• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd be shocked if Funimation didn't get Dragon Ball Super, so that's more of a when than an if. If Funimation gets the license soon & the dub ready by the time Kai wraps up, Super should likely be DBZ Kai's replacement.

Funimation was founded on the idea of getting DBZ over in the US. They have an in with TOEI, which while it hasn't guaranteed every single one of their shows has lead them to a long and fruitful relationship. Also everyone else who has tried DBZ met with mixed results. TOONAMI is the place besides some sort of crazy Netflix/Amazon/Hulu money deal. It's definitely the home for it on cable.

Amazing to see how far Toonami has come from where it was before. Half the night was repeats and old shows that had been airing on AS for years and now they have the pick of the litter when it comes to new shows. We made it, boys.

Line_HTX

Hunter X Hunter coming to Toonami is great news. I hope we get the movies as well.

Hopefully people like the show on Toonami. The show is kinda dry until the Yorknew arc in my opinion and that's not until episode 50 or so.

That's how most long runners are, I think. IIRC Yu Yu Hakusho got to the awesomeness fairly quickly, and hell, I remember Bleach "starting to get good" after 20, lol.

Though if you say it doesn't take until 50... Heh...

Neoxon

I mean, if Viz lets Toonami air JoJo & One-Punch Man while Dragon Ball Super gets dubbed in the near future & on Toonami (not to mention the inevitable dub of Attack on Titan Season 2), Toonami may have to expand again.

If around a million people can sit around for the dry points of Naruto, DBZ, and One Piece and still tune in every week, I think Hunter x Hunter will be fine.

Hunter Exam definitely isn't bad tho and neither is Heaven's Arena which is my third favorite arc in the show.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
11:30 to 4 would be perfect, but 12 to 4 would be enough, especially if only the last show was a rerun.

Also deep in my heart of hearts I kinda wanted to be the only person watching and posting about AGK! at 3am.

Line_HTX

I mean, if Viz lets Toonami air JoJo & One-Punch Man while Dragon Ball Super gets dubbed in the near future & on Toonami (not to mention the inevitable dub of Attack on Titan Season 2), Toonami may have to expand again.

I really hope they expand again. Maybe not the 6 1/2 hours like before, but long enough to have some breathing room. The executives made a huge mistake when they cut it initially.

Axe Naruto, push DBZ to 2 AM and let HxH take it's timeslot :p

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. At this point in my life, I think I'm totally done with DBZ and everything afterwards.

Moaradin

Hunter x Hunter doesn't take 50 episodes to get interesting. That's when it becomes top tier.

But before then Hunter Exams and the arc after have a lot of fun stuff. Especially the latter which introduces arguably the best power system in shonen anime.

If around a million people can sit around for the dry points of Naruto, DBZ, and One Piece and still tune in every week, I think Hunter x Hunter will be fine.

Hunter Exam definitely isn't bad tho and neither is Heaven's Arena which is my third favorite arc in the show.
The Toonami audience is a fickle bunch. One Piece gets way worse ratings than it should. You never know how they're gonna react.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, One Piece is almost always the best thing on any given Sunday but it's just never worked out over here. HxH might share in some of its problems as it also has a distinct colorful look.

It's also a very bro show like FF XV, come to think of it.

kewlmyc

I found Hunter x Hunter interesting within the first five episodes, though it takes a bit to get to traditional fighting if I recall.

It not even traditional fighting, my favorite shounen barely has any fights. I went into the series being told it was one of the best shounen ever, but I just thought the Hunter Exam arc was just okay. The tournament was cool, but Yorknew was the arc made me realize why many people consider HxH as one of the best shounens ever made. Before that, I just though it was average and none of the characters other than Hisoka had really grabbed at my attention at that point.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jason fielded some questions, might find interesting.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova

jkMx5v8.png

6lg1nNo.png

I'd agree with Demarco's argument if one of the short run blocks wasn't also the re-run block. Time for that 11:30pm/2am expansion!

Line_HTX

Just fucking kill Family Guy. That piece of shit does not belong EVER.

Boondocks is a superior lead-in than that cancerous Shit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
if they haven't aired Fairy Tail at this point they're not gonna air Fairy Tail

I still think the threat of Fairy Tail airing on is real even if it is not potent. It really is the last of the endless shonen that is really viable and marketable to the current Toonami crowd. We are really reaching down the totem pole if Toriko is actually having a chance at Toonami.

I still think the threat of Fairy Tail airing on is real even if it is not potent. It really is the last of the endless shonen that is really viable and marketable to the current Toonami crowd. We are really reaching down the totem pole if Toriko is actually having a chance at Toonami.

Dunno. Jason and the crew seem pretty adamant about airing Fairy Tail. Remember, they also have to like a show before they choose to pick it up.

Line_HTX

I don't remember DeMarco saying that he likes Fairy Tail, only that they'll take it under consideration since they're getting tons of requests.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dunno. Jason and the crew seem pretty adamant about airing Fairy Tail. Remember, they also have to like a show before they choose to pick it up.

That is probably what is keeping Fairy Tail of the block I do agree, but there may come a time when Fairy Tail is needed. I suppose they could finally indulge TOEI and make World Trigger a thing here.

Line_HTX

Given that what's happened with Toriko, I don't think they'll ever even entertain the idea of putting it on the block if there was nothing else.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Given that what's happened with Toriko, I don't think they'll ever even entertain the idea of putting it on the block if there was nothing else.

Kind of my point, Toriko is a series that bomb so badly Funimation never bothered with dubbing the entire series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm not really sure I want anything to do with World Trigger...

You are not alone, as I understand it TOEI USA was trying to sell World Trigger to, well, anybody really and nobody wanted it. Bombed pretty hard in Japan as well coming in at a mere 72 episodes.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Aniplex's gradual acquisition of series might be what saves us from Fairy Tail since I'm sure it demotivates Funimation from promoting it too much.

I've heard some people say (not just dtl) that world trigger improves.

But let me be clear, that first episode is awful.
I've seen powerpoint presentations with more animation.

Soulflarz

Banned
Your hatred for schoolwork transcends all logic

How so? I've consistently said I hated schoolwork...well...as long as anyone on GAF has known me X_X
(and some have known me pre gaf, not counting the gaffers I went to grade school and high school with)

BBboy20

Also, I'd like to congratulate BBoy20 whose post I saw quoted on 4chan last night when they were making fun of neogaf

YOU MADE IT TO THE BIG TIME FRIEND
What!? How bad is it?

April Fools is fucking stupid.
I exist because of it.

Well...

...I guess I'm watching HunterxHunter.

I can't figure out which of you is which in Miitomo other than the 4 I added
Big B

TMBzDlw.jpg

I can now fight in the hottest game everyone is playing right now.

ALSO:..My mom rediscovered my late brother's Batman Halloween cape and I felt this was a sign that...I really should see a Silly Movie with a Silly Outfit on a Silly Day. What better way to acknowledge your existence then by watching something that I can now ensure you I can write many essays about what is wrong with it, which it being Batman V Superman.

Also: they really killed off Jimmy Olsen just like that.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter x Hunter doesn't take 50 episodes to get interesting. That's when it becomes top tier.

But before then Hunter Exams and the arc after have a lot of fun stuff. Especially the latter which introduces arguably the best power system in shonen anime.

Personally, the Hunter Exam is my favorite part of what I've seen of Hunter X Hunter (i.e. up to Greed Island). Which isn't to say that what comes after it isn't great. Just that that first major arc really stands out to me as being unique amongst most major shounen series. Way more creative and interesting than your "traditional" shounen fights.

BBboy20

Well yeah, WB/DC aren't exactly subtle in milking that Bat. Even the title (and some of the article before the movie came out) all ready gave that vibe.

Still...
The actual reason for them fighting was straight-up character assassination and more in line with a Hanna-Barbara cartoon. It's like they really wanted to kill him off. Making Angry Joe's suspicions correct all along.

Seda

IIRC Naruto's rating have been holding up pretty well for its time slot during this absolutely godawful filler arc. As much as we might want it to get axe, we're stuck with it.

I suppose I wonder how people unfamiliar with HxH will take to the artstyle.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've said this before, but when I have free time I usually decide to do other things than watch anime (or shows/movies in general). 5 episodes of black lagoon OVA is an exception. Im confident I would never have seen HxH otherwise if it didn't air on TV. As silly as it is, a regularly scheduled weekly block in the middle of the night on a Saturday just kinda works with my routines.
I feel the same way. It helps when something else sets the schedule instead of myself because I tend to get distracted by other things, unless it's an anime I'm really looking forward to/wanting to watch, is short, &/or new/airing currently.

Even if I'm not fond of only watching one episode a week of something super long like One Piece, at least I'm still watching it.

Also yay, Parasyte had better ratings overall than Akame ga Kill. Although now that I think about it, this makes it the 2nd show in a row where it got the rerun slot not long after it finished, similar to Kill la Kill. I kind of hope the next rerun is something that isn't still rather "new". I mean, it kind of helps for people who may have missed a week previously, so now they get a chance to see it again, but it was nice rewatching Deadman Wonderland since that was off the air for some time, meaning a new group of people to watch it with & we might've forgotten some things that might've happened.

World Triggers anime adaptation is mediocre but its story content does get really good. I dunno how far the anime gets though I'd say WT kinda reminds me of Bleach in its opening but good. Series starts with humans with special weapons fighting monsters then transitions to humans fighting other humans. The few key things WT does to keep it fresh/fun/good are

1) they don't completely drop the monster attacks, instead they're incorporated into the bigger battles, this lets the main cast primarily fight the human villains while the support cast fights big monsters/musou armies of smaller ones

2) the balance of how the weapons fight both for the friendly competitive scenes and the battles with giant monsters are well thought out and don't really allow for asspull power ups instead relying on good strategy most of the time

3) due to the fact everyone is fighting with trion bodies nobody can die, this may sound like a bad thing, but the series for focuses on how having one character "eject" can truly hurt the team dynamic and cause the tide of battle to turn. This allows characters to be more risky during battles which leads to a lot of cool combo set ups that cleverly combine the various weapons.

Do recommend the manga, its worth checking out

IIRC Naruto's rating have been holding up pretty well for its time slot during this absolutely godawful filler arc. As much as we might want it to get axe, we're stuck with it.

I'd just be happy if they switched One Piece and Naruto's timeslots around. At least I could say I'm not missing anything when I head to bed at 12:30.

I wouldn't want it to get straight up axed tbh since there's still upcoming parts that I really like. I can just sympathize with the people who aren't really feeling having four long running shows on the block and if anything from there should hypothetically get cut for newer and shorter shows, I can live without naruto.

If there's anything I really don't care for, it's the rerun section of the block tho i know why it exists.

Grexeno

You know I wouldn't really mind if One Piece got pushed back to the rerun slot so a new show slot can be freed up again.

Raxus

Luckily we are pulling into a really strong time for the block. One Piece will be pretty solid in canon for a little while, Naruto comes out of filler into two really strong arcs, and Dimension W will likely get replaced with a high profile show (99% it is MHA)

The big ? is what will likely replace Champloo a few months down the line. After that I am pretty sure we will start running into 'reserved' slots for FLCL and Samurai Jack.

Man the block is getting tight to squeeze new shows in. This could be RIP for JoJo hopes :(

Damn shame too I am really taking a shine to Part 4's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom