• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami [Apr14] Pray while you shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gooooooood morning everyone.
Man, sleep is nice.

Space Dandy Episode 1 Repeat
Looking back in hindsight, people overreacted to this episode. Yes, Dandy likes hanging out at Space Hooters. But it doesn't become the central focus for most of the following episodes.

Bleach
October can't come fast enough...

Shippuden
It took an entire episode for Naruto to do one move, rather, start up the move. And I thought DBZ was bad...

One Piece
Franky flashback, prepare thy emotions.
By the way, sorry that spoilers got out of hand. That's what happens when the dub is YEARS behind where it is in Japan.

Blue Exorcist
Waaaaaaaaaait. Waaaaaaaaaaaait.
... Seriously, was that necessary? I can't imagine that scene was any better in the Japanese version (especially since Japanese women can have ear-piercing voices). And people wonder why I prefer manga.... that and no fucking Gecko Endings (like Blue Exorcist will have).

Black Lagoon
Still a damn fun show. I was hoping we'd get more bleeps considering that "Fucking Short Version" video... maybe some episodes are just littered with f-bombs while others aren't.

Gorillaz

Really digging Black Lagoon. Can't stress enough how much I appreciate that Rock isn't overly apologetic or acting as he's walking on eggshells or whatever, as a stereotypical newbie to a group might act. He's already settled in, isn't fazed by Revy's shouting/temper, etc. That Revy could so easily dispatch six pirate boats, no matter how incompetent, requires a little suspension of disbelief

Might have to get use to seeing an OP Revy and suspension of disbelief every now and then. Especially in the future.

Seda

Shippuden's music is often awful, at least at this point. Animation isn't hot either. It really hurt the Guy/Kisame duel there - the fight was half the episode but it wasn't all too interesting because it felt totally stilted.

Well, he is a little, but not a lot. You can see he still doesn't quite completely mesh... but pretty close!

Right, I'm just glad this 'warming up to the group' phase doesn't involve excessive amounts of Rock being overly diffident.

MikeMyers

Inuyasha run continues at 8pm eastern today.

Shippuden's music is often awful, at least at this point. Animation isn't hot either. It really hurt the Guy/Kisame duel there - the fight was half the episode but it wasn't all too interesting because it felt totally stilted.

Same composer as the new Sailor Moon I think.

By the way, I went from top poster to the middle after this Toonami.

Squalor

Damn, you guys completed nearly thirty pages after I left during One Piece to play video games.

That's impressive.

great stuff SAB.

The computers at this hotel are shit. Outdated OS and the images from my camera appear broken if I try to upload them. So the pics will have to wait until I get home in a couple of hours.

MikeMyers

Saw the new Abridged. Awe yeah best character Oolong makes an appearance. I never noticed how many times Yamcha pilots a helicopter in the series until it was pointed out to me.

This episode reminds me of why I dislike the canon version of the Android arc. There's like never any tension because the Androids would rather fuck around instead of doing anything. Cell's great when he first shows up, but he turns into a total moron when he becomes Perfect Cell.

By the way, best part of the new Kai OP is Goku and Buu biting each other.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair though the crew would be kind of boned if this set of Android's had the same killer instinct that the old ones did. They all would have died after Goku heart problems came up.

MikeMyers

Should have just stuck to 19 & 20, or not turned Cell into a total moron when he became complete.

Funny thing is when he spits out Android 18 and detransforms he becomes smart again. Then he returns as Perfect Cell and is dumb again.

Cockiness is a time and tested reasonable outcome of having lots of power and no immediate signs of a challenger. Frieza also faffed about instead of destroying everything the moment the dragon balls went inert. heck Half of DBZ is people faffing around whether they have business to get to or not. In the case of Perfect Cell he literally had nothing better to do since he didn't give a shit about his purpose.

I ALREADY TOLD YOU JOKERS THE SCORE

BACK THE FUCK UP

iWtkBARlwZabo.gif

Mark Henry vs Batman vs Aku for the honor of having Revy as their waifu.

I love this thread.

MikeMyers

Yeah, Toriyama really had no idea what the hell he was doing when Cell became complete (and most of the Buu arc). He's just a villain for the sake of being a villain. I mean he's gonna explode the planet if he wins the Cell Games.....and then what? Go to a new planet? Do you have a spaceship bro? Because you don't know how to teleport yet.

