of the audio.

Then again, the audio in general also needs to be heavily optimized because there were several glitches with it that I've noticed during regular gameplay.

I've heard several people say the same thing about the SFX being too loud. Its that way for me too.

It especially sucks that the Subtitles don't really work in some spots.

Combine said:

Yeah, sound is the major nag for me. Having to shift the volume up and down for cutscenes and gameplay is a drag, and if I leave it up by accident it's WAY too loud.

goldenpp72

Ninja gaiden has like 300k people on the leaderboards despite having sold well over double that by now, I think too human will be fine.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Anyone been inspired to read any Nietzsche? Anyone read Human, All Too Human? Or the concept of the eternal recurrance or the Ubermensch?

Good stuff.

FrankT

RSTEIN said:
Anyone been inspired to read any Nietzsche? Anyone read Human, All Too Human? Or the concept of the eternal recurrance or the Ubermensch?

Good stuff.

Never inspired to read Nietzsche even after countless hours of it in grad school.

FrankT

RSTEIN said:
Pfft. Take your slave morality and shove it, you God worshiping idiot.

:lol

You don't have to be any of those things to not understand/enjoy/drink up his complete and utter shitola. Now Hobbes and Machiavelli that is my cup of tea. Political philosophy happens to be one of my specializations for my doctorate.

20 inventory spots for charms just isn't enough when you're trying to finish a tier 3 charm, I wish there was some kind of bank like PSO

I really, really like this game though. Too Human 2 could be amazing

This game can look bloody brilliant at times, the lighting from the floor when you fight Hod makes shiny armour look gorgeous (shitty boss battle though,
stupid flipping blind bastard
!) and the World Serpent has some great looking areas at the ends of the mundane corridors.

fin

I should be home in about 2 hours. Work has been taking forever today. I'm sorta in a pickle:

Should I keep playing with my lvl 50 Champion searching for loot.
or
Start some new characters and see how they play. I also got teen level Zerker and Commando
or
Start a new story mode and see if there is anything that I missed.

I really wish there was real people in the Aesir lobby for coop, kinda like the PSU lobbies.

The End

I really, really enjoyed the demo. Spent almost 2 hours last night playing through it, fiddling with my equipment, etc.

I think I'm going to reward myself with the game for finishing my Unix Networking class this week.

Any hope of finding codes for the bonus pre-order armor lying around? Can you buy in on XBLM?

The End said:
I really, really enjoyed the demo. Spent almost 2 hours last night playing through it, fiddling with my equipment, etc.

I think I'm going to reward myself with the game for finishing my Unix Networking class this week.

Any hope of finding codes for the bonus pre-order armor lying around? Can you buy in on XBLM?

You know I have a code I didn't use at all and it wouldn't pain me to give it up. Pm me and when I get home I can pm you the code.

Glix

slasher_thrasher21 said:
You know I have a code I didn't use at all and it wouldn't pain me to give it up. Pm me and when I get home I can pm you the code.

If anyone else has a code, it would be really, really cool.

Thanks!

FrankT

funkmastergeneral said:
20 inventory spots for charms just isn't enough when you're trying to finish a tier 3 charm, I wish there was some kind of bank like PSO

I really, really like this game though. Too Human 2 could be amazing

A bank should be essential for Too Human.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey all,

I posted a couple of things today I think you'll be interested in. Two parts of an interview I conducted with the design, art and sound directors of the game. I specifically asked not to talk to Dyack for his one.

So you've got this post:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/27/too-human-developers-share-impressions-of-denis-dyack/

Carman Dix, Art director of “Too Human”:
Underneath, Denis is still that boy that genuinely loves video games with a passion.

And this much longer one:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/27/three-too-human-developers-discuss-games-reputation-breakthroughs-and-criticisms-denis-dyack-not-included/

Steve Henifin , Audio director on “Too Human”: “The public perception of what ‘Too Human’ was I don’t think scratched the surface of what was really going on here internally.

There's a good amount of stuff in the second one about the controls, the art direction, sound, why the game has as many levels and enemies as it does. Etc.

Enjoy

stephentotilo said:
Hey all,

I posted a couple of things today I think you'll be interested in. Two parts of an interview I conducted with the design, art and sound directors of the game. I specifically asked not to talk to Dyack for his one.

So you've got this post:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/27/too-human-developers-share-impressions-of-denis-dyack/

And this much longer one:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/27/three-too-human-developers-discuss-games-reputation-breakthroughs-and-criticisms-denis-dyack-not-included/

There's a good amount of stuff in the second one about the controls, the art direction, sound, why the game has as many levels and enemies as it does. Etc.

Enjoy

Thanks for that, great read.

I totally agree with the stuff about the right stick combat, there is a depth there that just isn't apparent until you sit down and play through some of the more intense encounters later on.

I've also already encountered way more enemy types than I expected in the game. When I saw that end game stat screen that Denis posted on IGN my heart sank when it was simply Goblins, Dark Elves, Trolls and Undead, but the variations and polarities within those groups make for a nice array of foes that require different approaches.

bathala

Banned
photo.jpg

Bioengineer armor looks tight. almost like Crysis armor

Mifune

Mehmber
I am pretty pleased with myself as I just beat the third level boss solo as a zerker and ONLY died twice.

And those deaths were totally avoidable.

Top Bottom