• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too many branching paths kill me.

BossLackey

Gold Member
There are a lot of games that have branching paths to traverse. You go down what feels like the "side" path to collect whatever loot or fight whatever enemy or learn whatever fact you need for the future. Then you return to the path you were on.

But every once in a while, a game will branch...and then branch again. And again. And again. I have a fucked memory, so this turns into a freaking nightmare.

Did I go down this way? Halfway down and oh yeah I already did. Repeat many times. It's exhausting.

Am I alone here?

Crayon

The branch with the potion at the end is lame. It trains you to backtrack from the objective once you've found the right way.

But a real labyrinth with multiple paths that takes real exploration? I'm down. I finally played powerslave recently and that motherfucker had me looking under my couch cushions the next key.

Jinzo Prime

Never play Shadow the Hedgehog:

5a3561675e293.jpg

DU-jciBVMAA5FUn

HL3.exe

Don't care much about branching, but I do love reactivity.

Like characters responding to my actions or a slightly different unexpected outcome due to my actions.

Kinda hate it when it a obvious 'choose left of right via dialogue tree' branching path.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I like exploring when there is value in what you'll find but there is a necessary balance in that game design as there is almost certainly things that you won't find because of the path you take and back tracking only to find things that aren't valuable or useful can be super annoying.

It's a simple fix and some games have done this well. Basically, the unexplored areas appear darkened (so you have no idea what size they are), while the explored areas are displayed or highlighted.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Never play a King's Field game lol.

Branching paths are cool, but there has to be some landmarks and details to be able to differentiate the areas. If it's all copy&pasted hallways and rooms then it gets confusing and therefore, it sucks.

NoobSmog

I don't mind exploring a bit, but 2 linear branching paths with one having loot or something you can miss is incredibly annoying. It's why I like main objective waypoints like in deadspace so you can at least see which way you're supposed to go, and go the other way.

Last edited:
I personally don't mind that exactly, but what I want, is if I enter a room that has 5 doors or paths, PLEASE put an indicator of some kind showing which is the door that will progress the game.

Be as transparent as possible if you need to, put a red glowing arrow pointed at it.

So that I can explore the 4 other doors worry free.
Even if those doors have 6 other doors inside it.
I know where is the "main" door, I will find my way back.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love exploring.

It’s when there’s no map and the paths all look the same and just keep branching that it gets frustrating.

I simply can’t remember where I’ve been so I end up going over the full thing twice it seems.
You are way overthinking this, Just see where the path gets you thats essentially what exploring is all about.

Is okay to get lost, I personally miss that in video games.

Generic

There are a lot of games that have branching paths to traverse. You go down what feels like the "side" path to collect whatever loot or fight whatever enemy or learn whatever fact you need for the future. Then you return to the path you were on.

But every once in a while, a game will branch...and then branch again. And again. And again. I have a fucked memory, so this turns into a freaking nightmare.

Did I go down this way? Halfway down and oh yeah I already did. Repeat many times. It's exhausting.

Am I alone here?
Agree. It mess with my OCD.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Dungeon crawler player and programmer here. I love backtracking. It's not for everyone and it sometimes can be overkill (especially in Metroidvanias) but I'm currently doing Legend of Grimrock on Switch and every time I solve something it adds to the accomplishment feeling. I don't necessarily feel like I need to get everything (not anymore, mind you, I remember trying my best to get a Ragnarok magicite and the Illumina sword in FF6 using the Relm glitch just because of completeness) but a bit of backtracking should always be allowed, if only to catch a glimpse on something you didn't realize at first.

Ovek

7Member7
It’s called…ahem… replayability. No one said you have to to every last little thing on your first play through.

BossLackey

Gold Member
It’s called…ahem… replayability. No one said you have to to every last little thing on your first play through.

Bro. Who the FUCK has time to replay games?

I've always wondered that. People with tiny backlogs? People who play two genres?

So I have a bad memory and you expect me to remember where I did and didn't go ON THE NEXT PLAYTHROUGH?

giphy.webp

Ovek

7Member7
Bro. Who the FUCK has time to replay games?

I've always wondered that. People with tiny backlogs? People who play two genres?

So I have a bad memory and you expect me to remember where I did and didn't go ON THE NEXT PLAYTHROUGH?

giphy.webp

Well you have time to track down every path or bonus objective in a single play through…. So you? lol

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Having such a bad memory is certainly not a common thing sorry to say. Yes the majority of us remember where we went even in games like ER. Even if a weaker memory the brain should still remember certain paterns and I dont think you have that bad of a memory and you're just being a drama queen. Certain games can be annoying, sure, but you havent given any examples yet.

Mercador

That's why I didn't continue after Act 1 of BG3. I really loved the game but at the end of the day, I'm just exhausted, I don't want to do more choices.

SHA

We hating exploring now GAF

What a time to be alive.
That exploring bubble won't last for anyone, I was once like that, but now even though we get fewer big games, these big games are too complex for exploring unless you're behind the story and want to level up, you have no choice but it's no longer the intention.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I have a crazy memory for stuff like this. I can also drive around a city for like a day and remember it years later when I return.

I can also see complex code structures with their “branching paths” in my head.

Unfortunately I’m a retard when it comes to a lot of other things but for whether reason my brain loves this stuff lol

BossLackey

Gold Member
I have a crazy memory for stuff like this. I can also drive around a city for like a day and remember it years later when I return.

I can also

Having such a bad memory is certainly not a common thing sorry to say. Yes the majority of us remember where we went even in games like ER. Even if a weaker memory the brain should still remember certain paterns and I dont think you have that bad of a memory and you're just being a drama queen. Certain games can be annoying, sure, but you havent given any examples yet.

Saying I have a bad memory makes me a drama queen?! 🤣

Bro. Not that I need to explain myself to you, but if you only fucking knew.

I have nearly visited a neurologist multiple times because it borders on frightening how little I can recall sometimes.

I have gotten lost dozens of times in my small hometown I grew up in. On the main roads.

I legitimately do not know the birthdays of more than 3 people. I literally repeat my wife’s birthday to myself so I can keep remembering it. I remember the months of my parents and my two best friends and can usually get close to the date but am often wrong.

I carried and pen and paper in my pocket for 10 years so I could write everything down.

One of my earliest memories is riding in the car with my dad and asking him how he remembers where to turn and simply not understanding it.

There are others who have it worse of course, but my poor memory is unfortunately a core part of my identity and it has negatively affected my life almost every single day.

I would do just about anything for a better memory. I’ve taken nootropics. Meditated. Increased sleep. Removed alcohol (never drank a lot anyway), and have practiced memory exercises like Mind Palace.

I legitimately think I have an underdeveloped part of my brain.

I should definitely do like you but I lack discipline lol
Try as hard as you can to set a limit of 3 games per rotation.

My 3 games are one offline game (RPG, cinematic game, etc.), one online game (MMO or Co-op experience), and one variable game that might not have a story (for example a racing game). Right now it’s Sand Land, First Descendant, and Forza Horizon.

I stick to three games until I complete one, then I’ll rotate that spot for a new game that belongs in it. It also helps to take a minute to feel out which genre you’re in the mood for before selecting a new game to play. Don’t force yourself to play a sequel or the same genre just because it’s your favorite. That can lead to a quick burnout. Do things old school, rental/demo disc style, variety to mix things up.

Too many options tends to make one jump around too much and never finish anything. It’s why some will say they have nothing to play even though they have a Steam backlog of over a thousand games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i personally think its fine as long i can GET BACK to that particular spot, in other words, there is no missable items.

otherwise its very annoying.

Kerotan

BossLackey BossLackey you know I missed out on the M60 in MGS3 on my first play through because I missed the one optional branching path in that game. Well technically there's another after you cross the long water section with the hovering guards.

Have you ever played the original MSX games? I needed a YouTube guide to enjoy that maze!

In general though the only thing I dislike about branching paths is not knowing which is a dead end and which is the way to go. I like to explore all the dead ends before I progress past a point of no return.

sigmaZ

Am I alone here?
I highly recommend FF13.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Saying I have a bad memory makes me a drama queen?! 🤣

Bro. Not that I need to explain myself to you, but if you only fucking knew.

I have nearly visited a neurologist multiple times because it borders on frightening how little I can recall sometimes.

I have gotten lost dozens of times in my small hometown I grew up in. On the main roads.

I legitimately do not know the birthdays of more than 3 people. I literally repeat my wife’s birthday to myself so I can keep remembering it. I remember the months of my parents and my two best friends and can usually get close to the date but am often wrong.

I carried and pen and paper in my pocket for 10 years so I could write everything down.

One of my earliest memories is riding in the car with my dad and asking him how he remembers where to turn and simply not understanding it.

There are others who have it worse of course, but my poor memory is unfortunately a core part of my identity and it has negatively affected my life almost every single day.

I would do just about anything for a better memory. I’ve taken nootropics. Meditated. Increased sleep. Removed alcohol (never drank a lot anyway), and have practiced memory exercises like Mind Palace.

I legitimately think I have an underdeveloped part of my brain.

So we circle back to my main point, its a you issue, not a game issue. Your neurological disorder has nothing to do with the games branching paths. Most of them are pretty simple especially modern ones. It's like saying, Im blind, so its the games fault for me not being able to see. Cmon dude. And you still havent given any examples yet.

Hudo

Am I alone here?
You should play Wizardry 1 - 3 (and then 4).

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’m playing I am Setsuna currently and no world map or dungeon maps so I kinda get what you’re saying.

Top Bottom