Not to mention he just becomes dumb. Semi-Perfect Cell gets an embarrassing beat down by Vegeta, but at least he is still crafty and outwits him. When when he becomes complete, he just falls for his owns trick. He lets the heroes grow stronger with the whole 10 day wait, and he just got lucky that the time chamber only works twice. Then helps Gohan become SSJ2 so he can start kicking ass. When he de-transforms, he becomes smart and does the Kamikaze explosion. But when he comes back as Perfect Cell, he uses his free cheap-shot to kill Trunks instead of Gohan!

At least his VA's are great though!

Levyne

Banned
Wasn't it implied he didn't know who he hit until the dust cleared?

Not that I disagree with your general point, I am just making a post.

MikeMyers

Actually, you might be right about that one.

I'm kind of curious to see what would have happened if he actually bothered to fight injured Gohan instead of just doing a Kamehameha.

Or if Vegeta/Krillin just used Destructo Disk to cut off Cell's hand when he was doing that Kamehameha so Cell would have to regenerate and lose his momentum.
lol.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually, you might be right about that one.

I'm kind of curious to see what would have happened if he actually bothered to fight injured Gohan instead of just doing a Kamehameha.

Or if Vegeta/Krillin just used Destructo Disk to cut off Cell's hand when he was doing that Kamehameha so Cell would have to regenerate and lose his momentum.
lol.gif

Krillin doesn't really get a positive moment in the whole Android/Cell saga. He does get a bit of personal drama of course but doesn't really stand tall often like he does when the Saiyans or Freiza show up. He gets a moral victory at least, the best kind of victory.

Also you're forgetting that Cell doesn't have a care in the world and can survive in space forever so he'd just fly to distant planets, accelerating at crazy speeds by shooting beams or whatever, killing everyone and having fun. It would be faster with instant transmission but that was still his plan all along.

Buu has no plans beyond destruction and fat Buu doesn't even really plan to do that.

MikeMyers

Krillin doesn't really get a positive moment in the whole Android/Cell saga. He does get a bit of personal drama of course but doesn't really stand tall often like he does when the Saiyans or Freiza show up. He gets a moral victory at least, the best kind of victory.

Also you're forgetting that Cell doesn't have a care in the world and can survive in space forever so he'd just fly to distant planets, accelerating at crazy speeds by shooting beams or whatever, killing everyone and having fun. It would be faster with instant transmission but that was still his plan all along.

Buu has no plans beyond destruction and fat Buu doesn't even really plan to do that.

Um yeah, I'm not sure what Krillin has to do with me not liking Perfect Cell. As for Buu, I don't think his arc in general is well-written, so there's that. Piccolo Daimao wasn't too creative off a villain. He's the evil split off Kami, so he hates peace and justice, but at least hes fun to watch and not a self-sabotaging moron.

We don't even know how fast Cell can travel to different planets at all, and keep in mind flying does consume Ki as well. And I fail to see how that deviates my point that he is just a snooze-fest. He has no motivation anymore. He got exactly what he wanted, and so everything he does afterwards just does not feel organic at all and is just there because Toriyama needs a plot. He just has to do villain things because he's the villain, but he doesn't have any reason for it. "Um... I guess I'll have a tournament! And, uh, if I win, I'll blow up the world... for... reasons. Why not? I got nothing better to do."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That was just to your idea of Krillin cutting off Cell's hand or something. That would have been a cool Krillin thing to do but he doesn't really have one of those moments in the arc, that's all.

Cell's motivation is dumb; he thinks he is perfect and that no being alive can stand up to him (he's sort of right, most of the people who can whoop him are dead/not really of this plane of existence) so he does all those dumb things.

Gooooooood morning everyone.
Man, sleep is nice.

Space Dandy Episode 1 Repeat
Looking back in hindsight, people overreacted to this episode. Yes, Dandy likes hanging out at Space Hooters. But it doesn't become the central focus for most of the following episodes.

I don't think it's fair to say people overreacted. Humor is subjective, some of us found the whole boobies gag to be cringeworthy rather than funny. Also, it was a world premiere, nobody knew the series would shy away from space hooters so the initial reaction wasn't unwarranted in my opinion.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People definitely overreacted because they expected Bebop with a bit of humor instead of the comedy show it was billed at. Others also overreacted because it was aired in English first.

It's fine that some people prefer the later episodes to the earlier ones, I like them all and generally think the second half was stronger but that doesn't mean that the narrative that a lot of people around the world overreacted because of their expectations wasn't true. It most certainly was.

It's especially evident if you read the official thread here. It's not like the quality of the show jump that much from episode 3 or 4 on so much as people finally settled into the idea that it was not Cowboy Bebop and was a pure comedy show.

Black Lagoon continues to be awesome for me.

Really liked the first Space Dandy episode on rewatch too.

So, What do you guys think of the new look that Toonami has? I think it looks slick.

I mean I could go with 'people overreacted' if you had posters saying 'this is the worst show EVER' after one episode. I didn't see any of that though; there was some 'this show isn't funny' and 'the boobies gag is childish' vibes going around but those aren't overreactions.

Squalor

I mean I could go with 'people overreacted' if you had posters saying 'this is the worst show EVER' after one episode. I didn't see any of that though; there was some 'this show isn't funny' and 'the boobies gag is childish' vibes going around but those aren't overreactions.
I watched a few episodes.

It just wasn't funny at all. Fan service is no replacement for good writing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
10 bucks per month, six month commitment. Charges you ten bucks a month, every month, for six months.

They did it that way so people don't just order Wrestlemania for a ten spot and cancel the next day.

Even then the going rate for Wrestlemania 29 by itself was 70 bucks for HD last year. With this you get the next six PPVs for less than the cost of Mania.

LOLDSFAN

Damn, you guys completed nearly thirty pages after I left during One Piece to play video games.

That's impressive.

The power of

tumblr_n3k9w1R40a1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

So, What do you guys think of the new look that Toonami has? I think it looks slick.

Well last night I was really hyped because it was something new. Now that the hype has died down I feel a little let down. I mean it does looks slick, but it looks so minimalist. I mean there's hardly anything going on. It's like a black background with circles and small circle dots. The Absolution still looks great. I like that they were able to add more shots of it. Also during the Now Next Later, the time in between next and later is really fast.

bigkrev

10 bucks per month, six month commitment. Charges you ten bucks a month, every month, for six months.

They did it that way so people don't just order Wrestlemania for a ten spot and cancel the next day.

Even then the going rate for Wrestlemania 29 by itself was 70 bucks for HD last year. With this you get the next six PPVs for less than the cost of Mania.

Yep, it's actually super smart on their part.
I'm going to watch 6 of the 7 hours (last hour of pregame, the 4 hour show, and the post game).

I'm burning down the world if Batista or Orton walk out as champ. I'd love a HHH "fuck the smarks" run, especially after the burial video package on Raw last week

Squalor

I can honestly say I don't know a single person in real life who still watches wrestling.

It's always surprising when I see people online who are still fans.

I can only recall watching wrestling when I was forced to by my boy cousins when we had to share a TV.

Also I would say something about last night shows but honestly spent part of the time during what i did watch sans Samurai Jac playing Infamous .

Raxus

I can only recall watching wrestling when I was forced to by my boy cousins when we had to share a TV.

Also I would say something about last night shows but honestly spent part of the time during what i did watch sans Samurai Jac playing Infamous .

I can't blame you. It is super fun. Shame it was so short. The Holloween DLC aprils fools jokes has me chomping at the bit for the potential for great post game DLC.

I missed a chunk of Star Wars and a bit of Jack because I was playing Batman.

I just slept through Dandy, Shippuden, and Bleach. Out of the three I assume I didn't miss much.

Squalor

Second Son? How are you liking it?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Star Wars kind of picked up at the end last night.

Nothing was truly awful last night. Bleach might have been the worst but even then it was slightly better than usual.

Squalor

Except that's never what it tried to do.
I never said it tried to do that. However, it certainly didn't achieve any quality writing in the episodes I saw, so since I disliked the writing, the fan service wasn't enough to keep me interested.

bigkrev

I can honestly say I don't know a single person in real life who still watches wrestling.

It's always surprising when I see people online who are still fans.

I know tons of people who are Wrestling fans, but I live in a hotbed area for indy wrestling (I live about 45 minutes from ECW arena, for example), so i'm not representative.

Squalor

I know tons of people who are Wrestling fans, but I live in a hotbed area for indy wrestling (I live about 45 minutes from ECW arena, for example), so i'm not representative.
Haha, yeah, that area is definitely a biased sample.

It's pretty funny to think that some people might have actually decided to live there because the arena is so proximal.

"Honey, we have to choose this house. The school district is amazing. We have a yard. And the ECW arena is only fifteen miles away!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom