• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
0stLzvN.gif

See you later.

Domestic Bliss.

Pidgeons were a theme tonight.

They've used this one a lot.

Overkill.

SAO Reactions, Part I

Back to jobbing.

Remix.

Oh, right.

1CWu4Fl.gif

SAO Reactions, Part II

Next Episode Preview

hAGOgyo.gif

Mum-Rah Sensei.

wzoqCfs.gif

Tag Combo Finish!

Cui is fired.

Commercial Outro.

Commercial Intro.

The real threat is...Nappa?!?

Thread talk about blue string girl.

My body is ready.

Time...for plot.

rxGxOjJ.gif

ckohler

I love your drawings this week, SAB. That Empire Strikes Back parody is not only timely but hilariously on point! Nice GIFs too, Man God. I look forward to these each week now!

An overall entertaining block of shows this week! On to the reviews:

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - Even though it was obvious who would win, it was still very satisfying to watch Cui get demolished by Vegeta. Freeze’s voice is growing on me and yet Zarbon sounds a lot like James from Team Rocket to me. I wish Bulma hadn’t turned into such a wimp, though. I prefer when she’s more rough-and-tumble. The sensu bean scene in the hospital was pretty damn funny. Another decent setup episode. Rating: 7 out of 10 jobbers

Kill la Kill - One of my favorite episodes. I love almost everything about it. The pacing, the music, the style, the character introductions, the funny moments in the bleachers and that cliffhanger. Boy-oh-boy, what a doozy! While I agree that Senketsu Mubyoshi (Sound Negation) is probably the lamest (and thankfully last) ass-pull in the series, at least the moment was pretty hype regardless. It was also made even better by the still stellar localization. Now that Nui has arrived and Ragyo has been revealed, the second half of the series can begin. Before that though, next week is the climax of the first half so don’t miss it! Rating: What 4th wall?

Bonus: For your enjoyment, here’s Nui’s haunting theme music.

Sword Art Online II - I’ve been looking forward to Kirito-chan’s reveal for a while now and it didn’t disappoint. Now he can seduce everyone of BOTH sexes! I’m kinda confused to if his avatar is actually female or not, though. More importantly, why pretend to be a girl to Sinon?! WHY?!? There’s no reason for it! Nice work beating the unbeatable minigame on your very first try you f’ing beater. Nothing is more grating than watching Kirito be a constant and wholly unstoppable idol of perfection that every character desires. Nothing would make me happier than if he somehow died and Sinon became the main character. At least she’s flawed. Nice lightsaber, Ani. Heaven forbid you learn to use a gun. Also, good thing you can drive that motorcycle that apparently is extremely difficult to drive. Wait… why would there be a vehicle in the game that is difficult to drive?! It’s like there’s so much potential with this show that’s immediately lost when every 10 seconds there’s another gaping plot hole that makes you question the writer’s sanity. At least it’s enjoyable to laugh at every few minutes or so. And it’s still very pretty. I’m certainly enjoying the show on those levels. Rating: He predicted the predictions. *smh*

InuYasha: The Final Act - I was surprised we got to spend a little more time in the modern era. I fully expected to be back in feudal times when the episode started. Instead we got to see Akane, I mean, Kagome daydreaming that she’s some great cook. That is such a Takahashi trope. Even though I’ve only been watching InuYasha for a short time, I’m already kinda tired of dealing the Kohaku’s plight. Just get it over with already. On the flip side, I very much enjoyed the tender moment and kiss between Sango and Miroku. These kind of legitimate character development moments are the best part of Final Act for me. A solid episode. Rating: Surprise puberty voice!

Naruto: Shippuden - If you told me that this filler arc was actually pulled from someone’s fanfiction, I would 100% believe you. I mean, Sora is such a generic fan created original character. He’s basically Naruto and Sasuke rolled together. Not only that, he immediately gets to be a part of Team Kakashi and even has some kind of nine-tails power or something. I fully expect Sakura to start falling in love with him any minute now. It’s been pretty obvious that Asuma killed Sora’s dad for a few episodes now so that wasn’t much of a reveal. Still, it was nicely done. Overall, this episode was actually fine. Just nothing exciting. Rating: Leaf village security sucks

One Piece - Spandam continues to ruthlessly abuse Robin; making me look more and more forward to his (hopefully) eventual beatdown. Also, what’s up with that sword/elephant thing? I hope that gets addressed. It looks like Franky might actually be the one to face him which would be cool since Spandam had Tom killed. I’m embarrassed to admit that I fell for that wolf guy’s ruse just like Nose King did. Man, Sanji’s entrance was suave as hell. On a side note, I still don’t really understand what the Gates of Justice are exactly. Are they just like a giant pair of doors to… someplace? Where? What are they connected to? Is there a wall? Whatever. I continue to enjoy this show! Rating: Nose Pistol!

Another good week made fantastic by one of my favorite episodes. Kill la Kill certainly brings in a lot of lively comments which is why I knew it would be a great fit for Toonami. I’m looking forward to everyone’s reactions to next week’s episode as well!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They'll explain the Gates of Justice again real soon but Sanji laid out the important points about it. There's a giant mass of water with no wind and a ton of Sea Kings there and it directly leads to the Marine's prison and HQ respectively.

Grexeno

One Piece - Spandam continues to ruthlessly abuse Robin; making me look more and more forward to his (hopefully) eventual beatdown. Also, what’s up with that sword/elephant thing? I hope that gets addressed. It looks like Franky might actually be the one to face him which would be cool since Spandam had Tom killed. I’m embarrassed to admit that I fell for that wolf guy’s ruse just like Nose King did. Man, Sanji’s entrance was suave as hell. On a side note, I still don’t really understand what the Gates of Justice are exactly. Are they just like a giant pair of doors to… someplace? Where? What are they connected to? Is there a wall? Whatever. I continue to enjoy this show! Rating: Nose Pistol!
Funkfreed is a sword that ate the Elephant-Elephant Fruit. No I did not type that wrong.

The Gates of Justice are basically a door that leads to an area of the sea that is not only impassible under normal circumstances, but is also infested with Sea Kings, and is connected to both Marine HQ and the prison Impel Down. The opening of the doors makes the sea passable, plus the Marines use Sea Prism Stone coating on the bottoms of their ships, allowing them to avoid detection by the Sea Kings.

ckohler

I forgot to talk about the censorship in my KLK review. There were two this week.

The first was when Nonon knocks Ryuko back onto the platform. There was a shot of Ryuko when she says, "Blow it out your ass, bitch!" The shot was zoomed in so you saw less of her boobs jiggilng.

Dn1aLnQ.jpg

The second bit of censorship was a shot that was replaced completely. When Nonon first attacks with her Symphony Regalia Da Capo, she knocks Ryuko to the ground. Senketsu says, "That music is so loud it's hurting me". It was the following revealing shot. Instead, they just kept the camera on their previous closeup longer.

YjcQyuw.jpg

Also of note, they didn't censor the full on body shot of Ryuko naked. Granted, it's Barbie doll nudity (like almost all the nudity in this show) but I'm actually surprised they didn't touch this shot. Hopefully that bodes well for some other scenes later in the series. I guess jiggling boobs is considered worse?

LJFnlZQ.jpg

Whoa. That's pretty cool! What show is that they parodied?

I'm slowly catching up in KLK so I can actually join you guys in watching it and not have to keep skipping. I'd be caught by now normally, but One Piece is so gooooooooooood.

Great! Hope you can catch up soon. Next week's episode of KLK is pretty damn epic.

Hey,
I forgot to mention that I watched the penultimate episode on Panty and Stocking and man when this show focuses on plot, it really becomes amazing. Loved this episode, one of my favorites.

To be honest, I've only seen the first few episodes of Panty and Stocking. The series is hilarious but the dialog in the dub is almost too offensive even for my tastes. Lol. It's still pretty funny, though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Funkfreed is a sword that ate the Elephant-Elephant Fruit. No I did not type that wrong.

The Gates of Justice are basically a door that leads to an area of the sea that is not only impassible under normal circumstances, but is also infested with Sea Kings, and is connected to both Marine HQ and the prison Impel Down. The opening of the doors makes the sea passable, plus the Marines use Sea Prism Stone coating on the bottoms of their ships, allowing them to avoid detection by the Sea Kings.

Funkfreed isn't even the first inanimate object to have eaten a devil fruit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I forgot to talk about the censorship in my KLK review. There were two this week.

The first was when Nonon knocks Ryuko back onto the platform. There was a shot of Ryuko when she says, "Blow it out your ass, bitch!" The shot was zoomed in so you saw less of her boobs jiggilng.

http://i.imgur.com/u4BDMcZ.gif

Also I can get this episode set and the next of One Piece from my library. Gifs are go. Might be in on Tuesday.

Just watch the latest episode of KLK, phenomenal as usual. Quite a run it's on at the moment. They're clearly taking the concept in the direction they've presented from the beginniig. Essentially, top this with that, then top this with that too. It isn't grounded in logic, so fucking run with it and go as crazy as possible. As for the climax of the 3rd elite four battle, of course there would be an encore in the match with Nonon. She's a composer of sorts. I'm a fool for not seeing that coming. And yes too to being defeated with her musical notes. Noise canceling without the headphones practically. Ingenuity at its finest.

And the dub is on point too. Good work matching the visual tone we see onscreen.

BBboy20

Just watch the latest episode of KLK, phenomenal as usual. Quite a run it's on at the moment. They're clearly taking the concept in the direction they've presented from the beginniig. Essentially, top this with that, then top this with that too. It isn't grounded in logic, so fucking run with it and go as crazy as possible. As for the climax of the 3rd elite four battle, of course there would be an encore in the match with Nonon. She's a composer of sorts. I'm a fool for not seeing that coming. And yes too to being defeated with her musical notes. Noise canceling without the headphones practically. Ingenuity at its finest.

And the dub is on point too. Good work matching the visual tone we see onscreen.
I keep forgetting you're a ToonamiGAFfer.

Whoa. That's pretty cool! What show is that they parodied?
Some show called Dagger of Kamui

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 98:

Right, so we take a bit of a pause on the focus episodes of the Inners to give Hakura her own focus episode as the anime engineers her as a motocross racer and quite the talented one at that. Anyway, The Death Busters attempt a change of tactics as they shift things into elimination of the Sailor Guardians which happens every so often with the villain groups. In all honesty this is a pretty mediocre episode until the trope known as Chained Heat for some reason is broken out and all of a sudden Uranus and Moon are reenacting their favorite escaped prisoner movie. The really important parts of the episode is of course showcasing two rivals who don't get along being forced to get along. Indeed Uranus and Moon learn just how different they are, the idealist vs the pragmatist, the loving against the callous ice. Also, Sailor Moon finally picks up on a hint or two. All and all an alright episode bolstered by some plot critical moments, mildly recommended.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 99:

Right, so we are back on track with the focus on the Inners as Rei gets her focus episode, unfortunately since she was already the victim of a previous pure heart attack they have to drag Yuchiro out of mothballs. Indeed, I don't think we have seen him since dealing with The Specter Sisters. That was also a much better episode as this time Yuichiro is cast as basically somebody who should be wearing a fedora and calling Rei Milady.as he misreads a bunch of things and thinks Rei is dating Hakura. This set into motion his possible exit fro the series and this all reeks of a bad episode of a Rumiko Takahasi series. See last season they had an interesting thing going with the platonic love thing but since that is incredibly hard to write for he has devolved into a unrequited lovestrck asshole. Kind of my overall problem with Yuchiro is there is really nowhere left for him to go as a character without moving things to at least an attempted romantic level. Also, yes Yuichiro, Hakura does indeed outclass you in about ever way imaginable. Strong recommendation to avoid.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Dn1aLnQ.jpg

The second bit of censorship was a shot that was replaced completely. When Nonon first attacks with her Symphony Regalia Da Capo, she knocks Ryuko to the ground. Senketsu says, "That music is so loud it's hurting me". It was the following revealing shot. Instead, they just kept the camera on their previous closeup longer.

YjcQyuw.jpg

Also of note, they didn't censor the full on body shot of Ryuko naked. Granted, it's Barbie doll nudity (like almost all the nudity in this show) but I'm actually surprised they didn't touch this shot. Hopefully that bodes well for some other scenes later in the series. I guess jiggling boobs is considered worse?

LJFnlZQ.jpg
I noticed the first one and pointed it out, but I couldn't find a screencap of it nor make one. Completely forgot about the second.

I...GUESS I can understand the reasoning/angle for the 2nd, but it's starting to seem like we're getting some random edits. The only connection I guess I'm noticing is that anything edited/censored out is a zoom-in.

Raxus

I don't know what qualifies as a censor anymore and what doesn't. It is just so random considering what is shown and what gets censored.

Also I lost to a guy named Kirito in Hearthstone. Filthy beater...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know what qualifies as a censor anymore and what doesn't. It is just so random considering what is shown and what gets censored.

Also I lost to a guy named Kirito in Hearthstone. Filthy beater...

Oh no, he's taken over Hearthstone now?! What next, Smash Bros? Bloodborne?

bigkrev

What I watched....

The last 2 minutes of KLK

I've stopped caring about this show, but I guess this girl has the other half of her scissors or something?

SAO 2
large.gif

Kirito is Moe now, still just the GOSH DARN BEST at everything. It's hard to stay awake for this shit.

Inuyasha
So i've missed pretty much every episode of this. Still laughed my ass off at Kohaku's new dumb voice though. Also, Inuyasha destroyed a house.

Attack on Titan
hqdefault.jpg

The only thing I can even think about during that scene anymore.

daveo42

Banned
I'm actually glad that SAO2 has so many points to rage over so far. It's made watching it more interesting than most of Shippuden. I just hope that holds up because the only thing worse than SAO is an SAO that's just plain boring.

The introduction of Nui in KLK is one of the great watershed moments of the anime and one where it seems like the game actually changes for everyone involved. Future episode spoilers:
Sad that she becomes mostly a troll character for the remainder of the series, since she has some serious potential when introduced.

Puruzi

Banned
The introduction of Nui in KLK is one of the great watershed moments of the anime and one where it seems like the game actually changes for everyone involved. Future episode spoilers:
Sad that she becomes mostly a troll character for the remainder of the series, since she has some serious potential when introduced.
The spoiler states that Nui remains the best character in the whole show.

daveo42

Banned
The spoiler states that Nui remains the best character in the whole show.

I see you wanting that avatar quote. You ain't getting it from me. Future episode spoiler:
She outlives her welcome after the episode where she impersonates and then steals Senketsu.

Soulflarz

Banned
Random- but I just realized TTGL on toonami doesnt really give you time to go from "this OP is weird" to "this OP is good" like most people do, since it doesnt really play the song.

Moaradin

I wonder how many of you would still say the same thing if you had to listen to the full version, which is like 2x longer and a lot more repetitive for 40+ episodes.

Raxus

Crazy Rainbow Star is one of those rare cases where less is more.

I remember disliking Jungle P but loving the full song too.

Brave New World and Kokoru no Chizu getting cut down are crimes though. Especially Brave New World which is so hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom