• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It'll be interesting to see how Hunter does ratings wise.

While it was one of their most demanded shows, I have to wonder if the more mainstream crowd is gonna dig it.
Early Naruto was heavily influenced by HunterxHunter and American audiences loved that, so I can see it doing fairly well.

Early Naruto was heavily influenced by HunterxHunter and American audiences loved that, so I can see it doing fairly well.

well, early Naruto had the benefit of airing on a children's network and i think it went darker earlier than Hunter x Hunter does.

plus i wonder if people are gonna think it's a rip off of Naruto

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
well, early Naruto had the benefit of airing on a children's network and i think it went darker earlier than Hunter x Hunter does.

plus i wonder if people are gonna think it's a rip off of Naruto
Considering what we've seen of the Toonami audience at conventions, I'd say that's guaranteed.

Ugh more shonen anime. However, I heard it's one of the better ones so I'll give it a chance. The Toonami promo of it shown on PreFlight was pretty cool.

Ugh more shonen anime. However, I heard it's one of the better ones so I'll give it a chance. The Toonami promo of it shown on PreFlight was pretty cool.

It is one of the better ones. You could've ended up with Fairy Tail or some shit, and shonen anime or stuff about punching dudes will always be the #1 for the West.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hunter x Hunter? For real?!

... Guess I better go read the manga now. Even if I catch up and stay in the same hiatus spot as the rest of the manga fans, I'll do it!

Seda

Looking ahead, assuming similar trends, we'll hear about Dimension W's replacement on April 29th. May 6th.

i never did make it through the final arc of the Hunter x Hunter anime. not for any particular reason, either; i just kinda stopped near the beginning of it one day.

Hunter x Hunter? For real?!

... Guess I better go read the manga now. Even if I catch up and stay in the same hiatus spot as the rest of the manga fans, I'll do it!

Don't worry. There will be at least six new Hunter X Hunter chapters waiting for you when you catch up.

Then another two year hiatus.

Hunter X Hunter huh? Not sure how I feel about having yet another long running shounen series on Toonami. Can we sacrifice Naruto for a series that will end before I have children?

i've got some apprehensions about so many long-runners, too, if DBZ ends up transitioning into Buu or Super, but based on Toonami's track record, Hunter x Hunter is probably gonna be better than like 80% of what we would have gotten instead

I feel like having more than half the block e long running Shounen wouldn't be so bad if Toonami had more air time.

Which brings me to something I've wanted to ask for a while. Would you rather have:

A. The 11:30 timeslot once again
or
B. An extra hour after 1:30 MST (So Toonami would end at 2:30 MST instead)

You only get to choose one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i've got some apprehensions about so many long-runners, too, if DBZ ends up transitioning into Buu or Super, but based on Toonami's track record, Hunter x Hunter is probably gonna be better than like 80% of what we would have gotten instead

Hunter x Hunter is better than 99.9% of shows made. It's around the third or fourth best thing TOONAMI has ever aired.

It made me feel like a million bucks when my back was killing me and I was going crazy due to sleep medication.

The first ending though, man is that shit dire.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just tag one extra half hour at the end. Use it to air some oldies. They're just showing the Cleveland Show there now anyway, and nobody likes the Cleveland Show.

Seda

I'd take a moderately well-received long shonen over stuff like AGK, SAO.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Clearly they weren't fucking around when Lich King said this would be the biggest year ever. Jack, FLCL announcement, HxH.

Hunter x Hunter is better than 99.9% of shows made. It's around the third or fourth best thing TOONAMI has ever aired.

It made me feel like a million bucks when my back was killing me and I was going crazy due to sleep medication.

The first ending though, man is that shit dire.

(i was being really conservative about that 80% estimate)

and i kinda like the first ending

also i missed the promo because i assumed they wouldn't show anything

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also, it's only three years. Seems like a long time when you're young, but it's a blink of an eye to old fogies like me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Every Sunday after TOONAMI....I'm going to go back to a dark place in my life and review...Hunter X Hunter 1999.

I won't start until HxH the good version does.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ah, there's that over-hyping that turned me off of the show in the first place...

I used to hype up episodes of Bleach. BLEACH.

I most recently hyped up a non-canon™ episode of One Piece where a cute little reindeer super hero was bribed with a toy to throw a pro wrestling match. I hyped this for...a month straight.

TUSR

Banned
12 years.
Zenw4SR.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
12 years.

Pretty much. 2011 is also much much faster at the start (kind of to its detriment in the first couple episodes, honestly, which is all I've seen of the 2011 version), a la FMA Brotherhood. It goes much further than the 1999 anime does, though.

The 1999 show is great, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HxH (1999) has 54 episodes and a couple of OVA/Movies. It was done by the same company that did the Noozles. It has in my estimation the third or fourth worst Ocean Dub, which is saying something even coming from a massive fan. I think I made it through six or seven episodes.

HxX (2011) is a lot like Brotherhood, only this time I am on team Brotherhood. It was done by Madhouse, most famous for Trigun. It's a remarkably good looking show for something that goes on for three years and is very faithful to the source material.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
HxH (1999) has 54 episodes and a couple of OVA/Movies. It was done by the same company that did the Noozles.

Also the same company that did THE single most underrated show of the 2000s, Fantastic Children.

(Which, much like Hunter X Hunter '99, has an absolutely garbage English dub. In fact, one of the all-time worst I've heard in the 21st century. Truly a crime.)

Also, HXH '99 was 62 episodes.

I think Hunter x Hunter 2011 from an animation and direction standpoint is mostly just serviceable.

It looks a hell of a lot better than Shippuden does right now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom