• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing, though. If we're gonna talk about maintaining the original artistic intent or whatever, doesn't asking developers to tailor their vision to suit all markets also interfere with artistic intent? The only difference is when in the process it happens. Currently, Fallout 3 gets the nuke option taken out after the game is made. But in what you propose, they just tell the guys in charge of that quest that they're not allowed to have that nuke option during development because of Japan. I don't see how that's any better other than you maybe don't find out about it as easily.

And that's not even getting into how many factors an internationally released game would have to consider to begin with.

I will concede that in the case of Fallout 3, I can understand why the nukes would be an issue with the Japanese and I can see why it got changed in Japan.

On the other hand, I highly doubt that the original artistic intent would be noticeably compromised by having the developers tailor their vision to suit all markets for stuff like the bust slider or outfits in Fates and TMS. It's the kind of stuff that can be easily accommodated for without hampering the game itself (at least in my opinion) and the kind of stuff that really shouldn't overshadow the game proper.

Why doesn't Bayonetta 2 count?

I didn't count it personally because it's too obvious of an answer TBH. That and I consider it more of a Platinum game rather than a Nintendo game

Seda

I see how it is, Seda. Don't want to share your secrets for game reviewing. Well fine, I'll start my own game website. With blackjack and hookers.

Sorry, I honestly try not to talk about it all too much. I help out at www.rpgsite.net. It's all volunteer. We're essentially a small group of primarily role-playing game fans that kinda mixes news, reviews, forum, and chatroom. We're not huge, but have developed a following. We like our niche. I don't think we're looking for more staff at the moment.

I write reviews sometimes. We do audio/video stuff sometimes.

I will concede that in the case of Fallout 3, I can understand why the nukes would be an issue with the Japanese and I can see why it got changed in Japan.

On the other hand, I highly doubt that the original artistic intent would be compromised by having the developers tailor their vision to suit all markets for stuff like the bust slider or outfits in Fates and TMS. It's the kind of stuff that can be easily accommodated for without hampering the game itself (at least in my opinion) and the kind of stuff that really shouldn't overshadow the game proper.

The other side of the issue is that this isn't really gonna add to our experience; it's just gonna take away from everyone else, or even take away from our experience in certain cases. And that just strikes me as....kind of pointless? Like, then it just becomes about having the peace of mind that someone's not playing stuff you can't play. We're not getting that content by asking for parity; we're just taking it away from everyone else to feel better about not getting it.

Please. I already rate games on a scale of blackjack to hookers.

But being at opposite ends of the scale implies one of them is bad.

Line_HTX

yeah basically

EDIT

I gotta say, staying actively away from the Gaming Side has genuinely improved my mood overall, and not insignificantly. There's a part of me wondering if I'll return to checking it even after finishing up with school.

Pretty much the same. The only time I'm ever talking about anything gaming related is either at Fighting Game Headquarters or during OT's for major tournaments. I'm not playing much of anything at the moment until I find the right time to play games consistently again, so I just stay away from that section altogether.

Besides FGHQ, I really enjoy the Off Topic Communities I take part in.

Mizerman

yeah basically

EDIT

I gotta say, staying actively away from the Gaming Side has genuinely improved my mood overall, and not insignificantly. There's a part of me wondering if I'll return to checking it even after finishing up with school.

I don't blame you. Some of those topics are like "yeesh" and it's not really worth it.

BBboy20

Even attempting to dilute down to a isolated point will only get shit out of control; I actually tried with Overwatch and all I did was light another fire that ended up derailing that game's OT.

I've never had many issues in gaming. As long as your careful the worst case scenario is usually arguing opinions with someone else about games. I find OT worse where almost any thread can turn into a debate about race or religion.

Jarate

Banned
gamings main issue is that it's still, on the year 2016, filled with some of the most rabid and silly fanboys on earth. Console wars happen for no reason. This has been happening though since ive been here, it's why I basically signed up for an account to post in the Rock Band thread for a while, Im generally never that interested in talking games outside of very small forums and communities.

OT has gotten a lot worse over the years. But maybe that is also nostalgia towards it. It has gotten a lot more rabid in its morality debates though.

I generally use gaming as a news site, but tbh, ive kind of become pretty disenfranchised with gaming news and what's happening recently. I understand why people are really mad at stuff, but these types of stories dont really interest me tbh, just makes me kind of depressed. Also, the state of Western games, and my favorite genre, the fps, is in a horrid fucking state that makes me just not give a shit about checking on news everyday.

Luckily Overwatch is coming out soon. I'd probably be playing that and not top posting on the Toonami thread if I got into the beta :/

also, any cali people on here? I know we generally abide by east coast times due to airing, but ill be in San Fran next week with my brothers wedding. If there are, we should meet up and play some video games

BBboy20

gamings main issue is that it's still, on the year 2016, filled with some of the most rabid and silly fanboys on earth.
Eh.
also, any cali people on here? I know we generally abide by east coast times due to airing, but ill be in San Fran next week with my brothers wedding. If there are, we should meet up and play some video games
I live far up north in Cali.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
oh, so now you're telling me I have to write well. Well, I'll have you know, I made a thread on gaming that broke down why Tecmo Superbowl for the NES was a competitive masterpiece that got 0 replies

I wish I wasnt a perfectionist with all of my work. I do a lot of stuff that im horrified of ever putting online because I have a huge fear of becoming Andrew Dobson

Naah, you have to try to be as big of a shithead as Andrew Dobson. Just accept criticism, don't be a hypocrite, and don't tell a young woman grieving about her father's passing to "calm her tits"

I just want to yell "chill the fuck out!" to everyone all the time :p

Does that make sense?

I agree with this so much. I care more for the game aspect of the fucking game. I don't care about altered outfits or weird face touching or characters getting aged up. As long as the gameplay stays the same or has a good reason to be changed (Bravely Second's were done in response to fan backlash about being too repetitive) then I really don't care.

Raxus

I never thought adaptations could be hard but watching Assassination Classroom is reminding me how important it is to have competent pacing and direction in adaptation. Thankfully HxH mostly has this down in spades.

The other side of the issue is that this isn't really gonna add to our experience; it's just gonna take away from everyone else, or even take away from our experience in certain cases. And that just strikes me as....kind of pointless? Like, then it just becomes about having the peace of mind that someone's not playing stuff you can't play. We're not getting that content by asking for parity; we're just taking it away from everyone else to feel better about not getting it.

That's assuming the Japanese developers won't add something if they think westerners would criticize it or find it creepy. What is also within the realm of possibility is that, if a game is being developed with the localization in the works, they could talk to the localization team about said product and how they can add said thing to the game without it coming off poorly in the west.

In any case, I've been talking about hypotheticals this entire time. There's nothing I've said that can change what's already been changed, minor or otherwise, or to put a swift end to the localization conversation (which I'm getting really, really tired of having TBH).

I'm getting a dead link.

Subscriptions are how i browse GAF. Always keep them up to date. I only venture into OT and Gaming when I'm on the bus and want to read some random news story thread for funny replies.

i got sbf, street fighter v, fighting game headquarters, giant bomb, melty, nfl, toonami and weekend fighting game tourney threads open all the time.

That way i usually don't have to browse gaf or my subscriptions to find these threads because I'm too lazy to look for these threads or use the sub feature.

I usually have only two or three tabs open at once.

I'm not one of those monsters who has like 50 open, and freaks out when people try to close one.

I'm not Woolie.

Line_HTX

Tabs that I primarily have open all the time:

NFL
Anime
Fighting Game Headquarters
Toonami
NHL
Formula 1

And various other pages, pictures, Twitter accounts, and random other threads that I find interesting to lurk... I have too many tabs open.

(。◕ ∀ ◕。)

I never thought adaptations could be hard but watching Assassination Classroom is reminding me how important it is to have competent pacing and direction in adaptation. Thankfully HxH mostly has this down in spades.

Did I miss something the first 30 episodes between seasons 1 and 2 have all been solid.

Raxus

Did I miss something the first 30 episodes between seasons 1 and 2 have all been solid.

Personally I find the editing really awkward and at times a little too dense when some material needs some room to breathe. It could just be I just finished reading the entire manga in a few sittings so I am much more critical.

Seda

Wait you guys keep multiple threads open? I just check my subscriptions page.

My typical browser tabs are:

Email
Chatroom
Neogaf Sub page
Music

Personally I find the editing really awkward and at times a little too dense when some material needs some room to breathe. It could just be I just finished reading the entire manga in a few sittings so I am much more critical.

I dunno about the recent anime stuff (just watched the episode where they fixed up the old man's school) but so far I've thought everything was well paced and edited with minor story lines cut for time or rearranged fairly well. Could the series have made good use of an extra 2-4 episodes? Sure, but compared to so many other anime adaptations I'd say assassination classroom does it fairly well. Any issues AC has had so far could be compared to some of the pacing issues hxh 2011 has which again I feel is fairly minor all things considered.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This thread
imgur
facebook for messenger
usually bulbapedia or serebii
amazon

That's what my bar usually looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom