• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Shins

Banned
VaLiancY said:
funnything is my Sentient Weapon was up and did tons of fucking damage while his was on cooldown.
They have got to patch in some indicator to let me gauge when it will be available again.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Got the game a day early here (I'm Australia) along with my armor bonus card.

Berserker.

Just beat the first level. Boss killed me a number of times until I figured out his pattern.

I've chosen the cybernetic path as I wish to please ODIN.

Speaking of which, I keep a copy of Norse mythology next to me as I play the game in case I don't recognise the characters or the settings.

Mairu

Finally got the Jack of all Trades achievement today, yay!

I added up the playtime of all of my characters and noticed that I've got about 20.5 hours of Too Human playtime so far, and I've only had the game since Friday. I'm so glad I ended up ignoring the negative buzz around the game and decided to get it. I've only beat the game once with a friend in coop and my highest character is only 28 (BioEngineer) but I'm enjoying it so much.

mm04

So I finally took down Hod and it went straight to a cinematic. Does he not drop any loot? That was disappointing, but I did get an orange pair of boots a few encounters earlier so not all is lost. I swear, Giancarlo must've had some great luck because it isn't nearly the equipment exchangefest he claims it is and I'm 18 levels in. I wore my level 8 purple gear for a good 4 or 5 levels before I switched to something else.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
mm04 said:
So I finally took down Hod and it went straight to a cinematic. Does he not drop any loot? That was disappointing, but I did get an orange pair of boots a few encounters earlier so not all is lost. I swear, Giancarlo must've had some great luck because it isn't nearly the equipment exchangefest he claims it is and I'm 18 levels in. I wore my level 8 purple gear for a good 4 or 5 levels before I switched to something else.

I just beat Hod as well and did not receive anything (maybe I did, but nothing exciting). The bosses don't seem to drop anything good. I agree with you about the loot. I find myself wearing my blueprint stuff for maybe about 3 levels or so before a superior alternative pops up.

WipedOut

God this game is addictive. Finally beat the Ice Forest last night. Beserker and HOD = Not fun. Must have died 10 times. Reached level 20 and now have a full compliment of Orange Armor and Weapons. Unfortunately they are level 24 and can't touch them yet.

FoeHammer

Well, I beat the Ice Forest without dying and I didn't get the achievement. That sucks.

I've put a little over 30 hours in so far and I just hit level 46 with my Berserker. Once you level up the twin blade skill to the max and get an awesome set of swords combat becomes a lot more manageable, even in the Ice Forest.

Soroc

VaLiancY said:
Come on Dennis, give me a caster or something like the Sentinel in Mass Effect. I really wanted the Bioengineer to be a support class with the ability to cast status effects and also do some healing.

I must listen to this interview.

This is how I play my BE. My Grenades do poison damage so I put up DOT's (Damage over time) and I also have 3 points in the left tree so that enemies i hit turn into allies. Kinda like Mind Control. So in a way there are some status effects we get to use :D I think my poison though is from a charm but I can't tell as I've removed the toxin charms and I still do the DOT :D

WipedOut said:
God this game is addictive. Finally beat the Ice Forest last night. Beserker and HOD = Not fun. Must have died 10 times. Reached level 20 and now have a full compliment of Orange Armor and Weapons. Unfortunately they are level 24 and can't touch them yet.

Use your sentient weapon, rack up ruiners, keep doing that to root him, and then execute finishers.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hey look Too Human is out in Australia and Japan as of like right now! GO GO GO!!!

(OP updated appropriately... or not appropriately, LoL)

C Jones

RSTEIN said:
I just beat Hod as well and did not receive anything (maybe I did, but nothing exciting). The bosses don't seem to drop anything good. I agree with you about the loot. I find myself wearing my blueprint stuff for maybe about 3 levels or so before a superior alternative pops up.
Same here. Took me forever to find a decent one hand sword, and when I did I couldn't equip it (orange blueprint). Had to level about about 5 times before I could. I'm finally using it and heads are rolling - it's great. When I finally get some orange pistols that use slug ammo I'm going to jump through the ceiling. As you get higher in level you really are changing less often and you're hunting for that specific item; it's sooo satisfying when you finally find it. I'm definitely not tripping over awesome loot by any means.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I defeated Garm and saved. When I come back into the level, the door won't open. In fact, it's dark until I cross back over the small bridge to the central arena. At that point, the glyphs on the door light, but it still won't budge.

If I reload the save, it starts me out to the left hand side of the door, in a small elbow where I can hear the sound effect of chains and gears moving. If I strut around the area and return, the "Saving" dialog will appear on the lower right, but the door still refuses to open.

Any ideas? Please tell me that I'm an idiot and there's a latch or lever I need to yank on.

:(

Urk you might have to restart the level. I was in co-op with a dude and we got to the elevator at the end of where that door that wont open for you takes you. The friggen elevator wouldn't start no matter what we did. We were just locked in the elevator we ran around for a few minutes trying to get it to start we eventually just went to Aesir and started a new level.

fin

urk said:
I defeated Garm and saved. When I come back into the level, the door won't open. In fact, it's dark until I cross back over the small bridge to the central arena. At that point, the glyphs on the door light, but it still won't budge.

If I reload the save, it starts me out to the left hand side of the door, in a small elbow where I can hear the sound effect of chains and gears moving. If I strut around the area and return, the "Saving" dialog will appear on the lower right, but the door still refuses to open.

Any ideas? Please tell me that I'm an idiot and there's a latch or lever I need to yank on.

You may have to restart.

I had a similar thing happen to me at the end of Helhiem, I was able to go through a door and my coop buddy wasn't able to. On his screen the door was shut and wouldn't open. On mine it was opening and closing like normal.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
fin said:
You may have to restart.

I already started back through the story so I could have a character that was in line with another player for some co-op, so it's not a huge deal. I just didn't want to get to the same thing again and was hoping there was a fix.

RSTEIN

funkmastergeneral said:
Too Human seems way too glitchy for such a high profile game

I would have disagreed with you before last night. However, last night I fought Hod and let's just say... yeah, the bugs in this game are cringe worthy - bad for any game but an absolute embarassment for a first party, mega budget, first-in-a-trilogy game. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but lets just say the targeting system totally falls apart at Hod. During the first two levels leading up to Hod, I was fine with the targeting system. Annoying at times, yes. But it completely falls apart to such a degree that you really have to wonder about Silicon Knights' internal testing and, well, just general game design philosophy and the care and pride they have in their games.

Anyways, I did beat Hod (without dying) and I'm still having a freaking blast with the game. There's a lot of good here.

RSTEIN said:
I would have disagreed with you before last night. However, last night I fought Hod and let's just say... yeah, the bugs in this game are cringe worthy - bad for any game but an absolute embarassment for a first party, mega budget, first-in-a-trilogy game. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but lets just say the targeting system totally falls apart at Hod. During the first two levels leading up to Hod, I was fine with the targeting system. Annoying at times, yes. But it completely falls apart to such a degree that you really have to wonder about Silicon Knights' internal testing and, well, just general game design philosophy and the care and pride they have in their games.

Anyways, I did beat Hod (without dying) and I'm still having a freaking blast with the game. There's a lot of good here.

I'm curious as to how if falls apart at that point in the game? Worked fine for me, and I've fought Hod twice now, without dying. The actual boss battle itself is too repetitious, but that's a criticism of the game in general I think, but I didn't find the targeting system at that point to be any better or worse than the other parts of the game.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm curious as to how if falls apart at that point in the game? Worked fine for me, and I've fought Hod twice now, without dying. The actual boss battle itself is too repetitious, but that's a criticism of the game in general I think, but I didn't find the targeting system at that point to be any better or worse than the other parts of the game.

I'd have to agree with Kung Fu.

Also good god. At level 47... geez, these levels are taking a long time to complete and they just throw all kinds of enemies at you. Its rather insane. A good insane. As for the glitches, I've had a few here and there but this game makes up for those with its awesome can-o-fun and addicting gameplay. I swear I could easily start a new character anytime and still have a blast.

Granted other games are coming out that will take my time away from Too Human, such as the awesome Castle Crashers, yet I know months from now I will easily be able to pop in Too Human and level up a character for a few hours and put it away... if the addiction doesn't grab me again!

geox

Finished it yesterday as a air-combo-oriented human Champion (skills: middle, alignment: right). It took me several hours to really understand combat, but once I did, I really started having fun (as opposed to dying often!)

I was really impressed by the architecture in the different levels, when you stop and think about it, it's really crazy stuff.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RSTEIN said:
I don't want to spoil it for anyone but lets just say the targeting system totally falls apart at Hod.

I don't know about "totally falls apart," but the flaws are definitely on full display during that segment. Instead of targeting a platform, my rifle would consistently snap to one of the mechanical pieces behind or next to me. After rolling to dodge attacks, it was almost impossible to reacquire the same target again without having to manually adjust the aim. And if you run backwards, you'll often shoot at thin air, instead of shifting into a backpedal where you can fire while retreating a bit.

When I rerolled, I focused on pistols and the targeting seems much better. I think part of that has to do with me pulling the triggers repeatedly, which shakes fallen foes in favor of new targets more rapidly, whereas the rifle seemed to constantly pick up freshly defeated enemies instead of any number of live targets moving toward my position.

Hopefully something they can work on for the sequel.

Glix

Did more of the ice forest last night, I don't have the time to keep up with you gaffers!!

I'm level 16 now, using Defender, going down the right side of the tree, the spider is too good.

I went human, any advice about going left or right on that tree?

I've been putting points into my RBumper move, it is really helpful.

Got a secret room in the IF last night, tons of loot at the top, got my first blueprints for Orange gear, a whole set!

RSTEIN

urk said:
Instead of targeting a platform, my rifle would consistently snap to one of the mechanical pieces behind or next to me. After rolling to dodge attacks, it was almost impossible to reacquire the same target again without having to manually adjust the aim. And if you run backwards, you'll often shoot at thin air, instead of shifting into a backpedal where you can fire while retreating a bit.

That sounds like falling apart to me :D

Yea the targeting system could have used some work.

It makes it easy to target certain spots on a troll but because of that system it makes it harder to individually pick a distinct target to hit.

This means you can't easily target the floating big guys on Helheim, specific floating platforms against Hod, or Polarity exploding goblins out of the pack of goblins charging you.

Also whats the deal with continually tracking enemies even after they are dead sometimes? Seriously once they're dead acquire a new target quickly, damn system.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RSTEIN said:
That sounds like falling apart to me :D

lol

Maybe so. After a few stumbles, I simply adjusted the tactic to compensate and didn't have many problems.

A configurable targeting system might have worked wonders. Something similar to RPG behaviors where you could go in and say, "Always target the most powerful enemy in range." If you wanted to acquire another target, you would just flick away. Or, "Never automatically target environmental objects while in combat."

I dunno.

Is there any way to easily get tier 1 charms? I just started doing the charm quests at level 38, and my problem is I don't have enough tier 1 charms to start working on my tier 2 charms, and only tier 2 charms drop for me now. am i screwed?

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea the targeting system could have used some work.

This means you can't easily target the ....., specific floating platforms against Hod, or Polarity exploding goblins out of the pack of goblins charging you.

o_O

You need to try harder.

My primary tactic against Hod is targeting specfic platforms. Infact I bring them all down to nearly nothing and then when he jumps to one...I burn it down before he lands.

As for Polarity mobs...I position myself; reposition if necessary and burn them down as they charge in.

funkmastergeneral said:
Is there any way to easily get tier 1 charms? I just started doing the charm quests at level 38, and my problem is I don't have enough tier 1 charms to start working on my tier 2 charms, and only tier 2 charms drop for me now. am i screwed?
I think there are a few in cyberspace on the first level that are designated tier 1 charms. Not sure how much variety there is, though.

funkmastergeneral said:

Newp.

Tier 2 charms accept Tier 2 runes...if I'm not mistaken...

I might be confusing tiers with colours though...

bigdaddygamebot said:
Newp.

Tier 2 charms accept Tier 2 runes...if I'm not mistaken...

I might be confusing tiers with colours though...

The tier 2 charms, the purple ones, do not use runes. They use tier 1 charms as runes. Or at least this is what I understand, that's why I didn't start the charms until now

Lebron

outside of the crappy targeting system, and at times, retarded camera system, the only glitch I had was when the game threw me into some black hole where I just kept falling downwards during the level 3 boss fight. Yeah, that was just weird. Had to had back to the aesir and restart the mission.

Ohhhh...yeah, sorry.

As for Tier 1 CHARMS...I still get them dropping and I'm 44th level. Not as much as I used to, but i only check my inventory when I level now and when I check back in...I always have two or three more.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Ohhhh...yeah, sorry.

As for Tier 1 CHARMS...I still get them dropping and I'm 44th level. Not as much as I used to, but i only check my inventory when I level now and when I check back in...I always have two or three more.

Wow, really? Maybe I just have shit for luck, my auto salvage is on blue, but charms aren't auto salvaged I believe.

Glix

How do you guys think this game will be recieved in Japan?

I know there aren't a lot of Xbox users over there, but I think that this is the type of Western game that the Japanese audience could really get behind.

PhatSaqs

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Wow, really? Maybe I just have shit for luck, my auto salvage is on blue, but charms aren't auto salvaged I believe.
Someone confirm this. Been afraid to do color based auto-sal as I dont want it touching my runes/charms.

Stantron

I made my first level 3 charm last night. Now, when I hit an enemy, there is a chance of creating a large puddle of yellow toxin that disintegrates enemies that walk into it. Better yet, the puddle will spread larger and in the direction of enemies it kills. Haven't been able to try it on Trolls yet, but it's pretty damn awesome.

Stantron

PhatSaqs said:
Someone confirm this. Been afraid to do color based auto-sal as I dont want it touching my runes/charms.
Confirmed. runes/charms are not affected by any of the auto salvage settings.
edit: however blueprints are affected.

PhatSaqs said:
I'm pretty sure that's the case. I have auto-salvage set for blue, and I always get the "Inventory Full" message when new charms pop up. I think with runes it just gets rid of the least valuable ones, though.
Stantron said:
I made my first level 3 charm last night. Now, when I hit an enemy, there is a chance of creating a large puddle of yellow toxin that disintegrates enemies that walk into it. Better yet, the puddle will spread larger and in the direction of enemies it kills. Haven't been able to try it on Trolls yet, but it's pretty damn awesome.
Awesome. :lol

Got it this morning, been playing all day. I'll post more later (must. keep. playing.) but this most certainly is not deserving of the ridiculously low scores some people gave it, I've played games that deserve those scores and I didn't WANT to keep playing them like I do with this. There are problems, not denying that, but the pros far outweigh the cons from what I've played.

fin

Just finished listening to that EvilAvatar podcast with DD. It sounds like they got some really great plans for Too Human. Denis hinted at some community stuff, I hope they go all Halo 3 on it and flesh out the online stuff ala Bungie.net. Wouldn't that be cool if SK aped Forza 2 and had an online marketplace that uses the ingame bounty for items? Kinda like a Too Human Ebay.

He also said that his favorate playable class wasn't in the game. So we can expect more character classes for either the DLC or the sequel.

Top Bottom