• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Akame Ga Kill! :D

b3a.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Something tells me...

...you're staying up for KOF news.

Great sketch, though.

I wonder what gave you the hint? ;)

Thanks!

What's this KOF pixels stuff for?

Prince Salva's eyes, LOL

GEEESSSSE!!

In like less than an hour and a half, hope to be watching SNKP on their Official Twitch stream channel. Which are words I still never thought would fit together, haha.
Even if I'm wrong at that time conversion (I don't even know anymore, lol), trailer should premier in a few hours after that. So whichever! Still up for that.

Poor Salva, no man should ever see his brother get anime-blood-splatt'd!

AAAANNNNNNDDDYYYY!!!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Team Shonen is the secret DLC boss team in KoF XIV

PogChamp

Works for MKX, I wouldn't hate them for it! Proper Luffy in a KoF would fit in surprisingly well. One of the teammates would have to be stupidly nostalgic though, like... Ashita no Joe or something, just for kicks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Watching Sony Promote Overwatch in Japanese feels oddly fitting. Japanese voices over radio communication always makes me think of GIANT ROBOTS, whereas with anything else, it's just... radio.

And the Red Dead looking cowboy guy sounds like Jotaro. Yare Yare Daze!

... I probably should have included some Star Fox Zero in the SkeDump. Beat one path through with my brother today, loved every janky-ish minute of it.

Raxus

Great stuff SAB.

Here is what is going on in Salva's head right now.

I HAVE been enjoying Dimension W but man they cram too much into these recent episodes that I actually kind of miss the early episodes where the content had room to breathe. One major character was introduced this episode (unless he was mentioned in passing and I missed it) and we are 9 episodes in. I feel I missed several episodes.

Inuyasha TFA pacing aside it was still pretty enjoyable in other aspects.

I am actually trying to think of another Toonami show where I cared less about what was going on then in Dimension W. The dub is decent but I don't really care for the story or world building at all.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Maan, I can't believe I fell asleep so early. Good thing I recorded the rest.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
TIME TRAVEL! Because fuck you.
Basically, we begin building up
Cell

Dimension W:
I'd care more for the story if I cared for any of the characters, but I really don't. Not to mention way too much exposition and technobabble and it all goes way too fast. This should be been 24 episodes to slow things down. And apparently there was stuff cut from the manga so that only makes things worse.
Three episodes left.

Hunter x Hunter:
Everything is exams! Bus trap, pop quiz, magical beasts. It does do a good job setting up some of the HxH world and just how dangerous it is if a prospective Hunter must go through all this.

Samurai Champloo:
Damn, character of the week had it rough. But he went out like a badass, on fire!
Apparently this was the end of "Season 1" in Japan. The show took a few months off and came back. In America though it was one continuous airing.

Naaaarrrrddd....
How the hell are there still three episodes of this filler arc left? This could have been like 9.

One Piece:
KISHISHISHISHIIIII! Gekko Moriah is here, and perfectly cast. We also see Perona and Absalom, two of the arc's generals.
This is gonna be a loooong night.

Raxus

Naaaarrrrddd....
How the hell are there still three episodes of this filler arc left? This could have been like 9.

Something something place called home.

Make it 20 episodes.

Edit: I just counted this filler is a whopping 23 episodes of mostly filler or entirely filler. That is right Naruto spent nearly 2 whole cours spinning its wheels Where ENTIRE STORIES are typically told in other anime. Just dwell on that.

Something something place called home.

Make it 20 episodes.

Edit: I just counted this filler is a whopping 23 episodes of mostly filler or entirely filler. That is right Naruto spent nearly 2 whole cours spinning its wheels Where ENTIRE STORIES are typically told in other anime. Just dwell on that.

They told an entire story tho.

You don't care about the story of Guren and screaming girl?

Josh5890

I made it to about ten minutes into Naruto before I fell asleep. I liked DBZ, Hunter, and One Piece (watched this morning). The set up at the end of One Piece was really good.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Heh, I believe it! And thanks!

I think most know I'm not one for brevity, but I'll attempt it for this week's Toonami Eps.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: I don't remember these details being as fleshed out before as they are here. So it's kinda nice to see it all. I liked seeing Chichi have ONE MOMENT when she played an overall mom, (putting Trunks fears to rest), rather than just a raving Gohan-pusher. The amount of Parallel and Divergent timelines are nuts.

Dimension W: I didn't have much issue following this... I like the designs enough in the show that it's odd pacing and forced speed don't bother me much. It's much like Darker Than Black, in that I can enjoy it for what it is, rather than what it isn't. The speed helps balance out the slow of the rest of the block...

Hunter x Hunter: If I didn't know more about the show, I wouldn't be gripped yet. I'm interested, sure, but EVERYTHING IS AN EXAM keeps going on. Gon's endearing, but he's SO SHONEN, lol. I do appreciate the more nostalgic-ish anime beats, as I mentioned the show's episodic characters last night reminded me of something out of Slayers or something. That feels good.

Samurai Champloo: Human Torch guest appearance? WOHO- wait, never mind. Jin kills an old near-brother to him, and MUGEN ACTUALLY CLEARS UP A MISUNDERSTANDING rather than killing everyone who'se after him? I actually feel like Jin is more ruthless when you look at things in detail? Yes I'm an SNK fanboy, all I could think during the burning of the village was "Nooo, Nakoruru's tribe!". FItting as the musician honored in the ending was an actual Ainu too...

Naruslo: I'd appreciate Guren (Lagaan? Shippukyaku?) if this story was shorter. This bishieboyBailey has run his course. Lets make him into Maka and end things the saga filler with a fun Soul Eater Crossover!

One Piece: HOROHOROHORO! I actually first learned of Perona via Pirate Warriors 2... Well, as far as really getting to know more than her look. It's cool to start seeing this stuff in person. Thriller Bark isn't just a crazy name about a nutso tree?

Parasyte: I thought Migi's sleepiness was something that started to happen more later. It's funny to hear Shin'chi sounding Wim'py again. I don't mind Murano questioning if he's really himself. Less than the "payoff" in the end, the idea that a high school boy (which naturally is putting on airs) might not be himself, no matter how "normal" he thinks he appears (and compared to later), and that we have to ask "is this who he really is? Or another façade?" is... really fine by me.

Brevity: Failed once again!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Naruto is THE anime of redeeming and befriending serial killers and monsters. Even the series' main goal is to bring back Psycho Sasuke.

Spoilers
Orochimaru gets away with everything, and is still allowed to conduct experiments. What the fuck?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This.

Even as a kid, I knew Naruto sucked.
I think I only watched it because as a kid, TV was my only real source for anime & the first few episodes I enjoyed, so I pretty much took anything that I could until I got better internet & learned of all the stuff I could watch online.

But man, even during the Zabuto (or whatever that name was), I could feel myself just wanting this to be done & over with....then I thought it was but NOPE WE GOTTA TRAIN TO FIGHT HIM AGAIN AARRRGGHHHHH I don't know why I kept watching it, maybe because it was part of Toonami & I had nothing else for anime at the time.

The biggest problem with Naruto is that the core conflict doesn't work.

Naruto rivalry/friendship with Sasuke makes no sense over time. The whole theme of a forged talent vs innate talent goes right out the fucking window when
Naruto basically becomes Jesus.

Naruto is that franchise that has good moments, and if you focus on those moments long enough, you can kind of ignore how busted the series is, but it still can't save the series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The biggest problem with Naruto is that the core conflict doesn't work.

Naruto rivalry/friendship with Sasuke makes no sense over time. The whole theme of a forged talent vs innate talent goes right out the fucking window when
Naruto basically becomes Jesus.

Naruto is that franchise that has good moments, and if you focus on those moments long enough, you can kind of ignore how busted the series is, but it still can't save the series.

Naruto and Sasuke needed to spend way more time together before the split happened. The anime had the right idea when they put a filler arc between the end of the chunin exam and the Sauske retrieval arc, only there needed to be more than one extra arc. My only other complains are the power levels go way too high compared to where the story starts and the supporting cast doesn't get nearly enough screen time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom