• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Zonic is rocking that jojo avatar

also, the Candy Corn hate is disgusting in this thread, let's accept tevery food for what they are

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
BLESS YOU, DISCOTEK. Next Tuesday, they're re-releasing the complete Cromartie High series. For only $28 on Amazon compared to $40 for each "volume" or $80 for the entire collection, so glad it'll be easy to get this series again. Can't wait to re-watch it & introduce it to my friend.

now hurry up & release Sega Hard Girls, Discotek, you freakin' announced it Feb. last year

mirrors edge 2 is fun

Can you dodge combat without slowing down?

LWmWaLa.gif

You ever wonder how many jobbers would still be alive if they didn't fight a hero near a ledge?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Getting cavities filled sucks.
oh crap, I keep forgetting to schedule an appointment to get 2 cavities taken care of.....I was told to do that like 2 or 3 weeks ago.....it's a pain having 3rd shift sleeping hours when places tend to close not long after you wake up.

So I was playing the Ratchet & Clank game, and I was having a good time.

Then I got to the hoverboard races, and it was like running into a brick wall. I was playing on hard.
I had to put the difficulty down to beat the final race. Maybe I'm missing something, but that race seemed impossible on hard.

It's rare for a game to make me lower the difficulty. (Damn you XCOM!)

this weekend's ep of HxH is 22:04

Departaure has..............
partially departed.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hopefully the show can hold a 1,000,000+ for the foreseeable future.

Mizerman

So that's why it's called Departure, because after its original full run, it's departing the block.

*Throws tomatoes*

this weekend's ep of HxH is 22:04

Are we sure they aren't doing another final act situation where the op plays in full and the ed is super condensed?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Are we sure they aren't doing another final act situation where the op plays in full and the ed is super condensed?
Might've been part of Viz's demands for their shows on the block.

...................though I'd totally be okay with this if they demanded this for One Punch Man.

Seda

OP for HxH is great

I like it and I've only seen it a few times. I think Zonic said in our podcast that "it felt like an anime op" but I dunno, I thought it seemed less generic than most. It had ...... character.

Not trashing Zonic, just sharing an opinion/thought.

Jarate

Banned
I like it and I've only seen it a few times. I think Zonic said in our podcast that "it felt like an anime op" but I dunno, I thought it seemed less generic than most. It had ...... character.

Not thrashing Zonic, just sharing an opinion/thought.

that's ok b, I'll trash Zonic for you

Zonic, your opinions are shit, your favorite anime is shit!

It is very anime though. Very 80's/90/s rocky.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To be fair, most anime OPs (& EDs) kind of blend together for me & I just skip them. I wasn't really saying it as a bad thing, per say, just "eeh, it's okay".

To put it this way, the ones that did stand out to me are (off the top of my head): One Punch Man, all the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OPs, Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Jojo Part 1

Edit: & I mean this musically.

Seda

Relates but barely interesting, (I think) the music cut for the last two Shippuden endings changed at some point during the airing. Kinda weird.

Jarate

Banned
To be fair, most anime OPs (& EDs) kind of blend together for me & I just skip them. I wasn't really saying it as a bad thing, per say, just "eeh, it's okay".

To put it this way, the ones that did stand out to me are (off the top of my head): One Punch Man, all the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OPs, Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Jojo Part 1

Edit: & I mean this musically.

Fist of the north star is missing

bigkrev

Not trashing Zonic, just sharing an opinion/thought.

Here is the problem with Departure- it's the only OP the show gets! And there are long stretches of the show where the material contrasted with "You can smile again!" Gives a real SHINY SHINY feel.

The endings are all top notch, even if I personally dislike the 4th one.

Cwarrior

there is toei quality and then there was what world trigger got which throughout the first episode there is barely any moments where more than one thing moves on the screen.
I don't typically care about animation quality to much, but it was just painful to watch as it was basically just a ton of stills with a single character moving @_@

No I thought the art and animation of epiosde 1 was awful, safe to say the show get's vastly better latter on, as toei finally start pumping the show with better animators both in-house and freelance, as the show goes on it slowly get's better looking.

By episode 14 is when the action finaly kicks off after all the world building, it starts looking and animating better.

Well video speak louder then worlds, even it's hard to find any videos on youtube here some examples.

Spoiler later episode looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVUlTyPQM9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9hyhBBKCQ

Can't find any video of B rank arc but the main fights are some best tactical fights to happen in anime.

world_trigger_op2_by_aims774-d9mmvy4.gif

Opening showcases all the new animators toei added later to the serise

When you see this opening that's when you know finally hit the sweet gravy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fist of the north star is missing
Okay, yeah, that one's pretty decent.

But outside of One Punch Man, I'm hard pressed to think of the last anime (not on Toonami) where I didn't feel like skipping the OP 95% of the time. Excluding the awful Akame ga Kill OP Sentai made for Toonami, I also can't think of a lot of anime where I was like "oh god this OP/ED is TERRIBLE" Edit: Well okay, Lucky Star's, perhaps, but that's more "oh god I used to LIKE this?"

It's very rare for me to notice the music in an anime (unless it's something like Kai or Parasyte where it gets tracks recycled a lot), be it its OP, ED, or just in the anime itself. That's why when something like Champloo comes along, it really stands out to me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh right, Viva Namida is also a good OP, because I just listened to it during work this morning/last night on my phone.

I'd count Dragon Soul if we got the freakin' Vic version.

If it matters, this was the first time I saw HxH's OP, so maybe it just needs to grow on me after a few weeks?

I'm trying to remember the last time there was a mature (read: T-rated) Nintendo game that wasn't overshadowed by some kind of localization bollocks. It's depressing how I'm drawing a blank for the most part.

And no Bayonetta 2 doesn't count.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to remember the last time there was a mature (read: T-rated) Nintendo game that wasn't overshadowed by some kind of localization bollocks. It's depressing how I'm drawing a blank for the most part.

And no Bayonetta 2 doesn't count.
Smash Bros Brawl?

....though yes, it's getting quite tiresome hearing a new "OMG THIS GOT CHANGED FROM ITS US VERSION" to the point the first thing people want to know is if it's the same as the Japanese version with games on Nintendo systems being the main culprits lately.

bigkrev

I've read every chapter of World Trigger and couldn't tell you a single thing about its plot. It's seemingly been stuck in the same training arc for the last 3 years

I've read every chapter of World Trigger and couldn't tell you a single thing about its plot. It's seemingly been stuck in the same training arc for the last 3 years

I mean it's not that hard to figure out if you actually read it, I could explain it to you but that would be derailing this topic.

Smash Bros Brawl?

....though yes, it's getting quite tiresome hearing a new "OMG THIS GOT CHANGED FROM ITS US VERSION" to the point the first thing people want to know is if it's the same as the Japanese version with games on Nintendo systems being the main culprits lately.

Oh yeah, smash Brawl (or 4 since it's more recent) counts I suppose. I don't think anyone was worried about the localization since they were worried about every other aspect about the game.

I honestly dread the announcement of a new Fire Emblem because you just know the majority of conversations won't be about the gameplay, or the characters, or how the story will suck a fat one because IntSys can't write a decent story for shit, but whether or not that one female character's left buttock will be covered up in the NoA version or how a shorts and a t-shirt combo might get removed over here because it reveals their arms and legs.

I exaggerate of course, (because the moment they actually do the latter is the moment they've officially gone off the deep end) but
hopefully
you can see where I'm coming from.

Jarate

Banned
Smash Bros Brawl?

I think Nintendo needs to learn two things

1) Stop releasing games 6-8 months after Japans release
2) Quit being overzealous in removal of stuff and localization. This isn't the 1990's anymore

I mean, if you look at it logically, Nintendo is pissing off a large part of their fan base over something that really shouldn't be an issue anymore. People want their Japanese products to be Japanese products, flaws and all.

And what are fans supposed to be excited about. Theyve seen the game for like 3-4 months completed in Japan. What do you expect them to talk about? There's only so much discussion points to have, especially in todays markets when games get ripped apart so freaking fast.

It's just more signs that Nintendo is stuck in the past, a problem the company has had since the SNES. I think people h ave the right to be frustrated with things getting taken out or stuff being removed if that's what they want. I understand it dominates topics, but like I said earlier, if you want people to discuss the games themselves, don't force people to wait months to play it.

I mean the only thing I find concerning about the upcoming TMS#FE is that we might be losing the hot springs dlc which if it has an actual dungeon or unique gameplay would be a bigger issue for us to not get then any of the stuff people have cried about in the past. If said dlc is just a 15 minute fan service scene with some bonus costumes then I won't lose sleep over it. I'll forever be salty about the game not being dubbed but that's neither here nor there.

I mean, if you look at it logically, Nintendo is pissing off a large part of their fan base over something that really shouldn't be an issue anymore. People want their Japanese products to be Japanese products, flaws and all.

You are greatly over estimating the vocal internet whiners on neogaf/twitter/reddit/etc. Despite the massive amount of complaints about Fire Emblem Fates it's gone on to be the fastest and best selling FE game in the history of North American FE. TMS#FE will probably lose more sales over it's lack of dub more then it's rumored panties -> spats and cut hot springs dlc. The people who "boycott" games like these often weren't going to buy them new anyways OR they end up buying them once the game comes out and positive reviews and feedback about how fun it is to play and they give up on their boycott efforts. The only real mistake NoA has made in the past few years was sitting on Xenoblade Chronicles because they thought it wouldn't sell in NA along with not releasing fully in English games like Trace Memory R and Last Window.

I had already read the entirety of the (available) HxH manga when I watched the show so the opening resonated so well with me because it made me anticipate seeing all those moments that made me fall in love with the series in the first place.

Jarate

Banned
You are greatly over estimating the vocal internet whiners on neogaf/twitter/reddit/etc. Despite the massive amount of complaints about Fire Emblem Fates it's gone on to be the fastest and best selling FE game in the history of North American FE. TMS#FE will probably lose more sales over it's lack of dub more then it's rumored panties -> spats and cut hot springs dlc. The people who "boycott" games like these often weren't going to buy them new anyways OR they end up buying them once the game comes out and positive reviews and feedback about how fun it is to play and they give up on their boycott efforts.

I understand it's a vocal minority, but these things do affect the industry and how people view them. Yes, we all laugh at neogaf posters, but basically all my ffriends go on to reddit or some other normie sites. Imagine just the few thousand people who saw stuff about that and got pushed away.

Fates is the fastest selling Fire Emblem game because the series has gone from literally obscure to being an important well advertised product. I saw commercials for Fates, I don't remember any type of advertising from Nintendo on the gamecube or GBA games. It's hard for me to say that they aren't pissing off fans just because one game sold well.

The thing about TMS is that its edits seems to be an attempt to move towards appealing to the "mainstream" so to speak, but the western mainstream is not going to be interested in the Japanese entertainment industry, Japanese Idols and the like. Meanwhile, the demographic that this game is appealing to won't be amused by the changes made, particularly if we do lose the Hot Springs DLC (which we will given the significant amount of evidence pointing to its removal). At that point you have to ask yourself who is this game for (if you haven't asked that already due to its background and premise).

I think that the best thing for Nintendo to do, going forward, is to make it a point that game content is identical across all regions. If a bust slider is in the Japanese release, you keep it in the western versions. If NoA wants hot springs to be excised, you axe it in the Japanese version as well. That way you don't have you the problems that have plagued recent releases and maybe Treehouse can regain some of the respect it deserves.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I mean the only thing I find concerning about the upcoming TMS#FE is that we might be losing the hot springs dlc which if it has an actual dungeon or unique gameplay would be a bigger issue for us to not get then any of the stuff people have cried about in the past. If said dlc is just a 15 minute fan service scene with some bonus costumes then I won't lose sleep over it. I'll forever be salty about the game not being dubbed but that's neither here nor there.
My understanding is there's two DLC Hot Springs packs (one with the girls & one with the guys. Funny enough, the guys is twice the price as the girls) where you get new costumes for said gender then a "special TV program" where you watch said characters in said costumes talk about the hot springs they're in.

It's not even towels, just swimsuits. Men, Women.

So once again, swimsuits = too lewd for Nintendo. I do agree I'd be more annoyed at gameplay being removed/altered, but it's still disappointing for what is going to be a rather niche game. Granted, considering this is Nintendo & how they want to keep their reputation as family friendly as possible at times if they're directly involved with the development (I totally understand & side with them with Xenoblade X, though question Fatal Frame).

I don't know, I've pretty much voiced all that I can with previous stuff like Bravely Default, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade X, Criminal Girls, etc.

I understand it's a vocal minority, but these things do affect the industry and how people view them. Yes, we all laugh at neogaf posters, but basically all my ffriends go on to reddit or some other normie sites. Imagine just the few thousand people who saw stuff about that and got pushed away.

Fates is the fastest selling Fire Emblem game because the series has gone from literally obscure to being an important well advertised product. I saw commercials for Fates, I don't remember any type of advertising from Nintendo on the gamecube or GBA games. It's hard for me to say that they aren't pissing off fans just because one game sold well.

Most of Nintendo's fans and new fans bought Fates, the vocal minority that complain don't even amount to 1%. There's no reason for Nintendo to cater to those people for three reasons

1) That group can't even agree with what they want half the time

2) That group isn't buying in large enough numbers to have any significant sway on their bottom line

3) That group will find something to complain about anyways regardless of how many hoops you jump though for them

And lets be real here for a moment, most of America sees the things Nintendo took out and went "good cause that was creepy" like the skimpy bikinis for the 13 year old girl in XCX, or the face petting mini game in Fates, and seemingly the removal of panties/panty shots from the upcoming TMS#FE. These are the same people who look at the controversy surrounding ScarJo in GitS and say "but most anime characters look white anyways who cares".

Nintendo has always pissed off some of their fans for as long as they've been a company to have fans. Some people are never satisfied and you can't cater your corporate policy to those people since unlike Japan that super niche core isn't buying enough to justify bending over for them. If anything the controversy some people stir up over localization changes when they get out to the larger public they look at hardcore gamers and go "ugh what's wrong with them".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom