• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik317

You see, a character experiencing trauma and trying to use games to overcome said trauma would be a really interesting story, but the writers don't even know what tact is, so it kind of makes this serious issue into a laughing stock.

and knowing that the author's idea of fixing this is for her to eventually pine over Videogame Jesus' dick makes it suck even more.

This could work but knowing that Kirito is around to fuck everything up eventually hurts it for me. I joke over the stupid shit but last episode and parts of this were ok....I know that won't last.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
See I was expecting this too. A little disappointed to be honest - I thought the show would go full edgelord

See, I would have been on-board with this. At least it would show that the writers know they're shit at their jobs and are just going as far as they can for a laugh.

Takashi

Batman actually overcomes that fear. This girl is whimpering in the corner asking to be saved. All that being saved, it doesn't seem like her Mom was particularly supportive. Did she see no therapists over the incident?

I totally agree that her wanting to be saved is silly and her mom staring at her like she's a murderer is even more ridiculous. Just saying that it doesn't seem totally unreasonable that she might have gotten an irrational fear or PTSD from that experience.

Batman actually overcomes that fear. This girl is whimpering in the corner asking to be saved. All that being saved, it doesn't seem like her Mom was particularly supportive. Did she see no therapists over the incident?

To be fair, Japan is still totally backwards when it comes to therapy. IIRC, it's generally considered the job of the family to be psychological support even when they completely aren't qualified for it (like the mom clearly isn't). One reason why therapy is very rarely brought up in anime even those these people CLEARLY need it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Of course, just like every other female lead in this show, she wants to be "Saved" by somebody. And that somebody is Kirito

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
....and yet she doesn't freak out in game.. because of the different type of gun I guess ..sooo if it is only pistols...why the fuck is she a sniper..what good would that do?

fuck
I think its obvious she is playing the specific game to try and get over her fear, same as batman dressing up as a bat to get over his fear.

Given how well they actually work on this character (comparatively speaking) it makes me feel horrible that she's destined to be a harem member with a tentacle magnet pre-installed.

This backstory probably would feel a little different without a totally shattered Western (well, American) mindset. We don't even blink at incidents like that. Guns are a joke. We wish we lived in a world where people only got shot in self-defense. This girl would be a hero and canonized in the US.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
To be fair, Japan is still totally backwards when it comes to therapy. IIRC, it's generally considered the job of the family to be psychological support even when they completely aren't qualified for it (like the mom clearly isn't).

Soooo this is something that doesn't translate well overseas period due to values dissonance?
Hoo boy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Hey Asuna, people are dying in another MMO, so I gotta do what I did in S1 but with a different game cuz the government said so"

Can't say that because............?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh this is the dumbest shit. THE DUMBEST SHIT.

"Hey Asuna, people are dying in another MMO, so I gotta do what I did in S1 but with a different game cuz the government said so"

Can't say that because............?

Because there's literally no reason for him to do this, literally no reason.

Crocodile

YOU'RE GOING TO STOP PLAYING A GAME FOR A FEW MONTHS?

OH MY GOD!

tumblr_n1c4djqdoI1sr2rwmo4_r1_250.gif

It's a game, not your home

Hot nurse alert?

Everyone keeps saying therapy but I dont think japan really believes in therapy, thats why their number one form of death is suicide.

Don't believe in therapy? I'm going to need citations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom