• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami [Apr14] Pray while you shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What is going on here?
1387711519860.gif

I patiently wait the day when that will be more relevant to post.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Assuming that Beware the Batman doesn't get a second season (and that's a very strong assumption), it would be the shortest Batman cartoon ever (or second shortest if you count that crappy one from the 70s)

Batman The Animated Series ran for 109 episodes (that includes the redesign season on Kids WB)
The Batman and Batman: The Brave and the Bold both ran for 65 episodes each.
Batman Beyond ran for 52 episodes.
Beware the Batman overall is 26 episodes.

That's kind of depressing.
Also, reading the episode synopsis for the later ones tells me that late in production, they realized their mistake of not including more well-known villains so they started putting them in.
Man Bat, Deathstroke, Two Face

Assuming that Beware the Batman doesn't get a second season (and that's a very strong assumption), it would be the shortest Batman cartoon ever (or second shortest if you count that crappy one from the 70s)

Batman The Animated Series ran for 109 episodes (that includes the redesign season on Kids WB)

Also, reading the episode synopsis for the later ones tells me that late in production, they realized their mistake of not including more well-known villains so they started putting them in.
Action cartoons are dead in America. Too much money for not enough ROI.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You forgot Sailor Moon and its no real surprise that they'd only pick the most popular and iconic anime in the US for parodying. I guess they missed Akira though.

I'm going to repost my thoughts on BtB from the last Toonami thread (I'm not even sure why it came up anymore, but it is relevant again.):

While BtB hasn't been officially cancelled, I am fairly sure it was run off the air for pitiful ratings. Whether that is true or not, is to be determined, because honestly sometimes CN will just blame bad ratings or no toy prospects just to kill shows off (Symbionic Titan, Young Justice, Green Lantern) when they want to just switch gears at Stuart Snyder's whims.

I watched BtB weekly and despite being initially stand-offish to the show as I am to most CGI programs, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up liking it. I enjoyed it less than any other Batman show that I can think of, but it still was something that made me DVR it or tune in. The points brought up by others in this thread are absolutely true, Gotham just felt like any other city. It didn't have any kind of style or presence. It was just a backdrop that could have been replaced with a curtain with city buildings having been shoddily painted on it. Katana was a neat addition, but much like their choices of villains, I got the distinct feeling that the creators of the show were the kind of people that sat at home with the comics and wanted to be contrarian to what characters were actually popular. The kind of comic book fans that will argue all day and all night that this one obscure character/villain was more deadly than the Joker.

For me, this ended up feeling like the series creators were trying a bit too hard to be different for the sake of being different. Instead of Robin, we get Katana, a character from the Outsiders. Instead of old gentle Alfred, we get burly ex-MI6 Alfred who is really the only character I didn't care for. Dude sounded like Rex from Star Wars: The Clone Wars trying to help Batman. The villains, again, just pushed into being obscure characters that very few outside of comic readers would even know. I understand not just wanting to make the same villains prominent like always. It worked for Justice League Unlimited after all to really dig deep into DC's pantheon of characters. That being said, in JLU you still had Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, etc. to be the pillars of the show. They didn't just say "Here's our Justice League program. Superman, GL, The Flash, Batman, WW and J'onn aren't there. Instead the team will be led by Etrigan, Deadman, Jonah Hex and Negative man from the Doom Patrol." It felt like they were starting off on the wrong foot right from the beginning by being obstinate. Fans want Batman fighting the Joker (voiced by Mark Hamill). I don't think this is necessarily what sank the show, but it did create un-due animosity from the start. Oh and you know, the fact that it was blamed for killing GL:TAS and Young Justice, arguably two of the greatest shows that had appeared on Saturday morning Cartoon Network in years.

Something weird is going on at CN with regards to the DC Nation block. They were VERY amped about it before it came on, but when it came time and afterwards, they just kinda let it languish. I don't know the details behind the scenes but I get the feeling that the relationship between DC and Turner isn't as amiable as it once was. Also, I think it was a depressing hit when Disney acquired Lucasfilms and killed SW:TCW. That was an extremely solid show for them and season 5 had just kicked off to great things. CN had a very solid Saturday morning presence. Then in a matter of days, it was just upended. It never recovered.

Conan-san

Am I the only one that's tired of seeing the same old safe anime parodied in every American comedy sketch?
You're not. On the bright side though they haven't caught wind of the Moe'splotation or the Insest and with any luck they never will.

Not because it needs defended, rather I don't want to explain myself for an industry gone horribly wrong.

1387711519860.gif

I patiently wait the day when that will be more relevant to post.
Man if JoJo blew up as the next AoT that would be just lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom