• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parasyte did better than Akame huh?

I'm guessing Parasyte brought in more of the 18-34 crowd that drives television these days.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never understood where this anti long runner thing came from. Bleach did great premiere numbers so it ran whenever they had new episodes to run. DBZ Kai is the same thing, and if they get the rest of Kai and Super it could be on the air for the next 5-10 years!

One Piece and Naruto apparently do well enough to stay where they are. I hope to Man God that HxH does well.

Mik317

HxH ey?

I am currently at the start of the greed island arc (yoooooo that last arc doe)...so i doubt I'll stop but watching some things with you guys should be neat.

however, I remember the show being pretty meh early on IMO which led to me taking long breaks in between viewing sessions...so yeah

Seda

I've never understood where this anti long runner thing came from. Bleach did great premiere numbers so it ran whenever they had new episodes to run. DBZ Kai is the same thing, and if they get the rest of Kai and Super it could be on the air for the next 5-10 years!

One Piece and Naruto apparently do well enough to stay where they are. I hope to Man God that HxH does well.

Probably more personally-charged inclination than logistical. Variety can maintain an individual's in the block if the long-running stuff isn't their cup of tea. That said I think having 2ish slots for more normal lengths shows is still a good mix, HxH is supposedly one of the better choices regardless of length, and (to me) it seemed the number of good/recent shorter shows to choose from has started to dwindle a bit anyway.

I might be totally wrong on that last point, I know nothing about anime, remember.

jkMx5v8.png

There is a god.

I have heard that the first 20 or so episodes of HunterxHunter are kinda on the slow side.

Is there any truth to that?

Somewhat, in that they are introductory episodes. The actual first handful of episodes are pretty bad and way too fast in '11, skipping over stuff that lessens the impact of future events.

I have heard that the first 20 or so episodes of HunterxHunter are kinda on the slow side.

Is there any truth to that?

That is correct, sir. The show does take a bit to get going. But once it starts you'll be on the edge of your seat. Just hope the audience decides to stick to it that long.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Probably more personally-charged inclination than logistical. Variety can maintain an individual's in the block if the long-running stuff isn't their cup of tea. That said I think having 2ish slots for more normal lengths shows is still a good mix, HxH is supposedly one of the better choices regardless of length, and (to me) it seemed the number of good/recent shorter shows to choose from has started to dwindle a bit anyway.

I might be totally wrong on that last point, I know nothing about anime, remember.

They've run through a lot of the marketable and dubbed shows that fit in that 13-26 range lately so you are about on the mark.

There's a new crop coming though and some of these things like HxH just take time to set up. We were still moaning about a lack of knowledge on HxH's fate seven months ago and now its going to be on TOONAMI in two weeks.

One thing I'll say about long runners with any real marketing potential is that after HxH gets its shot they really are down to just Fairy Tail. OPM isn't a long runner and MHA is just popping off tomorrow and has been speculated to be a seasonal affair, which may or may not usher in a new wave of taking breaks.

Speaking of Fairy Tail it looks to be taking a second hiatus pretty dang soon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Victory by superior voice direction!

Also by being more interesting. And inspiring the best action horror game ever made.

Raxus

Somewhat, in that they are introductory episodes. The actual first handful of episodes are pretty bad and way too fast in '11, skipping over stuff that lessens the impact of future events.

We'll get to that WAAAAAAAAY later in the series. Needless to say it is an odd exclusion.

As far as the opening episodes go I think it sets the mood for the universe which gets darker as the series progresses. There is still plenty of good stuff in the first couple arcs. After those are done it is really balls to the wall.

Also the first part has Hisoka and it is hard to hate anything that has Hisoka.

Oh god, I hope they nail his VA above anyone else.

Side note: The Q&A for Fairy Tale REALLY worry me. Shit gets downright tedious past a certain point. Hunter x Hunter just gets better and better. The 4 long runners are obvious but the three short runners are a bit concerning. I like keeping the block fresh and the fact is one of the 'short' runners is a rerun slot and Champloo (as much as I love it and Bebop) is technically a rerun as well.

Moaradin

The early episodes of Hunter x Hunter are only weak in comparison to what Hunter x Hunter becomes. Next to something like Naruto, it's a damn masterpiece.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
First part is great. It's only really slow for about four episodes.

The early episodes of Hunter x Hunter are only weak in comparison to what Hunter x Hunter becomes. Next to something like Naruto, it's a damn masterpiece.

Arguably Naruto's best part is the part it apes from HxH...and Naruto does most of it better.

Moaradin

I like the Hunter Exams better than the Chunin Exams. Though I've never been that impressed with early Naruto outside of a couple fights like Lee vs Gaara.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
prediction: initial dub complaints will be how Gon and Killua sound too girly

People still will complain about dub Luffy and Gohan in Kai for that reason. I think it sounds perfect for Gohan and pretty great for Luffy.

Raxus

Apart from a few moments I like the Chunin exams better overall. Better fights. Better emotional stakes and it represents a time before Kishi was weighed down by editorial mandates and could give side characters a time to shine.

The Hunter Exam arc has a major problem but one I can't discuss until we are deeper in the series.

So one of those fancy liberal VR doohickies came out huh?

Back in my day there was only one reality, and we hated it.

But seriously, who is pushing VR? All those VR products are gonna go the way of 3D TVs.

Moaradin

Chunin Exams just dragged for me. Hunter Exams had a bunch of different scenarios and kept things fresh and fast paced.

Line_HTX

Isn't it basically just short "shonen" series at this stage, I dont see how length really matters

That's what he said?

I think the length matters a lot more, which is why I don't like this move because HxH is not a short shonen series. To be honest, I'd rather the replacement be My Hero Academia in Space Dandy dubbing speed instead of this.

The Fairy Tail anime just went on another hiatus. Basically a matter of timing, in relation to how much of the story they could adapt at the moment made it a reasonably good stopping point.

Say what you will about Fairy Tail, at least the anime isn't chock full of filler.

Also, I think you would like Fairy Tail Zero, Man God.

It was a pretty good adaptation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Fairy Tail anime just went on another hiatus. Basically a matter of timing, in relation to how much of the story they could adapt at the moment made it a reasonably good stopping point.

Say what you will about Fairy Tail, at least the anime isn't chock full of filler.

It has a half year long filler arc...that's barely any different from a normal arc. If it wasn't for a few small things that bugged me and forced me to look it up I probably never would have figured it out.

Funimation has I think a forty episode gap between when they started simuldubbing and where the dub was up to so I bet I'll be all caught up with FT before the end of the year.

Line_HTX

I actually didn't post at all for two TOONAMI nights last month and still was on top.

Granted, one was the one where no one posted.

March was the first time I was number one in over a year.

You got it in February just barely because I didn't come home for the final weekend, lol.

I blazed through January like nothing, haha.

Regiruler

But seriously, who is pushing VR? All those VR prodcuts are gonna go the way of 3D TVs.
AR is the REAL future.

I'm actually interning at an AR company this summer.

Neoxon

I heard that Viz Media is letting Hunter x Hunter be on Toonami.

JOJO & ONE-PUNCH MAN HAVE A CHANCE, GUYS!!!!!

Mizerman

But seriously, who is pushing VR? All those VR prodcuts are gonna go the way of 3D TVs.

You'll play these VR games and you will moderately enjoy them!

Fairy Tail is supposed to be super generic, no? That basically makes it filler.

Saving the best for last!

Seriously, FT is the last thing over 50 episodes that I can even imagine going to TOONAMI.

I mean...JoJo.

And by the time they even need a new long-runner, who knows what'll be available?

And even then they might decide they'd rather air Yu Yu Hakusho or something.

Neoxon

So, if we do get JoJo & One-Punch Man in the near future, what shows would they have to replace? Assuming that Viz Media rolls with the existing dubs of Parts 1 & 2, they can buy Viz enough time to get Part 3 & eventually Part 4 fully dubbed. Of course, there's the inevitable Dragon Ball Super dub that will likely get on Toonami to consider as well.

kewlmyc

Hunter X Hunter coming to Toonami is great news. I hope we get the movies as well.

Hopefully people like the show on Toonami. The show is kinda dry until the Yorknew arc in my opinion and that's not until episode 50 or so.

So, if we do get JoJo & One-Punch Man in the near future, what shows would they have to replace? Assuming that Viz Media rolls with the existing dubs of Parts 1 & 2, they can buy Viz enough time to get Part 3 & eventually Part 4 fully dubbed. Of course, there's the inevitable Dragon Ball Super dub that will likely get on Toonami to consider as well.

I'm gonna predict there's a Dimension W > My Hero Academia > One Punch Man progression (though it could be ready earlier than that).

I could see JoJo replacing DBZ if Funimation doesn't license anything else.

Line_HTX

They've run through a lot of the marketable and dubbed shows that fit in that 13-26 range lately so you are about on the mark.

There's a new crop coming though and some of these things like HxH just take time to set up. We were still moaning about a lack of knowledge on HxH's fate seven months ago and now its going to be on TOONAMI in two weeks.

One thing I'll say about long runners with any real marketing potential is that after HxH gets its shot they really are down to just Fairy Tail. OPM isn't a long runner and MHA is just popping off tomorrow and has been speculated to be a seasonal affair, which may or may not usher in a new wave of taking breaks.

Speaking of Fairy Tail it looks to be taking a second hiatus pretty dang soon.

Yeah, they have been blowing through a ton of one or two cour series since Space Dandy. I'm just bitching about the long runner thing because I kind of grown weary of it as of late, but like I said it didn't help that the Adult Swim executives decided to axe half of the block. I only want a lot of different variety, is all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But Parasyte won in the end, son. Where is your trump card now, Akame!?!?!

image.php

Neoxon

I'm gonna predict there's a Dimension W > My Hero Academia > One Punch Man progression (though it could be ready earlier than that).

I could see JoJo replacing DBZ if Funimation doesn't license anything else.
I'd be shocked if Funimation didn't get Dragon Ball Super, so that's more of a when than an if. If Funimation gets the license soon & the dub ready by the time Kai wraps up, Super should likely be DBZ Kai's replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom